ADVERTISEMENT

Why is baseball the worst officiated sport?

GLDokUYXsAEjtS5

I think what’s infuriating to fans the most is how defensive mlb/umpires union are. It’s worse than pulling teeth to ever get them to admit an umpire made a mistake, and then ever more rare to publicly state when they’re held accountable.

Hernandez for example ought to be removed from home plate duties for the foreseeable future.

I think what’s infuriating to fans the most is how defensive mlb/umpires union are. It’s worse than pulling teeth to ever get them to admit an umpire made a mistake, and then ever more rare to publicly state when they’re held accountable.

Hernandez for example ought to be removed from home plate duties for the foreseeable future.
sweet jesus they couldnt even keep him out of the playoffs without being sued. how do you expect that to happen?

• Sad
Reactions: sober_teacher
The key is though, was he consistent in his balls and strikes call. I think the strike zone is overrated as far as hitters go… they would prefer a consistent strike zone game to game..
However, the square box is great fir the commentators to constantly critique the umpires…it adds more @noise” to the game….annd we Americans love our noise!

Reactions: KFsdisciple
A lot of people criticizing umps in here, well there's a nation wide shortage for umps at all levels... if you think it's easy to stand in there while an object is being hurled your direction at a high rate of velocity, meanwhile seeing and processing balks and game situations and having to make bang bang calls without the benefit of replay.

The little league and high school ball players of the world need you to get off your lazy ass and give it a try. Oh and be prepared to take a certain amount of crap from people at 8 am on a Saturday morning you wouldn't have to take doing any other job.

A lot of people criticizing umps in here, well there's a nation wide shortage for umps at all levels... if you think it's easy to stand in there while an object is being hurled your direction at a high rate of velocity, meanwhile seeing and processing balks and game situations and having to make bang bang calls without the benefit of replay.

The little league and high school ball players of the world need you to get off your lazy ass and give it a try. Oh and be prepared to take a certain amount of crap from people at 8 am on a Saturday morning you wouldn't have to take doing any other job.
I will openly admit that while being a college level baseball player, I was a terrible umpire. I caught myself watching the game when on the bases and not trusting the catcher when behind the plate.

I will openly admit that while being a college level baseball player, I was a terrible umpire. I caught myself watching the game when on the bases and not trusting the catcher when behind the plate.
It's not as easy as it looks to stand in there behind the catcher when a ball is coming at you even at 60-70 mph and don't blink, don't flinch, trust your catcher, trust your gear, and know at some point in the game a ball is probably still gonna catch you and it won't feel pleasant.

Teachers, nurses, police officers disagree with your last point.

Reffing is really hard. More people should give it a shot. I HATE having to do it during scrimmages.

It's not as easy as it looks to stand in there behind the catcher when a ball is coming at you even at 60-70 mph and don't blink, don't flinch, trust your catcher, trust your gear, and know at some point in the game a ball is probably still gonna catch you and it won't feel pleasant.
I was a catcher so I was used to the speed of the pitches. But... I was also in control of and responsible for catching the ball. When I was in high school in the late 70s, I had a scout tell me I was the best defensive catcher in So. Florida. I never really thought about the umpire having confidence in me but, looking back, I feel like they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT