ADVERTISEMENT

Woodpeckers in Iowa

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Woodpeckers are one of the most fascinating avians you can find in your backyard – and did you know that there are 7 species in Iowa?

There’s a good chance that if you have more than one woodpecker visiting you, you may actually be
playing host to a few different species!

Although the list below contains all the usual woodpeckers found in Iowa, it’s possible to find a vagrant species of woodpecker that’s not native to this particular state. If you do see a vagrant species, it should be considered an extremely rare sighting!

7 woodpecker species are found in Iowa, including the Northern Flicker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Red-headed Woodpeck, Pileated Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, and Hairy Woodpecker. Several of these woodpecker species are permanent residents, while others are much rarer and can be only spotted seasonally.

The following legend can be used for each woodpecker species map to determine what time of year you can see each woodpecker in your area.

https://wildyards.com/woodpeckers-in-iowa/

How to Attract Iowa Woodpeckers to Your Yard​

Want to see more woodpeckers in your backyard?

As you can see, there are more than a few wonderful woodpecker species to look out for across Iowa. Some may not flock to gardens and backyards in favor of forests and woodland reaches – however, there’s a chance a rare bird or two may make its way to you.

If you’re keen to start spotting woodpeckers in your yard, why not take a look at our guide on how to attract woodpeckers? That’ll give you the basics of what’s required to attract woodpeckers.

Then, we’d recommend reading our buyer’s guide on choosing the best woodpecker feeder. Setting up a woodpecker feeder or two is the best way to guarantee that woodpeckers will visit your yard. While you’re at it, do make sure to read our full guide on what to feed woodpeckers, too – as getting their diet right will make a lot of difference!

There are a bunch of other ways to attract woodpeckers such as getting a bird bath and planting native trees that woodpeckers love.

Reactions: jasonrann
Life hack - Put poison rat pellets in your tree and it will turn the woodpeckers guts into liquid ooze in only a couple minutes.

Life hack - Put poison rat pellets in your tree and it will turn the woodpeckers guts into liquid ooze in only a couple minutes.
Given the broad scope of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it is clear that woodpeckers are indeed protected in Iowa. This means that activities such as hunting, trapping, or disturbing these birds, their nests, or their eggs are prohibited without the appropriate permits or permissions.

animation woodpecker GIF

I live in NW Indiana. Last summer morning while eating breakfast and all of a sudden we started hearing knocking sounds. We went out the back door and sure enough a woodpecker was going to town on our wood siding. He saw us and flew away. I wish I had my phone at the time to take a picture. I wish I knew the species.

Woodpeckers are one of the most fascinating avians you can find in your backyard – and did you know that there are 7 species in Iowa?

There’s a good chance that if you have more than one woodpecker visiting you, you may actually be
playing host to a few different species!

Although the list below contains all the usual woodpeckers found in Iowa, it’s possible to find a vagrant species of woodpecker that’s not native to this particular state. If you do see a vagrant species, it should be considered an extremely rare sighting!

7 woodpecker species are found in Iowa, including the Northern Flicker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Red-headed Woodpeck, Pileated Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, and Hairy Woodpecker. Several of these woodpecker species are permanent residents, while others are much rarer and can be only spotted seasonally.

The following legend can be used for each woodpecker species map to determine what time of year you can see each woodpecker in your area.

https://wildyards.com/woodpeckers-in-iowa/

How to Attract Iowa Woodpeckers to Your Yard​

Want to see more woodpeckers in your backyard?

As you can see, there are more than a few wonderful woodpecker species to look out for across Iowa. Some may not flock to gardens and backyards in favor of forests and woodland reaches – however, there’s a chance a rare bird or two may make its way to you.

If you’re keen to start spotting woodpeckers in your yard, why not take a look at our guide on how to attract woodpeckers? That’ll give you the basics of what’s required to attract woodpeckers.

Then, we’d recommend reading our buyer’s guide on choosing the best woodpecker feeder. Setting up a woodpecker feeder or two is the best way to guarantee that woodpeckers will visit your yard. While you’re at it, do make sure to read our full guide on what to feed woodpeckers, too – as getting their diet right will make a lot of difference!

There are a bunch of other ways to attract woodpeckers such as getting a bird bath and planting native trees that woodpeckers love.
Ask your mom about mine…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT