ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA pay disparity claim

My point being, (and mainly directed at the clowns like Guy9 and GOHOX, because they HATE the womens game), is most people can't see the forest for the trees. Everyone knows that the NBA subsidizes the W. Thats not news. BUT the NBA is stale and stagnent from a growth perspective. Is there REALLY a market out there for new NBA fans? For the most part I'd say the answer is NO. What the league, and many of the major companies have seen by the last year and a half in the womens game, is there just may be a new market in the womens game. Vastly increased TV viewership, (the womens game out drew the mens championship for the first time ever), ticket sales, and merch. There is alot of big money being put behind this right now because big sports companies like NIKE, and the league see this as a new source of revenue and growth. Millions of people have shown interest in the womens game. Certainly Clark had a lot to do with this but she is not alone. While people tuned in to see her, they saw good athletic basketball being played. Frankly there's a lot more to good basketball then dunking, and in the truest sense the game would be better played if they went back to the 70's and eliminating dunking. Just IMHO of course). Honestly I don't really think that the other STARS being pushed out front right now, (Brink, Cardosa, Reese as example) are really any better then the ladies who were already in the game previously. The difference is the current media exposure they are receiving. Big money WANTS this to happen as a new growth market. The population is way over 50% female, and its no joke to say many control the purse strings, (to pardon a pun) when it comes to entertainment and clothing, merch purchases. This will not be pushed aside because a bunch of men don't want to watch women play sports, or stupid shit like they play with a smaller ball.
Nobody cares about these players/teams outside of Caitlin and straight women aren't watching the L enough to make $.

My point being, (and mainly directed at the clowns like Guy9 and GOHOX, because they HATE the womens game), is most people can't see the forest for the trees. Everyone knows that the NBA subsidizes the W. Thats not news. BUT the NBA is stale and stagnent from a growth perspective. Is there REALLY a market out there for new NBA fans? For the most part I'd say the answer is NO. What the league, and many of the major companies have seen by the last year and a half in the womens game, is there just may be a new market in the womens game. Vastly increased TV viewership, (the womens game out drew the mens championship for the first time ever), ticket sales, and merch. There is alot of big money being put behind this right now because big sports companies like NIKE, and the league see this as a new source of revenue and growth. Millions of people have shown interest in the womens game. Certainly Clark had a lot to do with this but she is not alone. While people tuned in to see her, they saw good athletic basketball being played. Frankly there's a lot more to good basketball then dunking, and in the truest sense the game would be better played if they went back to the 70's and eliminating dunking. Just IMHO of course). Honestly I don't really think that the other STARS being pushed out front right now, (Brink, Cardosa, Reese as example) are really any better then the ladies who were already in the game previously. The difference is the current media exposure they are receiving. Big money WANTS this to happen as a new growth market. The population is way over 50% female, and its no jole to say many control the purse strings, (to pardon a pun) when it comes to entertainment and clothing, merch purchases. This will not be pushed aside because a bunch of men don't want to watch women play sports, or stupid shit like they play with a smaller ball.

Agree on everything you said about women's game. There's a chance for growth there.

On the other hand, the NBA is about to sign a new TV deal worth billions. They have talking expansion (to Vegas for one) for a while now. They are going to be OK as well. :)

Mens soccer (world cup) generated 6 billion, womens generated 570million. Women got a 20% cut, men got a 3% cut. Hmmmm, the women get 7x the rate of men from their revenue.

NBA subsidized the WNBA to start, currently the WNBA generates about 200 million (vs 10billion for men). It is simply the fact that people aren't\weren't interested in women's athletics. That could change this year in WNBA with the latest rookie class, and then it is up to the PLAYERS and LEAGUE to come to agreements on pay vs revenue.

I am all for women getting paid more, when they generate the revenue to do so. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't fair, you have to draw people to your event and if you don't that isn't the mens fault.
When you say men’s soccer, what exactly are you referring to? Who received the 6 billion? The US federation?

I’m not disagreeing with you about soccer, just trying to get better information.

Nobody cares about these players/teams outside of Caitlin and straight women aren't watching the L enough to make $.
So the league is picking up WAY more games, (and not just Clarks) BUT nobody is going to watch. I suspect when they are watching Clark they will see some other really good players they had been overlooking before. And your comment is that only gays and Clark fans watched as part of the 19 million who watched the championship, (a higher total then the mens game)?

No one watches now 😉

Yup nobody watched the WNBA last year. Nobody.

Aces-Michelob-ULTRA-Arena-getty.ashx

Yup nobody watched the WNBA last year. Nobody.

Aces-Michelob-ULTRA-Arena-getty.ashx
Oohh, one example.

Caitlin's first game had what, 6,500 attendees?
Congrats to the NBA for paying for charter flights for the women, or did they all of the sudden have an influx of cash?

No, they did not.

So the league is picking up WAY more games, (and not just Clarks) BUT nobody is going to watch. I suspect when they are watching Clark they will see some other really good players they had been overlooking before. And your comment is that only gays and Clark fans watched as part of the 19 million who watched the championship, (a higher total then the mens game)?
Yes, no one cares about anyone the L except for Caitlin fans and grubbers.

Obviously it is extremely important to you.

The NBA obviously cares, since they are part owners.

And yes the NBA has kicked in some cash over the years to keep everything running smooth. There are over a hundred players in the NBA that makes more per year than what the NBA puts into the WNBA. You all make it sound like this league is on life support.

Reactions: jaxhawk06
When you say men’s soccer, what exactly are you referring to? Who received the 6 billion? The US federation?

I’m not disagreeing with you about soccer, just trying to get better information.
The world cup\FIFA (all teams) generated 6 billion, women's world cup (all teams) generated 500+million.

I am all for whatever sport\gender getting the pay they deserve BASED upon the revenue they generate. By simply saying "we demand equal pay" and not putting the butts in the seats or eyes on the television, how do you justify it/

The world cup\FIFA (all teams) generated 6 billion, women's world cup (all teams) generated 500+million.

I am all for whatever sport\gender getting the pay they deserve BASED upon the revenue they generate. By simply saying "we demand equal pay" and not putting the butts in the seats or eyes on the television, how do you justify it/
Ty for that information, but I was thinking more in terms of what the US men’s and women’s teams generated in revenue, not that from the overall sport worldwide.

Ty for that information, but I was thinking more in terms of what the US men’s and women’s teams generated in revenue, not that from the overall sport worldwide.
US men vs women - it is more detailed then just pay. But at the end of the day, how can someone ask for more money than they generate? If we both stand outside the local tax shop and hold spinny signs to get people to stop in for business, you get 100 people to come in, and I only get 2...how do you justify splitting the pay equally?

Last edited:
Look, we get it, YOU don't care. Well you and Guy9, or whatever. You honestly don't think that the NBA, and companies like Nike don't see some revenue potential with growth? As I said the NBA has almost zero growth potential. The next few years will see if the W can grow or not, but there are some companies who think they just might...Whether you think so or not is not relevant, since YOU don't care....

Reactions: aurorabimmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT