ADVERTISEMENT

Why Is Iowa Inept On The Road?

Mar 14, 2003
I’ve never seen a team that is this bad on the road? We make awful teams look good. Better get it together or we may find ourselves in the NIT come March.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
I’ve never seen a team that is this bad on the road? We make awful teams look good. Better get it together or we may find ourselves in the NIT come March.
Not just the men either, look at the women. In fact IOWA teams in general seem to have zero mental toughness when they need it, they need a sports psychologist to help the whole department get over that hump.
God,it just frustrates me!

Not just the men either, look at the women. In fact IOWA teams in general seem to have zero mental toughness when they need it, they need a sports psychologist to help the whole department get over that hump.
God,it just frustrates me!

The women have won games on the road against mid to lower tier.

Really? You know we play In the B1G right? Look up how many road victories there have been this year.

Have you seen any B1G basketball this year? It's the entire league. Nobody's winning on the road.
PSU just went into West Lafayette and stomped the Purdue team that hung 150 pts on us.

Michigan State just beat Illinios @ Illinios.

2 road wins, same night

Really? You know we play In the B1G right? Look up how many road victories there have been this year.
It is hard to win on the road in any league. I am not convinced the B1G is as good as what everyone says it is. Heck, to beat Iowa, all you have to do is let Garza score as much as he wants and don't let Wieskamp and CJ get shots.

Reactions: Pepperman
Iowa now has six scholarship players who aren't injured. With the way the game was called early with Joe T., Garza, Connor, and Kreiner picking up early fouls Iowa almost had to play soft defensively to keep from fouling out because they have almost no one to come off the bench. Before Pemsl screwed up, Iowa had three C/PFs. With him out, they had two. Okay, really only one because Kreiner hasn't been able to rebound the ball (or even hold onto it) for weeks now.

Even with guys crashing the boards Iowa can't compete against teams with multiple 6'8'' players with athleticism and bounce. They also have to play soft on the perimeter when the game's being officiated the way it was today. Joe T. is really inexperienced and picks up fouls on the perimeter for being overly zealous which means depleting the bench by bringing in Bakari. Or Till (!!!) -- I think this game ends the discussion about Till getting Pemsl's minutes. He looked completely lost when he was on the court. But that's what happens with injuries and dumbshit decisions like Pemsl's.

Honestly, it's amazing that Iowa has done as well as it has this year. It's almost all Garza--he's definitely the only Iowa player who can actually play well on the road even with a thin bench. Weiskamp pulled a "Moss" for most of the game, just disappeared. Garza is truly great, I mean, incredibly great given how completely and totally dependent Iowa is on his play to have success. Iowa would probably be battling with Northwestern and Nebraska for last in the conference without him this year.

Reactions: royhobbs2
Have you seen any B1G basketball this year? It's the entire league. Nobody's winning on the road.
That was the trend early on. But plenty of road teams have been winning as of late. Including the last two opponents to play at Indiana and the last road team to play at Purdue. MSU also just lost at home to name a few.

PSU just went into West Lafayette and stomped the Purdue team that hung 150 pts on us.

2 road wins, same night

Penn State and MSU are better than Iowa is right now. Iowa's down to 6 scholarship players. You can't lose Tyler Cook, Isaiah Moss, Maishe Dailey to defections in the offseason, suffer injuries/illnesses to JBo, Nunge, PMac early in the season, have Pemsl brain fart his way out of a critical road game, and then lose CJF to injury during the first half (and probably for the rest of the year) and expect Iowa to be able to play as well as the top B10 teams on the road. It sucks, but it shows just how much Garza was able to elevate the whole team for most of the year. Still, he can only do so much and the team can only handle so much attrition before falling back to earth.

Reactions: pkongsh

Iowa has been bad on the road in-conference compared to the rest of the league, especially those expected to contend. Mich St, IL, Maryland, Wisky and PSU all have at least 2 conference road wins vs. teams expected to finish >.500. Iowa has zero and has looked bad doing it.

This Indiana team that just hung 89 on us has had difficulty putting up 60+ points in B1G play. In fact, Mich, Neb, Maryland, Purd & IN have all had their best offensive games of the YEAR against us (not to mention DePaul).

We have scored below our season average 5 of the last 6 games.

There is just so sugar-coating this disturbing trend. Very easy to see yet another late-season fade coming, followed by a difficult post-season. Really hope I'm wrong, but I'm probably not.

2 road wins, same night

Maryland also won some road games including at Illinois.

Iowa will also win at Illinois.

Matchups matter.

The 'it's hard to win on the road in the B1G' is a tired excuse. Yes, people know there are fewer road wins than home wins. Iowa has a single road win in the B1G. One. For a team that played its way in to top 5 seed discussion, that is not cool... and I gurantee the players think the same.

Iowa is tied for 3rd and has the tie breaker over Rutgers, not to bad for such a lousy team. that is short 3 key starters. these are maybe the difference between being in 1st place and 3rd,
Jordan
Fredrick [who didn't play @ Nebraska]
Nunge who would have given Garza some much needed help at the 5 if not starting @ the 4.

gee why don't some of you go support the clowns since you don't support the Hawks.
in a season when posters and outsiders were predicting a 10th or worse finish with no post season play, to being 18-8 overall 9-6 BT T-3rd with a solid 6 seed in the NCAAT.

yet all some of you can do is trash these players and team. Minnesota going into that game was a -4.5 favorite over Iowa. W/O Fredrick and yet Iowa won holding Minnesota scoreless over the last 4 minutes.

gee can you people show anymore HATRED for these players and Fran?

Reactions: MSTM Alum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT