ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really grinds my gears?

Today's opponent: South Alabama
FSU has Alabama State later in the season, who is obviously scheduled as a certain win. The Jags of S. Alabama are a coference opponent that App must play. There is a difference.

Last edited:
Appalachian State is the #21 team in the country.

:(:(:(:(:(

We moved to Charlotte in 2007 a couple months before App St. beat Michigan. I hadn't really noticed App St much and while I knew they were in NC, didn't really know where. The Sunday after they beat Michigan, we went furniture shopping in Hickory, NC, which is just a stone's throw from Boone and I was suddenly noticing App St. gear everywhere. Over the years, I've realized I know a ton of App St. grads, my son has played in baseball tournaments at their facility and we've been around the campus many times. My kids could do worse than to go to App St.

All that said, I do need Iowa to stay ranked ahead of App St.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Appalachian State is the #21 team in the country.

:(:(:(:(:(
Wow, thinking about App reminded me of a historical parallel in ways to another school that in the 50s & 60s was thought of as a smaller regional team that did not deserve a seat at the big boy table.
Just like App, the biggest school in their state would not put them on the schedule. Both schools persevered in spite of these barriers.

Wow, thinking about App reminded me of a historical parallel in ways to another school that in the 50s & 60s was thought of as a smaller regional team that did not deserve a seat at the big boy table.
Just like App, the biggest school in their state would not put them on the schedule. Both schools persevered in spite of these barriers.

That team you're talking about became an independent in order to schedule big boy teams and make an impression on voters.

I don't think that's possible today.

I bet it will be HOT! HOT! HOT!
Got me one of these:

ASU-Mountaineers.jpg

That team you're talking about became an independent in order to schedule big boy teams and make an impression on voters.

I don't think that's possible today.
I agree with your thoughts there, so App is slogging up thru the available channels.
S. Alabama is a Sunbelt Conference game (yeah, a smaller conference), but the Mounties are 6-0 at this point, with a victory over UNC in Chapel Hill being the best win. They will play USC in Columbia later this season. Let’s see how they fare against the fighting Muschamps in order to gauge their status.
BTW, the two Carolinas are lesser versions of big boy teams, but are in the category. Michigan and Penn State agree.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT