ADVERTISEMENT

Is Wetjen This Year's Charlie Jones? Wasted Talent

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Watching Wetjen out there returning kicks with a sizzle we pretty much never see on the Iowa offense, it makes me wonder why guys like 5'6 Ragaini and stone hands Vines played nearly every snap this season while Wetjen, who averaged 27 yards per kick return and 17 yards per punt return vs Michigan, finished the season with ZERO catches or targets.

If you look at the stats, Vines and Ragaini averaged more drops per game than Wetjen had total targets all year. How is that possible? Johnny Pascuzi and Hayden Large had more receptions than the guy. Is Wetjen that bad of a blocker, or did the geniuses coaching Iowa's offense miss another one?

Charlie Jones wasted 2 years of eligibility at Iowa. He had a combined 21 catches for 323 yards. He transfers to a mediocre team with real offensive coaches and somehow managed 110 catches for 1400 yards in just 1 season. Did Charlie suddenly learn how to play WR or was coaching the difference. The same can be said for Kaleb Brown, who had just 1 catch in Iowa's first 9 games...he didn't get to see the field until permanent starter Vines got hurt. Suddenly, Brown had 18 catches in Iowa's final 4 games of the season. Did he suddenly learn to play WR too? It must be that famous WR development Iowa's known for. It's a miracle.

I don't know if Wetjen is a decent WR or not...but based on the speed and moves he displayed on KR and PR (he was pretty close to DeJean's level of play), I'd bet my next paycheck that the difference between Wetjen and guys like Vines or Anderson at WR isn't enough to justify them taking all the snaps and Wetjen taking none.

Watching Wetjen out there returning kicks with a sizzle we pretty much never see on the Iowa offense, it makes me wonder why guys like 5'6 Ragaini and stone hands Vines played nearly every snap this season while Wetjen, who averaged 27 yards per kick return and 17 yards per punt return vs Michigan, finished the season with ZERO catches or targets.

If you look at the stats, Vines and Ragaini averaged more drops per game than Wetjen had total targets all year. How is that possible? Johnny Pascuzi and Hayden Large had more receptions than the guy. Is Wetjen that bad of a blocker, or did the geniuses coaching Iowa's offense miss another one?

Charlie Jones wasted 2 years of eligibility at Iowa. He had a combined 21 catches for 323 yards. He transfers to a mediocre team with real offensive coaches and somehow managed 110 catches for 1400 yards in just 1 season. Did Charlie suddenly learn how to play WR or was coaching the difference. The same can be said for Kaleb Brown, who had just 1 catch in Iowa's first 9 games...he didn't get to see the field until permanent starter Vines got hurt. Suddenly, Brown had 18 catches in Iowa's final 4 games of the season. Did he suddenly learn to play WR too? It must be that famous WR development Iowa's known for. It's a miracle.

I don't know if Wetjen is a decent WR or not...but based on the speed and moves he displayed on KR and PR (he was pretty close to DeJean's level of play), I'd bet my next paycheck that the difference between Wetjen and guys like Vines or Anderson at WR isn't enough to justify them taking all the snaps and Wetjen taking none.
Charlie Jones was a walk-on at Iowa....he improved at Iowa and got drafted. only a clown would say he wasted 2 yrs. Kaleb Brown is a redshirt frosh in a new system. Yes he improved also during the yr despite missing a game for personal reasons mid season. So that leaves us with Wetjen, how many P5 offers did he have coming out of JC? I agree our wr's are not very good right now, but to say we have better on the bench is crazy.

Charlie Jones was a walk-on at Iowa....he improved at Iowa and got drafted. only a clown would say he wasted 2 yrs. Kaleb Brown is a redshirt frosh in a new system. Yes he improved also during the yr despite missing a game for personal reasons mid season. So that leaves us with Wetjen, how many P5 offers did he have coming out of JC? I agree our wr's are not very good right now, but to say we have better on the bench is crazy.
Jones was a walk-on in 2019, the year he sat out after transferring. Received a scholarship in 2020. Would not have been drafted if he stayed here.

Compelling argument.

how much faster/stronger did he get from spring in Iowa to fall in Purdue?
If he caught 40 passes for Iowa vs 100 for Purdue do the scouts care?
did his return game get better at Purdue or not?

I don't think any of the above would have changed where he was drafted if he had stayed at Iowa. Now if he went to Purdue for more targets and more post season awards in college, he made the right choice. It just would not change his draft position.

that's the new landscape of college football. catch between 5-10.
Sure if gonna run, but not fair catch. That one at the 5 there were no players behind him. Let that damn thing go. And then the offense pooped it over to Michigan right there.

how much faster/stronger did he get from spring in Iowa to fall in Purdue?
If he caught 40 passes for Iowa vs 100 for Purdue do the scouts care?
did his return game get better at Purdue or not?

I don't think any of the above would have changed where he was drafted if he had stayed at Iowa. Now if he went to Purdue for more targets and more post season awards in college, he made the right choice. It just would not change his draft position.
Well, let's take a look at the draft results for some of the best Ferentz receivers...

CJ Jones: Undrafted
Clinton Solomon: Undrafted
McNutt: 6th Round
DJK: Undrafted
Smith-Marsette: 5th Round

Charlie Jones: 4th Round

Jones absolutely balled out at Purdue, and was drafted ahead of all these guys because of it. Iowa played lesser players over him, and misused his skill set when he did see the field. But yeah, I'm sure scouts would have overlooked his lack of production because he ran in a straight line fast at the combine.

High schoolish pecking order seems to be Kirk’s method.
Yup, the likely hood that Rags was not going to take most every snap this season was .01%.

Having Wetjen and Brown not involved more is definitely a head scratcher for sure…much like Labas has not sniffed the field. We definitely need a new, EXPERIENCED OC who can breath life into our Offense because it’s definitely broken on many levels…🥲

Reactions: IowasLaw
Ragiani and Vines are net negative WRs, both cannot get separation and have bad hands, Iowa should have had Brown and Anderson at WR1 and WR2 and there is no talent based argument against that , You have to get Your Jimmies and Joe's on the Field including at QB, Iowa's Depth Chart choices on the Offensive side are self sabotaging and continue to be, The only real hope is if the new OC has testicles enough to demand Kirk stay out of His junk yard which will not happen .

Sure if gonna run, but not fair catch. That one at the 5 there were no players behind him. Let that damn thing go. And then the offense pooped it over to Michigan right there.
you must not watch much football. This has been common for some time now.
yes, the old rules were heels on the 10 yard line, don't catch if it's over your head. Not anymore. Punters have gotten too good. It's basically 50/50 whether or not the ball will check.

I feel like we’re equating several different arguments.

Did we not utilize Wetjen enough? Possibly, but you could say that about every receiver on the roster.
Are/were Ragaini and Vines wasted scholarships? I’d argue no. It’s difficult to grade the receiving position accurately given the shortcomings at QB, not to mention the poor schemes of the passing game in particular.

Reactions: Bierhalter
The goddamn fair catches inside the 10 yard line were maddening!! One was at the 5!

I think you'd have a better chance of the ball going into the endzone and starting at the 25 rather the 5.

Reactions: DogBoyRy

Iowa wasted the 2 years they had with Charlie Jones.

Iowa had about the worst offense in all of FBS this year. It stands to reason that the weakest unit on the nearly the worst offense is probably as bad as it gets. It is good question why Wetjen didn't get any snaps at slot/wr when guys like Ragaini and Flipper's boy did.

Kirk Ferentz/BF would lead us to believe they only need to clean up things. When you have a 3 year run in which cumulatively you are the worst in the business, being second guessed is valid because KF/BF have obviously blown it. Excuses are for guys that get fired.

The goddamn fair catches inside the 10 yard line were maddening!! One was at the 5!
I say this to everyone who complains about the kickoff fair catches. How do you know what the coaches are instructing the players to do. And they are coached if the kick is high to call a fair catch almost for sure. To you ever look to see where the kick team gunners are when the returner catches the ball. On high kicks, many times the gunners are at or past the 20 yard line in a full sprint. The returner would meet them at the 12 yard line. An extra 1 second of hang time is 10 yards at a sprint

Reactions: squeezebox
Kid is absolutely going to bust some of those returns next year. A good OC puts him in the slot and utilized the shit out of him.

What’s crazy is I legit do not think we have to reinvent the wheel offensively; just let the scheme evolve.

What’s crazy is I legit do not think we have to reinvent the wheel offensively; just let the scheme evolve.
I 100% agree. For what we can consistently recruit offensively its smart to be a run first team that utilizes TEs. Sprinkle in that mobile QB we hear about, more updated passing trees/concepts and we can get back to at minimum making games against OSU, MI, and Ped St competitive.

I think the bottom line is that you could argue that this offense has been so broken and dysfunctional that talent, especially with respect to receivers had very very little opportunity for success. Hoping that changes going forward with a more effective staff on that side of the ball. The only thing I'll say regarding Brown and Anderson is that I know experience is invaluable and loyalty is important, but with the dearth of talent on offense, if a newcomer has the goods, he needs to be in the starting lineup. Period.

I think the bottom line is that you could argue that this offense has been so broken and dysfunctional that talent, especially with respect to receivers had very very little opportunity for success. Hoping that changes going forward with a more effective staff on that side of the ball. The only thing I'll say regarding Brown and Anderson is that I know experience is invaluable and loyalty is important, but with the dearth of talent on offense, if a newcomer has the goods, he needs to be in the starting lineup. Period.

He’s gotten there ever so slowly at other positions as well, but fully agree that he needs to be more flexible regarding that.

Yup, the likely hood that Rags was not going to take most every snap this season was .01%.

Having Wetjen and Brown not involved more is definitely a head scratcher for sure…much like Labas has not sniffed the field. We definitely need a new, EXPERIENCED OC who can breath life into our Offense because it’s definitely broken on many levels…🥲
Or just tell the players that starting jobs are not guaranteed and the player playing the best will get the most reps. And then actually hold them to that. Give the backup a few plays a game or a series. See how he does.

Haven't seen anything in him to be anything like Jones.

you must not watch much football. This has been common for some time now.
yes, the old rules were heels on the 10 yard line, don't catch if it's over your head. Not anymore. Punters have gotten too good. It's basically 50/50 whether or not the ball will check.
I think that rule went out with neck braces….loved those by the way!😎

If Kirk says you’re not playing it doesn’t matter what the OC wants or says; if you’re not on Kirk’s approved list you’re sitting regardless of talent. It’s getting worse instead of better. Hill has as much right to start as I do.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is these days, but with more rugby style kicking and better kick coverage schemes, that seems pretty common to me. Growing up everyone was coached to let it go inside the ten, but I think thats turning into the five. Especially in college where the gunners can physically be in the endzone as long the ball is out. A lot more kicks that DONT get fair caught between the 5-10 seem to get downed near the goal line these days. I'm not a coach, just an observation.

Well, let's take a look at the draft results for some of the best Ferentz receivers...

CJ Jones: Undrafted
Clinton Solomon: Undrafted
McNutt: 6th Round
DJK: Undrafted
Smith-Marsette: 5th Round

Charlie Jones: 4th Round

Jones absolutely balled out at Purdue, and was drafted ahead of all these guys because of it. Iowa played lesser players over him, and misused his skill set when he did see the field. But yeah, I'm sure scouts would have overlooked his lack of production because he ran in a straight line fast at the combine.
Im come here for conspiracy theories and opinions. I don't like to read facts sir.

Reactions: vamchawk
Or just tell the players that starting jobs are not guaranteed and the player playing the best will get the most reps. And then actually hold them to that. Give the backup a few plays a game or a series. See how he does.
That seems to happen with the defense but for some reason there seems to be a different standard for just the QB and WR's. We see multiple TE's, RB's, OL get action, just not QB and WR.

Reactions: BioHawk
I feel every jet sweep and reverse this speedster should of been on. Yes he is young yes he may give it up every once and a while but has the speed to break it each time.
That's just to flashy though for our coach especially from a younger guy.
I always thought Tim Dwight should of had a larger role on offense when he was here as well.

Reactions: Willin
Meaningless bowl game should have played every true freshman wr and started Marco and see how they respond in game situations not just the fake Iowa practice narrative.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc

Just stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT