ADVERTISEMENT

World Series memories

May 25, 2023
Random thoughts we were discussing at work today. What is the first World Series that you remember?

Mine is the 1979 Pirates vs. Orioles. I was 6 years old and was allowed to stay up late and watch with Dad. He was a Cardinals fan, and I'm a diehard Cubs fan, but we always watched baseball together, regardless of who was playing. (I know CSB).

Hug your parents if you still have them, and PLEASE no OP Mom jokes.

Reactions: SIXERS24
The Cardinals in the 64 series where Bob Gibson was the star. I wasn't a big baseball fan though my Dad was. But I joined others in my class in sneaking transistor radios to school and listening at lunch and/or afternoon recesses.

I have a very minimal recollection of the 1970 series (I was 7). Mostly I just remember getting home from school and watching the games - it was the last WS played all in the daytime.
I have more memory of the following year, when the Pirates beat the favored Orioles. I was a huge Clemente fan.

I was heartbroken when the Giants swept the Indians in ‘54....
I can remover a couple of Yankee/Dodger series ayear or two later...
I celebrated in ‘57 as the Milwaukee Braves put the Yanks away in 7.... and in ‘60, Maz hitting the walk-off vs. New York.

Reactions: Hawkbiz
1959 World Series. Dodgers beat the White Sox 4 games to 2.
I was 7 and in the second grade. I was and still am a Dodger fan.

77 - Reggie is my first recollection and the start of my lifelong disdain for the Yanks

79 - is pretty vivid still (We Are Family!) - loved Wille Stargill

80 - Tug McGraw, nuff said

85 - Dekinger!

86 - my all time fave - 16 years old, loved the young, coke fueled (not that I knew it at the time) Mets stars - Gooden, Straw, Carter, Hernandez, Lenny, etc. So bummed towards the end of game 6, thinking it was all over, then......

87 - Twins was great, even though not a Twinkie fan

88 - Gibson

93 - Joe Carter

Lost track of baseball as I got older and family/work starting in earnest.

I still pay attention this time of year to pennant races and the WS - a little moreso if the Mets are in the thick of it.....so not very often....

1969 Orioles-Mets. Vikings-Chiefs first Super Bowl I remember. Knicks-Lakers NBA Finals 1970
1969-70 first year of listening to Hawks on WHO radio. Jacksonville loss still hurts.

87 was the first i remember. Gladden hitting a slam in game 1.

The Cardinals in the 64 series where Bob Gibson was the star. I wasn't a big baseball fan though my Dad was. But I joined others in my class in sneaking transistor radios to school and listening at lunch and/or afternoon recesses.
I think this is the one for me as well. I couldn't tell you what year or who they played, but I do remember Bob Gibson putting on a pitching show. I wasn't a big baseball fan as a kid, but this is probably my earliest memory of big league baseball.

Not a Reds fan but the Big Red Machine is my first World Series memories. That lineup is underrated when people talk about all time great teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT