ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't people discern false information?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

Without even "researching", this entire "article" looks fishy (phishy), but yet it's blowing through social media fueling the anti-vaxers. These people don't question for a second these supposed FB accounts could be bots, clones, hacks, etc. Not to mention the numbers mentioned. smh

Without even "researching" this entire "article" looks fishy (phishy), but yet it's blowing through social media fueling the anti-vaxers. These people don't question for a second these supposed FB accounts could be bots, clones, hacks, etc. Not to mention the numbers mentioned. smh
Because feelings.

But f#ck yours. #Trump 2024

I’ve been saying for some time Critical Thinking should be a required High School course. A regular exercise should be to find “articles” that support your own views, then demonstrate that the story is completely false or misleading.

It should also involve a full description of what the word “research” means from a scholarly point of view.

Last edited:
My wife (no pic) and I were discussing this at dinner, and the question of “Why did people latch on to Ivermectin?” We have a few hypotheses:

* Of all the drugs tested against COVID in a lab environment, some recognized IV because of its use on farms.
* The allure of “common sense, farmer pragmatic” wisdom outsmarting established medical science.
* The hope for a “silver bullet” that is guaranteed to quickly solve COVID, instead of a portfolio of mitigations (vaccines, masks, no large gatherings).
* The belief that someone has “secret knowledge” that ”they” don’t want you to know about, a common attribute of all conspiracy theories.

My wife (no pic) and I were discussing this at dinner, and the question of “Why did people latch on to Ivermectin?” We have a few hypotheses:

* Of all the drugs tested against COVID in a lab environment, some recognized IV because of its use on farms.
* The allure of “common sense, farmer pragmatic” wisdom outsmarting established medical science.
* The hope for a “silver bullet” that is guaranteed to quickly solve COVID, instead of a portfolio of mitigations (vaccines, masks, no large gatherings).
* The belief that someone has “secret knowledge” that ”they” don’t want you to know about, a common attribute of all conspiracy theories.
Or, if science aligns with leftist views, then they want the exact opposite. After all #defeatevil, right?

I think a contributing factor is the unwillingness of many to acknowledge their own lack of intelligence. Many years ago it finally dawned on me that I am simply not the sharpest knife in the drawer. In certain challenging situations (tax law, medical issues, plumbing problems, etc.) it is prudent to defer to the experts. Fighting the current out of stubbornness is a losing strategy.

Recognizing, and leaning on, the talents of others is OK. I dare say it’s even part of God’s plan for us.

It’s 100% both sides. People believe what they want to believe. Is it completely impossible that some people are having adverse, maybe lethal, reactions to a shot? Hell, some people adversely react to the flu shot. Yet if someone tells a story about how the shot impacted them or someone they know, they are immediately dismissed as crazy or lying.

Yes, I’m vaxxed.

I think a contributing factor is the unwillingness of many to acknowledge their own lack of intelligence. Many years ago it finally dawned on me that I am simply not the sharpest knife in the drawer. In certain challenging situations (tax law, medical issues, plumbing problems, etc.) it is prudent to defer to the experts. Fighting the current out of stubbornness is a losing strategy.

Recognizing, and leaning on, the talents of others is OK. I dare say it’s even part of God’s plan for us.
Not many folks have sharp knives regarding those subjects. In fact it’s sharper to recognize that others may have knowledge gained in those areas by choice and thus you are wise in asking them to assist you.
As to these anti vaxxer people they are of a certain personality type and we’ve known folks like them all our lives. A family member.
A neighbor. A Co-worker.
Otherwise good folks but damn stubborn and set in their ways. Deal with it. They just might die.
And yes, I’m vaccinated.

I’ve been saying for sometime Critical Thinking should be a required High School course. A regular exercise should be to find “articles” that support your own views, then demonstrate that the story is completely false or misleading.

It should also involve a full description of what the word “research” means from a scholarly point of view.
I don’t have access to the Locker Room since they pay walled it, but I distinctly recall Tribe peddling the debunked story about the ‘Trump server’ secretly communicating with the Russians.
Intelligent, educated individuals are still just as capable of believing what they want to believe.
My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I recall him saying his ‘own sources’ were confirming the story. Maybe someone can find the post. Would be interesting to re-read in light of recent events.

I don’t have access to the Locker Room since they pay walled it, but I distinctly recall Tribe peddling the debunked story about the ‘Trump server’ secretly communicating with the Russians.
Intelligent, educated individuals are still just as capable of believing what they want to believe.
My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I recall him saying his ‘own sources’ were confirming the story. Maybe someone can find the post. Would be interesting to re-read in light of recent events.
You may have his source confused with another restaurant critic. 🤡

Without even "researching", this entire "article" looks fishy (phishy), but yet it's blowing through social media fueling the anti-vaxers. These people don't question for a second these supposed FB accounts could be bots, clones, hacks, etc. Not to mention the numbers mentioned. smh
Cult

Exactly right. The most important milestone I ever reached was the day I woke up and realized I’m at least smart enough to know how stupid I really am.

Kind of explains things. This is scary.

Jesus - Maria Bartiromo. What happened to you? White Knight Trump came too close to the corruption fire?
It still astounds me, even though it shouldn’t, how brazenly stupid journalists and media personalities are these days. In the background, I keep expecting Rod Serling to step into the light and start extrapolating content from George Orwell’s 1984.

First there is this...
  • Overall, we rate World Tribune a Questionable source based on a far-right bias (propaganda), and poor sourcing, and misleading science, as well as a lack of ownership transparency.
And then that post is not on that station's Facebook page any more.

but where they really lost me is the post claiming that a Pfizer VP said that "could happen during the 20th and 22 nd day of conception. ". Right. Sure that is real.
Maybe Disciple 's bullshit test isn't all bullshit. This certainly didn't get past mine when Shank posted this the first time.

People are a sucker for information in written form designed to look like it’s an official news source. Internet advertisers figured this out 15 plus years ago when they would make fake looking news articles for their product even stealing official news places colors and names

People are a sucker for information in written form designed to look like it’s an official news source. Internet advertisers figured this out 15 plus years ago when they would make fake looking news articles for their product even stealing official news places colors and names
Are you suggesting to me that Bill Gates isn’t pushing a new pill that will increase my brainpower 10x?

I bought some of those online. I’m still an idiot, but at least I have a giant penis now.
I saw Jimmy Johnson (coach, not race car driver) selling that pill on TV late at night.
Never a better intersection between celebrity endorser name and product will there be. I’m still in awe.

• Haha
Reactions: cheeselog8
Thanks for posting this and triggering whatever algorithm summons Nat.

the gnat is lurking in other threads today. Wow, what trash he peddles. Oh yeah, this thread resembles that remark.

The person who gave me Covid due to their irresponsible behavior also said they couldn’t stomach watching CNN (a channel I can almost guarantee you they have never watched in their life to even know they don’t want to watch it).

If all you do is listen to people who are like you, there is NO HOPE of ever getting perspective of what others think or having your mind changed. Especially once that opinion has been anchored in belief for too long. In fact, changing your mind on something (even as new information is brought to light) has been seen as a sign of weakness in today’s world. I can’t trust that guy because they changed their opinion on something? Yeah, that makes me want to trust them more (so long as that change wasn’t selfishly motivated, which isn’t hard to discern).

As it pertains to misinformation, I’ve also noticed the level of education plays a roll. In my circle of friends, the two with grad degrees are vaccinated and wear masks and the ones without a college education are the ones believing Trump will be installed as speaker and that Covid is no big deal.

And finally, how do you ever hope to persuade someone of something when you have no idea what they believe or why they believe it? My SIL thinks I’m a sheep for following CDC guidance. I guess living life in fear, and living a God glorifying life where I put others ahead of myself can look like the same thing. How do you know which it is unless we talk about it with an open mind instead of just attacking?

It’s 100% both sides. People believe what they want to believe. Is it completely impossible that some people are having adverse, maybe lethal, reactions to a shot? Hell, some people adversely react to the flu shot. Yet if someone tells a story about how the shot impacted them or someone they know, they are immediately dismissed as crazy or lying.

Yes, I’m vaxxed.
Lol at the both sides comment. It comes down to listening to medical professionals…..it is that simple.

Eight hours of data and testimony from the FDA hearing on booster approval. You won’t see much (any??) of this on the nightly news. Discern away.

Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
I’ve been saying for some time Critical Thinking should be a required High School course. A regular exercise should be to find “articles” that support your own views, then demonstrate that the story is completely false or misleading.

It would work against the agenda of the education system right now. Agreed though, it's a shame.

To me, this is what education should be about. The information we pack into our brains in high school is not that important for the most part, it is teaching kids how to learn, to think. Kids need to be challenged to think.

Ironic that you mention education yet can not discern “roll” from “role”.
But you’re pretty close to speaking the truth.

I’ve thought quite a bit about this because it’s often thrown about in my circles (which are urban, educated libs for the most part) as a big problem. All those uneducated “hicks,” rednecks, etc. with their jacked up trucks and their ‘Merica flags that make up the Trumper base. I mean, there’s no doubt about it that a lot of that group loves them some Trump. It doesn’t take long before you get into the sticks of any state for Trump 2024 flags to start flying. That said, I don’t think they’re dumb - they’re just not smart in the traditional sense. I’m from Iowa and know plenty of hicks, some of which voted for Trump. When it comes to their world - they’re smart as phuck. They’ll tell you about water tables, crop cycles, pull and fix a carburetor, and have a call with their commodities broker all before noon. Which makes it even harder for me to figure out why they fall for a conman.

I certainly can’t speak for everyone but I can look at those closest to me and I don’t see uneducated people. But I do see folks that are insular, not very worldly (by their own choice in most situations), proud to a fault (think stubborn / chip on their shoulder), change averse, and full of the nice-to-your-face-stab-you-in-the-back-when-you-turn-around version of “Iowa Nice.” To me, it’s far more a combination of these things than education level that drives the “hicks and rednecks” to Trump.

Last edited:
Ironic that you mention education yet can not discern “roll” from “role”.
But you’re pretty close to speaking the truth.
Covid brain is real. I have forgotten many words and phrases over the last few weeks and have a hard time concentrating (which is all very uncharacteristic). So you jumping to the belief that I can’t discern what word to use is not actually ironic, it’s a byproduct of a virus I tried very hard not to get. And even if it was, you pointing it out in mockery still says more about you than a spelling mistake says about my level of education. At the end of the day, I’d rather be stupid and a terrible speller (and maybe I’m both of those things already) and treat people decently than someone who gets enjoyment out of knocking people down a peg for using the wrong word.

Covid brain is real. I have forgotten many words and phrases over the last few weeks and have a hard time concentrating (which is all very uncharacteristic). So you jumping to the belief that I can’t discern what word to use is not actually ironic, it’s a byproduct of a virus I tried very hard not to get. And even if it was, you pointing it out in mockery still says more about you than a spelling mistake says about my level of education. At the end of the day, I’d rather be stupid and a terrible speller (and maybe I’m both of those things already) and treat people decently than someone who gets enjoyment out of knocking people down a peg for using the wrong word.
I’m sorry you had Covid. I am vaxxed but had a very very mild run in with Delta this summer.
And I agree with your post, but when YOUR post mocks folks for being uneducated you need to be careful that you have your remarks in order as well.
Have a nice day.

Not many folks have sharp knives regarding those subjects. In fact it’s sharper to recognize that others may have knowledge gained in those areas by choice and thus you are wise in asking them to assist you.
As to these anti vaxxer people they are of a certain personality type and we’ve known folks like them all our lives. A family member.
A neighbor. A Co-worker.
Otherwise good folks but damn stubborn and set in their ways. Deal with it. They just might die.
And yes, I’m vaccinated.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest..."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT