ADVERTISEMENT

WR Vines said on hawkcentral that WR Kaden Wetjen is one of fastest hawks

There is no question Kaden is very fast. Not just fast compared to his earlier competition but objectively fast. I was in the camp of playing him more last season. He's not big, probably not much of a blocker but he can get behind the defense.

Kaden is getting a lot of work this spring, and a lot of coaching attention-per my Iowa City peeps. They are also not high on Bostick ever staying healthy-very skinny. Anderson back at full speed come summer. If Bostick doesn't come back Kaden is the 4th receiver.

The portal may change all of that.

How’d that work in many games last year. How does that work in the NFL with teams with bad OLs?
We'll never know it worked for Iowa last year. At no point was the run game ever committed to. Other than closing out a win late in the 4th, it could be counted on one hand how many times all season Iowa actually handed off three times in a row.

The line should be a little better this season. But even if it's poor, the way to help out an offensive line is to hand it off a few times in a row. Let them continue to fire out and hit somebody, rather than having to catch a charging defense every other play.

Even for good offensive lines it can be hard to get a push early in a game. But as the wall continues to get pounded at, it starts to crack. There is a cumulative benefit that emerges later in games when the run is committed to.

The run must be established. I don't care if it takes 3 tackles, 3 tight ends, wildcat, or QB sneaks every play. Whatever it takes.

If a line isn't good enough to run the ball, how the hell is it supposed to hold up in the passing game? If the goal is to be productive on offense, establishing the run is the priority. If the offense is so bad that the goal becomes limiting turnovers and running clock, so as not to jeopardize the defense's chance to control the game, then the run game is also a must. Iowa pretty much proved last season that games can be won with almost zero offense. To me, that wasn't that surprising. But that fact that they did it without a run game was unbelievable. An offense virtually unable to impact field position, combined with the clock stopping every other play for an incomplete pass made the performance of the defense and punter that much more amazing.

Similar defense and punter will remain this season. Let's hope the offense and offensive line can be a little better. Either way the run must be committed to.

Simple, stubborn, and angry has worked for 150 years. That's why I put a period after each word of "run the ball". No ifs or buts. No this or that. Just RUN. THE. DAMN. BALL. PERIOD.

Vines said he also had a great 70 yard td in practice. So I hope we at least use him to stretch the field and draw safeties deep.

Good to know we have some speed there.
I care less about speed than the ability to consistently get open and catch the ball.

Our passing game has suffered because we have (some) guys who demonstrate way too many lapses in their fundamentals.

Last edited:
We'll never know it worked for Iowa last year. At no point was the run game ever committed to. Other than closing out a win late in the 4th, it could be counted on one hand how many times all season Iowa actually handed off three times in a row.

The line should be a little better this season. But even if it's poor, the way to help out an offensive line is to hand it off a few times in a row. Let them continue to fire out and hit somebody, rather than having to catch a charging defense every other play.

Even for good offensive lines it can be hard to get a push early in a game. But as the wall continues to get pounded at, it starts to crack. There is a cumulative benefit that emerges later in games when the run is committed to.

The run must be established. I don't care if it takes 3 tackles, 3 tight ends, wildcat, or QB sneaks every play. Whatever it takes.

If a line isn't good enough to run the ball, how the hell is it supposed to hold up in the passing game? If the goal is to be productive on offense, establishing the run is the priority. If the offense is so bad that the goal becomes limiting turnovers and running clock, so as not to jeopardize the defense's chance to control the game, then the run game is also a must. Iowa pretty much proved last season that games can be won with almost zero offense. To me, that wasn't that surprising. But that fact that they did it without a run game was unbelievable. An offense virtually unable to impact field position, combined with the clock stopping every other play for an incomplete pass made the performance of the defense and punter that much more amazing.

Similar defense and punter will remain this season. Let's hope the offense and offensive line can be a little better. Either way the run must be committed to.

Simple, stubborn, and angry has worked for 150 years. That's why I put a period after each word of "run the ball". No ifs or buts. No this or that. Just RUN. THE. DAMN. BALL. PERIOD.
See the bold.

It is not good enough to do either, which is the case for many programs…

Insert a QB that
A) Has pocket awareness
B) Is dangerous in the run game

^^^ This changes literally everything
in the absence of a dominant OL, including how they attack our weak Line. They back off a bit to defend a play-making QB = the run game and pass game suddenly open up.

Why don’t we see the overwhelming positive things that come with a dual-threat?? Huge Mystery to me.

Last edited:
I care less about speed than the ability to consistently get open and catch the ball.

Our passing game has suffered because we have (some) guys who demonstrate way to many lapses in their fundamentals.
You are right, we have too many times receivers coming out of their breaks without having their hands in a good position to be ready to catch. And some times their hands are not in the right orientation.

But speed helps open holes in a pass defense if you know how to use it which is the critical question around Iowa.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Riley McCarron…
You remember Riley right @littlez … he was the guy that our fan base couldn’t figure out why he was playing and then he ran a 4.37, 40 yard dash and suddenly all of our fans couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t playing more…..LOL

I don’t remember your position on that, but I do know this; you run with that same crowd!

These message boards have given me a lot of material over the years to make fun of people!! Because truly that segment of the fans… Wow is all I can say!

How’d that work in many games last year. How does that work in the NFL with teams with bad OLs?
Not true. Here's a couple of names just to show you how wrong that statement is. Walter Payton, Barry Sanders.

Neither of them had even mediocre offensive lines for most of their careers. I believe Barry never played with an All-Pro lineman and Walter played with one Jay Hilgenberg the last two years of his career.

• Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three
Not true. Here's a couple of names just to show you how wrong that statement is. Walter Payton, Barry Sanders.

Neither of them had even mediocre offensive lines for most of their careers. I believe Barry never played with an All-Pro lineman and Walter played with one Jay Hilgenberg the last two years of his career.

WOW, I don’t 100% agree as it’s a bit anecdotal, but all the same…As I remember back, they never ran behind even good lines for the most part!

Nor Earl Campbell..?!

Erick Dickerson…?!

With that said they were good enough… ours has not been?!!!

WOW, I don’t 100% agree as it’s a bit anecdotal, but all the same…As I remember back, they never ran behind even good lines for the most part!

Nor Earl Campbell..?!

Erick Dickerson…?!

With that said they were good enough… ours has not been?!!!
Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah, Doug France, Kent Hill and Jackie Slater...Dickerson ran behind one of the best lines in history in LA.

For context, washed-up Charles White led the NFL in rushing the year after Dickerson was traded to the Colts.

Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah, Doug France, Kent Hill and Jackie Slater...Dickerson ran behind one of the best lines in history in LA.

For context, washed-up Charles White led the NFL in rushing the year after Dickerson was traded to the Colts.

Forgot about Jackie Slater….he played about 18 years right?

Reactions: EBL#7
There is no question Kaden is very fast. Not just fast compared to his earlier competition but objectively fast. I was in the camp of playing him more last season. He's not big, probably not much of a blocker but he can get behind the defense.

Kaden is getting a lot of work this spring, and a lot of coaching attention-per my Iowa City peeps. They are also not high on Bostick ever staying healthy-very skinny. Anderson back at full speed come summer. If Bostick doesn't come back Kaden is the 4th receiver.

The portal may change all of that.
Alabama inquiring in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
You remember Riley right @littlez … he was the guy that our fan base couldn’t figure out why he was playing and then he ran a 4.37, 40 yard dash and suddenly all of our fans couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t playing more…..LOL

I don’t remember your position on that, but I do know this; you run with that same crowd!

These message boards have given me a lot of material over the years to make fun of people!! Because truly that segment of the fans… Wow is all I can say!
I loved watching Riley run away from corners and safeties.

It was fun.

Alabama inquiring in the portal.
A little witty, but mostly stupid. Do you think Alabama and Iowa have comparable recruiting profiles?

Plus, the kid is really fast. Now, to quote Charles Barkley a deer can run and jump but can he play [foot]ball? Yet to be seen if Wetjen is another under the radar guy-like Charlie Jones was at about the same point in his career, or just another really fast guy that cannot play the game.

A little witty, but mostly stupid. Do you think Alabama and Iowa have comparable recruiting profiles?

Plus, the kid is really fast. Now, to quote Charles Barkley a deer can run and jump but can he play [foot]ball? Yet to be seen if Wetjen is another under the radar guy-like Charlie Jones was at about the same point in his career, or just another really fast guy that cannot play the game.
The formula of walk-on white boy WRs from Iowa in the 2 deeps in not working.

Reactions: littlez

There you go, name calling again again. Don't you know my family and friends read these boards? Isn't that what you sycophantic circle jerkers always say?? I guess that's what you do when you don't have anything substantive to say explaining why our receiver core is made up of mostly walk ons.
stay classy will ferrell GIF

Reactions: globalhawk

So, you named two guys who are in the top 5 of all time backs for the proposition that you don’t need a good OL to run? Really? So all we need is an NFL Hall of Fame back? How easy.

Reactions: globalhawk
There you go, name calling again again. Don't you know my family and friends read these boards? Isn't that what you sycophantic circle jerkers always say?? I guess that's what you do when you don't have anything substantive to say explaining why our receiver core is made up of mostly walk ons.
stay classy will ferrell GIF
Stupid isn't name calling, it's a description of a statement based on its concealed substantive predicate. You tried to be a smart ass, it backfired because you chose to tangle with a much worse and much much brighter smart ass. I allowed the credit you deserved, a little wit but the substance was substantially false and silly. The silly comparison of Iowa's recruiting cache to Alabama was the substance behind your wit, and the substance was witty by a little less than half.

If your friends and family care about you they would probably tell you to avoid wise assing me because it never, and I mean never ends well for the other guy.

For example, substantively, the majority of the Iowa receiving corps, at least the ones most likely to see the field, are not walk ons. Ragaini, Vines, Bostick, Anderson. While that group might not be confused with Kurt Warner's Greatest Show on Turf receiving crew they aren't walk ons either. Three more scholarship freshmen arrive in June.

To reach your conclusion you need rely on Bostick and Anderson's temporary absence and ignore the three new schollie receivers in the incoming freshmen group. Now, you and I both know your stated conclusion was intended to represent the entire receiving group on a universal basis and not merely iterate what you know is a trivial observation of a transitory fact, like how many holes it took to fill the Albert Hall in 1967. Such an obvious fallacy of false comparison would earn derision, scorn and ridicule in EPB and other venues of logical thought and argument. So again, your wise ass remark, and this time not even a little pithy, was merely a misrepresentation, as was your first.

Having already failed on sarcasm and substance you surely do not want to continue this game. You've had your say and I've had mine. Let's leave it at that.​

Stupid isn't name calling, it's a description of a statement based on its concealed substantive predicate. You tried to be a smart ass, it backfired because you chose to tangle with a much worse and much much brighter smart ass. I allowed the credit you deserved, a little wit but the substance was substantially false and silly. The silly comparison of Iowa's recruiting cache to Alabama was the substance behind your wit, and the substance was witty by a little less than half.

If your friends and family care about you they would probably tell you to avoid wise assing me because it never, and I mean never ends well for the other guy.

For example, substantively, the majority of the Iowa receiving corps, at least the ones most likely to see the field, are not walk ons. Ragaini, Vines, Bostick, Anderson. While that group might not be confused with Kurt Warner's Greatest Show on Turf receiving crew they aren't walk ons either. Three more scholarship freshmen arrive in June.

To reach your conclusion you need rely on Bostick and Anderson's temporary absence and ignore the three new schollie receivers in the incoming freshmen group. Now, you and I both know your stated conclusion was intended to represent the entire receiving group on a universal basis and not merely iterate what you know is a trivial observation of a transitory fact, like how many holes it took to fill the Albert Hall in 1967. Such an obvious fallacy of false comparison would earn derision, scorn and ridicule in EPB and other venues of logical thought and argument. So again, your wise ass remark, and this time not even a little pithy, was merely a misrepresentation, as was your first.

Having already failed on sarcasm and substance you surely do not want to continue this game. You've had your say and I've had mine. Let's leave it at that.​
Did you know that Pink Floyd played with Jimi Hendrix at Albert Hall? That's insane. Put this in your pipe. I rank Jimmy Page ahead of Hendrix.

Did you know that Pink Floyd played with Jimi Hendrix at Albert Hall? That's insane. Put this in your pipe. I rank Jimmy Page ahead of Hendrix.
I agree. Hendrix was a one trick pony, who unfortunately died before he could mature, like Clapton. Now, it was a freakishly historic and brilliant trick to be sure. He robbed the world by dying so young.

Page could do the power chords and complex solos but also some incredibly subtle and brilliant riffs. Also, Jimmy P was much more precise while playing really fast, kind of like Glen Campbell, never hit the wrong note no matter how fast he was going. Many a Page poster dotted my dorm and apartment walls.

You’re wasting your time these guys literally think they’re smart. They really think they know how to debate and run people up the flag pole… About five or six of them and they are real boxes of rocks!!

You’re wasting your time these guys literally think they’re smart. They really think they know how to debate and run people up the flag pole… About five or six of them and they are real boxes of rocks!!
Thanks. You'll notice that people usually slip away after a round or two of mind games with old Uncle Teddy. I had a teacher pay me money and give me an A in exchange for my never returning to class. Had an English teacher, timid little 20 something that pronounced "often" as "off" "tan". Every time I would say, loud for her to hear, its "aw as in awful and the t's silent". Then I'd ask for a bathroom pass. The first few times I returned and noticed there was initially a trace of disappointment that became an unmistakable grimace at my return. Then, about three weeks in, I just stopped coming back. No one ever said anything, and I got an A. That's when I knew the teachers preferred my absence to my presence.

I put all that together when I was 14.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT