ADVERTISEMENT

Why does our men’s US soccer team always suck ass?!??

It’s the Iowa men’s basketball of soccer.
Soccer is the #1 kids sport in the US. There is no reason we should consistently suck mule balls!!!!!
Been told the best athletes still end up in the highest paying pro sports. Just because it’s popular among the non talented average American kid doesn’t mean the best won’t flock to the $$$$.
Ask most retired NFL players. They mostly hate football. But got in it strictly because it was the big money.

• Wow
Reactions: HunkDronkey
This is why we call in soccer!

we suck again GIF

homer simpson beer GIF

Reactions: curtisj157
2 things.

The soul or creativity of this game is developed with kids who play one on one with trash cans not 20 kids going to practice 3 times a week paying 2k because the coach has an English accent.

We think we are much better than we are and we want to play the game looking like Barcelona in its prime, that's not us. Be athletic, and make people foul you or run them over.

We struggle against shit teams and beat Mexico and Columbus. Keep blaming the manager at some point these players are what they are. Just ok. That’s it. Klinsmann tried getting them to Euro clubs. Well we don’t have good players.

The same reason Canada dominates hockey. Pickup games and the importance of the game in their culture. Blake isn’t going to beat Raphael practicing two hours a night and playing one game on Saturday when Raphael is playing sunup to sundown.
NAILED IT! It’s all about culture. It’s why a tiny country like Uruguay has two World Cup trophies, a third place finish as recently as 2010, and the most Copa America titles. They’re nuts about the game. It’s why New Zealand is a world power in rugby, It’s why we dominate at basketball. World championships start with the working masses’ kids playing in the parks and streets.

It’s the Iowa men’s basketball of soccer.
Soccer is the #1 kids sport in the US. There is no reason we should consistently suck mule balls!!!!!
I think you answered your own question. Because soccer is a kids sport.

It's an easy way to expose kids to team sports, but ultimately our best athletes play other sports.

Soccer is the least expensive sport to get into, making it wildly popular in most countries. It's super easy to understand and therefore makes it ideal for large participation numbers.

Not that there isn't a complex mental side of the game at higher levels, because there is, but most of our players never reach that.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
I find it difficult to believe coaching is what is holding back US soccer after this many decades.
IMO the biggest issue is culture and youth coaching. I think what you really want is to create a large pool of capable players. The US has tended to put their effort into polishing up a select group of talented athletes.
As others have noted you need a combination of formal development but also informal pick up style games. Athletes do a lot of developing in low pressure low stakes pick up games style play where they are free to try things.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The same reason Canada dominates hockey. Pickup games and the importance of the game in their culture. Blake isn’t going to beat Raphael practicing two hours a night and playing one game on Saturday when Raphael is playing sunup to sundown.
Exactly. The Blake's go on to the clubs/academies and Raphael's keep playing rec leagues. There a plenty of athletes to go around but a lot are left out.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
So as I sit enjoying my morning coffee I find myself thinking about this subject. A couple of thoughts:

With very few exceptions, USMNT lacks an identity. The years we have had an identity it was "gritty team". When you go play England, right wrong or indifferent, they play or always have played English style soccer( direct) ( probably not by best lead example) if you are going tonplay against Brazil it's going to be free flowing samba, the Germans will always be competitive with their system of players and understand if x gets to y be at 1 ready foe the ball.

We don't, and never have, had that. We have tried to play like the English, We have tried t oplay like more like mexico 1v1, right now we are trying to play the perfect Arsen Wenger (maybe) "football" ( **** you Gregg, this is america) where we try to make the perfect pass, and the run behind space, and if you just always use perfect angles you really don't have to shoot you can just play everybody out of the play and pass it in.

We need an identity and frankly that identity needs to be super simple to start eith, let's get back to "gritty" and being a super in shape team that no one really wants to play.

It's easy to spend others money but US soccer needs to buy a #1 head coach. Right now they have a little bit of a three headed monster, similar to Iowa football offense, where we can't really point at the players because we don't know if the coaches are good, we can't really fault the coaches because our youth system isn't great, you can't really fault the system because the best players often come from street corners playing with balls with no covers. So you really can't fix anything. It's nor qb the line sucks, it's not the line the play sucks, it's not the play the qb can't throw the ball. Oroboros.

Go buy a "Klopp" and take it from 3 variables to 2 and actually start making improvements.

At risk of turning this political, it is very obvious there is a inverse relationship between comfort and performance. Todays players are the most skilled players we have ever had and I'm not joking when I say those decent John Harks, Eddie stuart, Eddie pope, Landon teams, ON A SHITTY WEATHER DAY, would kick the shit out of today's team, and today's team has exponentially more talent. We are soft, and frankly I think that's permeated the woman's side as well.

To continue that a little, Carli Lyod said something last night that I bet would make today's youth players shit themselves. "We won championships and we HATED our coach". That doesn't exist in today's society. In 2004 Bill Keoppen had been coaching at drake for many years. We had put together a usysl team to go compete in nationals after winning regionals. I was 17 ish... I had a "soft" practice. In the middle of practice at a aliber fields he stopped practice and in front of everyone yells "you want a shot at the champ" asking me if I wanted to fight him, a grown man. When I told my mother what had happened, without pause she looked at me and said, "you have nationals next week, why are you practicing soft".

Somewhere in the mid teens the parents finally removed Bill Keoppen from Des Moines Soccer. ( I was in Nebraska)

We don't need abuse, but we are soft, and it shows up in pressure games.

Look back to the first decade of 2000 and it’s easy to see why we are failing (god I miss those teams). If we could’ve kept that heart, mentality and strategy with this groups individual talent the US would be a top ten if not top 5 in the world type of team.

Greg has to go. These kids are soft and that starts with the leadership or lack thereof.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
the best athletes are playing basketball, football, baseball.
You just gave 2 hand eye coordination sports and football which has 2 position groups that play soccer. WR and Dbacks. Soccer is a cardio sport not a you play 11 seconds and get a break sport. It isn't as easy as "the best play other sports". Another thing, not to trash on basketball or football, but there are "no" plays in soccer. You would be amazed at how many athletes simply can't handle the mental side of athletics. Not just be the best at "run 7 steps forward, drive hip to turnn 45 degrees, pivot 3 hard steps up field toward hash, pop hands to face mask, warch film get better on that exact series". .... there is none of that shit in soccer.

Tyler Linderbaum is 100x the athlete I am or ever was but even today at 39 years old, if he tried to man mark me on a pitch for 90 minutes I would make him hate his ****ing life.

Last edited:
So as I sit enjoying my morning coffee I find myself thinking about this subject. A couple of thoughts:

With very few exceptions, USMNT lacks an identity. The years we have had an identity it was "gritty team". When you go play England, right wrong or indifferent, they play or always have played English style soccer( direct) ( probably not by best lead example) if you are going tonplay against Brazil it's going to be free flowing samba, the Germans will always be competitive with their system of players and understand if x gets to y be at 1 ready foe the ball.

We don't, and never have, had that. We have tried to play like the English, We have tried t oplay like more like mexico 1v1, right now we are trying to play the perfect Arsen Wenger (maybe) "football" ( **** you Gregg, this is america) where we try to make the perfect pass, and the run behind space, and if you just always use perfect angles you really don't have to shoot you can just play everybody out of the play and pass it in.

We need an identity and frankly that identity needs to be super simple to start eith, let's get back to "gritty" and being a super in shape team that no one really wants to play.

It's easy to spend others money but US soccer needs to buy a #1 head coach. Right now they have a little bit of a three headed monster, similar to Iowa football offense, where we can't really point at the players because we don't know if the coaches are good, we can't really fault the coaches because our youth system isn't great, you can't really fault the system because the best players often come from street corners playing with balls with no covers. So you really can't fix anything. It's nor qb the line sucks, it's not the line the play sucks, it's not the play the qb can't throw the ball. Oroboros.

Go buy a "Klopp" and take it from 3 variables to 2 and actually start making improvements.

At risk of turning this political, it is very obvious there is a inverse relationship between comfort and performance. Todays players are the most skilled players we have ever had and I'm not joking when I say those decent John Harks, Eddie stuart, Eddie pope, Landon teams, ON A SHITTY WEATHER DAY, would kick the shit out of today's team, and today's team has exponentially more talent. We are soft, and frankly I think that's permeated the woman's side as well.

To continue that a little, Carli Lyod said something last night that I bet would make today's youth players shit themselves. "We won championships and we HATED our coach". That doesn't exist in today's society. In 2004 Bill Keoppen had been coaching at drake for many years. We had put together a usysl team to go compete in nationals after winning regionals. I was 17 ish... I had a "soft" practice. In the middle of practice at a aliber fields he stopped practice and in front of everyone yells "you want a shot at the champ" asking me if I wanted to fight him, a grown man. When I told my mother what had happened, without pause she looked at me and said, "you have nationals next week, why are you practicing soft".

Somewhere in the mid teens the parents finally removed Bill Keoppen from Des Moines Soccer. ( I was in Nebraska)

We don't need abuse, but we are soft, and it shows up in pressure games.
I cannot disagree with a word of this; when you look at the relatively poor attendance in MLS, it leads me to believe that futbol will always be a minor sport in this country, and it saddens me.

I cannot disagree with a word of this; when you look at the relatively poor attendance in MLS, it leads me to believe that futbol will always be a minor sport in this country, and it saddens me.
Our youth system needs a major overhaul as well. I once heard a respected person, don't think it was lalas, maybe landon, but talking TV head level, say something like "if Messi tried to make it through US academy he would have failed out because they would have forced him to use his right foot".

If you think about the way we try to teach this game, it's ****ing true and it's sickening.

I think you answered your own question. Because soccer is a kids sport.

It's an easy way to expose kids to team sports, but ultimately our best athletes play other sports.

Soccer is the least expensive sport to get into, making it wildly popular in most countries. It's super easy to understand and therefore makes it ideal for large participation numbers.
Bingo. Doesn’t take much to get a kid running around and kicking a ball. Once they get older they see how lame the sport is and transition to a more exciting sport. It’s soccer. Who gives a flying fvck

• Sad
Reactions: seminoleed
This was a text I sent during the Panama game -

I saw the clip of the red card, that’s so USMNT against concacaf. They’ll lose this game because of it, lose against Uruguay, end up going home, fire berhalter, call up a whole new group of d rate half euros, then start it all again when the problem is and always will be our youth system

Remember when we were a top 8 team in the world and outplayed an eventual finalist in a World Cup quarterfinal, while having a guy named “Best Young Player”. I miss this relentless attacking style:

Remember 7 years later when we beat one of the best national teams of all time 2-0 in a major FIFA men’s tournament semifinal? Then we put up 2 more and almost beat Brazil in the final. Imagine these teams’ offense with our defenders today. Gives me some hope:

Our youth system needs a major overhaul as well. I once heard a respected person, don't think it was lalas, maybe landon, but talking TV head level, say something like "if Messi tried to make it through US academy he would have failed out because they would have forced him to use his right foot".

If you think about the way we try to teach this game, it's ****ing true and it's sickening.
Messi's issue in the US would've been his size. I think Hugo Perez said that the federation did not rate Pulisic because he was too small. It took Dortmund to get them to realize that they needed to consider him.

fundamentally, the comments to the effect that street kids play soccer elsewhere, and suburban kids play it here, is spot on. But from a 'direct cause' perspective, the answer is that we've never really had a reliable dominant finisher.

Very true. We simply do not have that guy who can receive a pass in a less than perfect position, control it quickly, and immediately launch a quality shot. Everyone we have needs multiple touches to "tee it up" in a perfect spot to launch a quality shot.

Look at Panama's 1st and 3rd goals last night. WE don't have a player who even gets a shot off on either of those plays. For their strikers, it was touch step shot, all in one fluid motion.

We do not like soccer as a culture regardless of how much the elites try to ram it down everyone's throat.
It’s a huge turnoff when these guys roll around on the ground like they were shot hoping for a penalty and then bounce up and continue play.

First half of last night was ridiculous.

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT