ADVERTISEMENT

Woman shot through door in Florida with her child next to her confronting a neighbor over an issue involving the kids. Shooter not charged

Maybe you should try reading some of the coverage then.

WaPo:

Owens’s children “were playing in a field next to an Ocala apartment complex” Friday “when an unidentified 58-year-old white woman reportedly began yelling at them to get off her land and calling them racial slurs,” according to Crump’s statement.

Local ABC affiliate:

Before the confrontation, the shooter had been yelling racial slurs at the children, according to a statement from civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who is representing Owens' family - and represented Trayvon Martin's family in 2012. The sheriff's office hasn't confirmed there were slurs uttered or said whether race was a factor in the shooting.

Associated Press:

The sheriff said Owens was shot moments after going to Lorincz’s apartment after she yelled had at Owens’ children as they played in a grassy area outside nearby. He also said Lorincz had thrown a pair of skates that hit one of the children.

Before the confrontation, Lorincz had been yelling racial slurs at the children, according to a statement from civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who is representing Owens’ family. He also represented Trayvon Martin’s family in 2012, when the Black teenager was killed in a case that drew worldwide attention to the state’s stand your ground law.

Post 75 and neighbors own words helps too.

WaPo:

Owens’s children “were playing in a field next to an Ocala apartment complex” Friday “when an unidentified 58-year-old white woman reportedly began yelling at them to get off her land and calling them racial slurs,” according to Crump’s statement.

Local ABC affiliate:

Before the confrontation, the shooter had been yelling racial slurs at the children, according to a statement from civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who is representing Owens' family - and represented Trayvon Martin's family in 2012. The sheriff's office hasn't confirmed there were slurs uttered or said whether race was a factor in the shooting.

Associated Press:

The sheriff said Owens was shot moments after going to Lorincz’s apartment after she yelled had at Owens’ children as they played in a grassy area outside nearby. He also said Lorincz had thrown a pair of skates that hit one of the children.

Before the confrontation, Lorincz had been yelling racial slurs at the children, according to a statement from civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who is representing Owens’ family. He also represented Trayvon Martin’s family in 2012, when the Black teenager was killed in a case that drew worldwide attention to the state’s stand your ground law.

The Independent:

A Black mother of four was shot dead through a closed door in Florida after a dispute with a white neighbour who had earlier allegedly bombarded her children with “racial slurs”.

The New York Times

It said Ms. Owens’s children had been playing in a field next to an apartment complex, when the woman yelled at them to get off her property and used racial slurs. The children left, forgetting an iPad. When one of them returned to retrieve it, the woman threw it at them, hitting the child, it said.

I saw the headline and tweet and then googled some Florida paper to get their account. Didn't mention it.

At any rate, still not clear it was a racial thing.

Da fuq? 😂
You have one data point -- that she called the kids racial slurs -- that doesn't prove that this was an incident based on race. That just raises the possibility.

If you listen to the thing Chis linked, you'll see that the neighbor said she was crazy in general and also called the kids the R word, and told one of them they'd be raped if they didn't do X.

If said neighbor is spewing all manner of insults and nastiness, appears to unstable, acts this way to multiple people across multiple races, it's really hard to say this is simply a race thing. (now, we'd need more information to nail all this down)

Critical thinking skills, torbs.

Wow she threw things at kids. Sounds like a real peach.

Again someone needs to explain to me why this is manslaughter and not murder 2.

The respective skin colors of the shooter and victim and Florida. Too many people in this state haven’t gotten over the outcome of the Civil War and any progress afforded to non-whites in the years since.

Yes, you lack them. You are so desperate to dismiss race as an issue in this case that you are ignoring all the prior police calls and complaints. You are a one-trick pony.
What torbs, about what I said above, don't you agree with?

I clearly referenced items said about this person by a neighbor, which included references to the police reports. (which don't speak to the race issue one way or the other, necessarily)

Clearly my response to you can be interpreted as questioning whether race was the basis or even a significant factor in this outcome given the information we have. My complaint, obviously, is that people jump to conclusions without having sufficient information. This isn't hard.

Clearly, my take doesn't preclude the possibility that race was a major factor.

Again, critical thinking skills.

What torbs, about what I said above, don't you agree with?

I clearly referenced items said about this person by a neighbor, which included references to the police reports. (which don't speak to the race issue one way or the other, necessarily)

Clearly my response to you can be interpreted as questioning whether race was the basis or even a significant factor in this outcome given the information we have.

Clearly, this take doesn't preclude the possibility that race was a major factor.

Again, critical thinking skills.
You eschew common sense.

Having worked for 25-plus years in media, I can assure you that race is brought into a story only after the reporter and editors vet the information they have and have a discussion on its relevance.

With multiple sources corroborating the story and the police report history that shows multiple calls regarding harassment, INCLUDING racial harassment, it is very obvious this is a major factor in the feud and, ultimately, the shooting.

You just don't want it to be so you try to make the "burden of proof" unachievably high, which, frankly is stupid and not "critical thinking" in the least. Critical thinking is taking the plentiful and available information and reaching a reasoned, common sense conclusion. You, on the other hand, are stretching credibility to its outer limits in order to fulfill your specific agenda - something you do so often, in so many threads - it's become comical.

Public outrage works. Despicable it took that, again.
Lol. “It took public outrage.”

Or…maybe the police needed a couple of days to collect evidence, review all the facts of the case, and determine whether or not criminal charges were merited before arresting her.

You eschew common sense.

Having worked for 25-plus years in media, I can assure you that race is brought into a story only after the reporter and editors vet the information they have and have a discussion on its relevance.

Well, that's not all media in present day. I understand where you're coming from, and that ought to be how media behaves, and I'm sure some media does, but in present day, especially on major media outlets -- CNN and the like -- you'll see lots of references to black and white without there being any substantive information that race played into an outcome.

They feature race where it needn't be featured because it gets attention. It makes money. That's what happens. We've seen major media bend towards sensationalism for the purpose of getting more attention in any number of domains, and race & society is no different. That as much as anything is why I point this stuff out. Media uses a sensitive topic in non-serious ways for profit.

With multiple sources corroborating the story and the police report history that shows multiple calls regarding harassment, INCLUDING racial harassment, it is very obvious this is a major factor in the feud and, ultimately, the shooting.

You just don't want it to be so you try to make the "burden of proof" unachievably high, which, frankly is stupid and not "critical thinking" in the least. Critical thinking is taking the plentiful and available information and reaching a reasoned, common sense conclusion. You, on the other hand, are stretching credibility to its outer limits in order to fulfill your specific agenda - something you do so often, in so many threads - it's become comical.

I'm not saying that this information shouldn't be included, I'm saying that all relevant information about the person should be included when assessing her motives and the nature of the incident.

Or…maybe the police needed a couple of days to collect evidence, review all the facts of the case, and determine whether or not criminal charges were merited before arresting her.
Viewing from afar, I'd say a little of Column A, a little of Column B. As is the case with many things.

I have been quite impressed with this sheriff's handling of a very sensitive issue. He has been transparent about how and why and what his agency is doing. That is good public service, even if the speed isn't acceptable to all. I'd rather them be deliberate and fair and thoughtful, which it seems like they've been, at least based on media reports.

Reactions: Rudedolph
I saw this on the news last night…is there really a debate that Florida’s stand your ground laws would protect this murderer?

She shot her through her own front door….that can’t be stand your ground…

I saw this on the news last night…is there really a debate that Florida’s stand your ground laws would protect this murderer?

She shot her through her own front door….that can’t be stand your ground…
She was arrested and it didn't apply. The law existing at all slows the process down on these cases, understandably.

You have one data point -- that she called the kids racial slurs -- that doesn't prove that this was an incident based on race. That just raises the possibility.

If you listen to the thing Chis linked, you'll see that the neighbor said she was crazy in general and also called the kids the R word, and told one of them they'd be raped if they didn't do X.

If said neighbor is spewing all manner of insults and nastiness, appears to unstable, acts this way to multiple people across multiple races, it's really hard to say this is simply a race thing. (now, we'd need more information to nail all this down)

Critical thinking skills, torbs.
Ok, mark.

Reactions: torbee
A lot of ridiculous comments in this thread. The Tradition, you must be NorthernHawkeye’s cousin.

Either the shooting was justified or it was not. If it wasn’t, the shooter should be arrested and charged with murder. Simple.

Are you capable of commenting in a thread without bringing my name into it?

You kind give off the creepy stalker vibe.

By the way, your second paragraph is spot on.

As is mandated by Florida law.

WaPo:

Local ABC affiliate:

Associated Press:

The Independent:

A Black mother of four was shot dead through a closed door in Florida after a dispute with a white neighbour who had earlier allegedly bombarded her children with “racial slurs”.

The New York Times

It said Ms. Owens’s children had been playing in a field next to an apartment complex, when the woman yelled at them to get off her property and used racial slurs. The children left, forgetting an iPad. When one of them returned to retrieve it, the woman threw it at them, hitting the child, it said.

Might be racial for sure, but every single line you posted is from Crump. 1,000 sources quoting one source is still just one source.

What are the pardon / commutation laws in Florida like? She seems like a martyr in the waiting for the far right and the NRA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT