ADVERTISEMENT

Why isn’t anyone talking about the obvious?

the24fan

HR Heisman
Jul 30, 2007
Everyone quick here to blame SP, and while he deserves some of the blame, isn’t it obvious where the problem is? Anyone , anyone, Bueller, Bueller....
The problem starts up front . We are getting absolutely killed up front on both lines!
our O line is terrible right now! And the D line is only slightly better. We have no run game at all which is a raw QBs best friend. People can bitch all they want but if we can’t stop the bleeding up front and run the football NOTHING is going to get better .

We badly need a new RT. We tried two guys there today and they both played horrible. Nixon and Gohlston need some help on the DL.

Reactions: grayhair81
I agree that the lines need work, however, Petras has WAY more time than Stanley did last year by a bunch. Now, if you are simply saying that the run game sucks, I will buy that for sure. I will take a wait and see on whether Petras can get better. He certainly has a ton of physical gifts for the position.

I hate to say it, but it just feels like our running game has been pretty poor for many years now, save for the Wadley Senior year maybe.. I mean, we’ve had some Okay to good years but when was the last time Iowa had a top 20 rushing attack.

The o-line didn’t throw 100mph fast balls to open receivers on short routes.

i get that but I think the pressure in his face is causing some of that. Wouldn’t you agree we need to run the football to be successful and that starts up front

Reactions: RothMatt
We badly need a new RT. We tried two guys there today and they both played horrible. Nixon and Gohlston need some help on the DL.
Heflin #96 is the worst DTackle I have seen in a long time. Noah Shannon is only a Soph but is clearly the better player. Heflin shouldn't see the field unless all our other DTackles are injured or tired.

Absolutely, but Brian didn’t even TRY to establish a running game. And NW was missing their 2 starting DTs!
I‘m a Tyler Goodson fan, but realistically he’s not an every down back. Shows no patience in picking a hole and so gets consistently stuffed for 1 yard losses or no gain. We need need some bigger, more physical backs if we hope to establish a running game against good teams.

Reactions: no_one_
That’s a cop out OP... are you kidding me when he is slinging 250 mph cannons for a simple 5 yard gain? He was overthinking and overthrowing all his receivers... he learned too much from Stanley as he sure puts way too much mustard on his passes .. time for a change - it’s sickening watching this team underachieving every week and it’s only been 2 weeks! Now there’s not a game on Iowa’s schedule they can consider a automatic W... how many times can you possibly overthrow a player?

I‘m a Tyler Goodson fan, but realistically he’s not an every down back. Shows no patience in picking a hole and so gets consistently stuffed for 1 yard losses or no gain. We need need some bigger, more physical backs if we hope to establish a running game against good teams.
No

They've been de-Doylized... And I'm only half kidding!
Man... I was thinking the same thing. The dude was probably a jackass, but demanded, expected, and got the most out of “developmental” talent. The OL hasn’t been great running the ball. Pass protection seemed ok. DL against the run could be better too (2nd half of Purdue game). However, the D as a whole playing well enough to be 2-0. QB play and OC have to get better.

In my estimation Petras has been very inconsistent in the first two games. I’m not surprised, his first two starts ever and jumping right into B1G play after a highly unusual off-season. We need to help him out. He shouldn’t be dropping back to pass 50+ times.

The run game was fine yesterday, in the limited chances we gave it to work. 3.3 YPC is just fine on just 20ish carries. I thought the same thing last week when we were slightly more balanced and averaged 5.5 YPC. We need to take pressure off Petras by running the ball. He’s in his second start, he needs a strong run game to keep the defense honest. And last week we could have leaned on it a LOT more. This week we never even tried to establish it.

For reference, we are crushing the rush defense, and NW averaged 2.4 YPC on 60 rushes. That’s not good, but it was enough to win them the game because it allowed them to control the ball and have a more efficient passing game. We should be able to win with 3.3 YPC (and I’d expect it to improve with more commitment), and we definitely should have won with 5.5 YPC.

TLDR: The run game isn’t the problem, the commitment to it is. And in a QBs first two starts, without any “warm-up” games and an unusual offense, we need to help him by running the ball.

Petras has happy feet and consistently bails LATERALLY instead of vertically at the first sign of an off-colored hat. That is a combination of poor instincts/awareness and bad coaching.

At least 6 or 8 times yesterday he ran outside when he could have stepped FORWARD into a decent pocket to extend a play and potentially make a throw.

Watch his mechanics, his footwork and field vision. All are pretty bad for a starting QB at this level. And none of those things is a quick OJT fix.

In my estimation Petras has been very inconsistent in the first two games. I’m not surprised, his first two starts ever and jumping right into B1G play after a highly unusual off-season. We need to help him out. He shouldn’t be dropping back to pass 50+ times.

The run game was fine yesterday, in the limited chances we gave it to work. 3.3 YPC is just fine on just 20ish carries. I thought the same thing last week when we were slightly more balanced and averaged 5.5 YPC. We need to take pressure off Petras by running the ball. He’s in his second start, he needs a strong run game to keep the defense honest. And last week we could have leaned on it a LOT more. This week we never even tried to establish it.

For reference, we are crushing the rush defense, and NW averaged 2.4 YPC on 60 rushes. That’s not good, but it was enough to win them the game because it allowed them to control the ball and have a more efficient passing game. We should be able to win with 3.3 YPC (and I’d expect it to improve with more commitment), and we definitely should have won with 5.5 YPC.

TLDR: The run game isn’t the problem, the commitment to it is. And in a QBs first two starts, without any “warm-up” games and an unusual offense, we need to help him by running the ball.
Iowa didn't run the ball enough to know if the run game was going to be effective. They called the game like they were trailing by multiple scores.

Iowa didn't run the ball enough to know if the run game was going to be effective. They called the game like they were trailing by multiple scores.
Exactly. Even on the last possession it was curious how pass-happy we were. We could have run the ball.

It was almost as if the whole point was to score as fast as possible to leave Northwestern sufficient time to drive back down and win the game.

When Northwestern is lining up with 8 or 9 in the box, you have to throw the ball or be more creative in the run game. You can't make deep hand offs for slow developing sweeps. You have to have some misdirection and power blocking in your run scheme.

Petras has a lot of problems now. Sure he has a cannon but being a good QB is about being a passer and that he is not. Accuracy is terrible. Ability to adjust ball speed to the situation is non existent.

The online has been getting blown up way too much on run plays for little to no gain or losses. They look soft as F.

The D-line has been bad, Gholston looked better yesterday over at his previous side of the ball and Nixon has made a few plays. The others are soft as F. In both games the D-line will look like they have a play contained for little to no gain and the guy gets through. They are not getting off blocks and finishing plays. Benson was good at backer yesterday IMO but the rest have been yawn.

The tackling by the D in general is piss poor.

Exactly. Even on the last possession it was curious how pass-happy we were. We could have run the ball.

It was almost as if the whole point was to score as fast as possible to leave Northwestern sufficient time to drive back down and win the game.
This. When we got the interception we had the ball inside the 40. We should have been able to run the ball at least into field goal range.....

Reactions: Buffalo43
When Northwestern is lining up with 8 or 9 in the box, you have to throw the ball or be more creative in the run game. You can't make deep hand offs for slow developing sweeps. You have to have some misdirection and power blocking in your run scheme.
Bingo defense knows what’s coming and tees off

Petras has a lot of problems now. Sure he has a cannon but being a good QB is about being a passer and that he is not. Accuracy is terrible. Ability to adjust ball speed to the situation is non existent.

The online has been getting blown up way too much on run plays for little to no gain or losses. They look soft as F.

The D-line has been bad, Gholston looked better yesterday over at his previous side of the ball and Nixon has made a few plays. The others are soft as F. In both games the D-line will look like they have a play contained for little to no gain and the guy gets through. They are not getting off blocks and finishing plays. Benson was good at backer yesterday IMO but the rest have been yawn.

The tackling by the D in general is piss poor.
Ol has been creating holes in run game often enough in certain sets but when they run certain plays teams know what’s coming and load the box and nothing OL can do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT