ADVERTISEMENT

‘Radical Realignment’ Plan Is Sure To Result In Disaster For Major League Baseball

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Major League Baseball is inching slowly towards a realignment that will destroy the foundation of the game and remove the American League and National League designation of a slew of teams.

This will likely take many years to implement, but it is the way Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred would like to take the game. The first tiny step toward this reality was taken when the owner of the Oakland A’s signed a binding agreement to purchase land in Las Vegas this week for the purpose of moving the A’s from Northern California to the gambling mecca.

If all goes smoothly for the A’s organization – and there are still multiple hurdles to clear – the team will have a new 35,000-seat stadium in Las Vegas that will open in 2027.

The A’s have basically been ordered to resolve their stadium situation by Major League Baseball and so have the Tampa Bay Rays. Once both of those things happen, expansion to 32 teams is likely to happen from the current level of 30 teams.

Some of the cities that will be considered for expansion include Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal and Vancouver.

Former major league executive Jim Bowden, currently a baseball analyst for The Athletic, outlined a plan earlier this year for Major League Baseball to navigate a “radical realignment” based on geography once the A’s and Rays solidify their new stadium plans and the expansion is completed.

PROMOTED

Bowden identified a conversation he had with Manfred at last year’s World Series confirming the expansion plans. The former executive said MLB needs to realign so it can “maximize revenue” and ease the travel burden that Major League teams face.

Bowden’s trial balloon included the end of the American League and the National League. Instead, he proposed the Eastern Conference and Western Conference.

Here’s how the new alignment would look:

MORE FOR YOU

Apple Leak Details All-New iPhone 15 Pro, Pro Max Features​

Today’s ‘Quordle’ Answers And Clues For Saturday, April 22​

WWE SmackDown Results: Winners And Grades On April 21, 2023​

Eastern Conference​

East Division​

Forbes Daily: Our best stories, exclusive reporting and Forbes perspectives on the day’s top news, plus the inside scoop on the world's most important entrepreneurs.

You may opt out any time. By signing up for this newsletter, you agree to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

Boston Red Sox

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

North Division​

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Guardians

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

Mid-Atlantic Division​

Baltimore Orioles

Charlotte expansion team

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

Southeast Division​

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

Nashville expansion team

Tampa Bay Rays

Western Conference​

Midwest Division​

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Southwest Division​

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

St. Louis Cardinals

Texas Rangers

Pacific Coast Division​

Colorado Rockies

Oakland/Las Vegas A’s

Seattle Mariners

San Francisco Giants

West Division​

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

Bowden points out with great excitement and fervor how wonderful the new alignment would be for the sport, using the Eastern Conference East Division as the “heavyweight” division and the fairness of reducing travel for the Seattle Mariners in the Pacific Coast Division.

These ideas are almost certainly in lock step with what Manfred would like to see happen to the sport, but it is the most short-sighted and destructive plan the sport could come up with.

The foundation of baseball has been the identity of the two leagues. Putting the New York Yankees and the Mets in the same division is foolish. Taking the Mets out of the National League and having them compete with the Yankees and Red Sox on a regular basis would further weaken the rivalries that have been watered down by interleague competition.

The same holds for the Cubs and White Sox in the same division. Chicago’s teams are split by north side and south side, and the disdain for the Cubs by White Sox fans is real, while Cubs fans tend to pay no attention to the White Sox. Homogenizing the rivalry helps nobody.

Look at some of the other divisions and discover that the St. Louis Cardinals are in the Southwest Division and no longer have the Cubs as a division rival. The Dodgers and Giants have been in lock step with each other since the early part of the 20th century – but no longer.

What about the All-Star Game and the World Series? The All-Star Game may no longer be the midsummer showcase between the two leagues, but there was a time that it mattered to the players and the fans. An All-Star Game between the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference sounds like a sham of an exhibition similar to what is done in the NBA or the ridiculous touch football Pro Bowl show put on by the NFL.

The sport’s most glorious event has been the World Series. American League champion vs. National League champion. Instead, fans will get Eastern Conference winner vs. Western Conference. Who would possibly care? Instead of a World Series between the Yankees and Cincinnati Reds, you could get an Eastern-Western showdown between the Miami Marlins and San Diego Padres.

Getting rid of Major League Baseball’s greatest tradition – American League vs. National League – would serve no purpose other than reducing the travel bill. The history of the great sport will unravel and it will render Major League Baseball to a spot of insignificance on the sporting menu.

Reactions: LuteHawk
I generally support that plan although I don't think expansion teams in both Charlotte and Nashville would be likely. Give one of the two expansion sites to either Nashville or Charlotte not both Then the second expansion site assuming the A's remain in the Oakland/Sacramento region should be preferably be Lost Wages or a darkhorse such as SLC . The south and intermountain west need more representation if for no other reason than less onerous travel for the western teams.Now on to these new rules in baseball. I cannot stress enough that I am a simp for MLB. There is nothing that it could do that would make me not love it. That being said I am having a positive reaction tp pretty much all of the new rules with one notable exception and that could easily be fixed and that is the automatic runner in extra innings. While I don't like it, in the regular season I can tolerate it. But It should not be used in the post season. Thanks for your time.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I hate to sound like an old man yelling at clouds - but this would be an unmitigated disaster. The only thing I see this as "guaranteeing" is each region gets a playoff team while sacrificing a handful of 100 or so year rivalries in the process.

I mean, really? Reds/Guardians/Tigers/Blue Jays? Pirates/Orioles/Nationals/"Charlotte"? You're kidding, right? Yeah, I'm sure ticket buyers in (for example) Pittsburgh are gonna haul out the credit card for 39 games versus Baltimore/DC/Charlotte and 3 each against the half the other 28 teams for your 81 home games.

I mean, they're now playing every team in MLB every year, correct? I assume that would be the plan still.

Cubs and Cardinals, 3 games each year. Giants and Dodgers, 3 games each year. And you'd have to alternate years to where your home fans would get to see Cubs-Cards once EVERY TWO YEARS. Woah, pinch me. Makes me tingly all over knowing MLB just traded 3 home series every year for one every two years - but hey, I get 3 home series against the Royals every year! BRILLIANT!

Absolute insanity.

Reactions: JWolf74
There is a lot I don't like about this plan, but ....

I don't think everything is "just fine" in baseball. Some changes need to occur.

Yes. Take it back to the game in 1973

Ban stats. At least in game. No more machines.

Make it a game by and for humans.

Unlikely. It will go the other way...and will continue its decline.

Nobody will care that much. It’s sitting outside watching a game and drinking beer.

Much to do about nothing. They don’t play 162 division games. Those that have a boner for certain matchups will still get some.

I hate to sound like an old man yelling at clouds - but this would be an unmitigated disaster. The only thing I see this as "guaranteeing" is each region gets a playoff team while sacrificing a handful of 100 or so year rivalries in the process.

I mean, really? Reds/Guardians/Tigers/Blue Jays? Pirates/Orioles/Nationals/"Charlotte"? You're kidding, right? Yeah, I'm sure ticket buyers in (for example) Pittsburgh are gonna haul out the credit card for 39 games versus Baltimore/DC/Charlotte and 3 each against the half the other 28 teams for your 81 home games.

I mean, they're now playing every team in MLB every year, correct? I assume that would be the plan still.

Cubs and Cardinals, 3 games each year. Giants and Dodgers, 3 games each year. And you'd have to alternate years to where your home fans would get to see Cubs-Cards once EVERY TWO YEARS. Woah, pinch me. Makes me tingly all over knowing MLB just traded 3 home series every year for one every two years - but hey, I get 3 home series against the Royals every year! BRILLIANT!

Absolute insanity.

I’ll beat your old man yelling at the clouds

Baseball was better before inter league play, night games, whatever this balanced schedule is, and free agency

Baseball was better before inter league play, night games, whatever this balanced schedule is, and free agency
I'm with you on everythingbut the night games..like watching the late night west coast games sometimes and Sunday night baseball on ESPN. Hate inter league play...It was alright when it began ..now there are too many games and it watered down the novelty of it.

Well, they've already polluted the game with that deplorable American League designated hitter, so they might as well destroy of all of its history as well, I guess.

Reactions: EagleHawk
How ****ing hard is it to get rid of blackouts and grow your fans by letting them watch their favorite team?!?! For ****s sake. Lol

Reactions: nelly02 and CAhawki
How ****ing hard is it to get rid of blackouts and grow your fans by letting them watch their favorite team?!?! For ****s sake. Lol

Ask the regional telecast provider which pays for the exclusive broadcast rights within the market. They possess that contractual right. There is nothing MLB nor Rob Manfred can do to unilaterally inform the RSN that "sorry that you paid for the exclusive broadcast rights, we're now taking that from you." The exclusivity drives the higher broadcast rights fees which ultimately lead to higher profits for the club and higher salaries for the players.

While folks want to point the finger at the Commissioner, I've yet to hear a single player say "yeah, we're willing to have our salaries cut so that fans have the right to watch local games on whatever device they wish to use."

MLB is slowly dying... poor leadership for the last 2 decades. And, its a joke they want to explore expansion.

Reactions: LuteHawk
There are two different issues in MLB. One is expansion.
Currently, there are 30 MLB teams and there are not enough
quality players on those existing teams. Expansion is a bad
idea which will only water down the product on the field.

The other issue is realignment plan. To dissolve the National
and American Leagues as we know them is a bad idea. It is
a tradition which has always made MLB popular with the fans.
The World Series and the All-Star games have established
themselves with the current rivalry of the AL & NL.

Outside the box idea might be to have teams have two home stadiums.

Tampa Bat plays 41 home games in Tampa and 41 home games in Montreal. Less sometimes is more.

Reactions: hawkdave007
oh.. i dont doubt the rev is up... i doubt its popularity in general, and that I feel is due to its leadership... Now, so long as they are printing money, there is every reason for the leadership to stay on board. But when the playoff are blacked out or on their trash MLB network on a tuesday afternoon... they can't bitch about it.

I don’t understand why the American/national league is sacrosanct. No other league has this issue.

Baseballs big problem imo has been that it’s held too long onto it’s traditions, not realizing that it was turning off younger fans.

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT