ADVERTISEMENT

Ad-Supported Video Streaming Services

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Most of the major streaming services now offer a lower-priced ad-supported option in addition to their traditional, more expensive ad-free option. Plus there are a bunch of ad-supported free channels.

I assume most of us hate commercials. But sometimes, when I flip around to find a show I want to watch, I find that it's available on several ad-supported platforms.

The important questions, it seems to me, are

1. Which services inflict the fewest ads; and

2. Which services have the best content?

A little googling came up with this test. It's a couple of years old, but still interesting:

Service - minutes:seconds of advertising time in a 44 minute episode
  1. Tubi - 2:51
  2. Peacock - 4:12
  3. IMDB - 5:41
  4. Plex - 6:40
  5. VUDU - 7:08
  6. Crackle - 8:07
  7. Roku - 8:28 (test performed by KyloRenegade16)
  8. Pluto - 12:27
  9. The CW - 12:34

Unfortunately, those numbers may not hold up today.

The paid ad-supported tiers from the likes of Hulu, Netflix and Max have been adding more commercials, according to this more recent article.

I still find it so weird that the two primary drivers from network TV to streaming services is that you do not have to watch ads and cost. And now once people got used to streaming services, they’re becoming full of ads: unless you pay cable prices (most ppl have multiple streaming services).

So, essentially, we are right back where we started, we’re just giving our money to different people now.

I still find it so weird that the two primary drivers from network TV to streaming services is that you do not have to watch ads and cost. And now once people got used to streaming services, they’re becoming full of ads: unless you pay cable prices (most ppl have multiple streaming services).

So, essentially, we are right back where we started, we’re just giving our money to different people now.
When I first cut the cord, I saved $65 a month. That covered several streaming services with money left over for hookers and blow. Moreover, with rare exceptions, I got to watch MUCH BETTER SHOWS.

The main thing missing was a way to watch NCAA Basketball. But during basketball season, I just sign up for Sling and I'm good to go.

That was a few Olympics ago, so I'm sure the "savings" have gone up a lot for cutting the cord. Still seems like the smart move to me.

I gave Netflix a rest for nearly a year and came back when they announced their new tiers.

I tried the ad-supported tier first. Lasted about 20 minutes before I upgraded to the lowest ad-free tier. Not because the ad load was too bad but, as it turns out, not all Netflix content is available on the ad-supported tier.

The supposed drawback of the lowest ad-free tier is that it's lower resolution. I rarely notice or care.

I have ad-supported Hulu for the moment because they had a special. Pretty annoying ad load, but I've gotten really good at hitting the mute button. And, to their credit, you get all their content.

I get ad-supported Peacock free from Xfinity. Its ad load seems very light most of the time. The last movie I watched there were maybe 3 minutes of ads to begin and none the entire rest of the movie. That's very easy to live with. Plus, when the Olympics roll around again, I'll happily pay the 5 bucks to ditch commercials for a month.

I like Peacock because of the EPL and their coverage of cycling and swimming.

I suspect in the long run people will pay for the streamers that cater to their particular interests and there will be less general purpose streaming. That will all to to free ad supported like the old TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT