ADVERTISEMENT

WWE "Cold" on Steveson

Wrestling board only! And she’s a girl! I kid. Lady is a beast. Glad she stayed in state. Smart move by her. I’m guessing Spencer isn’t broke and I know Desanto at least has 120 dollars. Unfortunately, Gilman has 50.
I expected some grief about this….. just had a “ told you so” moment 😂

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Is Steveson’s NCAA career over? In the past it was a guaranteed yes given his professional decisions but nowadays IDK what to think.

Is Steveson’s NCAA career over? In the past it was a guaranteed yes given his professional decisions but nowadays IDK what to think.
Tired Presidential Debate GIF by INTO ACTION

Party’s over… But she now knows how to get to Sesame Street.

Last edited:
Reactions: natchrlman
Fake as it is, it was seriously entertaining in the ‘80s, especially when you showed up to root for the heels. Some of my teammates and I ran into Junkyard Dog and Special Delivery Jones at a gas station after a show at the Sioux City Auditorium. They were stocking up on road provisions. Genuinely good guys. Huge high school and college wrestling fans and huge fans of Dan Gable.

Fake as it is, it was seriously entertaining in the ‘80s, especially when you showed up to root for the heels. Some of my teammates and I ran into Junkyard Dog and Special Delivery Jones at a gas station after a show at the Sioux City Auditorium. They were stocking up on road provisions. Genuinely good guys. Huge high school and college wrestling fans and huge fans of Dan Gable.
Peak wrestling entertainment for me was the “attitude era” in the late 90s… so many good memories doubt it ever reaches that level again tho

Peak wrestling entertainment for me was the “attitude era” in the late 90s… so many good memories doubt it ever reaches that level again tho
Vern Ganja was the man back when I was a kid. It was downhill from there, imo.

Vern Ganja was the man back when I was a kid. It was downhill from there, imo.
Heard of him but can’t really watch 70s and 80s wrastling.. the rock, stone cold, undertaker were the guys in my era… after this downhill imo..

I think we saw him in Sioux City at the auditorium.
Is it possible that you saw his son Greg? It seems like you are a generation younger than grapplefan and myself.

I saw Vern in the late sixties, I think in Moline. He was already old. I remember him losing the world title a few years later to Nick Bockwinkle. As kids, we wondered if Vern could beat Dan Gable but were certain he would get squished by Chris Taylor.

It is rumored that Vern killed another nursing home resident with a lethal wrestling move very late in their lives. I think he was like 90. Close to my age.

Is it possible that you saw his son Greg? It seems like you are a generation younger than grapplefan and myself.

I saw Vern in the late sixties, I think in Moline. He was already old. I remember him losing the world title a few years later to Nick Bockwinkle. As kids, we wondered if Vern could beat Dan Gable but were certain he would get squished by Chris Taylor.

It is rumored that Vern killed another nursing home resident with a lethal wrestling move very late in their lives. I think he was like 90. Close to my age.
Really? Interesting story. That’s crazy.

I quit watching that crap when I was about ten. Do you know how old I am? Lol

Last edited:
I remember those days well…..All Star wrestling….. always two old lady twin sisters sitting ringside 😂😂 remember them more than the wrestling because my grandma loved all star wrestling and watched roller derby every weekend…… grandma was a little wild
Roller derby….. I like your grandma.

And I remember how dark it was in that auditorium with lights mostly on the ring.

Why couldn’t those refs see that blade? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
I remember those days well…..All Star wrestling….. always two old lady twin sisters sitting ringside 😂😂 remember them more than the wrestling because my grandma loved all star wrestling and watched roller derby every weekend…… grandma was a little wild
I think we had the same grandma. Saw "Texas Bob" Giegle (from Algona ;) ) take on Pat O'Connor.
I remember watching pro wrestling on Sunday nights from KWWL in Waterloo too.

I think were going to need MitchL to help out on this. Is Minny really shining the light on Lee and is he really ranked #1? KY did beat him in overtime at Minnesota last year?
You called??????????

Funny and probably pretty accurate that GS saved Eggum's job at Minnesota. Given their history and the only D-1 program in the State, it's pretty amazing how many other elite wrestlers have left the State since Eggs took over.

Brayton Lee is likely their best chance to have a champ this season. But I think sneaking into the top ten this season is their ceiling.

Just a reminder to anyone that gives a damn, back when GS committed to Eggum, I predicted GS would never be on a team that beat Iowa in a dual or a team that finished ahead of Iowa at the B1Gs or Nattys. ;)

That’s funny. I remember going to visit my step dads mom back in the day and she was always watching wrestling and roller derby. Always cracked me up!

Just a reminder to anyone that gives a damn, back when GS committed to Eggum, I predicted GS would never be on a team that beat Iowa in a dual or a team that finished ahead of Iowa at the B1Gs or Nattys. ;)

That’s like me predicting Alabama was gonna be good at football this year :cool:

Last edited:
That’s funny. I remember going to visit my step dads mom back in the day and she was always watching wrestling and roller derby. Always cracked me up!
I remember those days as well but our PRO Wrestling was out of Pittsburgh and had Bruno Sammartino and Chief Jay Strongbow and those guys.... the announcers were always acting like they had just arrived 1st on the scene at a horrible car accident whenever one the heels pulled a dirty tactic or used a foreign object in the ring. then later you could watch Chilly Billy and the Fright Night Scary Movies until the wee hours of the morning.

I remember those days as well but our PRO Wrestling was out of Pittsburgh and had Bruno Sammartino and Chief Jay Strongbow and those guys.... the announcers were always acting like they had just arrived 1st on the scene at a horrible car accident whenever one the heels pulled a dirty tactic or used a foreign object in the ring. then later you could watch Chilly Billy and the Fright Night Scary Movies until the wee hours of the morning.
Bruno Sanmartino. My favorite. The Rocky Marciano of pro wrestling. If you're of Italian descent these two are your guys.

Anyone remember Bob Baklund doing the stair step challenge? If you’re not familiar, part of Bobs persona was fitness and he would do fitness challenges to demonstrate his fitness and strength between matches. I think the stair step challenge was how many he could do in an hour and over the course of the show they’d check in on him every now and then to see how he was doing. I’ll bet anyone Bob really did the stair step challenge and set records:)

Might not be a bad shtick (updated) for Gable S. Bob Backlund was the first pro wrestler I identified with, I was nine. I’m thinking about bringing back the stair step challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
I think it was Kowalski with the claim of an iron stomach. He didn't win many but did some crazy things letting others hit him with fist or something else and would seemingly be unflinched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT