ADVERTISEMENT

Why Don't the Stars Want to Play With Clark?

Yikes, not only did the #1 transfer portal recruit in the country commit to LSU last week, but today the #2 transfer portal recruit in the country committed to LSU. That, and LSU already had the #1 recruiting class in the country with their high school recruiting.

Still waiting on Bluder to get a visit from a grad transfer. If ya can't recruit with the big boys, you're not going to beat them.

Yikes, not only did the #1 transfer portal recruit in the country commit to LSU last week, but today the #2 transfer portal recruit in the country committed to LSU. That, and LSU already had the #1 recruiting class in the country with their high school recruiting.

Still waiting on Bluder to get a visit from a grad transfer. If ya can't recruit with the big boys, you're not going to beat them.
So you're saying we outrecruited South Carolina. Got it.

People leveraging racial tensions in American for their own personal gain???

That couldn't possible be true.

Oh get out of here with this. Iowa isn’t historically known for being a powerhouse when recruiting women’s, good but not elite.

They better nab someone that can contribute though but are we really that surprised they didn’t land the number 1 or 2 portal candidate? Who knows how well they’re doing for women’s NIL money, Clark didn’t even utilize swarm right? I do hope they’re considering every avenue to attract another star here.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Oh get out of here with this. Iowa isn’t historically known for being a powerhouse when recruiting women’s, good but not elite.

They better nab someone that can contribute though but are we really that surprised they didn’t land the number 1 or 2 portal candidate? Who knows how well they’re doing for women’s NIL money, Clark didn’t even utilize swarm right? I do hope they’re considering every avenue to attract another star here.
Anyone that would have contributed significantly has already committed to other schools. When the staff decided to bring Marshall and Martin back, that definitely limited their options. Portal closes May 11th so unless there is a surprising late addition, I wouldn't count on anyone joining.

The swarm doesn't support any women's athletics. Think that through and you will have your answer.

The swarm doesn't support any women's athletics. Think that through and you will have your answer.
Absolutely false. They support both mens and womens basketball, as well as football.

Second subject, "Swarm Collective Impact", first line: "Student-athletes in Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball and Football will have the opportunity to benefit......."

BTW, I didn't mean to 'like' your post....hit it by mistake instead of 'reply'.

Absolutely false. They support both mens and womens basketball, as well as football.

Second subject, "Swarm Collective Impact", first line: "Student-athletes in Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball and Football will have the opportunity to benefit......."

Just hit Like again and it will undo it.

Last edited:

That is a recent addition buddy. Sorry you didn't know.

How about women's soccer? The highest paid female athlete on NIL in the country is a gymnast at LSU. Does the swarm support any women other than. Basketball? Nope.

You want to know why NIL isn't ready and waiting for women's basketball it's because the swarm didn't want to do it. They came way late to the party on it.

That is a recent addition buddy. Sorry you didn't know.

How about women's soccer? The highest paid female athlete on NIL in the country is a gymnast at LSU. Does the swarm support any women other than. Basketball? Nope.

You want to know why NIL isn't ready and waiting for women's basketball it's because the swarm didn't want to do it. They came way late to the party on it.
Try again.

The women’s basketball team has been doing appearances for Swarm all year and actively promoting it on social media. Bluder has been touting it publicly for just as long. Everyone but CC gets a cut. Not many schools like Iowa are doing this for WBB.

Sometimes it’s okay to just sit one out.

Reactions: hawkod
Try again.

The women’s basketball team has been doing appearances for Swarm all year and actively promoting it on social media. Bluder has been touting it publicly for just as long. Everyone but CC gets a cut. Not many schools like Iowa are doing this for WBB.

Sometimes it’s okay to just sit one out.
They were not a part of the initial pitch. They were added later.

So how are those other women's teams doing with the swarm? Women's wrestling for example?

This is a losing argument for you. The swarm is not supportive of Iowa athletes across the board.

They were not a part of the initial pitch. They were added later.

So how are those other women's teams doing with the swarm? Women's wrestling for example?

This is a losing argument for you. The swarm is not supportive of Iowa athletes across the board.
Lmao it doesn’t matter what the pitch was and we’re not talking about women’s wrestling or gymnastics or whatever.

This isn’t an argument, your “point” is unclear at best and irrelevant at worst.

I’m not even sure what comment you were replying to, only that yours was inaccurate.

Lmao it doesn’t matter what the pitch was and we’re not talking about women’s wrestling or gymnastics or whatever.

This isn’t an argument, your “point” is unclear at best and irrelevant at worst.

I’m not even sure what comment you were replying to, only that yours was inaccurate.
The point is that these other schools have stronger traditions and these recent transfers got big NIL deals. Thay didn't happen at Iowa. The swarm has added women's basketball but it had to be convinced to do so. That hurts our chances for big name female athletes as these other schools apparently have been set up to support women from the beginning. The fact other schools are supporting multiple female.sports and athletes through their NIL collective indicates that Iowa isn't really all in on support of women's sports for NIL.
Like it or not you can't.come to the table.late and with limited options and then paint a picture that.our collective supports women. It doesn't. That is their choice but.it.doesnt.

So when people ask why these big stars aren't landing in Iowa City the NIL deals are a part of that. We don't have them at nearly the rate of other school. Like LSU for example.

I doubt by the way thay Caitlin Clark has any NIL deals.through the swarm. She may be the only.reason the swarm is supporting women's basketball but the star is doing her own deals more than likely. And she should.

Your contempt by the way for the other women's sports at Iowa rhat are not being marketed is kind of the point. You think women don't see that message loud and clear? Women's wrestling had an NIL deal by the way so the market is there. Just not with the swarm

The point is that these other schools have stronger traditions and these recent transfers got big NIL deals. Thay didn't happen at Iowa. The swarm has added women's basketball but it had to be convinced to do so. That hurts our chances for big name female athletes as these other schools apparently have been set up to support women from the beginning. The fact other schools are supporting multiple female.sports and athletes through their NIL collective indicates that Iowa isn't really all in on support of women's sports for NIL.
Like it or not you can't.come to the table.late and with limited options and then paint a picture that.our collective supports women. It doesn't. That is their choice but.it.doesnt.

So when people ask why these big stars aren't landing in Iowa City the NIL deals are a part of that. We don't have them at nearly the rate of other school. Like LSU for example.

I doubt by the way thay Caitlin Clark has any NIL deals.through the swarm. She may be the only.reason the swarm is supporting women's basketball but the star is doing her own deals more than likely. And she should.

Your contempt by the way for the other women's sports at Iowa rhat are not being marketed is kind of the point. You think women don't see that message loud and clear? Women's wrestling had an NIL deal by the way so the market is there. Just not with the swarm
If you think that NIL is the only reason we didn't land Morrow or Betts, you are really late to the party. Tip of the iceberg. There are a whole host of reasons discussed ad nauseum already (in this thread and others) that we were never going to land either, NIL only compounded them. This much has been clear to longtime fans at least as far back as 2019 when we made the Elite 8 under our last NPOY.

Those who were convinced either was a real possibility just don't understand the big picture (and many don't want to). Some think Caitlin Clark is going to solve all of our image and recruiting problems by merely existing but most dont believe we have any to begin with.

Your larger point makes sense but your original comment was inaccurate, that's all I take issue with. You do guess correctly that CC takes no money from the Swarm. This is another thing you can easily confirm by Googling. NGL the fact that you don't really know these details but are just guessing (and at times outright misspeaking) just makes it seem like you know little about WBB and so you seem annoying, sorry about it.

It's not your fault you seem annoying, there are just a lot of annoying bandwagoners on this board who never watched a WBB game before this season (or March rly) so you're a victim of circumstance I guess. I'll try to look past it bc I do agree with your larger argument and too many people here don't want to admit that:
  • We face multiple real obstacles in landing elite recruits
  • CC was truly a gift from god and we're incredibly lucky that a) she grew up down the road and b) ISU just hadn't been as successful as us recently, so she chose us.
Also I have no "contempt" for any other women's sport lol wtf...maybe men's sports tbh haha.

Last edited:
If you think that NIL is the only reason we didn't land Morrow or Betts, you are really late to the party. Tip of the iceberg. There are a whole host of reasons discussed ad nauseum already (in this thread and others) that we were never going to land either, NIL only compounded them. This much has been clear to longtime fans at least as far back as 2019 when we made the Elite 8 under our last NPOY.

Those who were convinced either was a real possibility just don't understand the big picture (and many don't want to). Some think Caitlin Clark is going to solve all of our image and recruiting problems by merely existing but most dont believe we have any to begin with.

Your larger point makes sense but your original comment was inaccurate, that's all I take issue with. You do guess correctly that CC takes no money from the Swarm. This is another thing you can easily confirm by Googling. NGL the fact that you don't really know these details but are just guessing (and at times outright misspeaking) just makes it seem like you know little about WBB and so you seem annoying, sorry about it.

It's not your fault you seem annoying, there are just a lot of annoying bandwagoners on this board who never watched a WBB game before this season (or March rly) so you're a victim of circumstance I guess. I'll try to look past it bc I do agree with your larger argument and too many people here don't want to admit that:
  • We face multiple real obstacles in landing elite recruits
  • CC was truly a gift from god and we're incredibly lucky that a) she grew up down the road and b) ISU just hadn't been as successful as us recently, so she chose us.
Also I have no "contempt" for any other women's sport lol wtf...maybe men's sports tbh haha.

We are lucky Iowa was her 2nd choice and not ISU. It would have sucked to lose out on her twice.

Reactions: shikreto
Where did LSU get all the $$$?
pimp-walk.gif

News flash to some of you know it alls:

-LSU women's basketball LOST $5,000,000 last year and was supported entirely by their football team;
-LSU women's basketball averaged 7,500 fans in attendance per game. Iowa averaged 11,000+.
-LSU does not have huge benefactors donating to women's basketball NIL. The school doesn't care about women's basketball. Louisiana is a much poorer state than Iowa, so the notion they are loaded with cash is nonsense.
-Iowa's football's NIL program, on the other hand, actually includes/subsidizes women's basketball, giving even the last player off Iowa women's bench the same funding as the best player on the football team. No other school does that.
-Iowa has far more recent women's basketball tradition than LSU. In fact, aside from this year, LSU hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 2018.
-LSU went out and hired a great coach who is a great recruiter. Iowa has a good coach who is a below average recruiter.

Instead of assuming "aw shucks we're just Iowa, we can't compete" like Kirk Ferentz always says, realize Iowa women's basketball has several advantages over LSU, fan support, recent history, and money included. The problem is Iowa women's basketball is led by two coaches (Jan Jensen, from the metropolis of Kimballton Iowa & Bluder, a Linn Marr grad) who look like they have never even talked to a black person before. The makeup of the team shows it. They don't venture outside their little bubble to recruit. Bluder does well with what she has, but doesn't recruit out of state players at the level the elite women's coaches do with ease.

In addition, Clark has proven to be the opposite of a Cade McNamara, who has the charisma to recruit and rally guys to Iowa. Clark rubs quite a few people (aside from Hawk fans & teammates) the wrong way. Unlike the very unlikable "Bayu Barbie," Caitlin hasn't been able to attract talent to want to play with her.

Last edited:

-LSU women's basketball LOST $5,000,000 last year and was supported entirely by their football team;
-LSU women's basketball averaged 7,500 fans in attendance per game. Iowa averaged 11,000+.
-LSU does not have huge benefactors donating to women's basketball NIL. The school doesn't care about women's basketball. Iowa's football NIL program, on the other hand, actually includes/subsidizes women's basketball, giving even the last player off Iowa women's bench the same funding as the best player on the football team. No other school does that.
-LSU simply has a great, flashy coach who is a great recruiter. Iowa has a good coach who is a below average recruiter.

Instead of just assuming "aw shucks we're just Iowa, we can't compete" like Kirk Ferentz, realize Iowa women's basketball has several big advantages over LSU, fan support and money included. The problem is Iowa has a couple of coaches who look like they have never even talked to a black person before outside Carver, and the makeup of the team shows it. Bluder does well with what she has, but doesn't recruit out of state players at the level the elite women's coaches do with ease.

In addition, Clark has proven to be the opposite of a Cade McNamara, who has the charisma to recruit and rally guys to Iowa. Clark rubs anyone outside Iowa the wrong way and hasn't been able to attract talent to want to play with her.
I like your post except the last paragraph. Every indication is that ALL of her teammates are huge fans of hers, whether it be in interviews, social settings, or games. I doubt she rubs everyone the wrong way that's considering coming here.

I have no idea, but have wondered about the same issues.

Here is the SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Interview from May 6

He said they called women basketball prospects who were in the transfer portal but he didn't get any call backs.

go to the 2:43:48 mark where he says this

He said Lisa Bluder is still actively pursuing a couple of gals

Reactions: IowasLaw

-LSU does not have huge benefactors donating to women's basketball NIL. The school doesn't care about women's basketball. Louisiana is a much poorer state than Iowa, so the notion they are loaded with cash is nonsense.
-Iowa's football's NIL program, on the other hand, actually includes/subsidizes women's basketball, giving even the last player off Iowa women's bench the same funding as the best player on the football team. No other school does that.
-Iowa has far more women's basketball tradition than LSU. In fact, aside from this year, LSU hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 2018. They hired a new coach this year who was able to single handedly put this team together in a few months.
-LSU has a great, flashy coach who is a great recruiter. Iowa has a good coach who is a below average recruiter.

Instead of just assuming "aw shucks we're just Iowa, we can't compete" like Kirk Ferentz, realize Iowa women's basketball has several big advantages over LSU, fan support and money included. The problem is Iowa has a couple of coaches who look like they have never even talked to a black person before outside Carver, and the makeup of the team shows it. Bluder does well with what she has, but doesn't recruit out of state players at the level the elite women's coaches do with ease.

In addition, Clark has proven to be the opposite of a Cade McNamara, who has the charisma to recruit and rally guys to Iowa. Clark rubs quite a few people (aside from Hawk fans & teammates) the wrong way. Unlike the very unlikable "Bayu Barbie," Caitlin hasn't been able to attract talent to want to play with her.
Who are the two coaches you're actually talking about here. I could maybe see this with Bluder. But for Fran he has definitely tried recruiting plenty of kids regardless of skin color, such a stupid thing to say out loud. Its usually has something more to do with the culture of the area than anyones ability to recruit. Sure there are some exceptions to this when the program or school has great tradition. But the south simply has a more diverse population than iowa, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why that make it more of a challenge to recruit minorities here.

Iowa has far more women's basketball tradition than LSU. In fact, aside from this year, LSU hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 2018. They hired a new coach this year who was able to single handedly put this team together in a few months.
This isn’t true. For one LSU used to be a powerhouse. I was in school from ‘06-‘11 and they were very, very good at that time and led by a player who is still in the WNBA.

May be ancient history now but they reached heights Iowa hadnt reached since 1993 during that time.

Also this is Mulkey’s second season. Last year they made the NCAAT as well.

La Tech was the premium WBB school in Louisiana and among the best of the whole country in the 80s and 90s but has completely fallen off since the mid 2000s. Back then LSU was also good but not at the same height as La Tech. It built up to the top of WBB in the mid 2000s just as La Tech went down, going to 5 consecutive Final Fours, though failed to reach the final in each occasion. Since then it fell back to average until Mulkey came aboard two years ago. Mulkey played for La Tech.

Bluder . . . doesn't recruit out of state players at the level the elite women's coaches do with ease.
This is certainly true, but isn’t it also true of Ferentz, McCaffrey, Heller? With the possible exception (not sure) of Joey Woody and certain event groups, is there a coach at Iowa who punches above their weight in recruiting? The recent passing of Bernie Wyatt reminds us that, at least occasionally, Iowa has been blessed with a great recruiter. John O'Hara also had the recruiting gene/magic, though his time at Iowa was sadly cut short.

At present, Iowa is blessed with coaches with good eyes for talent, and the ability to develop that talent. Fran, Phil Parker and Jan Jensen are but three good examples. But can they sell out-of-state prospects with elite offer lists on Iowa? Rarely, at best. I wish Bluder/Jensen had more sway on the recruiting trail with highly-sought prospects, just as I wish the same for Kirk and Fran. But even if Bluder/Jensen can’t leverage the Gustafson/Doyle/Clark era to recruit at a higher level, it’s been a helluva ride.

Hmmm….I wonder what the problem was before then 🤔
It wasn't a problem in the 80's when I was growing up in Iowa and in the 90's when I graduated from U of I, Iowa had black coaches in men's and women's bball when I started paying attention. I didn't really hear about Iowa struggling to attract and retain non white players until the current coaches got there and it's not like Iowa's demographics have changed much.

Right now 10 of the 11 football verbals are white and they are almost all from small towns. Many white Iowans don't think that's a big deal but if people don't think non white recruits don't notice things like that I think they are mistaken

It wasn't a problem in the 80's when I was growing up in Iowa and in the 90's when I graduated from U of I, Iowa had black coaches in men's and women's bball when I started paying attention. I didn't really hear about Iowa struggling to attract and retain non white players until the current coaches got there and it's not like Iowa's demographics have changed much.

Right now 10 of the 11 football verbals are white and they are almost all from small towns. Many white Iowans don't think that's a big deal but if people don't think non white recruits don't notice things like that I think they are mistaken

TOM Davis recruited lots of White kids and I doubt Hayden recruited an appreciable amount more blacks kids.

In fact I never remember having a black QB under HF, maybe early on!

It’s not like your thoughts have any real weight around here. You are a blatant hater!

This is certainly true, but isn’t it also true of Ferentz, McCaffrey, Heller? With the possible exception (not sure) of Joey Woody and certain event groups, is there a coach at Iowa who punches above their weight in recruiting? The recent passing of Bernie Wyatt reminds us that, at least occasionally, Iowa has been blessed with a great recruiter. John O'Hara also had the recruiting gene/magic, though his time at Iowa was sadly cut short.

At present, Iowa is blessed with coaches with good eyes for talent, and the ability to develop that talent. Fran, Phil Parker and Jan Jensen are but three good examples. But can they sell out-of-state prospects with elite offer lists on Iowa? Rarely, at best. I wish Bluder/Jensen had more sway on the recruiting trail with highly-sought prospects, just as I wish the same for Kirk and Fran. But even if Bluder/Jensen can’t leverage the Gustafson/Doyle/Clark era to recruit at a higher level, it’s been a helluva ride.
@AMAYS - to answer your question, Bluder's lack of out-of-state recruiting ability is far beyond that of Ferentz, McCaffery, Heller, Woody, etc.

Take Ferentz, for instance. Year in and year out, all of his skill position (aka "star" players) are imported from out of the Midwest. I can't remember the last QB in Iowa's two deeps from in-state, starting with Cade (Nevada), Petras (Cali), & Padilla (Colorado) going back years and years to Beathard (TN), Tate (TX), etc. Same goes for running backs and scholarship WRs. Home grown is fine for some positions, but to succeed in the Big 10 you have to recruit outside the Midwest.

Fran has been blessed with some really good in-state kids. But landing guys like National Player of the Year Garza out of D.C., Toussaint out of NYC, or landing the kid this year out of NJ, took some legit recruiting skills. One might argue Fran would have more success if he recruited even harder out of state.

Looking at Woody's track team roster, it's impressive how he was able to successfully span the country to land recruits from Cali to Texas to NYC to Florida. A track team made up entirely of midwesterners wouldn't cut it.

The baseball team too is loaded with a wide variety of out of state talent. The team's best player (Keaton Anthony) is from Georgia, and there are guys from Cali, Arizona, Washington, and even Canada.

Now look at what Bluder has brought in. You could throw a rock from Iowa City and hit virtually every girl on the team's hometown. That's great if the #1 overall recruit in the country grows up in your own back yard year after year, but when it only happens once in a generation, you should probably hire someone on your staff who can relate to young, out of state, urban girls.

Reactions: shikreto
TOM Davis recruited lots of White kids and I doubt Hayden recruited an appreciable amount more blacks kids.

In fact I never remember having a black QB under HF, maybe early on!

It’s not like your thoughts have any real weight around here. You are a blatant hater!
Haha, Ok dipshit. Please remind me of the time Tom Davis marched out 5 white starters like Fran did in 21. Oh yeah, it never happened. Hayden said his greatest accomplishment in coaching was helping break the color barrier in the SWC and he never had dozens of players speak out about a culture of racial bias like the guy you worship, but nice try.

To a cult member like yourself I'm sure a lot of people who can still grasp reality regardless of the sports team they support seem like "haters". Better get back to your safe space on the fb board and again... stop yelling

Last edited:
Haha, Ok dipshit. Please remind me of the time Tom Davis marched out 5 white starters like Fran did in 21. Oh yeah, it never happened. Hayden said his greatest accomplishment in coaching was helping break the color barrier in the SWC and he never had dozens of players speak out about a culture of racial bias like the guy you worship, but nice try.

To a cult member like yourself I'm sure a lot of people who can still grasp reality regardless of the sports team they support seem like "haters". Better get back to your safe space on the fb board and again... stop yelling

Yeah, I’ve heard that story about HF 500 times he was real happy to tell people that story about what a great thing he did!

Anything else?!

Except the white star went to LSU.

I’m a latecomer to the women’s team but I like what they have coming back next year. LSU will be loaded, but so was SC this year. Michael Jordan won plenty of NBA titles with marginal supporting cast. I’ll put my money on Caitlin.
What? Jordan didn't have a marginal supporting cast? The year he sat out the Bulls went 55 and 27. There were only 2 teams in this year's NBA that had better records and neither of those won more than 58 games.

I think Bluder is being sold a little short here. Clark didn't go to UCONN, Stanford, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Iowa State, or LSU. She could have gone to any of those schools but chose Iowa, admittingly in part because she wanted to play for Lisa Bluder.

I think Bluder is being sold a little short here. Clark didn't go to UCONN, Stanford, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Iowa State, or LSU. She could have gone to any of those schools but chose Iowa, admittingly in part because she wanted to play for Lisa Bluder.
Generally agree, but UCONN didn’t offer Clark, having placed all their eggs in the Bueckers basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT