ADVERTISEMENT

Yes!!!! Nebraska beats MN!!

Awful call. The MN defender didnt even jump straight up, he actually jumped back away from the Nebby guy to avoid contact.

Little Pitino hunted down the ref after the buzzer and literally said to him "F*** You".
Minny crying about officiating is pretty funny. Wonder how Lil Dick felt about BE not getting the time out call last year when the Hawks lost in Gopherville?
MBB has the most homeristic calls in college sports, imo.

Minny crying about officiating is pretty funny. Wonder how Lil Dick felt about BE not getting the time out call last year when the Hawks lost in Gopherville?
MBB has the most homeristic calls in college sports, imo.

That was 2 years ago.

Reactions: MitchLL
I posted elsewhere that they main fix they need to implement is to account for quality of opponent for their efficiency metrics. Doing that would incentivize better schedule and wouldn’t reward teams for blowing out cupcakes nearly as much. Let’s look at two teams and determine why the have their NET rating, at least to a certain degree.

Nebraska 13-11
Q1 2-8 Q2 4-3 Q3 2-0 Q4 4-0 NET 40 SOS 78 NCOS 227

Georgetown 15-9
Q1 3-3 Q2 4-4 Q3 1-2 Q4 7-0 NET 78 SOS 79 NCOS 211

Nebraska won 9 non con games by 10+ points and 8 by 20+. They lost 1 by 10+

Georgetown won 4 non con games by 10+ and 1 by 20+. They lost one game by 10+.

There’s a reason why Nebraska climbed up to 10 at one point during the season. They destroyed their non con opponents, and in turn boosted their efficiency numbers.

Now imagine if quality of opponent mattered. Sure, Georgetown wouldn’t be any better off but Nebraska wouldn’t have been anywhere near the top 10.

This is entirely correct. The NET rankings are a huge improvement over RPI, but still flawed in that the efficiency metrics aren't adjusted for level of competition. Pomeroy rankings do adjust for level of competition. For example, it's much more impressive to hold Michigan State to 1 point per possession vs holding Savannah State to 1 point per possession. Nebraska got a huge boost by running up its raw efficiency numbers in the non-conference. They did beat some good teams in the non-con as well.

I was worried about this when they announced how the NET would be calculated. Mark Few from Gonzaga is one the guys who was involved in discussion of the NET, and my guess is it was a push from the non-P5 folks as a concession to getting rid of the RPI. It benefits a Gonzaga to use just raw efficiency as his Gonzaga teams run up high efficiency numbers against bad competition in the WCC. The dumb thing is even adjusted efficiency metrics like Gonzaga, because they are in fact a really good team.

NET is way, way better than RPI. If they adjust for competition in the efficiency factor, it will be even better. It will be interesting to see how the committee uses it for seeding and selection of teams beyond the top 16 teams in the country. For example, Iowa's resume is probably more impressive than its NET ranking. Iowa has no bad losses, and is 5-5 vs Quad 1 and 4-0 vs Quad 2. That is really good. 4 Quad 1 games left, 2 Quad 2 and 1 Quad 3. If Iowa doesn't lose at home to Rutgers, then Iowa will have zero bad losses.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
This is entirely correct. The NET rankings are a huge improvement over RPI, but still flawed in that the efficiency metrics aren't adjusted for level of competition. Pomeroy rankings do adjust for level of competition. For example, it's much more impressive to hold Michigan State to 1 point per possession vs holding Savannah State to 1 point per possession. Nebraska got a huge boost by running up its raw efficiency numbers in the non-conference. They did beat some good teams in the non-con as well.

I was worried about this when they announced how the NET would be calculated. Mark Few from Gonzaga is one the guys who was involved in discussion of the NET, and my guess is it was a push from the non-P5 folks as a concession to getting rid of the RPI. It benefits a Gonzaga to use just raw efficiency as his Gonzaga teams run up high efficiency numbers against bad competition in the WCC. The dumb thing is even adjusted efficiency metrics like Gonzaga, because they are in fact a really good team.

NET is way, way better than RPI. If they adjust for competition in the efficiency factor, it will be even better. It will be interesting to see how the committee uses it for seeding and selection of teams beyond the top 16 teams in the country. For example, Iowa's resume is probably more impressive than its NET ranking. Iowa has no bad losses, and is 5-5 vs Quad 1 and 4-0 vs Quad 2. That is really good. 4 Quad 1 games left, 2 Quad 2 and 1 Quad 3. If Iowa doesn't lose at home to Rutgers, then Iowa will have zero bad losses.

That mid major angle was my thought too when they decided to omit the strength of opponent component to the efficiency metrics. Maybe change it to Q1-Q2 wins are uncapped while Q3 wins are capped at X and Q4 at Y. It’s complete garbage ther teams can inflate their efficiency numbers by playing terrible teams in the non con, and even in conference in some instances.

But for the reveal they blew right past the quads. Nevada has 0 quad one wins and they were a top 4 seed.

I think the quads won't be that important based on that. The only time it mattered in the first 16 was KU over TT - and KU was #17 jumping #16, but they have the most Q1 wins. So it's not going to jump somebody up 2 seeds or anything I don't think.

But for the reveal they blew right past the quads. Nevada has 0 quad one wins and they were a top 4 seed.

Don’t forget the ever so nebulous eye test. The committee will pick and choose when to use it (Nevada), when to use Q1 victories over NET (Marquette), and when to use the NET ratings (pretty much everyone else in the top 16)

That was 2 years ago.
How about Lil Dick crying for a flagrant 1 this year against CMc, on a foul that was far less obviously an "intentional foul" than fouls that happen all of the time, especially at the end of games? I am a little surprised there haven't been off court revelations about Minny in a year or two. Give it some time.

How about Lil Dick crying for a flagrant 1 this year against CMc, on a foul that was far less obviously an "intentional foul" than fouls that happen all of the time, especially at the end of games? I am a little surprised there haven't been off court revelations about Minny in a year or two. Give it some time.

Did you see Connor barking back at Dick when that happened? He’s a red ass just likes his pops.

Awful call. The MN defender didnt even jump straight up, he actually jumped back away from the Nebby guy to avoid contact.

Little Pitino hunted down the ref after the buzzer and literally said to him "F*** You".
Pitino is a tiny wisp of a man with a big mouth.

Didnt the refs review that and rule it a Flagrant 1? If so, Pitino aboslutely did the right thing.

I still am not sure how it was ruled flagrant. If that was ruled to not be a legitimate play on the ball, every foul at the end of games needs to be flagrant. Just because it broke up a fast break should have no impact on the call.

WRONG, Idiot! We need to get a 4th seed in the B1G tournament to increase our chances of winning it and securing a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA tourney. Since MN beat us they would win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record. These games do matter! Duh
If we only finish 1 game ahead of minny, then this will hardly qualify as a "dream season" lol.
Thanks for playing though lil fella!.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
I still am not sure how it was ruled flagrant. If that was ruled to not be a legitimate play on the ball, every foul at the end of games needs to be flagrant. Just because it broke up a fast break should have no impact on the call.
There are plenty of legitmate fouls at the end of the game.
Connor did not attempt to make a play on the ball, so I don't have a problem with the call. I DO have a problem with the call not being consistent though. Either they are going to call them or they aren't......

Didnt the refs review that and rule it a Flagrant 1? If so, Pitino aboslutely did the right thing.
Missing the point. The officials had no intention of reviewing until Lil Dick started crying like a baby, working every angle he can to win. I am glad Fran doesn't coach that way, although there was a totally blatant "intentional foul" near the end of the IU game that coulda/shoulda been called that Fran should have probably asked for to salt away the game.

Missing the point. The officials had no intention of reviewing until Lil Dick started crying like a baby, working every angle he can to win..

Coaches all over the country ask for the refs to review calls at the monitor. It seems like every game that I watch that is close in the final minutes has several stoppages for reviews.

Thats not just a Pitino tactic.

He asked for a review and got the call changed to a Flagrant 1, sounds like you should have more of an issue with the definition of a Flagrant 1 than with Pitino's coaching style.

Coaches all over the country ask for the refs to review calls at the monitor. It seems like every game that I watch that is close in the final minutes has several stoppages for reviews.

Thats not just a Pitino tactic.

He asked for a review and got the call changed to a Flagrant 1, sounds like you should have more of an issue with the definition of a Flagrant 1 than with Pitino's coaching style.
Glad you like him. That makes two non-goofer fans, you and his dad.

WRONG, Idiot! We need to get a 4th seed in the B1G tournament to increase our chances of winning it and securing a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA tourney. Since MN beat us they would win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record. These games do matter! Duh

Yeah, see H4wkfan4life's reply above.
Thanks for showing your true colors, though.

I've heard that Miles is a decent guy, but, my gawd, he's the goofiest coach I've ever seen.
He’s a great guy. But kind of wired with unusual high energy. Almost ADD like the few times I briefly met him.

I hear he’s a pretty good whiskey drinker as well. ;)

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Not sure who the idiot is. If Hawks want a 4 seed, they just need to win, and what the teams BELOW them do will be pretty much irrelevant.

Nice logic there. Let me educate you:

1) It is highly unlikely that Iowa will win the rest of its remaining games. That’s why we NEED teams that are only 1-2 games BELOW (MN/OSU) and ABOVE us (WI and MD) to lose.

2) Teams that are only below us by 1 game, which MN was when this was posted, could easily finish AHEAD of us. That would mean a likely 5th or 6th seed in the B1G tournament and not receiving a double bye. This significantly LOWERS Iowa’s chances of getting to the finals or winning the tournament.

3) Given that MN BEAT us in our only meeting, they would get the higher seed if we ended up tied. Therefore, their loss to Nebraska was very important in preventing this scenario.

4) Winning the tournament, which is realistic with the right match-ups, would likely propel Iowa to a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA.

5) A 3 or 4 seed significantly increases our chances to advance beyond the first and second round of NCAA tournament.

6) Many are hoping to make the Sweet 16, but I think Iowa could realistically make it to the Elite 8 given we are battle tested in the Best conference top to bottom.

7) Would that not be a “DREAM SEASON”???

Again, Iowa does need to keep winning, but we need several teams to keep losing also!

WHO GONNA CHECK ME, BOO??

Reactions: the24fan
If we only finish 1 game ahead of minny, then this will hardly qualify as a "dream season" lol.
Thanks for playing though lil fella!.

Read my last post, Fella. Thanks for losing.

#WINNING

1) It is highly unlikely that Iowa will win the rest of its remaining games. That’s why we NEED teams that are only 1-2 games BELOW (MN/OSU) and ABOVE us (WI and MD) to lose.

2) Teams that are only below us by 1 game, which MN was when this was posted, could easily finish AHEAD of us. That would mean a likely 5th or 6th seed in the B1G tournament and not receiving a double bye. This significantly LOWERS Iowa’s chances of getting to the finals or winning the tournament.

3) Given that MN BEAT us in our only meeting, they would get the higher seed if we ended up tied. Therefore, their loss to Nebraska was very important in preventing this scenario.

4) Winning the tournament, which is realistic with the right match-ups, would likely propel Iowa to a 3rd or 4th seed in the NCAA.

5) A 3 or 4 seed significantly increases our chances to advance beyond the first and second round of NCAA tournament.

6) Many are hoping to make the Sweet 16, but I think Iowa could realistically make it to the Elite 8 given we are battle tested in the Best conference top to bottom.

Again, Iowa does need to keep winning, but we need several teams to keep losing also!

Pretty much spot on sir....
Good post

Reactions: wbrhawkeye

1-it is even LESS likely that minny wins their games-they play 3 of the top 4 teams, we play 1
2-Minny has pretty much zero chance of finishing top 4 even if they did win that game
3-again, we are gonna tie minny if we have a "dream season"....nope
4-ok
5-significantly? compared to what seed? compared to what a 5 or 6 ? I disagree.
6-Sure they can. That all depends on if they come hungry to play d and can shoot the ball well. Neither of those have anything to do with minny losing a random game lol.
7-Dream season? Maybe, can you tell me about the rest of the season? Dream march???.......Hell yeah!
If Iowa keeps winning, we don't need others to lose ;)

How's that "boo"?

1-it is even LESS likely that minny wins their games-they play 3 of the top 4 teams, we play 1
2-Minny has pretty much zero chance of finishing top 4 even if they did win that game
3-again, we are gonna tie minny if we have a "dream season"....nope
4-ok
5-significantly? compared to what seed? compared to what a 5 or 6 ? I disagree.
6-Sure they can. That all depends on if they come hungry to play d and can shoot the ball well. Neither of those have anything to do with minny losing a random game lol.
7-Dream season? Maybe, can you tell me about the rest of the season? Dream march???.......Hell yeah!
If Iowa keeps winning, we don't need others to lose ;)

How's that "boo"?

1) MN was only 1 game behind us when playing NE. Now they are on a 3 game losing streak and further behind us thanks to that loss. You can’t assume anything in this league. Iowa could drop the next few as good as all the teams are.

2) If they won that game and Iowa didn’t have the miracle come back you would be singing a different tune, fella.

3) I know you are slow but the dream season of winning a B1G tournament, making the NCAA and advancing to an Elite 8 IS predicated on how Iowa finishes the season compared to MN and all teams close to us for that 4th seed. Having 2 byes greatly improves our chances to win the tournament.

4) Good. You got something at least.

5) if you don’t think getting a 3rd or 4th seed doesn’t give us a much higher ceiling to win a Sweet 16 match-up and get to the Elite 8, you should take a stats class or review the history of the tournament.

6) See number 1 and 2. Teams close to us need to lose in case Iowa doesn’t win. It has everything to do with our final standing and seeding. Capiche?

7) Oh. So we don’t need WI and MD to lose?? We can jump them simply by winning? Lol Girl, bye!

NEXT!

1) MN was only 1 game behind us when playing NE. Now they are on a 3 game losing streak and further behind us thanks to that loss. You can’t assume anything in this league. Iowa could drop the next few as good as all the teams are.

2) If they won that game and Iowa didn’t have the miracle come back you would be singing a different tune, fella.

3) I know you are slow but the dream season of winning a B1G tournament, making the NCAA and advancing to an Elite 8 IS predicated on how Iowa finishes the season compared to MN and all teams close to us for that 4th seed. Having 2 byes greatly improves our chances to win the tournament.

5) if you don’t think getting a 3rd or 4th seed doesn’t give us a much higher ceiling to win a Sweet 16 match-up and get to the Elite 8, you should take a stats class or review the history of the tournament.

6) See number 1 and 2. Teams close to us need to lose in case Iowa doesn’t win. It has everything to do with our final standing and seeding. Capiche?

7) Oh. So we don’t need WI and MD to lose?? We can jump them simply by winning? Lol Girl, bye!

NEXT!
1. incorrect already, they were 2 back and about to be 3 after we beat ru! oh and I will assume it :) this is a "dream season"....clearly we can't lose to ru in a dream season can we?
2. IF IF IF, what are you a braskan? lmao
3.again there is VERY LITTLE difference between a 4 and a 5. our "dream season" couldn't result in a 12 seed or something. at least not in MY dream.
4.thanks "boo"
5.AGAIN, I don't see MUCH diff between 4/5. Do 4s do better, sure......they are probably usually a little better team lol(they weren't given a 4 seed because some other team in their conf lost a random game). minny losing didn't move us up any in the ncca tourney or in the b1g tourney.......
6.What are you talking about? If we don't win a bunch of games, then we aren't gonna get a higher seeding, even if minny got beat in a random game lol. we need to WIN for that to happen.....PERIOD! Hello? You listening?
7.Nope if we win out they don't need to lose another game for us to pass them. OBVIOUSLY they would need to lose to us for us to win the games. We just need mi to take 1st and to sweep md.
They have to EARN their seed, it is not gonna be given because some other team got beat......

Bye felicia!

NEXT!
1. incorrect already, they were 2 back and about to be 3 after we beat ru! oh and I will assume it :) this is a "dream season"....clearly we can't lose to ru in a dream season can we?
2. IF IF IF, what are you a braskan? lmao
3.again there is VERY LITTLE difference between a 4 and a 5. our "dream season" couldn't result in a 12 seed or something. at least not in MY dream.
4.thanks "boo"
5.AGAIN, I don't see MUCH diff between 4/5. Do 4s do better, sure......they are probably usually a little better team lol(they weren't given a 4 seed because some other team in their conf lost a random game). minny losing didn't move us up any in the ncca tourney or in the b1g tourney.......
6.What are you talking about? If we don't win a bunch of games, then we aren't gonna get a higher seeding, even if minny got beat in a random game lol. we need to WIN for that to happen.....PERIOD! Hello? You listening?
7.Nope if we win out they don't need to lose another game for us to pass them. OBVIOUSLY they would need to lose to us for us to win the games. We just need mi to take 1st and to sweep md.
They have to EARN their seed, it is not gonna be given because some other team got beat......

Bye felicia!

Just stop, Clown. If you are too dumb to understand that teams closely behind and above us need to lose AND iowa needs to take care of business I can’t help you. The entire POINT is we need both things to occur to better position Iowa.

You tried it! Now poof, be gone!

And the Clown with a big mouth who is all talk and can’t back shi$ up usually gets curb stomped. BLOOP!

That makes absolutely no sense.

I really don't think anybody is wrong here. You're arguing that it's better for teams competing with us for position in the B1G standing to lose. I don't think anyone disagrees. The counterpoint is that, despite our loss to them, Minn is small potatoes, and if we're really looking at a "dream season," a team like that is hardly likely to interfere.

So switch to decaf and let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
And the Clown with a big mouth who is all talk and can’t back shi$ up usually gets curb stomped. BLOOP!

I really don't think anybody is wrong here. You're arguing that it's better for teams competing with us for position in the B1G standing to lose. I don't think anyone disagrees. The counterpoint is that, despite our loss to them, Minn is small potatoes, and if we're really looking at a "dream season," a team like that is hardly likely to interfere.

Lol. Look at my original post. All I said was Yes! Nebraska beat MN and now we just need to take care of business to keep our dream season alive. I was not implying this was already a dream season. I was stating that it keeps a potential dream season alive because I think with the right bounces we could win the Big Ten tournament and advance far in the NCAA tournament.

Therefore, you did stir the pot originally and then the Clown jumped in with some gibberish.

Lol. Look at my original post. All I said was Yes! Nebraska beat MN and now we just need to take care of business to keep our dream season alive. I was not implying this was already a dream season. I was stating that it keeps a potential dream season alive because I think with the right bounces we could win the Big Ten tournament and advance far in the NCAA tournament.

Therefore, you did stir the pot originally and then the Clown jumped in with some gibberish.

Again, I made a valid counterpoint. If that's what you mean by "stir the pot," then you are simply thin-skinned, and that is why this thread turned out the way it did. Good day.

Just stop, Clown. If you are too dumb to understand that teams closely behind and above us need to lose AND iowa needs to take care of business I can’t help you. The entire POINT is we need both things to occur to better position Iowa.

We have two totally different meaning of "dream season". "dream seasons" are EARNED not handed to you......

Amen!

We have two totally different meaning of "dream season". "dream seasons" are EARNED not handed to you......

Intelligence is EARNED not handed to you. Lol Bye Clown!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT