ADVERTISEMENT

Why do women cry a lot?

Boys are told that boys don't cry. So, the obvious takeaway is that it's okay if girls cry.

It's all about our culture and how children are socialized.

It's a little bit of socialization and a little bit of hormones.

Nearly every woman I've ever known at the right time in her cycle will break down crying over the most minor of inconveniences. So there is certainly a hormonal influence there.

But socialization makes men more embarrassed to do it, so they try to suck it up at times.

Reactions: h-hawk
Boys are told that boys don't cry. So, the obvious takeaway is that it's okay if girls cry.

It's all about our culture and how children are socialized.

Damn, just when you had a nice streak going and you had to ruin it with logic.

I really wish I bookmarked the article, but a few years ago, I read an article written by a man who had to take some estrogen for a short time during his prostate cancer treatment. By the end he was weeping almost every day about the littlest things (plus some other side effects).

BTW, Trad, what you posted is an aspect of toxic masculinity.

OP is it mostly after having sex that you notice this?

I cry at a lot of movies. My wife made fun of me for crying during Boyz in the Hood.

Emotional roller coasters. My wife probably cries once a week or at least that’s what I see.

Although I cry pretty easily too. I’m a big softy.

MY post was the worst offender in this thread???? o_O

She is saying that being socialized not to cry is "toxic masculinity". I personally disagree because I don't think it's exactly clear where the most healthy line is between stoicism and emotionalism.

I think there is something to be said for letting certain things just roll off you. Not everything of course but some things certainly.

I really wish I bookmarked the article, but a few years ago, I read an article written by a man who had to take some estrogen for a short time during his prostate cancer treatment. By the end he was weeping almost every day about the littlest things (plus some other side effects).

BTW, Trad, what you posted is an aspect of toxic masculinity.

Can we call women weeping over minor things an example of toxic femininity?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT