ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Dix shade and overplay the off ball hand on that last play?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
That was weird. The terp was dribbling near the center line running clock. Dix was playing him straight up but as the clock wound down Dix moved to his left toward the dribblers right hand.

But the guy was dribbling with his left hand. Was Dix expecting a big man to double team to his right? That is all I can think.

Otherwise, defend the ball side, the guy's left hand and force him toward the sideline.

It seems this is the defensive technique to teach, or am I missing something?

That was weird. The terp was dribbling near the center line running clock. Dix was playing him straight up but as the clock wound down Dix moved to his left toward the dribblers right hand.

But the guy was dribbling with his left hand. Was Dix expecting a big man to double team to his right? That is all I can think.

Otherwise, defend the ball side, the guy's left hand and force him toward the sideline.

You think a team with a collective defensive IQ of ZERO would be able to figure that out?.........................

You ask too much.

Dix was defending Young on top. When Young made a dribble to his left, a switch was made leaving Sandfort to pick up Young. But, Young blew by Sandfort going to the basket. Krikke basically was ever so slow to slide over to help and there was no contest at the rim on Young's layup. Dix came into the lane trailing the layup, but it was too late.

Dix was defending Young on top. When Young made a dribble to his left, a switch was made leaving Sandfort to pick up Young. But, Young blew by Sandfort going to the basket. Krikke basically was ever so slow to slide over to help and there was no contest at the rim on Young's layup. Dix came into the lane trailing the layup, but it was too late.
Freeman might have forced a tougher shot had he been smarter on that 5th foul to stay in the game. We have zero rim presence with him out.

Freeman might have forced a tougher shot had he been smarter on that 5th foul to stay in the game. We have zero rim presence with him out.
Yeah, I believe he would forced a tougher look and would have rotated over from the weak side, where Krikke essentially focused more on blocking out his man.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Young had a high probability to dribble to his left so Dix should have been there to make him stop, or take more time to go around him, or to dribble left but then have to reverse his dribble.

Any of those actions takes away much or all of the 1.7 seconds left after he made the shot. Not only that but why play for a switch by Dix as isnt he a better on ball defender than Sandfort?

Dix is a little shorter and quicker than Sandfort.

Any way I just thought it was a poor defensive design to not play to stop his dribble with Dix

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Complete defensive breakdown.
you want your best on ball defender to start that possession, someone with great feet and best speed to stay between the dribbler and the hoop.

Maryland was running the clock down for a last second shot so if you can disrupt that play and make the ballhandler alter his path and make a pass they might not get a shot off in time

Because Young wanted to go right, to shoot the pull up 3 ball. That is what he had done on the previous 2 sets.

you want your best on ball defender to start that possession, someone with great feet and best speed to stay between the dribbler and the hoop.

Maryland was running the clock down for a last second shot so if you can disrupt that play and make the ballhandler alter his path and make a pass they might not get a shot off in time
Apparently Iowa had 2 timeouts to burn as well.

Clock at 3-4 seconds, use one, and make them in bound again.

So much lack of common sense by Iowa.

Edit...I might be wrong, can you call timeout without possession?

Last edited:
Frans teams have always been weak on individual defensive skills. As a team there is oft a slow go guarding a fast guy which causes breakdowns

Reactions: Legs94
Young had a high probability to dribble to his left so Dix should have been there to make him stop, or take more time to go around him, or to dribble left but then have to reverse his dribble.

Any of those actions takes away much or all of the 1.7 seconds left after he made the shot. Not only that but why play for a switch by Dix as isnt he a better on ball defender than Sandfort?

Dix is a little shorter and quicker than Sandfort.

Any way I just thought it was a poor defensive design to not play to stop his dribble with Dix
Sandfort knows how to defend.

Iowa struggled with pressure and looked very slow. At the end of the game, was it like 6 minutes without a bucket for Iowa.

Apparently Iowa had 2 timeouts to burn as well.

Clock at 3-4 seconds, use one, and make them in bound again.

So much lack of common sense by Iowa.

Edit...I might be wrong, can you call timeout without possession?
No you can't

Reactions: Legs94
Dix shaded the guy to the strong hand(bad), Sandfort helped way too aggressively to let the guy dribbled right by him (bad), Krikke just stood there and didn't help (bad), Bowen didn't move at all but rather stood on the opposite baseline as though the driver would throw it through ten hands in the paint to the opposite side of where he drove ( bad), and Perkins just stood on the baseline guarding nobody (terrible). Complete team disaster of an effort on defense by Iowa. The one time we actually should have Bowen and Harding on the court at the same time for defensive speed, we didn't. (Fran Bad). The overall IQ level going on with the last defensive possession was about 6, how can we be that bad.

you always want to force the ball handler to use the screen, Iowa just has the worst pick and roll defense i see in all the college/hs basketball that I watch. That play was iowa's defense in a nutshell. Don't know how to defend pick and roll, terrible help and rotations behind them.
I don't care what Fran has done at Iowa, he's not where Kirk is. He hasn't earned the right to be stubborn. Even Kirk's stubbornness had to be reigned in. Fran's defensive liabilities are every bit the equal of kirk's offensive liabilities. Kirk is at least a know developer of talent. You can see it in the player's body, game, and ultimately the NFL. Fran doesn't have that, so we need a change.

Krikke was in damned if you do damned if you don't land. He provides help side D, Young dishes to the big Krikke was guarding.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I don't understand enough bball strategy to wrap my head around letting them run that much clock vs. fouling there. Aren't your chances higher to give up the FTs and have more time to setup your last shot, instead of Sandfort doing a CC impersonation and whiffing terribly?

I don't understand enough bball strategy to wrap my head around letting them run that much clock vs. fouling there. Aren't your chances higher to give up the FTs and have more time to setup your last shot, instead of Sandfort doing a CC impersonation and whiffing terribly?
I would never foul and give them free throws in a tie game. Especially because we didn't score for the last 5 minutes of the game. You play defense and get the stop. Unfortunately, we don't play good defense. That's of the reasons we are always at home after the first weekend of the tournament. That and Fran has no clue how to manage a game or his rotations. Recruiting guys who are actually athletic enough to play defense might be nice too. Unfortunately, we are who we are as long as Fran is our coach. Which I have a feeling will be at least 2 more seasons.

Reactions: hawkandroll
If we weren't talking about the Hawks I would say you should have just put a period after I don't understand bball strategy and then hit the post button.

But with this team's defensive ineptitude you might actually have a point. Sadly.

We should just have fouled the worst free throw shooter immediately, hope for 1/2 or worse case scenario, we're down 2 with time to play for the last shot. While most teams wouldn't do it that way, we seem to always let the opponent score as the clock runs out, be it halftime or end of game...

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
Should have trapped Young immediately when he got the ball and made him pass it instead of letting him dribble the time away. Once he gave it up, work like heck to keep him from getting it back. Someone might get an open look out of the trap but it wouldn't be Young and it would come quicker giving the Hawks more time to respond if Maryland did score.

Krikke was in damned if you do damned if you don't land. He provides help side D, Young dishes to the big Krikke was guarding.

But that is part of the rotation as Dix should have been dropping down to help after he passed on YOung. You just cant let a guy get a layup. As someone on this post said, Sandfort took a terrible step and angle toward Young. I cant remember where the other Terps players were except there was a big guy at top of the circle to do the screen and roll and a big down low.

Sandfort was not in position to hedge on the high screen either.

We should just have fouled the worst free throw shooter immediately, hope for 1/2 or worse case scenario, we're down 2 with time to play for the last shot. While most teams wouldn't do it that way, we seem to always let the opponent score as the clock runs out, be it halftime or end of game...

It’s sounds ridiculous, but I wouldn’t have minded that last night. Iowa wasn’t winning in OT without Freeman. Put them on the line and take your chances finding a way to win in regulation

Wasn't sure what Perkins was doing? He should have slid over and at the very least made Young either pass to the left wing or make him take an awkward jumper or try to take a charge. Instead he just stood there and watched Young make a layup.
Also Cory Brada on his Hawkeye of the Storm blamed Brock Harding for the loss. If anyone was to blame it was Fran. Granted Brock lost control of the ball but got it to a teammate and then it was thrown away. Sandfort had at least 2 turnovers on passes that were ill advised.
Fran is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He has to many shooting guards that Fran wants to play, Perkins, Dix, Payton, Desonte, and none of them are really good point guard decision makers. Iowa forwards in Krikke and Patrick are minus defenders and Harding, Desonte, Dembele, and Pryce are struggling offensively. That leaves Freeman as the lone bright spot but he is also a freshman that has no confidence in shooting the ball except layups or dunking the ball.
So, Fran has to play Perkins, Dix, Payton, Krikke, and Freeman and hope they are on offensively and if not you have games like last night and against Michigan.
This is a poorly put together roster and the result is a team that will fall short of any post season play no matter who's on the court and I'm not sure next years recruits will make for a better team. The loss of Krikke and Patrick will help defensively and maybe Perkins could free up the off guard position but who knows.
Not having a true center is defiantly a position that Fran needs to address, whether Mulvey is being groomed for that position or Fran goes to the portal to get a player that can play defense and score, either way Iowa is going to struggle the rest of this year.

Perkins flat footed didn’t help either. He didn’t contest at all. You gotta force that ball to be kicked to the corner, you can’t just concede an open layup😂. That’s on Fran though and just another example how defense isn’t emphasized in this program at all. Nobody in a stance, standing straight up. Same shit, different year

If we weren't talking about the Hawks I would say you should have just put a period after I don't understand bball strategy and then hit the post button.

dodgeball-touche.gif

With two timeouts left, there was absolutely no reason for Sandfort to be in the game. You need your five best defenders in there, and Sandfort isn't close to being in that group.

no he's not, especially at the end of the shot clock. You take away the lay up and make him pass, The other defender on that side rotates down to the backside block. That is basic rotation.

With two timeouts left, there was absolutely no reason for Sandfort to be in the game. You need your five best defenders in there, and Sandfort isn't close to being in that group.
and who are you guys bitching about. Dix.

In my response to your first post, my reasoning was three-fold. To point out that you never foul in that situation, that the Hawks defense resembles soft $hit in a rainstorm, and to try and be funny.

I apologize that it came off kinda douchey. Sincerely, my intention was not to come after you there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT