ADVERTISEMENT

WTF? Baseball version

THE_DEVIL back in the day was known for once in a while throwing that in Senior Babe Ruth.

Fourteen years old, I had always been a second baseman, but our team was so bad one day the manager named me the starting pitcher - with no warning and having never having thrown a ball from the mound in my life. Facing the best hitter in the league in the first inning, he crushed my first two pitches. But I was so slow he was so far in front of them they sailed foul. Knowing he was likely to adjust to my 50mph fastball, I threw a rainbow just for grins and he actually struck out.

I believe he wound up 3 for 4 with a home run and a couple of doubles, but I got him once!

That's a live look at @QChawks trying to strike his kids out in the back yard.
I throw them some nasty benders

5aaxr2C.gif

Fourteen years old, I had always been a second baseman, but our team was so bad one day the manager named me the starting pitcher - with no warning and having never having thrown a ball from the mound in my life. Facing the best hitter in the league in the first inning, he crushed my first two pitches. But I was so slow he was so far in front of them they sailed foul. Knowing he was likely to adjust to my 50mph fastball, I threw a rainbow just for grins and he actually struck out.

I believe he wound up 3 for 4 with a home run and a couple of doubles, but I got him once!
That's similar to how my first varsity start when I was in 9th grade. I got absolutely pummeled. But the kid on the other team who went on to play in the Minors for a few years crushed by fastballs foul, and I'm not sure they ever landed. I just threw him something a little slower to strike him out. The rest of the order had a great day and I gave up probably 16 runs in a 4-inning complete game. (Pretty sure it would have been a 10-run rule, 5-inning game.)

Lol. I was a corner outfielder forever. One random day when I was 14-15 the fill in coach decided I should pitch. I was just throwing soft stuff to get it near the plate and try to get some ground balls, pop ups. Gave up several runs. After the first inning the coach asked why I was "throwing like a pussy" and just Said to throw hard. I hit 4 batters over the next 3 innings, including 1 kid twice, before I was mercifully pulled. They put the kid i hit twice in to pitch later in the game just so he could plant one between my shoulder blades. I mean, I kind of deserved it, but it wasn't my Idea to have me pitch, and then keep sending me out there. That kid and I were friends and prior teammates in little league, too. We both laughed it off later.

Lol. I was a corner outfielder forever. One random day when I was 14-15 the fill in coach decided I should pitch. I was just throwing soft stuff to get it near the plate and try to get some ground balls, pop ups. Gave up several runs. After the first inning the coach asked why I was "throwing like a pussy" and just Said to throw hard. I hit 4 batters over the next 3 innings, including 1 kid twice, before I was mercifully pulled. They put the kid i hit twice in to pitch later in the game just so he could plant one between my shoulder blades. I mean, I kind of deserved it, but it wasn't my Idea to have me pitch, and then keep sending me out there. That kid and I were friends and prior teammates in little league, too. We both laughed it off later.
Probably the moment from my experience most etched in brain is while I was warming up, and the kids in the other dugout were watching. All I could hear, over and over, was various versions of, “Look how slow he is!” Which sucked, because clearly “fastball” was my only pitch…

Frank Tanana had some great hesitation moves back in the day. He’d do it maybe once a game or so; just enough to keep the hitters thinking about it. Great old-school stuff…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT