ADVERTISEMENT

With or Without Commercials?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
The video says Netflix will show 4-5 minutes of ads per hour with minimal repeat ads. That's twice the Peacock load, but sounds similar to Hulu and FreeVee - and is, of course, noticeably less obnoxious than things like CW and especially regular commercial channels (but those you may be able to record to skip the ads).

The chart at the link shows the ad-vs-free prices for many services.

The differences between ad and no-ad are interesting. Some, like Netflix and Discovery* seem to want you to stick with ad-free, because there cost difference is only $3. Several others, like HBO and Peacock have a harder-to-decide $5 difference. Whereas Hulu's price difference of $6 seems to say "we'd rather have you on our ad-supported tier."

The couple I have (for free now) on ad tiers, I'd say it depends on what you're mostly watching. Peacock, for example, will front load commercials before movies and be uninterrupted, but for TV shows they come up for a short time now and then. Paramount+ TV shows are almost unwatchable with the ads, trying to watch an old sitcom or even new stuff like Beavis and Butthead, it's every five minutes it seems. With movies they go uninterrupted, too, IIRC.

The couple I have (for free now) on ad tiers, I'd say it depends on what you're mostly watching. Peacock, for example, will front load commercials before movies and be uninterrupted, but for TV shows they come up for a short time now and then. Paramount+ TV shows are almost unwatchable with the ads, trying to watch an old sitcom or even new stuff like Beavis and Butthead, it's every five minutes it seems. With movies they go uninterrupted, too, IIRC.
Thanks for the warning on Paramount+.

Peacock may still be offering a year for $20.

I've recently started watching stuff on Peacock and they have some excellent shows. I strongly recommend these 2, especially for those who like espionage and mysteries.

The Undeclared War

"Set in 2024 in the run-up to a British general election, "The Undeclared War" tracks a leading team of analysts buried in the heart of GCHQ (the UK's version of the NSA), secretly working to ward off a cyber-attack on the country's electoral system. When a routine stress test of Internet infrastructure goes awry, 21-year-old GCHQ intern Saara Parvin suddenly finds herself operating on the invisible frontier of high-stakes cyber warfare"​

Vigil

"The mysterious disappearance of a Scottish fishing trawler and a death on-board a Trident nuclear submarine bring the police into conflict with the Navy and British security services. DCI Amy Silva leads an investigation on land and at sea into a conspiracy that threatens the very heart of Britain's nuclear deterrent."​

With Peacock's light commercial load, you barely have time to get another beer.

If given the option I will always pay for no ads.
Depends on the price. I hate them, as most of us probably do, but am OK if they are mainly using 15 and 30 second ad breaks.

And when Hulu offered me their buck a month for a year deal, I jumped on it, ads and all. Doesn't keep me from bitching about the ads, but then I remind myself that it's practically free.

Ditto for the actually free ad-supported services like Freevee and Roku TV and Tubi and Plex and Pluto....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT