ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Head Coaches Puppets for Alvarez......

DEREKoh2

HR MVP
Jun 2, 2018
I don't buy that any of the last HC's at Wisconsin have had control of this program. Evidence:

Bret Bielema: 29-34 outside of Madison. (Arkansas)
Gary Andersen: 37-54 outside of Madison. (Southern Utah, Utah St. and OSU)
Paul Chryst: 19-19 outside of Madison. (Pittsburgh)

Alvarez will even come out and coach bowl games when there is a vacancy. Alvarez is a control freak, and this is his team. Without Alvarez, I think this program collapses under it's own weight.

Reactions: Hawkdome
I don't buy that any of the last HC's at Wisconsin have had control of this program. Evidence:

Bret Bielema: 29-34 outside of Madison. (Arkansas)
Gary Andersen: 37-54 outside of Madison. (Southern Utah, Utah St. and OSU)
Paul Chryst: 19-19 outside of Madison. (Pittsburgh)

Alvarez will even come out and coach bowl games when there is a vacancy. Alvarez is a control freak, and this is his team. Without Alvarez, I think this program collapses under it's own weight.
If it ain't broke....

Wisconsin has been better with him as AD than as coach. No losing seasons, more than half the seasons have 10 or more wins and most have ended the year ranked.

I worked for BA as a GA for a summer. To call “BA a control freak” is like calling the "Grand Canyon" a hole in the ground.

At one of HF retirement gathering, I heard him talking about how after he turned around the Wisconsin program that “ he stopped recruiting the type of kids that help him turn the program around”. “Biggest coaching mistake he ever made”.

KF had 3 years where Iowa recruited kids that where long on talent but just weren't a good culture fit, resulting is some really down years.

HF, BA and KF all learned this lesson the hard way but BA will not allow Wisconsin program to make that same mistake again.

BTW, I believe that Paul Chryst is the perfect coach for Wisconsin/BA. He is a good person that really cares about his players, he isn't concerned about who gets credit and he is a really strong game day coach.

BA is more of a GM than a AD when it comes to Wisconsin football and it is working well. I really wish he would retire....

Reactions: DEREKoh2
I know Barry personally, He is NOT a control freak so poster is incorrect. I sat down with him last fall and chatted up WI and Iowa FB. Barry has full faith in Paul Chryst. Chryst runs the program period. Barry was worried he wouldn't get Chryst signed and locked in fast enough. Barry and Bret B are the closest of friends even though they went through a cool down time when Bret left. Bret wanted more pay to asst coaches and the chance to build his own legacy. Barry understood that in time. They talk weekly. Barry coached the bowl games because he felt his tie to the program was a better fit then bringing in an asst coach whom might not get the perminate position. This is what the team was told.

I'd say so. Compare his success at Wisconsin to Hayden's at Iowa. It's not a knock on Hayden. I just think Alvarez accomplished more. He won three Rose Bowls!

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is you are wrong.
64-61-3 was BA’s big ten record.
96-61-5 was HF’s big ten record.
HF was 5-2 vs BA head to head.

I worked for BA as a GA for a summer....BA is more of a GM than a AD when it comes to Wisconsin football and it is working well. I really wish he would retire....
Be careful what you wish for. ;) The Emperor has a succession plan in place.

LOL, I'm sure you do. The BA I worked for was an A personality who preached "always look forward".

I just hope his replacement is not as knowledgable about managing a football program.:)

I dont buy that OP

I don't either.

Chryst I believe is a Wisconsin native and graduate. Yes, Barry built a great foundation and is the driver behind maintaining it. But Chryst...if there ever is a "perfect fit" for UW, much like Fitz at NW...it's him.

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking UW is going to fall anytime soon under his watch. Now, Barry retiring/leaving, that's a different story. Until then though, Barry hired The Perfect UW Guy (which Bertie Boy and Anderson certainly were not by comparison).

Remember when we marveled at that Pitt home game I believe in 2015, Narduzzi's first year? How physically brutal that game was?

Guess who built that roster?

Reactions: Carlton
Everyone has an opinion, and mine is you are wrong.
64-61-3 was BA’s big ten record.
96-61-5 was HF’s big ten record.
HF was 5-2 vs BA head to head.

Hayden was definitely better in the Big Ten. But, what was the the ultimate result? Barry got it done on the big stage. Hayden did not.

Paul Chryst is not a good speaker and has the blandest persona I’ve seen in a coach. He’ll run that program into the ground at some point with his recruiting.

Paul Chryst is not a good speaker and has the blandest persona I’ve seen in a coach. He’ll run that program into the ground at some point with his recruiting.

Personally, I like Chryst. He's a big ole Wiscy boy. Nice guy. Very complementary of opponents and his own players. Former QB. A perfect fit for the Bads.

You’re right about his public speaking skill but the recruits and their parents love his style. I think he’s put a pretty nice class together again this year.

You’re right about his public speaking skill but the recruits and their parents love his style. I think he’s put a pretty nice class together again this year.

Wisconsin’s recent success has more to do with that than Chryst’s style. I do realize he’s had a few good classes. However when he does get into the gravel I believe he’s going into the ditch if u know what I mean

Alvarez has proven that a lot coaches can coach winning teams. I would take him as my AD in a heartbeat. Hayden fry always said back in the 80s that wisc. Was a sleeping gaint.
What a nice post. I'm really poor at writing but this takes the cake. Do you ever read your posts after you post them. A 7th grader could spell better than this. "fry --- wisc. --- gaint" Your-a very intel agent pooster...
One more thing. Change your name from Hawkdome to Hawkdumb:p
Ok, I'm sorry for this ahead of time.

I know Barry personally, He is NOT a control freak so poster is incorrect. I sat down with him last fall and chatted up WI and Iowa FB. Barry has full faith in Paul Chryst. Chryst runs the program period. Barry was worried he wouldn't get Chryst signed and locked in fast enough. Barry and Bret B are the closest of friends even though they went through a cool down time when Bret left. Bret wanted more pay to asst coaches and the chance to build his own legacy. Barry understood that in time. They talk weekly. Barry coached the bowl games because he felt his tie to the program was a better fit then bringing in an asst coach whom might not get the perminate position. This is what the team was told.

Your post is a good example of why making assumptions about situations without inside knowledge is foolish. I remember all the talk when Bielema left Wisconsin about how he left because be wanted to be a part of the almighty SEC. That may well have been true somewhat, but as you've shown, there were other things going on as well. Thanks!
You’re one of those nutty insufferable ones. Thank goodness for the ignore function

Indeed. Thank goodness!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT