ADVERTISEMENT

Why is a 15 year old …

In high school we built a 2 story house for the school. It was a program to introduce students to the construction trade. We were 15-16-17 years old. I would say we learned more about our futures doing that, than we would have sitting in a language arts classroom.

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman
The people complaining about a teenager working are too big of wimps to do any work themselves. They want teenagers to feel useless and going through life with no purpose or perspective. So they can brainwash them with their Marxist ideology.

Reactions: Roncuba55
roofing at 50' with no safety equipment at 15 is not the same as roofing your roof that's 10 feet off the ground.
walking beans baling hay and driving a tractor isn't quite the same as roofing at 50' high.
So it's the height and safety that's your issue, not the actual work.

I love the back in the day posters. I have no quarrel with kids working, kids who grew up on farms pitching in, and the such, but you are ignoring a lot of things.
1. I didn't have a choice about spending weekends working on the family farm for free. A lot of you didn't have a choice. The kid in this story probably didn't have much of a choice but to get up on that roof.
2. For all the posters who fondly remember farm work as kids, how many of you have a friend or cousin who lost a finger, walks with a limp, or can't raise their arm above their shoulder? Know anyone that died? I have an uncle who lost an arm in a farming accident, and a good family friend died under a tractor after tipping it in a turn.

I love the back in the day posters. I have no quarrel with kids working, kids who grew up on farms pitching in, and the such, but you are ignoring a lot of things.
1. I didn't have a choice about spending weekends working on the family farm for free. A lot of you didn't have a choice. The kid in this story probably didn't have much of a choice but to get up on that roof.
2. For all the posters who fondly remember farm work as kids, how many of you have a friend or cousin who lost a finger, walks with a limp, or can't raise their arm above their shoulder? Know anyone that died? I have an uncle who lost an arm in a farming accident, and a good family friend died under a tractor after tipping it in a turn.
My father lost his left arm, below the elbow, to a corn picker.

My cousin may have lost a baseball career, when his little finger was almost taken off with hay mower. They tried to save it, but probably should have finished the job.

My father lost his left arm, below the elbow, to a corn picker.

My cousin may have lost a baseball career, when his little finger was almost taken off with hay mower. They tried to save it, but probably should have finished the job.

I'm guessing the hospital wasn't equipped to put the finger back on the way it needed to be done. My son had his finger cut off working over the summer and luckily we're close enough to a trauma 1 hospital that can deal with it. It took a surgeon doing some kind of micro-surgery to put it back on correctly. There's a lot of "trauma hospitals" but very very few "trauma 1 hospitals".

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Lol at folks just telling us how dangerous their jobs were when they were kids

grumpy-dana-carvey.gif
Dad was a contractor and my brother and myself went on many roofing jobs in the summers. We carried shingles up many 2 story jobs.

I hated silos. Still do.
Yeah, we had to clean them out after being emptied or go in them tied off if frozen. Had a couple guys I knew go in and fell through the frozen crust on top die due to suffocation. They cut the side open to try and get them out but it was too late by the time they found them. Sad deal to see guys in their early 20’s lose their life due to not taking the proper precautions by being tied off.

Back in the day, kids under 18 sat around on the internet and played video games and yelled at mom to cook pizza rolls for them, talking smack about older people telling stories of their childhood days working hard on the farm.

Oh, wait, that was today.

Reactions: goldmom
Like a lot of people on here...grew up on a farm...was doing everything on a farm at s super young age.

Most dangerous...climbing grain bins...did it once and that was it.....did get caught in a PTO shaft that was running when I was 18....it was summer and the t-shirt I was wearing had a bunch of holes in it and it was so worn you could literally see through it...it ripped off me so fast I didn't have time to flinch.

Nearly lost my hand trying to unplug the hopper as we were grinding corn still on the cobb...that one made me break out in a cold sweat...it could have very easily grabbed me and pulled me right into the hopper...don't remember how old I was...but was old enough to know I could a been killed.

Most scared I ever was....driving out into the pasture or fields looking for new born calves to tag....those moms were CRAZY angry

Losing a finger builds character.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
We mowed the lawn in Florida barefoot. Does that count?
My brother spent the summer when he was 15 on a relative’s farm in North Carolina driving farm equipment. It was a tobacco farm and he also learned to harness up a mule team and drive a wagon.
He and my other brother worked concrete when one was 14 and the other was 16. Made $2.65 an hour and would come home, hose off on the backyard and leave their clothes there, wrap a towel around their waist, eat dinner and be asleep by 8PM.

I wonder if this teen an undocumented who had a fake ID? And if he’d been able to get a job in his home country would he have been working there?

Seems like a few folks who've never worked with their hands in their lives know more than those that have in this thread. Par for the course around here.

The fact that was a 50 foot fall needs more context. Rarely is someone actually roofing that high in the air and 50 foot ladders aren’t very common. Maybe the back of the house abutted to a hill or drop off and the kid fell off the back of the roof and increased the distance of the fall.

By 15 I was climbing, rigging, and cutting trees all well over 100' Never thought twice about it and still do it today. Thanks dad!

The fact that was a 50 foot fall needs more context. Rarely is someone actually roofing that high in the air and 50 foot ladders aren’t very common. Maybe the back of the house abutted to a hill or drop off and the kid fell off the back of the roof and increased the distance of the fall.
Why would it need more context? The kid is dead and the company is guilty of violating child labor laws. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Why would it need more context? The kid is dead and the company is guilty of violating child labor laws. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
It’s good to know the details of how accidents happen so others can avoid them in the future. No doubt this firm wasn’t following proper protocols and should be punished.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Roofing ain't got shit on baling hay all god damned day in July...especially when you're stacking up in the loft. Just when the temp drops below 90, it's to milk the cows.........

Guessing it was a big apartment building at that height.

Google Cullman Casting Corp. and search images. It’s a big foundry, not much pitch to the roof, must not have been paying attention to where he was and fell off the edge. Kinda looks like the roof might be metal on that facility but I’m no expert on that.

Reactions: goldmom
It’s good to know the details of how accidents happen so others can avoid them in the future.

OSHA has several regulations on the matter. All roofers working above a certain height that I don't recall are required to either be tied off, have a catch net in place or be working inside a guard rail. Very few on the residential side comply with this, but the law is established.

I think it's safe to say that many of us have relatives and friends who have been killed and maimed in industrial and agricultural incidents, some whom were even younger than 15 and, at least to me, the sanguine bravado of the 'back in my day' posters rings as tone-deaf.

Guessing it was a big apartment building at that height.

Google Cullman Casting Corp. and search images. It’s a big foundry, not much pitch to the roof, must not have been paying attention to where he was and fell off the edge. Kinda looks like the roof might be metal on that facility but I’m no expert on that.
I looked at it. It has 3 foot wide rolls of some type of rolled roofing on the main building, likely APP, SBS, or just rolled asphalt. I can see the newer sections are wider rolls of something white, likely 10 foot wide rolls of TPO. That's probably what the main building was being switched over to. In any case, not much pitch to it, as you noted.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Old enough to die falling off a roof but not old enough to watch a drag queen according to some of those saying he's old enough to work on a roof.

Reactions: ferentzin04
My uncle got ran over as a kid on an old barge wagon and he lost an eye.

Dad had his thumb reattached twice.

When I was between 16 to 21 I felt like Superman on the farm. Always jumped from the top step of the tractor. Muscle then brains

This fall I went back and at 44 years young, I thought I tore all the ligaments in my knee when I jumped from the bottom step.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT