ADVERTISEMENT

Woodbury v. Karnoski!

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
Couple of big galoot goons will be going at it if Gonzaga wins!

Hope Woody is filing his eye pokers!
wink.r191677.gif

I think White or Uthoff could handle the 4 against them just fine. We haven't done it much but Woody/Gabe could do it too.

Woodbury would do well to learn the kind of foot work Karnowski has.

That said I think Woody can defend him, and Karnowski gets into foul trouble quite often himself.

We may see some Gabe Woody together if White needs a blow and Gonzaga is going with both bigs.

Gonzaga hasn't played anyone who's as tall as they are.

I think this is a team we can really push the tempo on.

They are not good defensively and their bigs, even Wiltjer, are all slow footed.

Kenpom has Gonzaga as 6th in adjusted offensive efficiency, and 27th in defensive efficiency.

Iowa is 33 and and 41.

Gonzaga is fairly decent on defense, probably about the same as the Hawks who have played better the 2nd half of the year and have played better teams (44 vs 98th).

They are simply better on offense than us - the question is how well we match up to them and vice versa. Iowa can struggle against certain types of teams (slow down, big frontcourt, physical teams) but we match up well against some other teams. If we can get to the rim, rebound and get to the FT line our offense gets enough points for us to win. Our defense will slow them down, I just never know about our offensive matchups.

Against Davidson they were so small that not only could our bigs score inside and rebound, but Gesell could score inside. That won't be true against Gonzaga. We'll need Uthoff and Jok even more in that game - or to get our fast break going, which I do think would work.

Karnowski bothered by an eye injury this game. Seems more irritated than typical poke.

When Mt. Karno plays inspired, he's tough to stop.

No team has an answer for his 7'1" 300lb frame WHEN he stayed outta foul trouble which was rare.

Excited to see him match up vs a fellow 7-footer, albeit a more mobile one.

Karnowski hasn't played in awhile. In locker room now. Has a scratched cornea.

Never have I ever seen a team make so many off balance shots.

Can Iowa do that?!

Originally posted by baldwinzag:
Karnowski hasn't played in awhile. In locker room now. Has a scratched cornea.

Never have I ever seen a team make so many off balance shots.

Can Iowa do that?!
We can actually work for better shots, soooooo................

But hey again I want to thank you for making sure Gonzaga shoots poorly on Sunday.

Learn to pay basketball, question mark.. Are you serious, question mark. Or a troll, question mark. Period

We match up VERY well in this game. I don't think Gonzaga is overly happy being a 2 seed having to get paired against a team that presents the kind of challenges Iowa does. And we know Iowa has played a much more difficult schedule. I feel really good about this game.

OK, the HAWKS are just coming off one of, if not the best game of the year in all areas for IOWA. I've seen it way to often this year and the past several when the other team that shows up and plays like it did in the PSU game. If the HAWKS can string the type of game we saw last night together for another week they can do some damage. If not ...................................

Originally posted by gotaloadon:

OK, the HAWKS are just coming off one of, if not the best game of the year in all areas for IOWA. I've seen it way to often this year and the past several when the other team that shows up and plays like it did in the PSU game. If the HAWKS can string the type of game we saw last night together for another week they can do some damage. If not ...................................
this is the problem with fans like you.....try giving the opponent a little credit...there isn't 2 Iowa teams...there is one. ..you think they take the floor saying well tonite we're going to be the 'bad' Iowa team...

If games were "always" determined by who the better team is ...it wouldn't be much fun..would it?
Its all about match ups, how the game is called, making shots,,,"2" teams play ...1 wins...

Our team has had some great wins this year..and some tough losses.,,thats' college basketball.

It simply is not always under your control....play hard (which Iowa always does)...hopefully Gonzaga's bad team shows up.

Gonzaga is not that big

Karnowski is 7'1" and a load and Wiltjer and Sabonis are both 6'10" but after that, their next biggest player is 6'5". Iowa will be the biggest team they've played since Arizona, way back on 12/6 and they lost that one. Gonzaga has went from the "Little MidMajor that could" to the annual darlings of the tourney and everyone is just waiting for them to break through to the Final Four. I think they get a lot of unnecessary pub, being the original midmajor to go big time but they don't have the game to back up all of that fan support. Kinda like the Cubs annually. I predict that Iowa wins this one relatively easily. Just keep tabs on Pangos and Wiltjer. Easier said than done? We'll see.

Interesting game. Teams look a lot alike. Think Hawks have a good chance if they shoot well. Bulldogs are like the Hawks with better execution.

so sleeping when IA won 8 out of Ten BT games that was a fluke and there was no organization. or what about beating OSU twice was that a fluke?

IA has won 22 games this year and they won all those game by being unorganized or poorly coached?

I haven't watched all season but why don't we ever go woody-gabe-white-uthoff-pg (gessel or sapp)? Uthoff can shoot over any 2, as good as any outside shooter we have anway, and can defend. I understand white might struggle guarding a quick 3 in man but play that 2/3 zone and we should be ok no?

2222, I'm guessing from your last two posts directed at me that you do not grasp the difference between the absence of praise and the existence of unfair criticism.

No, Iowa did not win those games by being unorganized or poorly coached. Yes the Hawks are playing well down the stretch, particularly well Friday night. Yes, we have won 22 games, no mean feat.

However, you do know that Gonzaga is 32-2, right? Gonzaga leads the nation in FG %(.524), Iowa is 216th; 6th in APG vs. 55th; 10th in PPG vs. 120th; and 30 in RPG vs. 35th, 50 in points allowed vs. 120th. While they have a talented roster, its not like Gonzaga has UK or Duke talent. Over the course of the season the Bulldogs have done virtually everything better than the Hawks.

But the beauty of the NCAA is almost anyone can win any given game. We match up well with the Gonzaga. God knows I hope we win. But the failure to recognize how well Gonzaga executes game in and game out is just pure blind idolatry.

This post was edited on 3/21 11:16 PM by The Sleeping Dog

Originally posted by baldwinzag:
Karnowski bothered by an eye injury this game. Seems more irritated than typical poke.

When Mt. Karno plays inspired, he's tough to stop.

No team has an answer for his 7'1" 300lb frame WHEN he stayed outta foul trouble which was rare.

Excited to see him match up vs a fellow 7-footer, albeit a more mobile one.
Karnowski got a double-double against Arizona's elite frontcourt. He is very, very good.

Thanks for the revelation hawk-I-bob. Didn't realize the other team had anything to do with the way IOWA played.

I'll still take the one I watched against Davidson that came out playing loose and free. Knocking down some early shots that opened up their half court O. You know the one that was able to get out running after attacking the boards on the D end that led to some easy buckets to open up a nice lead and win the game going away. I'll take that team over the one that played tight and were physically out played, ok got Hammered most of the game, and out hustled and shot 26% against PSU in the BIG Ten tourney game. Just this type of fans preference is all. K?

This post was edited on 3/22 1:23 PM by gotaloadon

This post was edited on 3/22 1:26 PM by gotaloadon

Originally posted by badger-007:

Woodbury has to learn to play Basketball period.
Wrong, Mr. badger-007. Apparently you have let the bratwurst and cheese affect your judgement. Woodbury is an excellent defender, and a good passer with a high basketball IQ. He is capable of scoring as well. Go Hawks!

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
2222, I'm guessing from your last two posts directed at me that you do not grasp the difference between the absence of praise and the existence of unfair criticism.

No, Iowa did not win those games by being unorganized or poorly coached. Yes the Hawks are playing well down the stretch, particularly well Friday night. Yes, we have won 22 games, no mean feat.

However, you do know that Gonzaga is 32-2, right? Gonzaga leads the nation in FG %(.524), Iowa is 216th; 6th in APG vs. 55th; 10th in PPG vs. 120th; and 30 in RPG vs. 35th, 50 in points allowed vs. 120th. While they have a talented roster, its not like Gonzaga has UK or Duke talent. Over the course of the season the Bulldogs have done virtually everything better than the Hawks.

But the beauty of the NCAA is almost anyone can win any given game. We match up well with the Gonzaga. God knows I hope we win. But the failure to recognize how well Gonzaga executes game in and game out is just pure blind idolatry.

This post was edited on 3/21 11:16 PM by The Sleeping Dog
What would their numbers look like against a B1G schedule?

Karnowski outplayed Woodbury in the first half. So much more skilled. Great passer. Not even close.

Woodbury did set a couple nice screens. Otherwise not much.

This post was edited on 3/22 7:24 PM by pmknicks

Originally posted by pmknicks:
Karnoski outplayed Woodbury in the first half. So much more skilled. Great passer. Not even close.

Woodbury did set a couple nice screens. Otherwise not much.
Yup. Not even close.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who has to be seen in public and deal with Eddiehaskell in real life

Karnoski has better hops than Woody. He actually has touch around basket. Woody can just stand his ground and has no offense.

60 lbs gives the Zags center the edge as he just bulls his way around or thru Woody and Gabe, and he has a 80 lb edge on Gabe.

1st half just 3 fouls on Gonzaga the home cooking is in foul mode in favor of Gonzaga,

Actually I think Karnowski is also quicker and has better feet than Woodbury. Reffing seems pretty good to me. Just because fouls are not even does not automatically equate to home cooking.

Karnowski not playing much this half with Woodbury out.

Interesting.

Still a close game.

Anything can happen.

Remember when Georgia St came back 12 pts down with 2 mins remaining?!

Anything can happen.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:
Originally posted by badger-007:

Woodbury has to learn to play Basketball period.
Wrong, Mr. badger-007. Apparently you have let the bratwurst and cheese affect your judgement. Woodbury is an excellent defender, and a good passer with a high basketball IQ. He is capable of scoring as well. Go Hawks!
Delusion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT