ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

Jizzer

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2002
Anything new on him? I know he visited ISU's game last weekend. Seems pretty quiet on that front.

Anything new on him? I know he visited ISU's game last weekend. Seems pretty quiet on that front.

We'll know when we know. I know everyone wants inside information, but I can go just on what is factually true:

Iowa was the first to offer him and has been active with him the entire time. If Iowa doesn't get him, it won't be because Fran and staff haven't put in the time.
He's been to ISU a lot too. Don't know what that means or why that is.
He can go to most any school that he wants. Not Zion Williamson good, but he has a huge upside with his skill set, size and athleticism.
He will be criticized for not being that good by posters on this board based on high school results. As if stats in Iowa high school basketball are any indicator of how good a guy will be in college.

Reactions: hooper56
Foster would fit right in to the stretch 4 mold that Fran has liked to recruit. His skill set resembles a more physical Uthoff. That would seem to make it easier for a recruit to envision himself with the team. Uthoff has proven to be a fringe NBA player and Foster is more talented, so that could be a selling point too.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Seems like Foster likes the Iowa coaches and players ... We miss the tourney again this year I think our chances of landing him reach about 5% ... Watched him in the state tourney ... You can't teach the length and athleticism ... You can see the potential with the right coaching ...

Reactions: hawkfan1963
Seems like Foster likes the Iowa coaches and players ... We miss the tourney again this year I think our chances of landing him reach about 5% ... Watched him in the state tourney ... You can't teach the length and athleticism ... You can see the potential with the right coaching ...

I also think he has the opportunity to step in and make an impact right away (especially defensively) from day 1.

This could be our starting 5 and reserves

SF-Patrick McCaffrey 6'9" So
PF-Xavier Foster 7'0" Fr / Cordell Pemsl 6'8" Sr
C-Luka Garza 6'11" Sr / Jack Nunge 7'0" Jr
OG-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" Jr / CJ Fredrick 6'4" So
PG-Joe Toussaint 6'0" So / Connor McCaffrey 6'5" Jr

You are all possibly correct.

Acting out of control and no post season success might not matter to the top players.

Time will tell, it almost always does.

You witnessed Prohm during the Iowa game right?
Yes. And it was poor.

If it doesn’t help it hurts. Plenty more Fran craziness out there to watch than Prohm.

Of course all is ignored if you have Final Fours in your pocket like Izzo and Coach K.

Yes. And it was poor.

If it doesn’t help it hurts. Plenty more Fran craziness out there to watch than Prohm.

Of course all is ignored if you have Final Fours in your pocket like Izzo and Coach K.

Let me know when Fran goes after another team’s player.

I think we'll have a good chance of getting Foster, but he is a work in progress who will have to earn his minutes like everybody else. I've seen him play in person and on TV, both losses for Osky.

Reactions: amahawk
Foster would fit right in to the stretch 4 mold that Fran has liked to recruit. His skill set resembles a more physical Uthoff. That would seem to make it easier for a recruit to envision himself with the team. Uthoff has proven to be a fringe NBA player and Foster is more talented, so that could be a selling point too.
ISU makes that same pitch from a much stronger position.

How so? If he comes to Iowa right now, he competes as a Freshman with Nunge and/or Pemsl. If he goes to ISU, he competes with Lard, Griffin, Conditt, Anderson, and Leech. Seems like the easier path to playing time is at Iowa his freshman year and forward. All depend on how Patrick comes in though. Not sure he has the strength to be a 4 in the big ten. Seems like he'll be a 2/3 with Weiskamp a 2/3.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
How so? If he comes to Iowa right now, he competes as a Freshman with Nunge and/or Pemsl. If he goes to ISU, he competes with Lard, Griffin, Conditt, Anderson, and Leech. Seems like the easier path to playing time is at Iowa his freshman year and forward. All depend on how Patrick comes in though. Not sure he has the strength to be a 4 in the big ten. Seems like he'll be a 2/3 with Weiskamp a 2/3.
I always thought Fran made the promise to Woodbury that he would start him from day 1, and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the same promise to Foster. Nothing wrong with that, you have give top talent a reason to chose Iowa.

If he doesn’t go to Iowa it’s not for a lack of trying but due to lack of results of prior teams.

I think pat will have to play the four because of joe. Or maybe joe slides to four and pat plays three.

I also think he has the opportunity to step in and make an impact right away (especially defensively) from day 1.

Cripes.... Is Nunge really 7ft? Didn't realize he was that big

Did anyone else notice that Fredrick is listed as playing at NU in one box score, on another--no. I assume he did not play, but how do those errors happen?

I don't think there's any reason to worry about Foster right now. Iowa is clearly among his top schools, and this year's team is having some good success. Next step is making the tournament, but that looks like a pretty attainable goal at this point. If we collapse down the stretch, or if bigger fish start getting heavily involved, then I'll start to worry.

Reactions: perryhawk
He should go to Iowa so we can win a championship.........
He doesn't wrestle.
Top 50 or 100 players don't worry about who they are competing with. They want to win and get to the league, which ISU provides. BTW, ISU is a great program at utilizing the stretch 4.

He doesn't wrestle.

Top 50 or 100 players don't worry about who they are competing with. They want to win and get to the league, which ISU provides. BTW, ISU is a great program at utilizing the stretch 4.

Can you enlighten us with who Prohm has recruited and developed at the stretch 4? I truly don’t know.

Reactions: CanadaHawk

But Xavier will never really know his position at isu because whenever a starter gets kicked off the team at another school isu will scoop them up and give them a second, third or fourth chance. Sure hope isu can invest all of their Bowl money really well that way they can build their own “Wellness Center” for athletes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT