ADVERTISEMENT

Yes!!!! Nebraska beats MN!!

We need to Win Saturday!!! Keep the dream season alive!!!

Cool getting pumped up about Hawkeye basketball, but if they do indeed have a "dream season," it won't have anything to do with the result of this Minn-Neb game.

WRONG, Idiot! We need to get a 4th seed in the B1G tournament to increase our chances of winning it and securing a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA tourney. Since MN beat us they would win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record. These games do matter! Duh

I missed pretty much the whole 2nd half of this game, but I was pretty sure Minny would win it. But then I just checked the score...
tenor.gif

Anybody know if he still tweets at halftime of their games?
He does not.. He said he stopped because he was sick of tweeting “we stink and can’t get a rebound” about four years ago.. he also had a guy ask him if they gave up winning for lent and he said “no it was my New Years resolution”.. He’s actually very funny and down to earth! I sat behind their bench at the BTT last year and he actually interacted with a few heckling fans which I thought was pretty funny..

He does not.. He said he stopped because he was sick of tweeting “we stink and can’t get a rebound” about four years ago.. he also had a guy ask him if they gave up winning for lent and he said “no it was my New Years resolution”.. He’s actually very funny and down to earth! I sat behind their bench at the BTT last year and he actually interacted with a few heckling fans which I thought was pretty funny..
Hey Sota, I just looked at Pomeroy's rankings and the Clones are #14 and we are #28. Makes me want to puke.

Not sure how NCAA NET is factored into the selection process but Nebraska was 40th with a 13-11 record and may improve a few spots after tonight.

Is it possible that they make the tournament with 17 wins? That would keep them within the top 40.

Not sure how NCAA NET is factored into the selection process but Nebraska was 40th with a 13-11 record and may improve a few spots after tonight.

Is it possible that they make the tournament with 17 wins? That would keep them within the top 40.
Just scrap the whole damn thing or go back to 64 teams if a fricking 17-15 team makes it in.. but no you’re not wrong! That bracket reveal was dry humping the NET and OOCSOS

NET replaces the RPI as the main metric this year. With how bad the bubble is, 17 MIGHT do it for Nebraska, but they might need a Thursday win in BTT.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Sota, dont focus so much in the ranking changes. Their efficiency went up 0.34 today. If ours did that, we stay 25th. They were just very bunched with teams around them.

The same thing is happening with NET. There is a hidden metric behind the scenes. When teams are bunched, small changes can be several spot changes.

Sota, dont focus so much in the ranking changes. Their efficiency went up 0.34 today. If ours did that, we stay 25th. They were just very bunched with teams around them.

The same thing is happening with NET. There is a hidden metric behind the scenes. When teams are bunched, small changes can be several spot changes.
My original point from earlier today was mostly just that these efficiency rankings need to have a win loss metric tied in.. they’re smarter than me they can figure that out. You’ll never convince me a 17-15 team deserves to dance over a 28-4 mid major because the 17-15 team beat CCSU and Farleigh Dickinson by 45 earlier in the year..

Hope the committee gets it right but based off the past 10 years or so we’re likely to see some trash P5 teams getting bounced in the first round again (Oklahoma last year)

My original point from earlier today was mostly just that these efficiency rankings need to have a win loss metric tied in.. they’re smarter than me they can figure that out. You’ll never convince me a 17-15 team deserves to dance over a 28-4 mid major because the 17-15 team beat CCSU and Farleigh Dickinson by 45 earlier in the year..

Hope the committee gets it right but based off the past 10 years or so we’re likely to see some trash P5 teams getting bounced in the first round again (Oklahoma last year)

Let’s use your Oklahoma example from last year. Which mid major do put in over Oklahoma last year and why.

Definitely agree with that sentiment, and have a few mid majors in particular that I'd like to see get a shot. KenPom in particular is one of the gold standards, though, and his algorithm does take into account opponent strength.

Let’s use your Oklahoma example from last year. Which mid major do put in over Oklahoma last year and why.
Didn’t have to be a mid major.. why did Penn State not get in over them if this efficiency metrics is the way to go? Or if you do want a mid major example let’s go St Mary’s.. who I agree using the RPI methods last year absolutely didn’t deserve a bid.. but the goal posts have been moved in a huge way.. Funny that with Penn States resume last year they would been anywhere from a 7-10 seed in the dance this year..

Last edited:
Didn’t have to be a mid major.. why did Penn State not get in over them if this efficiency metrics is the way to go? Or if you do want a mid major example let’s go St Mary’s.. who I agree using the RPI methods last year absolutely didn’t deserve a bid.. but the goal posts have been moved in a huge way.. Funny that with Penn States resume last year they would been anywhere from a 7-10 seed in the dance this year..

That’s fair. Let’s pretend that the NET quad system was in place last year and we break down the W’s/L’s that. I’ll have to use Kenpom’s numbers but it should be close enough for this.

Penn St
Q1 3-9
Q2 6-2
Q3 4-2
Q4 8-0
SOS 56 NCOS 322

Oklahoma
Q1 7-10
Q2 3-2
Q3 3-0
Q4 5-0
SOS 5 NCOS 96

Obviously we don’t know what their NET ranking would have been but it’s pretty obvious the committee valued those “Q1” wins more than anything else. Also, Penn St had two “Q3” losses and a terrible NCOS. That said, it is strange that Penn St really wasn’t that close to the tournament since they got a 4 seed in the NIT.

Edit: I think Penn St would have made the tourney last year if the NET rankings were in place.

That’s fair. Let’s pretend that the NET quad system was in place last year and we break down the W’s/L’s that. I’ll have to use Kenpom’s numbers but it should be close enough for this.

Penn St
Q1 3-9
Q2 6-2
Q3 4-2
Q4 8-0
SOS 56 NCOS 322

Oklahoma
Q1 7-10
Q2 3-2
Q3 3-0
Q4 5-0
SOS 5 NCOS 96

Obviously we don’t know what their NET ranking would have been but it’s pretty obvious the committee valued those “Q1” wins more than anything else. Also, Penn St had two “Q3” losses and a terrible NCOS. That said, it is strange that Penn St really wasn’t that close to the tournament since they got a 4 seed in the NIT.
Their NET ranking would have been very close to their Kenpom which was 20 versus Oklahoma at 45.. and we saw how the committee feels about that number after watching the bracket release.

I’m just hoping the committee uses some common sense and actually evaluates the resumes instead of putting most of their weight into the NET ranking.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Their NET ranking would have been very close to their Kenpom which was 20 versus Oklahoma at 45.. and we saw how the committee feels about that number after watching the bracket release.

Probably. And I added an edit above saying Penn St would have made it last year. Giving them a 4 seed in the NIT was pretty outrageous.

Probably. And I added an edit above saying Penn St would have made it last year. Giving them a 4 seed in the NIT was pretty outrageous.
And I do like the NET way more than the RPI.. I just think it’s showing some serious flaws as we move along. Even Warren Nolan has called them out for some very odd movement lately as if whatever that secret factor is may not be 100% calculation related. Conspiracy theory time.. It’ll be interesting to see if the committee breaks away from the NET a little more after their top 4 seeds. Auburn having a higher NET than Iowa from an efficiency standpoint, sure whatever.. But if they end up higher than them on a seed list because of their NET we have huge problems..

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
And I do like the NET way more than the RPI.. I just think it’s showing some serious flaws as we move along. Even Warren Nolan has called them out for some very odd movement lately as if whatever that secret factor is may not be 100% calculation related. Conspiracy theory time.. It’ll be interesting to see if the committee breaks away from the NET a little more after their top 4 seeds. Auburn having a higher NET than Iowa from an efficiency standpoint, sure whatever.. But if they end up higher than them on a seed list because of their NET we have huge problems..

I posted elsewhere that they main fix they need to implement is to account for quality of opponent for their efficiency metrics. Doing that would incentivize better schedule and wouldn’t reward teams for blowing out cupcakes nearly as much. Let’s look at two teams and determine why the have their NET rating, at least to a certain degree.

Nebraska 13-11
Q1 2-8 Q2 4-3 Q3 2-0 Q4 4-0 NET 40 SOS 78 NCOS 227

Georgetown 15-9
Q1 3-3 Q2 4-4 Q3 1-2 Q4 7-0 NET 78 SOS 79 NCOS 211

Nebraska won 9 non con games by 10+ points and 8 by 20+. They lost 1 by 10+

Georgetown won 4 non con games by 10+ and 1 by 20+. They lost one game by 10+.

There’s a reason why Nebraska climbed up to 10 at one point during the season. They destroyed their non con opponents, and in turn boosted their efficiency numbers.

Now imagine if quality of opponent mattered. Sure, Georgetown wouldn’t be any better off but Nebraska wouldn’t have been anywhere near the top 10.

How crazy would it be if they made it in this year with 17 or so wins but didn’t get in last year with a 13-5 conference record?

Reactions: SotaHawk87
How Nebraska can still be a bubble team is a mystery to me. I think you could make a much better argument that they should have danced last year, although their schedule was awful.

My original point from earlier today was mostly just that these efficiency rankings need to have a win loss metric tied in.. they’re smarter than me they can figure that out.

They do have one built in. There is an efficiency component and a resume component. That's why the team sheets list NET (something of a hybrid) but then also lists resume metrics KPI and SOR, then efficiency metrics BPI, KenPom, and Sagarin.

WRONG, Idiot! We need to get a 4th seed in the B1G tournament to increase our chances of winning it and securing a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA tourney. Since MN beat us they would win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record. These games do matter! Duh
Way to foster a mature discussion! You can disagree without name calling and being disrespectful. Actually shows a little bit of intelligence when you can.

Reactions: owenhawk
They do have one built in. There is an efficiency component and a resume component. That's why the team sheets list NET (something of a hybrid) but then also lists resume metrics KPI and SOR, then efficiency metrics BPI, KenPom, and Sagarin.
But for the reveal they blew right past the quads. Nevada has 0 quad one wins and they were a top 4 seed.

Not sure who the idiot is. If Hawks want a 4 seed, they just need to win, and what the teams BELOW them do will be pretty much irrelevant.

You’ve already hammered by a few posters, but you did not make an intelligent post.

What do you think the chances of Iowa being in a tie with Minnesota...FOR THE FOUR SEED are? Is Minnesota planning to get some of their past results changed?

Thank God Iowa swept Northwestern. If the Hawks happen to tie them for first place, Iowa will get the 1 seed!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT