149: Cobe Siebrecht
157: Aiden Riggens
165: Pat Kennedy
174: Gabe Arnold
184: Mickey Griffith
197: Kolby Franklin
HWT: Ben Kueter

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Damn. Was really hoping that Henson would be able to give 33 a shot... Was looking forward to watching his career play out at Iowa.

Best of luck at your new school Wyatt.

This. I'm guessing he doesn't see himself making 133 next season? That's a shame. I figured he'd be the starter at 133.

Hopefully Schriever can stay healthy and show us what he can do in the line up.

125: Spencer Lee
133: Cullan Scriever
141: Real Woods
149: Max Murin
174: Nelson Brands
184: Abe Assad
197: Jacob Warner
HWT: Tony Cassioppi

125: Drake Ayala

125: Nate Jesuroga
133: Drake Ayala
141: Ryder Block
I have heard that Riggins will never be at 57 much less a 3 year starter there.

I hope this works itself out and he decides to stay. I sit in a tough spot. I want to win the championship every year, but I'm also very proud of what we have accomplished, while being loyal to the guys that were recruited in. I guess it is what it is, but definitely bums me out Henson is looking at transferring.

Being in the transfer portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. It's basically a year to year contract now and you may say a renewable business decision.
Don't know what schollie money he was getting, but does entering the portal mean you immediately give that up, even if you don't find a better place/offer and later decide to stay (and maybe get schollie money back).

Last edited:
Kinda weird to see Ben Kueter liking the tweets about Henson entering the portal. Probably nothing as Kueter isn’t going anywhere, probably just a respect thing. Idk.

I wasn’t as sold as some on here were. He was treated with kids gloves for most of the season until the Scuffle. He was wrestling in the freshmen/soph brackets and not the main ones and really hadn’t wrestled anyone of note.

Then, when he finally wrestled the Scuffle, he showed he was very ill prepared on the mat, when he finally wrestled two good wrestlers(both still didn’t AA) in Hart and Alirez.

It sucks to lose this kind of depth, but I am not sold he was the answer quite yet…

This. But to be clear, I would very, very much have preferred he stay!

Question is did they have an idea Henson was going to leave before going after Woods. If not then I would have rather kept Henson because bringing in Woods isn't going to win anything. I hope Block can hold 141.

If it's a question of one or the other (not that it necessarily was), I take Woods 10 times out of 10.

This. But to be clear, I would very, very much have preferred he stay!

If it's a question of one or the other (not that it necessarily was), I take Woods 10 times out of 10.
Would you rather have a very good wrestler for two years? Or a potentially very good wrestler, still unproven, for 4 years? I think Penn State answers that in the way they like to handle it.

If this was a reaction to Woods coming on board then Brands etc had to have been aware of the possibility of this outcome, especially if he didn't discuss the possibility with Henson before it happened. I guess if he was up front about it and ok with this outcome so be it. I guess we'll find out if they know what the hell they are doing.

Welp. I really liked Henson. He's a go-getter and the type of wrestler who will improve year over year.

That said, getting Woods was a coup for Brands, and a no-brainer in terms of net impact.

It doesn't add team points to have 3 good guys on the roster at 2 weights, and it locks up scholly money that could be better used at another weight.

As Sinatra says, that's life.

This bums me out. I think I'd rather have Henson for 4 years than Woods for 2.
I'd rather take a shot at the championship next year and worry about 2025 later. College sports has completely been altered with the transfer portal and NIL. It will be like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and everyone else. My guess is it will be Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State fighting it out for their spot in the top 5 from here on out. Maybe Oklahoma State and Arizona State compete for the other spot.

Never. Gets. Old.
I'm sure this should be pretty easy for Dresser to get Henson. Henson obviously feels shunned. What better way to try and get back at the Brands by going to Iowa's one time rival?

This is kind of a "can't miss" for ISU. But like I said earlier... getting lightweight wrestlers to develop has been a huge problem to date.

Reactions: tigerguy_
I'm sure this should be pretty easy for Dresser to get Henson. Henson obviously feels shunned. What better way to try and get back at the Brands by going to Iowa's one time rival?

This is kind of a "can't miss" for ISU. But like I said earlier... getting lightweight wrestlers to develop has been a huge problem to date.
Not sure Dresser has any room for Sammy at the CRTC with all the other dads there already

Well we all need to realize that college sports has changed pretty dramatically with this NIL stuff/crap. We are in a new era that has yet to be figured out exactly how it is going to actually work? Older sports fans may remember how it was way back in the day of pro sports? There was some movement of athletes, but nothing like in todays world. This seems to be a bit like that but with some major differences and what I will predict, problems.

Recruiting a HS athlete is not the same as drafting an athlete, at least it wasn't, Not sure about now? Like what has been talked about, I believe a kid wants to see / feel some loyalty. Now though, not only can coaches bring in athletes, athletes can also walk. So it is a 2 way street in that sense and the coaches and teams are really in a worse position if you ask me.

The coaches also want loyalty, but they are also usually making a big commitment of time, scholly $$$, etc... In pro sports, you have the leagues setting rules, you have salary caps, compensation for when a team takes a player, and other rules. Right now, in NCAA sports, there is nothing! I am waiting for some Ivy league school, to get a huge donation to a sport like Crew. Then watch them buy up all the top guys.

So yea while it isn't great to have Henson possibly leaving. Getting RW was a no brainer in this current situation. Yes Henson has shown some potential, but all that is; is a nice word for someone who hasn't done anything yet. RW, comes in as a proven guy and a title contender out of the gate. If we add a stud at 157, the team title, which only a few weeks back looked out of reach. Once again is in play, and that is the only way that IOWA rolls, seeking titles!

honest question: Who are the 157 lbers out there (and 133 lbers) that would be in situations to transfer to a place like Iowa?

Random name drops from me with zero clue on their desire to transfer, but I would be thrilled with O'Connor or Ed Scott for 57.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I don't know on that yet. Block is only top 20 at his weight vs overall and just got dominated by the older Bouzakis.
That's fair. We need to keep in mind that Bouzakis wrecks all dudes, and Block did have to goods to beat Ayala once as a sophmore. "I like our guy".

Reactions: Gobblin and MSU158
You're all acting like Henson is transferring because of the Woods news, but I don't see it.

Henson seems like the kinda guy that'd welcome a challenge to be the best in the room rather than flee from it. Seems to me he'd at least let Woods get here and beat his butt or get his butt beat by Schriever this offseason before he decided to leave. I see it as either a lifestyle difference like hawkeyejr and Gobblin alluded to or hes just a vagabon that has trouble staying in one place (Kerkvliet). No clue, but I doubt the Woods news has anything to do with it, other than potentially expediting what was already taking place.

That's fair. We need to keep in mind that Bouzakis wrecks all dudes, and Block did have to goods to beat Ayala once as a sophmore. "I like our guy".
I would love to be as confident as you but the proof hasn't been in the pudding with enough frequency regarding high end success from in state kids. I'm more optimistic than before but not sold.

125: Spencer Lee
149: Max Murin
197: Jacob Warner

125: Drake Ayala

125: Nate Jesuroga
133: Drake Ayala
141: Ryder Block

Riggins not likely holding 157. I'd pick Rathjen and probably Reyna to win the spot over Siebrecht. No offense to Mickey Griffith but I doubt he will be our starting 184. Brands probably can get a medical for this year and have 3 years left. I expect Gabe to end up at 184 eventually.

Reactions: Gobblin
Hate to say it losing Henson is gonna hurt!! His potential is out the window and he’s not even peaking yet. Jmo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT