ADVERTISEMENT

Wimbledon

Yeah, this seems like a safe thread for all the previous admin fan boys today.

Reactions: Torg
Was it Jennifer Capriotti or Monica Seles who had an orgasm moan on every return volley?

Anna Kournikova is still my all time favorite 😍

anna-kournikova-during-anniversary-party-for-light-and-caramel-at-the-picture-id110196451

Tennis is a dying sport in the US. Courts are being converted to pickleball everywhere and are packed while the remaining tennis courts sit idle. It's been 16 years since Agassi retired and 20 for Sampras. No Americans = no interest anymore...
This is true. You and I probably remember tennis courts in Iowa city in the 80s that were packed and had waiting lists. Nowadays, brand new courts just rot. Kind of sad. Hell even Kurt Vonnegut played. You are thousand percent correct. FYI, the talent and I use that term losely in high school tennis is laughable. It's not tennis but something that might resemble it.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
This is true. You and I probably remember tennis courts in Iowa city in the 80s that were packed and had waiting lists. Nowadays, brand new courts just rot. Kind of sad. Hell even Kurt Vonnegut played. You are thousand percent correct. FYI, the talent and I use that term losely in high school tennis is laughable. It's not tennis but something that might resemble it.
Yeah its really unfortunate. My high school was too small to even have a team, but my friends and I played a lot all through school. Now, my 16 year old plays on his high school team and it's hard getting enough boys to play to make a team.

My son was varsity #2 this year as a sophomore and got waxed all season by the #2s from the bigger schools. He won 2 matches and competed in another otherwise it was 0-10 or 1-10 almost every match.

Reactions: GOHOX69
It’s well past time for Serena to retire. Greatest of all time but it’s over.

I used to beat it back to Bruce Nagle, son of Iowa football coach Ray Nagle. He was state champ I think back then. He was pidgeon toed something terrible but never hindered him on the court. I couldn’t serve well enough to compete...

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Yeah its really unfortunate. My high school was too small to even have a team, but my friends and I played a lot all through school. Now, my 16 year old plays on his high school team and it's hard getting enough boys to play to make a team.

My son was varsity #2 this year as a sophomore and got waxed all season by the #2s from the bigger schools. He won 2 matches and competed in another otherwise it was 0-10 or 1-10 almost every match.

Tennis is still pretty healthy here in Atlanta, but there can be some depth-issues, talent-wise.

My son's school has a really good tennis tradition (girls team has won 20 state titles since '95 and the boys have won 14 in that same time-span). He was in 8th grade and played JV singles (ineligible for varsity play) this past season so I watched a lot of his matches as well as a bunch of girls and boys varsity matches.

I was surprised how little depth there was on the boys team......wasn't quite as much of an issue with the girls. They (the boys) had three "good" singles players and two guys that were decent at doubles. There was no shortage of players on the team, but most weren't very good. The coach has already told my son that he'll be starting in doubles next season, which is kind of strange considering he's never actually played a doubles match. And he's not exactly Roger Federer.

The girls team has a couple of ringers and a pretty good pipeline of talent. A girl in my son's grade could easily be a highly ranked national player if she could put a little more time into it. Unfortunately for the tennis team, she's even better at basketball (scholarship offers from GT and OU already as a rising 9th grader). She'll make an easy transition into that lineup as a #2 or #3 singles player.....an upgrade of the graduated senior she'll be replacing. The girls team is legit, while the boys do it through smoke and mirrors.

The teams are moving up two divisions this next season (from 4A to 6A). My guess is that there's going to be a lot fewer titles in the future. The 6A champion this year had 5 kids with a UTR of 9.0 or better and another 4 with a UTR better than 8........it's like a division II college team. I think we'll be exposed when we have to play them. The girls should fare a little better, but they won't be winning as many titles as they have been.

I love watching Wimbledon and the French early rounds.....great tournaments for early-risers like me.

Tennis is still pretty healthy here in Atlanta, but there can be some depth-issues, talent-wise.

My son's school has a really good tennis tradition (girls team has won 20 state titles since '95 and the boys have won 14 in that same time-span). He was in 8th grade and played JV singles (ineligible for varsity play) this past season so I watched a lot of his matches as well as a bunch of girls and boys varsity matches.

I was surprised how little depth there was on the boys team......wasn't quite as much of an issue with the girls. They (the boys) had three "good" singles players and two guys that were decent at doubles. There was no shortage of players on the team, but most weren't very good. The coach has already told my son that he'll be starting in doubles next season, which is kind of strange considering he's never actually played a doubles match. And he's not exactly Roger Federer.

The girls team has a couple of ringers and a pretty good pipeline of talent. A girl in my son's grade could easily be a highly ranked national player if she could put a little more time into it. Unfortunately for the tennis team, she's even better at basketball (scholarship offers from GT and OU already as a rising 9th grader). She'll make an easy transition into that lineup as a #2 or #3 singles player.....an upgrade of the graduated senior she'll be replacing. The girls team is legit, while the boys do it through smoke and mirrors.

The teams are moving up two divisions this next season (from 4A to 6A). My guess is that there's going to be a lot fewer titles in the future. The 6A champion this year had 5 kids with a UTR of 9.0 or better and another 4 with a UTR better than 8........it's like a division II college team. I think we'll be exposed when we have to play them. The girls should fare a little better, but they won't be winning as many titles as they have been.

I love watching Wimbledon and the French early rounds.....great tournaments for early-risers like me.
This is pretty much true wherever you go. 3-5 high school teams in every area have the majority of players. There’s also a huge difference in what you described from a 4A school to a 6A school.

Tennis is a dying sport in the US. Courts are being converted to pickleball everywhere and are packed while the remaining tennis courts sit idle. It's been 16 years since Agassi retired and 20 for Sampras. No Americans = no interest anymore...
Lots of US talent, it's just on the women's side. Which means a lot of you don't watch it.

I've never played on grass, but have been to Wimbledon twice. It's pretty awesome, and I'm not even a tennis fan. Saw Venus and Serena win the doubles title on center court.

They have a ticket turn in booth where people who leave early turn in their tix, then you can go pay a small fee and go sit in their seats. Keeps it full for TV.

Isner beats Murray

suck it Brits!
Goddammit I'm an idiot! I'm behind and I should know better than to open this thread!!! Lol oh well, at least Isner won. This crowd is getting on my nerves. Lol

I've never played on grass, but have been to Wimbledon twice. It's pretty awesome, and I'm not even a tennis fan. Saw Venus and Serena win the doubles title on center court.

They have a ticket turn in booth where people who leave early turn in their tix, then you can go pay a small fee and go sit in their seats. Keeps it full for TV.
That's pretty smart. I noticed how many people in the crowd seem very old. I bet there is some turnover in a 5 hour match.

Reactions: thewop
Women’s tennis is more enjoyable for me to watch. Not only from a physical appreciation standpoint, but most high level men’s singles matches just devolve into a serving competition with no rallies longer than one or two strokes.
This isn’t even close to true. You haven’t watched tennis in 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT