Will there be a season?

• Yes

Votes: 103 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 98 36.4%
  • Yes but shortened

Votes: 68 25.3%

• Total voters
The "experts" have been all over the ball park. The above comment on the riots without social distancing and masks have not caused peaks to the problem. Get on with the season and bring in the spectators. Rely on the common sense of our citizens. Those with issues will not come. Others will do what they need to do for themselves - wear a mask, whatever. Public officials and media always portray a dark cloud whether its snow storm of 1-2 inches reported like its going to be at least a foot; or a hurricane requiring abandonment like a tough one here in Florida 2 years ago. It took people stuck in their cars two full days to get to Atlanta. Then the storm went through gong north to Atlanta where they had to hunker down until it passed there before they could return in another trek loaded with traffic..Move on, this virus will be around a long time and we will learn to live with it. Look at the ordinary flu - we have millions deal with it annually, thousands end up in hospitals and many die unfortunately - we deal with it.

Meanwhile around 1,800 die each day due to heart disease. Just to put things into perspective even though it’s counter to the fear machine that’s back in full force.
Just saw latest stats. The 3 day rolling average of DEATHS stats. April 18 there were 3666 or so. June 22, there were 500 or so. The Covid is really going gangbusters - NOT.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
I was somewhat optimistic two weeks ago that there would be a fall college football season but with recent developments I am becoming increasingly pessimistic. If colleges are forced to close down on campus classes, there will not be a fall season. I am beginning to think that the season should be pushed back until the spring in hopes of having a vaccine by then. The only other option I can see for Fall Football is playing games in empty stadiums -- even then I think college administrators would be very hesitant to put student-athletes at risk until a vaccine is readily available.

Death rates are falling dramatically. Globally only 2% of active cases are even being considered serious. Even in closed cases the overall death rate is down to single digits. I'm not saying it's going away, I'm saying it's normalizing. To think people are going to sit around and wait for a vaccine is absurd. The flu vaccine wasn't developed until over a decade after the Spanish Flu and some 80 years later it's still a crap shoot whether it works or not.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
If a college football player from a power conference team dies from the virus, or complications. I would say this precipitates a move to cancel the football season. Some genius needs to come up with an effective treatment, or nothing really changes from the events that started all this with basketball season.

If a college football player from a power conference team dies from the virus, or complications. I would say this precipitates a move to cancel the football season. Some genius needs to come up with an effective treatment, or nothing really changes from the events that started all this with basketball season.

Does it matter if that person has a preexisting condition? If you are stating just 1, that is a low number. I would bet we have had 1 die of some other contagious illness in the past. Not at Iowa that I can recall but nationwide.

Treatments take time. There will be antibody treatments by fall but on CNBC this morning stated there will only be enough to treat the sickest of the sick in the hospitals. That is to help prevent death. It all seems so easy right? Why can't they do this faster? Why so many trials? With everyone and all the money the world is throwing at this I am sure there will be a lot of great things coming out of it for the future of fighting viruses.

And if the season is cancelled and a player catches it and dies then what? Or are you assuming an entire year of lame remote learning classes again? The players that have it already didn’t get it via football.

Death rates are falling dramatically. Globally only 2% of active cases are even being considered serious. Even in closed cases the overall death rate is down to single digits. I'm not saying it's going away, I'm saying it's normalizing. To think people are going to sit around and wait for a vaccine is absurd. The flu vaccine wasn't developed until over a decade after the Spanish Flu and some 80 years later it's still a crap shoot whether it works or not.

Correct because of the way the flu viruses continually mutate they are moving targets. Unless someone can crack a means of developing something that is able to target better based on pieces that remain static in viruses then we have what we have. has to be tough to figure out knowing we have a lot of great minds working on this stuff. Why can't they figure out how to only kill cancer cells and not the good ones?

Reactions: GOHOX69
We are having a number of athletes nationwide contract this, so least see how they progress. How many get hospitalized, etc. Barta stated just having some cases would not just shut everything down.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Correct because of the way the flu viruses continually mutate they are moving targets. Unless someone can crack a means of developing something that is able to target better based on pieces that remain static in viruses then we have what we have. has to be tough to figure out knowing we have a lot of great minds working on this stuff. Why can't they figure out how to only kill cancer cells and not the good ones?
To answer your questions, we're trying in all disciplines. Thank you!

I hope so for Lords sake as I can’t fathom the thought of no football when the leaves on the trees start changing color and falling and the smell of food and a beers are a flowing tailgating in the best city in the untied states ... Iowa City ...

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
And if the season is cancelled and a player catches it and dies then what? Or are you assuming an entire year of lame remote learning classes again? The players that have it already didn’t get it via football.

"And if the season is cancelled and a player catches it and dies then what?"

Then that player would be dead. Maybe some impaired logic going on with you. Trump guy?

"Or are you assuming an entire year of lame remote learning classes again? The players that have it already didn’t get it via football."

What does that have to do with anything. So if players don't catch it playing football, that somehow changes.. them. .having it?

****n ppl.

"And if the season is cancelled and a player catches it and dies then what?"
Then that player would be dead. Maybe some impaired logic going on with you. Trump guy?

"Or are you assuming an entire year of lame remote learning classes again? The players that have it already didn’t get it via football."

What does that have to do with anything. So if players don't catch it playing football, that somehow changes.. them. .having it?

****n ppl.
So the liberal colleges are not to blame for colleges welcoming students back?

share with the group. Explain it to me. Don’t be shy. Please connect trump to all the left leaning institutions opening up.

I think if there is a season, it should just be a 9 game big ten season with an asterisks. Unfortunately we're going to see a lot of people on the bench week in and week out when they contract it and can't play.
Well I don't think you'll see them on the bench, but I get your point.....

Too much money involved to cancel totally
Option 1 play fall with limited fans
Option 2 play Spring( Begin March 2020 season) and fall (begin Oct 2021 season)
Option 2 assumes vaccine available by end of year and NFL follows suit. Draft combine etc moved to summer.

Too much money involved to cancel totally
Option 1 play fall with limited fans
Option 2 play Spring( Begin March 2020 season) and fall (begin Oct 2021 season)
Option 2 assumes vaccine available by end of year and NFL follows suit. Draft combine etc moved to summer.
nobody cared about the money involved when they shut the entire economy off for two or three months

football is now a political movement. the game is secondary to the social justice , now. too bad, it's gone. the game is gone.

Sports have been political since the days that they started getting eyeballs on them in mass. I’m sure that they (sports) will miss you, but I haven’t read anything that indicates you like the Iowa Hawkeyes, so I won’t be shedding tears. Be well!!

Just saw latest stats. The 3 day rolling average of DEATHS stats. April 18 there were 3666 or so. June 22, there were 500 or so. The Covid is really going gangbusters - NOT.

The yesterday and today we had the lowest number of Covid deaths in the US since late March. It’s weird that the media ignored this statistic, it’s almost like they have a political agenda they’re trying to further or something.

Reactions: unclesammy
The yesterday and today we had the lowest number of Covid deaths in the US since late March. It’s weird that the media ignored this statistic, it’s almost like they have a political agenda they’re trying to further or something.

I’m curious, do you feel like “the media” included things that you read and watch? You literally just referenced the media while degrading it. Hard to decipher what you are talking about.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
Not sure why you're replying to me and I can't quite make out all of your word salad, but ok?? Duh, it's virus and yeah it spreads...quickly. Look at what it's done in just a short amount of time, and that's with a lot of the world shut down. I agree we have to get back to some normalcy. I'm always interested in how people suggest to protect the "vulneable". How would you do it? Actually, never mind. Since you seen to mock wearing a mask, I probably don't care. A mask takes literally less than 5 seconds to put on. It's the least we could do, but some people can't even do that.

I’m curious, do you feel like “the media” included things that you read and watch? You literally just referenced the media while degrading it. Hard to decipher what you are talking about.

I didn’t reference the media, unless you consider the John Hopkins website “media”. That’s where I find the stats like everyone else.

Reactions: minuteman762
Sports have been political since the days that they started getting eyeballs on them in mass. I’m sure that they (sports) will miss you, but I haven’t read anything that indicates you like the Iowa Hawkeyes, so I won’t be shedding tears. Be well!!
oh I certainly do not like the IHOP hawks. the "iowa hawkeye occupied protest" hawks. no thanks

I didn’t reference the media, unless you consider the John Hopkins website “media”. That’s where I find the stats like everyone else.

It’s absolutely media. The internet being used to broadcast their research is part of the media.
It’s even controversial media because many disagree with their findings and believe deaths and hospitalizations are wrongly attributed.

Again, I don’t understand what you consider to be “media”. I’m using the English language definition from Merriam Webster that states: the system and organizations of communication through which information is spread to a large number of people

Pretty damn stupid of NY's Governor to have COVID patients sent into nursing homes wasn't it?

this continues to be an uninformed statement with no basis in reality. You’re not even attempting to understand (my apologies for the big words). Do us all a favor and go back to getting worried about that approaching migrant caravan

Reactions: mariner67
this continues to be an uninformed statement with no basis in reality. You’re not even attempting to understand (my apologies for the big words). Do us all a favor and go back to getting worried about that approaching migrant caravan

Yeah well we will see when the lawsuits are done. Unfortunately for Cuomo two of the people killed by this were Janice Dean's in laws because they were in home that was taking in COVID patients because Cuomo ordered it. Look it up dimwit. No basis in reality my ass.

ABC news .....................................

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ap-count-4300-virus-patients-ny-nursing-homes-70825470

or this .............

https://www.propublica.org/article/...-to-nursing-homes-then-he-risked-adding-to-it

but derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............its not true.

Yeah well we will see when the lawsuits are done. Unfortunately for Cuomo two of the people killed by this were Janice Dean's in laws because they were in home that was taking in COVID patients because Cuomo ordered it. Look it up dimwit. No basis in reality my ass.

ABC news .....................................

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ap-count-4300-virus-patients-ny-nursing-homes-70825470

or this .............

https://www.propublica.org/article/...-to-nursing-homes-then-he-risked-adding-to-it

but derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............its not true.

the article you provided even mentioned ICU patients in the hallways. Somehow you fail to recognize this as being problematic (big word again). Shit hit the fan and there were no other places to send patients until temporary hospitals were brought online. You know who dies if the hospital is full? Everyone needing urgent care, not just COVID patients.

It’s absolutely media. The internet being used to broadcast their research is part of the media.
It’s even controversial media because many disagree with their findings and believe deaths and hospitalizations are wrongly attributed.

Again, I don’t understand what you consider to be “media”. I’m using the English language definition from Merriam Webster that states: the system and organizations of communication through which information is spread to a large number of people

Okay, so a deer crossing sign next to the road is media then. If that’s the case, then yes I absolutely referenced the media.

Yes. Even this platform that you are using is a form of media. I feel like this is progress!!

I think what he's referencing is that the huge majority of people in the US aren't going to John Hopkins site. If you go to Fox or CNN or MSNBC or any of the main networks, or any of the major newspapers, zero is said about lowest number of deaths in a good long while. Now that testing is rampant and everywhere, all we're hearing is about record number of cases. Isn't the fact that deaths are not increasing while the number of positive cases goes up a good thing? By my pea brain it means it's less deadly.

If politically and from a will perspective, if the public and schools have the attitude that schools can't open or sports can't be played unless "no new cases" then might as well pack up right now, because that isn't happening. The public has been so scarred by this, that the attitude of the public is really what is being fought now. It's been said ad nauseum here, but for those 25 and under, you are much more likely to die from the flu, a car wreck or any number of things than COVID. It doesn't mean that COVID isn't real and isn't dangerous. But our approach to society being open or not and how we manage this isn't being based in reality right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT