ADVERTISEMENT

Why it’s unsurprising that Republicans are staying quiet after Trump’s ‘go back’ tweet

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Amber Phillips
July 15 at 10:11 AM
This has been updated with the latest news.

By now, it’s not a surprise that congressional Republicans are largely silent as President Trump attacks four American congresswomen in language that, outside the GOP, has been widely condemned as racist.

They’ve learned over the years that they have nothing to gain by speaking out against Trump, and plenty to lose — like their jobs.

Let’s go back to one of the first high-profile times that Trump used, in Republicans’ own words, racist language. Trump was the Republican nominee for president and was accusing a judge overseeing a lawsuit about Trump University of being biased because of the judge’s Hispanic heritage. At the time, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) called it “the textbook definition of a racist comment."

What happened to Ryan? Trump won the election, Republicans embraced him, and Ryan retired after two years rather than keep trying to play nice with Trump.

ADVERTISING
The next time Trump used language about race that shocked the nation was a year later, during deadly protests led by white supremacists in Charlottesville. A neo-Nazi supporter was recently convicted of murder for ramming a car into a group of peaceful protesters. Yet at the time of the attack, Trump said, “I think there is blame on both sides.”

Ryan said language like that was wrong but maintained he wasn’t going to do anything about it.

Former senator Bob Corker of Tennessee tried to. Once on a shortlist for a Trump Cabinet post, Corker decided to use his leverage as a known Trump ally to say this: “The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful."

Corker saw his popularity in Tennessee plummet. He is now retired.

Fast-forward to the 2018 midterm elections. It’s primary season, and some of the House’s most conservative Republicans are in danger of not even winning their primaries. Why? In the case of Rep. Martha Roby of Alabama, voters there remembered how she said she wouldn’t vote for Trump because of the way he bragged about sexually assaulting women in an “Access Hollywood” tape released in the final weeks of the presidential campaign.

She eventually won her primary. But another outspoken Republican critic of Trump wasn’t so lucky. Trump tweeted the day of South Carolina’s primary for Republican voters to knock out sitting congressman Mark Sanford. And they did.

“We’re playing with real fire in a reason-based republic,” Sanford told me shortly after losing his primary.

Mia Love, the lone black Republican in the House, lost her reelection in Utah in November after she criticized Trump for calling Haiti, where her family is from, one of several “shithole countries.”

“Mia Love gave me no love, and she lost,” Trump said.

Seeing a theme here? Republicans who have spoken out forcefully and memorably about Trump are no longer Republican officeholders. It is overly simplistic to say these Republicans retired because of their battles with Trump — though in Ryan’s case, a new book suggests that might be true. But all of them saw the writing on the wall: I can either speak out about Trump, or keep my job. In this Republican Party, you can’t do both.

By late Monday morning — a full day after Trump sent his tweet — there were a handful of Republican condemnations. The most notable was Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan for giving an unqualified criticism that what Trump said was “really uncalled for, very disappointing.” Rep. Chip Roy of Texas tweeted that Trump “was wrong to say any American citizen, whether in Congress or not, has any ‘home’ besides the U.S.” (Though in that same tweet he made sure to qualify how supportive he is of Trump’s immigration policies.) And Rep. Paul Mitchell of Michigan tweeted that “these comments are beneath leaders.”

Self-preservation is the default mode of any politician. Most of the congressional survivors of Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party went into that mode when Trump attacked a federal judge and again when he didn’t forcefully stand up for peaceful people protesting white supremacy. So when Trump attacks Democratic lawmakers, who are regular boogeymen on Fox News anyway, there’s no political incentive for Republicans to say anything about it.

That’s the way Trump has engineered the Republican Party, to be able to get away with whatever he wants to say. And it’s working.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-trumps-go-back-tweet/?utm_term=.bf3ba60e2ba2

Reactions: BGHAWK and ft254
I’m independent, lean Republican. I do not support Trump and the idiot things he says/tweets. I am pretty sure he didn’t think he would win the presidency in the first place and didn’t really want it. I think he wanted to shake things up. Then he got momentum and things got out of hand. All of a sudden, he’s POTUS. Now, I think he’s tried of the attacks (which many are deserved) from the left, from the media, Mueller, etc.. He’s currently going down swinging. I don’t think he wants to be president anymore. I think if he could, he’d slither back into his personal life and business life again. Unfortunately for everyone, he won.

At the height of the Viet Nam Protests in America
during the late 1960's........you could see plenty
of bumper stickers which said:" America, Love it
or Leave it"

The message was clear.....If you do not agree with
the policies of America, then you should be honest
and go elsewhere.

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.

Do you still order freedom fries.....blind Jingoism is a dangerous thing

By Amber Phillips

By now, it’s not a surprise that congressional Republicans are largely silent as President Trump attacks four American congresswomen in language that, outside the GOP, has been widely condemned as racist.

They’ve learned over the years that they have nothing to gain by speaking out against Trump, and plenty to lose — like their jobs.

Let’s go back to one of the first high-profile times that Trump used, in Republicans’ own words, racist language. Trump was the Republican nominee for president and was accusing a judge overseeing a lawsuit about Trump University of being biased because of the judge’s Hispanic heritage. At the time, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) called it “the textbook definition of a racist comment."

What happened to Ryan? Trump won the election, Republicans embraced him, and Ryan retired after two years rather than keep trying to play nice with Trump.

ADVERTISING
The next time Trump used language about race that shocked the nation was a year later, during deadly protests led by white supremacists in Charlottesville. A neo-Nazi supporter was recently convicted of murder for ramming a car into a group of peaceful protesters. Yet at the time of the attack, Trump said, “I think there is blame on both sides.”

Ryan said language like that was wrong but maintained he wasn’t going to do anything about it.

Former senator Bob Corker of Tennessee tried to. Once on a shortlist for a Trump Cabinet post, Corker decided to use his leverage as a known Trump ally to say this: “The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful."

Fast-forward to the 2018 midterm elections. It’s primary season, and some of the House’s most conservative Republicans are in danger of not even winning their primaries. Why? In the case of Rep. Martha Roby of Alabama, voters there remembered how she said she wouldn’t vote for Trump because of the way he bragged about sexually assaulting women in an “Access Hollywood” tape released in the final weeks of the presidential campaign.

She eventually won her primary. But another outspoken Republican critic of Trump wasn’t so lucky. Trump tweeted the day of South Carolina’s primary for Republican voters to knock out sitting congressman Mark Sanford. And they did.

“We’re playing with real fire in a reason-based republic,” Sanford told me shortly after losing his primary.

Mia Love, the lone black Republican in the House, lost her reelection in Utah in November after she criticized Trump for calling Haiti, where her family is from, one of several “shithole countries.”

Seeing a theme here? Republicans who have spoken out forcefully and memorably about Trump are no longer Republican officeholders. It is overly simplistic to say these Republicans retired because of their battles with Trump — though in Ryan’s case, a new book suggests that might be true. But all of them saw the writing on the wall: I can either speak out about Trump, or keep my job. In this Republican Party, you can’t do both.

By late Monday morning — a full day after Trump sent his tweet — there were a handful of Republican condemnations. The most notable was Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan for giving an unqualified criticism that what Trump said was “really uncalled for, very disappointing.” Rep. Chip Roy of Texas tweeted that Trump “was wrong to say any American citizen, whether in Congress or not, has any ‘home’ besides the U.S.” (Though in that same tweet he made sure to qualify how supportive he is of Trump’s immigration policies.) And Rep. Paul Mitchell of Michigan tweeted that “these comments are beneath leaders.”

Self-preservation is the default mode of any politician. Most of the congressional survivors of Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party went into that mode when Trump attacked a federal judge and again when he didn’t forcefully stand up for peaceful people protesting white supremacy. So when Trump attacks Democratic lawmakers, who are regular boogeymen on Fox News anyway, there’s no political incentive for Republicans to say anything about it.

That’s the way Trump has engineered the Republican Party, to be able to get away with whatever he wants to say. And it’s working.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-trumps-go-back-tweet/?utm_term=.bf3ba60e2ba2

More troll bait

I’m independent, lean Republican. I do not support Trump and the idiot things he says/tweets. I am pretty sure he didn’t think he would win the presidency in the first place and didn’t really want it. I think he wanted to shake things up. Then he got momentum and things got out of hand. All of a sudden, he’s POTUS. Now, I think he’s tried of the attacks (which many are deserved) from the left, from the media, Mueller, etc.. He’s currently going down swinging. I don’t think he wants to be president anymore. I think if he could, he’d slither back into his personal life and business life again. Unfortunately for everyone, he won.

Of course he wants to be president.

If he didn’t, I think we can all agree that the easier path for him would be to say he’s retiring and not running again. It would give him an opportunity to leave unbeaten, build a grand presidential library and proclaim he is the greatest of all time.

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.

Do you agree with that?

I thought dissension is a high form of patriotism.

If he didn’t, I think we can all agree that the easier path for him would be to say he’s retiring and not running again. It would give him an opportunity to leave unbeaten, build a grand presidential library and proclaim he is the greatest of all time.

Lol

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.
“A little rebellion now and then is a good thing. “ - Thomas Jefferson

Pelosi is one, smart politician. Those that underestimate her do it at their own risk.

What happens now is Republicans in D.C. will be forced to not say anything or they will rebuke the President. The list of prominent Republicans criticizing Trump is growing by the hour. Those that don't will be forced to explain why they didn't.

This latest Trump gaffe puts the GOP on the hot seat come reelection time. If they don't stand up to Turd, they'll be viewed as agreeing with him.

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.
Bullshit...

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.
And which side was right.....

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.

But which president told the American people or a few he didn't like criticizing him "love it or leave it"? I'm not surprised you don't see the difference. Also, that was 50 years ago.

He didn’t want to be president, he was marketing himself for more opportunities in TV. Then he won and I think Paul Ryan was right, he didn’t know anything about politics. Then his narcissism took over and this is what we’re left with...a racist divider who is only concerned about himself and doesn’t give a crap about helping people (other than his top 1% cronies)

And spineless Mitch McConnell is nowhere to be found these days. True to form, a spineless idiot.

Republicans actually believe this. That's why it is unsurprising they won't oppose a racist president.
Please tell me what was racist about his tweet? One could call it a variety of things, but unless people like you want to change the definition of racism, what is racist about it? Way too many Democrats use the go to term “racist” to describe everything and it doesn’t even fit the definition.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Please tell me what was racist about his tweet? One could call it a variety of things, but unless people like you want to change the definition of racism, what is racist about it? Way too many Democrats use the go to term “racist” to describe everything and it doesn’t even fit the definition.

Which is why most of America is becoming tone deaf to such accusations. Which is too bad because actual rascism exists, perpetuated by members of all races.

And let’s not forget that just a few short days ago AOC was leveling the rascism charge against Pelosi.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus

I leaned that way. The problem I'm having is Trump has not tried to walk his tweet back or clarify it. It's also suspect when three of the four women were born in the United States.

Reactions: cigaretteman

It’s a better story if he’s voted out, rather than choosing to not run. If he loses in 2020, he will now bow out quietly. I fully expect a scorched earth exit. This is about him and what he sees as his brand.

He literally told a group of minority women to go back to where they came from. It’s one of the original racist rants.

or Leave it"

and go elsewhere.

Which f course Lute, we Americans understand to be pure unadulterated bullshit. When people are confused or mad, they wrap themselves in their flag and/or their Bible. But certainly never the Constitution. When I disagree with the direction of my government, it is my duty and obligation as an American citizen to protest.

He already has 100 million plus war chest. Libs and never trumpers always go back to hope and change.

By Amber Phillips

ADVERTISING

was the writer aghast at the Omar racists anti Jewish troupes a few months Back?

Are you serious? He told a group of minority women who are US citizens, 3/4 of whom were born in the United States, to go back where they came from, insinuating that they are not American because of their heritage and the color of their skin.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, if you don’t think that is racist, why don’t you go tell a black person to go back to Africa and let us know how that works out for you.

You mean his tweets, not tweet.

From NY Times: "President Trump said on Sunday that a group of four minority congresswomen feuding with Speaker Nancy Pelosi should “go back” to the countries they came from rather than “loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States” how to run the government.

"Wrapped inside that insult, which was widely established as a racist trope, was a factually inaccurate claim: Only one of the lawmakers was born outside the country.

"Even though Mr. Trump has repeatedly refused to back down from stoking racial divisions, his willingness to deploy a lowest-rung slur — one commonly and crudely used to single out the perceived foreignness of nonwhite, non-Christian people — was largely regarded as beyond the pale."

If you've followed the white supremacist movement at all then you know that "go back to the country you came from" is commonly used to troll people of color. If you were unaware of that, now you aren't so you can't cry ignorance any more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT