ADVERTISEMENT

Why Don't the Stars Want to Play With Clark?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Does it seem like nothing's gone right for Iowa women's basketball since the HUGE Final 4 win?

-First, the refs (and a clear lack of athleticism) took the steam out of Iowa's chances in the national title game.

-Then Angel Reece's stock blew up simply by acting like a spoiled thug. Clark, the national player of the year who outplayed Reece in every area, has become more of an after thought.

-Next, season tickets were selling at a record pace...only for the athletic department to inexplicably place an indefinite hold on season ticket sales. They are opting instead to wait until the glow of the season fades before selling high demand tickets for next year. Explain that brilliant idea to me because anyone who knows the slightest bit about marketing knows you strike while the iron's hot and not the other way around.

-Next, virtually all elite women's programs reloaded for next year with high school recruits. LSU, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Maryland each signed two 5 star high school recruits. They also signed a bunch of 4 stars. Iowa, another Top 5 program, with the defending national player of the year coming back, completely struck out in recruiting. In fact, they ended up with the worst recruiting class in the Big 10. Their only decent commit, a 3 star, was in a terrible accident and will likely never play basketball again. Talk about squandering momentum.

Finally, there's the transfer portal. In the past few weeks, the elite teams have gone out and grabbed super star talent from the portal. Iowa, with it's snow white roster and extremely "Iowa looking" coaching staff, are just kind of waiting around. Most fans assumed Iowa would be the obvious destination for the best transfer portal bigs in the country to beg to play with the best passer in women's basketball, the best post player coach in women's basketball, and some of the best fans in women's basketball, to make a run at a national title. Nope. None.

Much like Kirk with WRs, Bluder has yet to even convince a grad transfer to take a visit to Iowa, let alone commit. Apparently Clark even made some calls to her national team teammates at the height of her popularity, but no one's calling her back.

So what gives? Why is a pre-season top 5 team with the nation's best player striking out so bad in the portal?

None of the other top programs are having any problems. Is Bluder that bad of a recruiter (ya have to admit, Clark, the nations #1 ranked recruit, fell into her lap growing up a Hawk fan)? It can't be NIL, because very few schools out there care about women's basketball as much as Iowa. It's not like the blue bloods of football have fans donating tens of thousands of dollars to their women's basketball collectives. Is Clark not the draw we think she is due to some of her antics and shot selection? Is there a reason nearly every team Iowa played in the tourney started 4 or 5 black players, yet Iowa is as white as snow?

Last edited:
I don’t follow women’s recruiting closely enough to know if Iowa has a strong or weak class coming in this year. Unless Iowa has an amazing class coming in, landing an impact player to complement Clark next season would seem both necessary and attainable (much more so than the situation right now for the Iowa men’s program).

This is a rare opportunity with one of the best women’s college basketball players over the past 10 years, who is returning next season (something that would never happen today in men’s college basketball where the great player would automatically turn pro).

I feel some of the most ardent Hawkeye women’s basketball fans on this forum are too close to the program to see the opportunity with the portal given Iowa’s unique situation.

Last edited:
I do wonder if the Title game backlash (doesn't matter what your opinion is) has an effect on recrutiing, especially women of color. I could imagine some negative recruiting going on.
Except the white star went to LSU.

I’m a latecomer to the women’s team but I like what they have coming back next year. LSU will be loaded, but so was SC this year. Michael Jordan won plenty of NBA titles with marginal supporting cast. I’ll put my money on Caitlin.

I’m a latecomer to the women’s team but I like what they have coming back next year. LSU will be loaded, but so was SC this year. Michael Jordan won plenty of NBA titles with marginal supporting cast. I’ll put my money on Caitlin.

I call posts like these pull stuff out of my ass posts.

LOL at the MJ reference of a marginal supporting cast. He played along three other Hall of Famers and a bunch of other good/great players like B.J., Kerr, Cartwright, Grant, Longley, Williams…

It is puzzling.
The inability to recruit out of state black players is an issue across all of Iowa's sports programs.
It's almost as if there was something really big that happened in the last few years that gave people of color across the country the idea that if you wanted to be treated fairly and with respect as a non white athlete Iowa might not be the place to go. I can't fathom what that could be but if you didn't know better....

It's almost as if there was something really big that happened in the last few years that gave people of color across the country the idea that if you wanted to be treated fairly and with respect as a non white athlete Iowa might not be the place to go. I can't fathom what that could be but if you didn't know better....

Whatever the reality is, perception is everything...

Clark is the focal point of the team offensively. Getting a guard like HVL to accept a lesser role wasn’t going to happen. With her personality, that comment about being down 15 had to drive her crazy. Going to LSU is the perfect way to throw it back in Clark's face, especially since Caitlin has never beat Angel Reese. As the South Carolina game shows, anything can happen but Iowa will need multiple players to take significant strides in order to get back to a FF.

Does it seem like nothing's gone right for Iowa women's basketball since its dream season came to an end?

-First, the refs took the steam out of Iowa's chances in the national title game.

-Then Angel Reece's stock blew up simply because she acted like a thug while Clark, the national player of the year who outplayed Reece in every area, has become more of an after thought.

-Next, season tickets were selling at a record pace...only for the brain trust in the athletic department to place an indefinite hold on season ticket sale, opting instead to wait until the glow of the season fades before selling high demand tickets for next year. Explain that brilliant idea to me?

-Next, virtually all of the elite women's programs reloaded for next year with high school recruits. LSU, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Maryland each signed two 5 star high school recruits and a bunch of 4 stars. Iowa, with Clark drawing unprecedented attention to the program, completely struck out in recruiting with one of the worst classes in the Big 10. Their only decent commit, a 3 star, was in a terrible accident and will likely never play basketball again.

Now there's the transfer portal. The elite teams grabbed super star talent from the portal. Iowa, and it's snow white roster, are just kind of waiting around. Most assumed Iowa would be the obvious destination this spring for the best transfer portal bigs in the country to beg to come play with the best passer in women's basketball, the best post player coach in women's basketball, and some of the best fans in women's basketball, to make a run at a national title. Nope.

Much like Kirk with WRs, Bluder has yet to even convince a grad transfer to take a visit to Iowa, let alone commit. Apparently Clark even made some calls at the height of her popularity, but no one's calling her back.

So what gives? Why is a pre-season top 5 team with the nation's best player striking out so bad in the portal? None of the other top programs are having any problems. Is Bluder that bad of a recruiter (ya have to admit, Clark, the nations #1 ranked recruit, fell into her lap growing up a Hawk fan)? It can't be NIL, because very few schools out there care about women's basketball as much as Iowa. It's not like the blue bloods of football have fans donating tens of thousands of dollars to their women's basketball collectives. Is Clark not the draw we think she is due to some of her antics and shot selection? Is there a reason nearly every team Iowa played in the tourney started 4 or 5 black players, yet Iowa is as white as snow?
Kirk landed two WRs from the portal just this year. As for why we didn’t get anyone for women’s basketball, I have no clue. It seems like it would be a dream scenario for a player to come in and play with a veteran group that just made the championship. Maybe Bluder trusts what they have and didn’t push it too hard.

Antics.. lol jfc
If HVL was bothered by antics LSU would have been a hard pass. LSU puts her with a big so there is room. For both to do their thing... her role on a team with clark would mean a lower profile as she is trying to position herself for wnba draft. I also think Bluder is going to be extremely selective about who she brings in... not going to recruit over clark/Gabby/Kate or probably stuelke. Thar just leaves the post.. and only someone who playes back to the basket, has excellent hands, and is better than a third year OGrady/Goodman/Ediger... and I think Ogrady raised her stock in the tournament...

Unfortunately, people would be stupid enough to believe that should be a reason to stay away from Iowa..........

Hmmm….I wonder what the problem was before then 🤔

Does it seem like nothing's gone right for Iowa women's basketball since its dream season came to an end?

-First, the refs took the steam out of Iowa's chances in the national title game.

-Then Angel Reece's stock blew up simply because she acted like a thug while Clark, the national player of the year who outplayed Reece in every area, has become more of an after thought.

-Next, season tickets were selling at a record pace...only for the brain trust in the athletic department to place an indefinite hold on season ticket sale, opting instead to wait until the glow of the season fades before selling high demand tickets for next year. Explain that brilliant idea to me?

-Next, virtually all of the elite women's programs reloaded for next year with high school recruits. LSU, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Maryland each signed two 5 star high school recruits and a bunch of 4 stars. Iowa, with Clark drawing unprecedented attention to the program, completely struck out in recruiting with one of the worst classes in the Big 10. Their only decent commit, a 3 star, was in a terrible accident and will likely never play basketball again.

Now there's the transfer portal. The elite teams grabbed super star talent from the portal. Iowa, and it's snow white roster, are just kind of waiting around. Most assumed Iowa would be the obvious destination this spring for the best transfer portal bigs in the country to beg to come play with the best passer in women's basketball, the best post player coach in women's basketball, and some of the best fans in women's basketball, to make a run at a national title. Nope.

Much like Kirk with WRs, Bluder has yet to even convince a grad transfer to take a visit to Iowa, let alone commit. Apparently Clark even made some calls at the height of her popularity, but no one's calling her back.

So what gives? Why is a pre-season top 5 team with the nation's best player striking out so bad in the portal? None of the other top programs are having any problems. Is Bluder that bad of a recruiter (ya have to admit, Clark, the nations #1 ranked recruit, fell into her lap growing up a Hawk fan)? It can't be NIL, because very few schools out there care about women's basketball as much as Iowa. It's not like the blue bloods of football have fans donating tens of thousands of dollars to their women's basketball collectives. Is Clark not the draw we think she is due to some of her antics and shot selection? Is there a reason nearly every team Iowa played in the tourney started 4 or 5 black players, yet Iowa is as white as snow?

What’s with the “white as snow” racial comments?

Why does skin color matter to some of you? We were one win away from the national championship and you’re taking issue with the skin color composition of the team?

I think there are a few reasons. The two biggest reasons first. 1. Most of us live in Iowa and enjoy our life style here. To most people outside of Iowa they see Iowa differently. Iowa is not a destination…. Especially for young people. 2. I think some top shelf players may see the Hawk’s as a one hit wonder. After Katlin we’ll no longer be in the limelight like we are currently. And of course number 3 sharing the spot light with Katlin. The first reason is the biggest problem of all ….this also goes for Football. That’s why we’ll never get a high caliber coach in either sport. Coaches know that this is a problem in a state with low population and not being a destination state ….. you will always have problems drawing outside top shelf talent!

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
I think there are a few reasons. The two biggest reasons first. 1. Most of us live in Iowa and enjoy our life style here. To most people outside of Iowa they see Iowa differently. Iowa is not a destination…. Especially for young people. 2. I think some top shelf players may see the Hawk’s as a one hit wonder. After Katlin we’ll no longer be in the limelight like we are currently. And of course number 3 sharing the spot light with Katlin. The first reason is the biggest problem of all ….this also goes for Football. That’s why we’ll never get a high caliber coach in either sport. Coaches know that this is a problem in a state with low population and not being a destination state ….. you will always have problems drawing outside top shelf talent!
Who is "Katlin".... o_O

Why does skin color matter to some of you? We were one win away from the national championship and you’re taking issue with the skin color composition of the team?
In context, I don't think that its the Iowa fans that have the issue with the racial makeup of the team. But , if you don't think it is somewhat of an issue for young ladies of color to consider Iowa, (especially when they have other options among top 5 teams), then I'd say your being naive. People should consider also that its not like we didn't get Betts, Donarski, Morrow, or HVL because they went to UNI, or Indiana State. All of these players went to top 5-10 level schools where they felt a better fit. I think many thought that Clarks magic season would open the flood gates, but realistically we only had one spot, and there were only 4 or 5 players worth getting worked up over, and frankly Betts is probably the only one who filled a real need for are roster.

In context, I don't think that its the Iowa fans that have the issue with the racial makeup of the team. But , if you don't think it is somewhat of an issue for young ladies of color to consider Iowa, (especially when they have other options among top 5 teams), then I'd say your being naive. People should consider also that its not like we didn't get Betts, Donarski, Morrow, or HVL because they went to UNI, or Indiana State. All of these players went to top 5-10 level schools where they felt a better fit. I think many thought that Clarks magic season would open the flood gates, but realistically we only had one spot, and there were only 4 or 5 players worth getting worked up over, and frankly Betts is probably the only one who filled a real need for are roster.
Why do you think playing basketball at Iowa is an issue for ladies of color?

It doesn’t matter whether it matters to us. It matters to kids, especially kids of color. They don’t wanna be the token black kid and they wanna feel like they fit in and they wanna be part of the black WBB community.

Why do you think playing basketball at Iowa is an issue for ladies of color?
It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what I THINK. Thats the point. Its pretty obvious its an issue for many high school players and portal players. Most of the ladies we landed had ties to or proximity to Iowa, like Stuelke.. Why did Raveling leave Iowa and head West. Hint: he was pretty candid about it......

It doesn’t matter whether it matters to us. It matters to kids, especially kids of color. They don’t wanna be the token black kid and they wanna feel like they fit in and they wanna be part of the black WBB community.

Well then why in the hell are multiple posters bringing up race like were at some sort of disadvantage because were "snow white"? We damn near won the national title.

Not exactly sure how this fits into the conversation but these 6 girls tweeted they'd been offered this past week:

4/24/23: Isis Johnson Musah
Jaliya Davis

4/25/23: Trinity Jones

4/27/23: Sanai Green
Brihanna Crittendon
Saniyah Hall

One guess what they all have in common.

I also wonder if this gets brought up much in recruiting: C. Vivian Stringer became Iowa's coach in 1983. How many other black womens coaches were there in NCAA D1 basketball then? Plus, she was loved and respected by the fan base. Took us to a Final Four as well. Long track record of inclusiveness.

Our demographics in Iowa have been a punching bag for American society through no fault of our own ever since the George Floyd incident.

Not exactly sure how this fits into the conversation but these 6 girls tweeted they'd been offered this past week:

4/24/23: Isis Johnson Musah
Jaliya Davis

4/25/23: Trinity Jones

4/27/23: Sanai Green
Brihanna Crittendon
Saniyah Hall

One guess what they all have in common.

I also wonder if this gets brought up much in recruiting: C. Vivian Stringer became Iowa's coach in 1983. How many other black womens coaches were there in NCAA D1 basketball then? Plus, she was loved and respected by the fan base. Took us to a Final Four as well. Long track record of inclusiveness.

Our demographics in Iowa have been a punching bag for American society through no fault of our own ever since the George Floyd incident.
Stringer actually left bc she wanted to raise her kids somewhere where they would be around black people.

Stringer actually left bc she wanted to raise her kids somewhere where they would be around black people.
Wonder if things would have been different had her husband not passed away. I know there were accusations of his case not being handled properly; you knew Coach Stringer wouldn't stay after that.

you are the biggest racist on this board. how you are allowed to remain on here is the great mystery of all time

Reactions: sbhawk64
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT