ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take a cruise right now?

Would YOU take a cruise right now?

• No. In fairness, I would have never done so before either though.

Votes: 87 56.5%
  • No. I usually would be willing/like to take a cruise, but not now - no way!

Votes: 39 25.3%
  • I'm not sure. I might. I might not.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I would/will still take a cruise right now.

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
Love cruises, best way to see multiple places in week and have everything taken care of. Normally am always up for a cruise, but not now. Will wait for this to all die down before taking another. Caribbean cruises are the best!

We are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise in May. We got an email from Norwegian telling us that we can cancel and get a full refund. The airlines haven't made a similar offer. We have two months before we go so there's time to re-evaluate later.

*Always having the drink package means that I'm sterilizing myself constantly from the inside out all day every day. :D

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise Sunday afternoon with 7 other couples. So far, only symptoms is my body trying to purge all the alcohol and food. Stopped in Coco, Roatan and Cozumel (Costa Maya was cancelled due to it being too windy, allegedly)

I returned from a cruise in early February (before all of the hysteria) … If our cruise was in the next few weeks I'm pretty confident I'd reschedule … I hate being sick in general and so I wouldn't do anything to welcome the potential of catching something a little harsher … Not sure how flexible the cruise lines are as normally people book months in advance …

we're scheduled for one of those (Bucharest to Budapest) this Fall, Tom....hopefully things will have cleared up by then.....

Will probably just be starting to come back around next fall and winter...

Just return from a cruise in the Caribbean yesterday. Didn’t see a single person worried about it and even inquired about upgrading room when we boarded as we suspected a lot of people would’ve bailed due to COVID-19. Twas a packed house.

everything went fine. Hand sanitizers everywhere. I only have a minor dry cough and slight fever ;)

we're scheduled for one of those (Bucharest to Budapest) this Fall, Tom....hopefully things will have cleared up by then.....
Also hopefully the river levels are perfect for you! We went from Budapest to Nuremberg last June. Loved it. Pretty much a perfect vacation. If you stop in Regensburg definitely get some beer and sausages from Wurstkuche (right on the river and it will get pointed out)...it's been there since the 1100s.

I know some people who have had one scheduled for quite a while that leaves in just a few weeks. They got notification that they would get paid $300 if they do not cancel their tickets. That just happened to be the same day that the US government urged Americans not to go on cruise ships.

They are still strongly considering it. Their argument was the place in Mexico and Jamaica they are visiting has not had any reports of the virus. I pointed out that you’re not afraid of the places you’re visiting… It’s the other thousands of people on the boat. They seem to think they would be some of the only ones in that would not be an issue. I’ve been pointed out their biggest fear should probably be the staff and crew on the ship.
My wife and I have a 2 week Panama Canal cruise in May with Princess that starts in California and ends in Ft. Lauderdale. Princess has offered the same $300 in ship credits to not cancel. We have not canceled/postponed it yet, but I don't see any way we go in May. I am in good health, but she has immune deficiency issues. We also have another cruise planned in Sept. (eastern Caribbean). Hopefully, the virus will have run its course by then.

Reactions: ping72
My wife and I have a 2 week Panama Canal cruise in May with Princess that starts in California and ends in Ft. Lauderdale. Princess has offered the same $300 in ship credits to not cancel. We have not canceled/postponed it yet, but I don't see any way we go in May. I am in good health, but she has immune deficiency issues. We also have another cruise planned in Sept. (eastern Caribbean). Hopefully, the virus will have run its course by then.

My silver lining in this crisis is that you may find out how to take a good vacation. Ts&Ps.

Just because Coronavirus has the headlines now? Cruise ships are the petry dishes of society.

We are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise in May. We got an email from Norwegian telling us that we can cancel and get a full refund. The airlines haven't made a similar offer. We have two months before we go so there's time to re-evaluate later.

*Always having the drink package means that I'm sterilizing myself constantly from the inside out all day every day. :D

If you avoid eating the buffet and stick to either the “restaurants” that cook for you or the main sit down dining hall, wore nitrile or rubber gloves and either wore a mask or tried to remember not to touch your face when in public then you’d probably be fine. And I’m not worried about myself, in my age bracket the death rate is only about 0.4% or so which is four times the flu but not “scary”. What I would be worried about is a bunch of old people NOT following those rules contaminating each other like its orgy night at The Villages and then I get stuck on the ship for three weeks.

Probably not as bad as airplanes where people are breathing recycled air the entire time.

Yep my wife and I were planning on doing a 7 day flight to Maui and Kauai plus 4 days in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka roughly around my birthday, but we have nixed that for the time being. Maybe in late fall now.

I have heard a few people within my greater circle of acquaintances, and, I think, at least two people on HROT, say that they would/will still take a cruise right now. To me that's nucking futs...but to each his own. What say you guys?
Naw. Going to cool places with thousands of other people does not appeal to me at all.
I wanna go when the weather is crazy bad so nobody else is there.

I'm not normally a cruise fan but would consider it if the ship was half full. Not because I'm worried about the virus but I just prefer things to be less crowded. You hear about the rare instance that a ship is held but not all of the ships that return without incident. Put me in a balcony cabin and lots of ports to explore and I would be all in. I am also self employed working from home so if I had to self quarantine at home it wouldn't be a big deal. I have actually been looking at Alaskan cruises and Med cruises to see if I could get a smoking deal. Alaska has some great deals in May but I need to see if youngest will still be in season for baseball. Prices are not cheap for the Mediterranean cruises yet. Well, not cheap enough. It would still be $8000-10,000 for 4 of us to go in a balcony cabin and that is crazy with all of this going on.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I leave Monday for a quick 4-night cruise to the Bahamas. My daughter’s spring break at FSU. Looking forward to it. Cruise number 20-something for me.

I'm just bummed all the music festivals are being cancelled. That would be the one place I would risk it.

c8c5e252-64cb-4b19-81b2-b604f2ee5fa7-m.jpg

We're thinking about booking some right now. Real cheap and can be booked out in to the future. Never done one before, but considering booking two for future dates while the price seems right.

Then they declare bankruptcy due to lost business and no profits. Kiss that vaca money bye bye.

I'm trying to figure out how low of an IQ you must have to consider a cruise at this time. Insanity at best. Oh by the way, they are now saying they think Covid is airborn for at least 30 minutes.

My company announced today, any employee who goes on a cruise must work from home for 14 days upon returning, or take additional vacation or unpaid leave, but banned from the office. Some people were sent home who had returned from cruises over the past week or so.

You could offer me a 100K and I would say no. I like my life. You could have offered me half that amount prior to Trump flu and I would have told you the same. Norovirus, etc. was out there on cruises before this. Forget all of that. If I want to be near water, I don't need to be on a 3000 person ship where I can't actually get in the water. Cruises are simply the dumbest thing I can imagine for a vacation

That's not a very optimistic outlook there sir. ^^ :) :)

A cruise is not my idea of a vacation, although I have "taken one for the team" and went on one because my wife wanted to, etc. But I would truly go nuts if I were to be one that was then quarantined and I couldn't get off the boat for several days...YIKES! I might jump in and swim for it. :)
I’ve never been a fan of cruises either. Been to too many great places that were ruined once the cruise ships docked at port.

Nope. Just don't see myself being at sea for 3 weeks. Buy one, get two free just isn't enough incentive.

We just ended up canceling because FSU wanted to quarantine any spring breakers that visited certain countries or went on cruises. Not gonna put my daughter through that. Our cruise credit is good until the end of 2021 so we’ll regroup and move another direction.

Glad to hear that. If they end up screwing you on the credit; Call Saul

Only on The Bang Boat where my chances of catching an STD are as high as catching CoronaVirus.

You could offer me a 100K and I would say no. I like my life. You could have offered me half that amount prior to Trump flu and I would have told you the same. Norovirus, etc. was out there on cruises before this. Forget all of that. If I want to be near water, I don't need to be on a 3000 person ship where I can't actually get in the water. Cruises are simply the dumbest thing I can imagine for a vacation
That is my thinking. Given our schedule, there really isn't a lot of time to be taking trips for vacation, so I want to make the most of them. When it's cold in Iowa, I want to go somewhere hot with a nice beach. I want to have my feet in the sand and be able to wander where I want to, and drink and eat what I want to, get in the water, and hear the waves crash on the shoreline. I just don't get paying money and using up free time being cramped in a floating hotel with no beach.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
That is my thinking. Given our schedule, there really isn't a lot of time to be taking trips for vacation, so I want to make the most of them. When it's cold in Iowa, I want to go somewhere hot with a nice beach. I want to have my feet in the sand and be able to wander where I want to, and drink and eat what I want to, get in the water, and hear the waves crash on the shoreline. I just don't get paying money and using up free time being cramped in a floating hotel with no beach.

Bingo

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tenacious E
There has been talk of the Trump administration banning citizens from going on cruises until this is behind us. That might be the first thing that I fully support him on because then it won't be my fault when we can't go.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
My 16 y/o said we should get the virus if it shows up here so we have the antibodies to fight it and travel on cheap this summer. I’m not confident in my health for that move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT