ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t we pursuing Turner Corcoran or Andrew Gentry?

ChuckThomas12

Team MVP
Jan 15, 2016
Western Iowa
Both of these kids are borderline 5 Star elite level Tackles. Ranked #40 and #50 overall in the Rivals100.

Corcoran is less than 300 miles away from Iowa City, and would be a HUGE get. He’s got offers from everyone - Bama, Clemson, Ohio St & Notre Dame. Appears to be a Oklahoma lean at the moment. Easily the most highly recruited kid in our region for a hogmollie, and we all know the University of Iowa is better than anyone else at churning out NFL Offensive linemen. Did we even offer? ISU did.

Gentry is a bit farther away (Colorado kid), but same story - ELITE level talent with about 40 offers to his name. I feel like with our sterling reputation both of these kids would be doing a disservice to themselves to not (at the very least) even consider Iowa for their football careers.

Why no offer to either one? Baffling to me. We are known for our offensive line, you’d think they would at least listen to what our coaching staff has to say. I’m shocked we didn’t extend an offer.

Both of these kids are borderline 5 Star elite level Tackles. Ranked #40 and #50 overall in the Rivals100.

Corcoran is less than 300 miles away from Iowa City, and would be a HUGE get. He’s got offers from everyone - Bama, Clemson, Ohio St & Notre Dame. Appears to be a Oklahoma lean at the moment. Easily the most highly recruited kid in our region for a hogmollie, and we all know the University of Iowa is better than anyone else at churning out NFL Offensive linemen. Did we even offer? ISU did.

Gentry is a bit farther away (Colorado kid), but same story - ELITE level talent with about 40 offers to his name. I feel like with our sterling reputation both of these kids would be doing a disservice to themselves to not (at the very least) even consider Iowa for their football careers.

Why no offer to either one? Baffling to me. We are known for our offensive line, you’d think they would at least listen to what our coaching staff has to say. I’m shocked we didn’t extend an offer.

I don't know a lot about these two but maybe the staff has reached out and they both said no thanks not what were looking for. So the staff did the smart thing and is not wasting their time. Another possibility is the coaches think we are set at tackle for the next 2-3 seasons and these guy want to play early and the staff can't offer that.

No knowing either kid, maybe the staff knows something we don’t.
Exactly, I’m sure they know of them, but they aren’t going to just throw an offer out because they have a good rating, particularly if they’ve reached out and gotten no interest. I’m sure ISU just sees the stars and throws and offer, doesn’t mean they have any more chance of landing them than the hawks.

If there is no offer, there is a reason.

Reactions: rchawk

With all due respect, Iowa State offers everyone. LOL

My assumption is the coaching staff is pleased with the kids we have around here. Maybe we called them, but I don't think if I were the coaches I would spend much time trying to recruit a kid that Bama and every other power blue blood is offering cuz the chances he chooses Iowa is zilch to none. Remember Ross Pierschbacher? A Ceder Falls kid whom was supposedly a Hawkeye fan and had committed to Iowa until Bama called and he couldn't decommit fast enough. So, while I might consider tossing an offer to the kid, I sure wouldn't waste much of the coaches recruiting time on him.

Just a biased Husker fan but I believe Corcoran will be a Husker. Recruiting sites see him a Husker lean as well.

I'm confused as well on why Iowa wouldn't offer top local talent either OP. No troll. Iowa has a nice OL history, that at least should be somewhat appealing to someone like Corcoran. I know he plans to stay local, hence why he eliminated OSU from his top list. I don't think either would have picked Iowa, but you'd think they deserve an offer.

All that said, Corcoran is N. Rumor is he committed to Neb last night. Him and Benehart are great building blocks at OT. OT was a position Neb had struggled to recruit under Pelini and esp Riley.

Some kids don't want to play at Iowa, it's pretty simple. Why a top OL would go to Nebraska baffles me, but that's recruiting for ya.

I'm confused as well on why Iowa wouldn't offer top local talent either OP. No troll. Iowa has a nice OL history, that at least should be somewhat appealing to someone like Corcoran. I know he plans to stay local, hence why he eliminated OSU from his top list. I don't think either would have picked Iowa, but you'd think they deserve an offer.

All that said, Corcoran is N. Rumor is he committed to Neb last night. Him and Benehart are great building blocks at OT. OT was a position Neb had struggled to recruit under Pelini and esp Riley.
My guess is Ferentz feels he can get the same results from a local kid, as he has had good luck developing local kids into NFL caliber lineman. Hell, there is a decent list of Iowa boys already out there..>Robert Gallery, Brandon Scherff, Marshall Yanda and Austin Blythe just to name a few. So, I think Kirk doesn't feel the need to chase OL prospects when he seems to get decent ones from here in the state, Illinois or Wisconsin.

OL is one of the positions where fans shouldn’t really be questioning recruiting or development. Throw TE and DB in the same boat.
Agreed. People when they look and see that we have several players get drafted each year wonder why that doesn't compute into more victories. We usually have what, 4 to 6 draftable players compared to tOSU who has there whole roster full of NFL draftable players. We are always good at certain positions, and if we could ever get the complete roster up to the specs of the OL, DB and TE's, we would be playing tOSU in the championship game and competing for a CFP bid. I would say most of our good years we are just a couple players short of having that great season. But I don't lose any sleep on OL recruits, if Kirk thinks a kid can play OL I don't concern myself with his star rating. Now if the football gods would just drop a Rondale Moore and a punter into our laps, I would be creaming my pants. :)

Reactions: desihawk

Will be committing to the Huskers this weekend.

Reactions: AZHusker1979

You gotta be sh*tting me, that Corcoran kid is in Lincoln today for their Spring Game? I didn’t realize Nubs were in contention for his services. I thought he was Ohio State or Oklahoma bound. UGH. The last thing we need is for Nebraska to start getting elite OL over there.

I don't know a lot about these two but maybe the staff has reached out and they both said no thanks not what were looking for. So the staff did the smart thing and is not wasting their time. Another possibility is the coaches think we are set at tackle for the next 2-3 seasons and these guy want to play early and the staff can't offer that.

I’m pretty sure he isn’t going to walk into campus for Alabama, Clemson, ND, etc etc and be a Day 1 starter - so I doubt that’s the reason he wasn’t offered. Besides, we ARENT “set” at the tackle spot to the point where we would turn down 5 Star level tackles. Don’t be silly.

OL is one of the positions where fans shouldn’t really be questioning recruiting or development. Throw TE and DB in the same boat.

My guess is Ferentz feels he can get the same results from a local kid, as he has had good luck developing local kids into NFL caliber lineman. Hell, there is a decent list of Iowa boys already out there..>Robert Gallery, Brandon Scherff, Marshall Yanda and Austin Blythe just to name a few. So, I think Kirk doesn't feel the need to chase OL prospects when he seems to get decent ones from here in the state, Illinois or Wisconsin.

Yeah, why would we chase 5 star Left Tackles when we can just get ours from “here in state, Illinois or Wisconsin”....because c’mon, we are basically at the pinnacle of college football with no room for improvement....evidenced by all the National, er I mean Conference, er wait, I mean Division Championships we have. Like that one in 2015. Right?

Iowa may have sent out correspondence ... and the kid may not have ever replied ... or, if he had, maybe he didn't come off well to the coaches.

The coaches tend to only pursue guys who WANT to be Hawks ... so there has to be mutual interest on both ends. The coaches do A LOT of homework into guys before they offer ... they don't just blindly offer guys based on external hype.

Furthermore, if you look at Iowa's recruiting this cycle ... it seems as though they were hitting offensive tackles more in last years recruiting class. This year, it seems like they were going after OGs more.

Anyhow, the point here being that there are a lot of variables that go into Iowa's evaluations. A guy might be a terrific player ... but that doesn't mean that the Hawks need him or want him. Or ... on the flip side ... the coaches might really like the kid ... but he might have so little interest in the Hawks, that the coaches decide not to bother.

You gotta be sh*tting me, that Corcoran kid is in Lincoln today for their Spring Game? I didn’t realize Nubs were in contention for his services. I thought he was Ohio State or Oklahoma bound. UGH. The last thing we need is for Nebraska to start getting elite OL over there.

I’m pretty sure he isn’t going to walk into campus for Alabama, Clemson, ND, etc etc and be a Day 1 starter - so I doubt that’s the reason he wasn’t offered. Besides, we ARENT “set” at the tackle spot to the point where we would turn down 5 Star level tackles. Don’t be silly.

Yeah, why would we chase 5 star Left Tackles when we can just get ours from “here in state, Illinois or Wisconsin”....because c’mon, we are basically at the pinnacle of college football with no room for improvement....evidenced by all the National, er I mean Conference, er wait, I mean Division Championships we have. Like that one in 2015. Right?
Yeah, we should spend time chasing people we won't get. Always a great use of recruiting time. ;) BTW, who is to say the coaches haven't talked to the kid? It's all speculation by a bunch of armchair coaches and recruiting guru's.

Corcoran is rumored to have even committed to Frost already. He has been to Lincoln several times since Frost got there. Every school would want him. He originally was going to visit Ohio State today and visited Oklahoma last week. The switch to visiting Lincoln again this weekend is a sign that is where he will likely end up. Other national schools did not offer as he wants to stay near home. Iowa was never on his radar.

The Benhart kid out of Minnesota this year will see the field quite soon. Add Corcoran and we are also in on some top-100 linemen for 2021. The days of a crappy OL is about to end. OL coaching has sucked since Callahan left. Riley's guy was clueless. Frost was shocked at the size and conditioning of the OL when he got there. All the guys from last year still there are stronger and bigger, so should see some improvement this year. Cannot be much worse, although we did improve as the season went on.

The Benhart kid out of Minnesota this year will see the field quite soon. Add Corcoran and we are also in on some top-100 linemen for 2021. The days of a crappy OL is about to end. OL coaching has sucked since Callahan left. Riley's guy was clueless. Frost was shocked at the size and conditioning of the OL when he got there. All the guys from last year still there are stronger and bigger, so should see some improvement this year. Cannot be much worse, although we did improve as the season went on.
He just committed

Kirk Ferentz is the best OL coach in the country especially at the tackle position. You can go to Iowa and learn technique from the best or go to Nebraska. Good luck kid.

Doesn't matter who commits to those bastards we'll still kick their ass.
Live in the recent past. We barely lost with a freshman QB and a team in its first year in a new system. S&C is improved and depth will not be so much of an issue. You do not turn around a program that has had terrible coaching and development under Riley (who inherited a thin roster from Bo, who hated recruiting).

I remember seeing us beat Oklahoma by about 60 in the late 90s. Stoops got there and within 3-4 years they won a NC. Saban the same thing. Who know where we will get to, but the trajectory is up whether you like it or not.

Kirk Ferentz is the best OL coach in the country especially at the tackle position. You can go to Iowa and learn technique from the best or go to Nebraska. Good luck kid.
He is great at development. No question. But he is a dinosaur. Reminds kids of their grandpa. Frost was a QB for a NC team...kids want to play for guys that have been to the very top.

What a childish comment. Bashing 18 year-olds is a bad look. I would say the same thing about a Nebraska fan bashing a kid announcing for Iowa.

Ranked #50 in US. Gives us two top-50 players so far in 2020.

I was bashing Nebraska, you dolt. God damn Nebby fans are dumb.

Reactions: Farleyhawk
He is great at development. No question. But he is a dinosaur. Reminds kids of their grandpa. Frost was a QB for a NC team...kids want to play for guys that have been to the very top.
Blah..Blah...Blah....Wake sleeping beauty and join the rest of us. Frost will not take you to the NC. I think he's a decent coach but your Huskers aren't going to be any better than any of the top tier teams in the BIG.

Live in the recent past. We barely lost with a freshman QB and a team in its first year in a new system. S&C is improved and depth will not be so much of an issue. You do not turn around a program that has had terrible coaching and development under Riley (who inherited a thin roster from Bo, who hated recruiting).

I remember seeing us beat Oklahoma by about 60 in the late 90s. Stoops got there and within 3-4 years they won a NC. Saban the same thing. Who know where we will get to, but the trajectory is up whether you like it or not.
What exactly is it that you want? Approval? Atta boy? A pat on the head? Quit living in the past and the future. Live in the present. You think that only Nebraska is getting better. The Iowa program is on a whole new trajectory. Wait until you get a load of this nasty defense Iowa will bring to Lincoln this year. Frost will never dominate Iowa or the B1G. He doesn't comprehend nasty wins in the B1G.

Reactions: HawksRMe
I am lost. I thought Nebraska was so far above Iowa, why would their fans come to a lowly Iowa board to celebrate a commitment that dinasour Feremtz could never get? Congrats?! We are all happy for guys. You have a great coach. A superstar. And a wonderful tradition. And the best fans in the country. Is that what you want to hear? I am confused. Especially since there are a bunch of Nebraska fans here. I am so baffled.

I am lost. I thought Nebraska was so far above Iowa, why would their fans come to a lowly Iowa board to celebrate a commitment that dinasour Feremtz could never get? Congrats?! We are all happy for guys. You have a great coach. A superstar. And a wonderful tradition. And the best fans in the country. Is that what you want to hear? I am confused. Especially since there are a bunch of Nebraska fans here. I am so baffled.

It's unbelievable.

The mods might as well change the name of this board from Iowa football to Iowa Husker talk.

It seems logical that you gauge a recruit's interest before you offer him. Email, snail mail, a phone call, a text. If he replies with "thanks but no thanks" you move on. There are plenty of other recruits to concentrate on.

That is why Iowa doesn't offer 300 or more prospects in a recruiting class. Plus coaches like to visit a recruit or have him visit before offering. A recruit can be a very gifted player but you don't want to worry about him embarrassing your university and football program. Look for red flags.

Or offer 300 or more kids, if you don't care about being embarrassed as much as you care about winning. The approach varies from school to school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT