ADVERTISEMENT

Why is America so divided?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I heard famed historian Doris Kearns Goodwin say that America hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. That makes sense to me. Americans don't really agree on anything. It's almost like two different countries.

It's very pronounced.

What's the reason for this? Social media? Trump?

I heard famed historian Doris Kearns Goodwin say that America hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. That makes sense to me. Americans don't really agree on anything. It's almost like two different countries.

It's very pronounced.

Lots of racist uneducated morons who haven't forgotten the butt hurt of the civil war.

It's very pronounced.

Crazy people on both sides are the loudest and make it seem more divided than it is.

If we could muzzle the MTGs and the Squad members...

And if we had a media that actually wasn't biased and reported the news without slant...

And If we could go back to simpler times when it was understood if you have a penis you're a dude...

But that's not reality.

It's very pronounced.

Social media. . . people now talk to each other without even seeing one another. We're doing that right now.

Problem is that talking over a screen makes it easy to dehumanize others. Then they become an incarnation of evil and hurting them suddenly becomes acceptable.

On top of that we got to where extremists find other extremists and they get together and egg one another on to be more and more extreme.

It starts at the top, our failed politicians
There's a lot of truth in this. Politicians, mostly MAGAs, have decided to sink into the gutter. Regular people see this lack of decorum and respect and think it's ok if they act this way too. Mix in social media allowing anyone to say whatever they want while hiding behind a screen and you get the mess that we are in right now.

Social media. . . people now talk to each other without even seeing one another. We're doing that right now.

Problem is that talking over a screen makes it easy to dehumanize others. Then they become an incarnation of evil and hurting them suddenly becomes acceptable.

On top of that we got to where extremists find other extremists and they get together and egg one another on to be more and more extreme.

I see spiritual warfare behind most things, especially America's divisions.

What do you think?

It's very pronounced.

People don't bother to listen to each other, therefor don't understand each other.

I see spiritual warfare behind most things, especially America's divisions.

What do you think?

I see it as more as our ways of relating to one another have dramatically shifted so that our natural opposition to harming others get overwritten by dehumanization. This is disturbing to me because all of the worst crimes against humanity start with some level of dehumanization.

So many people think this country belongs to them and the people that think like them the "Real Americans" and the other Americans who don't think like that are the other Americans who are lesser than. So this justifies nearly any means to get what they want.

Another issue is that because of our 2 party system due to the way we elect our leaders we tend to see the country as everyone being on one side or the other.

It starts at the top, our failed politicians
100%. Just for laughs I once said on here if Kim Reynolds personally handed every Iowa citizen $20 some would complain it wasn't $25. I then proceeded to get bombarded with comments on why she wouldn't instead of why they would be appreciative.

The Neanderthal/Tribal way of thinking has bled rhough politics into everyday life.

Reactions: 83Hawk

It's very pronounced.

Very divided on social media for sure.

In person? Seems like it's the same as it's always been.

It's very pronounced.

Trump and woke people.

All of which is exacerbated by media.

Right, I agree, however when you have media outlets claiming to be fair and balanced news spreading half truths into 70 million homes per night, it's understandable how it can get out of control.
Michael Richards Yes GIF

It's very pronounced.

You left out Biden

Reactions: noletaire
100%. Just for laughs I once said on here if Kim Reynolds personally handed every Iowa citizen $20 some would complain it wasn't $25. I then proceeded to get bombarded with comments on why she wouldn't instead of why they would be appreciative.

The Neanderthal/Tribal way of thinking has bled rhough politics into everyday life.
No need to insult Neanderthals.

I have it on good authority that Neanderthals didn't lie or engage in propaganda.

Suckers. That's why they aren't around any more.

It's very pronounced.

I'll say the biggest thing is social media. That aside I work at a place where 2,000 workers pass through the breakroom. If politics aren't talked about (which is very rare) everyone gets along.

I (white/native) grew up with a mentally and sometimes physically abusive black stepdad. I am man enough to admit at least for most of my childhood I was not a fan of black people but having a 1/2 black sister, multiple gay family members, tons of talks/apologies from my mother I found my anger was aimed at one person and not ALL of that one person. 15 years later my best friends at work are a 300# black dude and a 5'3" 130# dude from Congo. I work with and get along with White, Black, Native, Latino, African coworkers. Hell I even work with a ton of Samoan/Polynesian people.

Basically the hippie in me thinks this country is only divided based off the context of conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT