ADVERTISEMENT

Youngstown State staffer with an assist on a tackle of UNI player out of bounds

Sorry, I may have missed a communication but why is FCS playing in Feb/March? No fall season?

Nice punishment, go sit in the box. Climate controlled press box that is.

Dumb move by that coach. He should use my trick in grabbing the two smallest players by you and putting them in front of you like a shield.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Maybe my eyes just aren't what they used to be, but I didn't see that Johnson intentionally hit him. He was standing in one place and the problem was that the YSU defender hit Quan late out of bounds, redirecting his momentum toward Johnson at the last second. Johnson appeared to try to move to his left to avoid getting hit and stuck his elbow out as a defensive move.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Maybe my eyes just aren't what they used to be, but I didn't see that Johnson intentionally hit him. He was standing in one place and the problem was that the YSU defender hit Quan late out of bounds, redirecting his momentum toward Johnson at the last second. Johnson appeared to try to move to his left to avoid getting hit and stuck his elbow out as a defensive move.
He made no effort to get out of the way, and you can see that he lowered his shoulder and leaned into the hit. There is no way that was unintentional.
It should have been a late hit on the YS defender and a person foul on the bench. 30 yards in penalties and ejection for the”staffer.”

Post #13 should clear up your confusion.

He made no effort to get out of the way, and you can see that he lowered his shoulder and leaned into the hit. There is no way that was unintentional.
It should have been a late hit on the YS defender and a person foul on the bench. 30 yards in penalties and ejection for the”staffer.”
On further review it also looks like he puts his leg out as well. The guy should be fired.

Reactions: 7 Dunks
Come on now.

Post #13 should clear up your confusion.
On further review it also looks like he puts his leg out as well. The guy should be fired.
I disgree with the lot of you and I shall defend my position by breaking it down like the Zapruder film.

In this first frame, Quan is headed toward the sideline. The defender is still about 3 yards away but is closing fast. Note Johnson's position relative to the white line that extends out from the boundary. His right foot is almost even with the white line. His feet are shoulder width apart, his hands are in his pockets, and he is standing completely upright. At this point there is no reason for him to think he is going to get hit.

vzKtcBq.jpg

In this second frame, Quan clearly is completely out of bounds. The defender has not yet made contact. Notice Johnson's feet. His right foot is still in the exact same place but, sensing that there may be a collision, his left foot has started to move back and to the left. Away from the potential point of contact. Back...and to the left. He is still standing completely upright with his hands still in his pockets.

GaKQo45.jpg

In this third frame, the defender has now hit Quan out of bounds (should have been a 15-yard penalty), altering Quan's momentum directly toward Johnson. Note that Johnson has now moved his right foot backward in an attempt to avoid the collision. He appears to be bracing to protect himself from inevitable collision.

yHPjsx0.jpg

This final frame shows the actual impact. Note that Johnson's leg is not extended, as Tom Paris suggested. In fact, it is still moving backward, away from the collision. His shoulder is not lowered. He is simply bracing in a defensive posture to protect himself from the impact.

kBGRJDS.jpg

In less than a second, Johnson went from having no reason to believe he was going to be involved in a collision to being involved in a collision. He did nothing aggressive or malicious. He simply protected himself.

It should have been a 15-yard penalty on the player for a late hit out of bounds, but Johnson did nothing wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
I disgree with the lot of you and I shall defend my position by breaking it down like the Zapruder film.

In this first frame, Quan is headed toward the sideline. The defender is still about 3 yards away but is closing fast. Note Johnson's position relative to the white line that extends out from the boundary. His right foot is almost even with the white line. His feet are shoulder width apart, his hands are in his pockets, and he is standing completely upright. At this point there is no reason for him to think he is going to get hit.

vzKtcBq.jpg

In this second frame, Quan clearly is completely out of bounds. The defender has not yet made contact. Notice Johnson's feet. His right foot is still in the exact same place but, sensing that there may be a collision, his left foot has started to move back and to the left. Away from the potential point of contact. Back...and to the left. He is still standing completely upright with his hands still in his pockets.

GaKQo45.jpg

In this third frame, the defender has now hit Quan out of bounds (should have been a 15-yard penalty), altering Quan's momentum directly toward Johnson. Note that Johnson has now moved his right foot backward in an attempt to avoid the collision. He appears to be bracing to protect himself from inevitable collision.

yHPjsx0.jpg

This final frame shows the actual impact. Note that Johnson's leg is not extended, as Tom Paris suggested. In fact, it is still moving backward, away from the collision. His shoulder is not lowered. He is simply bracing in a defensive posture to protect himself from the impact.

kBGRJDS.jpg

In less than a second, Johnson went from having no reason to believe he was going to be involved in a collision to being involved in a collision. He did nothing aggressive or malicious. He simply protected himself.

It should have been a 15-yard penalty on the player for a late hit out of bounds, but Johnson did nothing wrong.
Oddly enough Keith Hernandez and Roger McDowell were at the game.

vzKtcBq.jpg

GaKQo45.jpg

yHPjsx0.jpg

kBGRJDS.jpg

People like you are why eye witnesses are worse than useless. ;)

link

Watch the clearer video, from a better angle.
Nevermind his apology...

Reactions: ping72 and SB_SB
People like you are why eye witnesses are worse than useless. ;)

link

Watch the clearer video, from a better angle.
Nevermind his apology...
That angle sucks because it was shot from the opposite sideline and makes it look like Johnson tried to trip him even though he clearly didn't. Their legs never even made contact. Johnson's leg was moving away from the collision. Look at the still images I posted, particularly the fourth one. The point of impact was the shoulder/upper arm area.

Johnson apologized because the university told him to, probably because sometimes in these situations it's easier to just issue an apology and move on.

That angle sucks because it was shot from the opposite sideline and makes it look like Johnson tried to trip him even though he clearly didn't. Their legs never even made contact. Johnson's leg was moving away from the collision. Look at the still images I posted, particularly the fourth one. The point of impact was the shoulder/upper arm area.

Johnson apologized because the university told him to, probably because sometimes in these situations it's easier to just issue an apology and move on.

To the rest of us it's clear he seeks contact and that's the issue.

He should have done this:

k7zUvNV.png

He took a short step back and lowered his shoulder. The other angle shows he launched slightly into the runner. Had he been trying to get out of the way, he would have taken a larger step back and drawn his upper body away from the contact, not into it. After the contact, he made no reaction at all that he just collided with a guy. He tried to act like nothing happened. He knew what he did and he tried to hide it.

vzKtcBq.jpg

GaKQo45.jpg

yHPjsx0.jpg

kBGRJDS.jpg

lol

Also notice the reaction of #18 for YS after the play. He looks over at the coach like "Damn Dude!"

To the rest of us it's clear he seeks contact and that's the issue.
If he was "seeking" contact then why was he clearly moving away from the contact?

The defender redirected Quan's momentum straight toward Johnson at the last possible moment. It's completely ludicrous to suggest that Johnson went from casually standing in one place with his hands in his pockets to "I'm gonna knock that fvcker out!" in a fraction of a second.

The real question is why isn't ESPN showing these games?

ESPN App is. They were all streaming live on Saturday and yesterday. College basketball probably gets more ratings than FCS football.

If he was "seeking" contact then why was he clearly moving away from the contact?

The defender redirected Quan's momentum straight toward Johnson at the last possible moment. It's completely ludicrous to suggest that Johnson went from casually standing in one place with his hands in his pockets to "I'm gonna knock that fvcker out!" in a fraction of a second.
He was not moving away from the contact. He leaned into it. He positioned himself to deliver the hit, and he leaned into it. If it was truly an accident, why didn’t he react like he just collided with a guy?

FIFY. Stop with the whiny white male Karen stuff. You're embarrassing the rest of us.
Nope. Just because you don’t like my opinion you don’t need to get all shitty about it. Just move along.

did you know a black cop executed a white woman in a bathrobe a couple years ago and their were no protests. Race matters both ways, not just the way you want it to. In both cases the officer was wrong and likely will see prison. The public reactions were quite different.

Last edited:
Nope. Just because you don’t like my opinion you don’t need to get all shitty about it. Just move along.
Nah. I'm gonna get shitty about it. I'm sick of the white whine about victimization and double-standards where none exist. Not saying they don't, but this is a stupid example and these examples are getting far too frequent.

vzKtcBq.jpg

GaKQo45.jpg

yHPjsx0.jpg

kBGRJDS.jpg

If you want to figure out what he was doing with his feet go throw a punch. He was bracing for a collision, that he was about to initiate.

This is what I saw as well.
Their. legs. never. touched.

I don’t know how to make that any clearer to you guys. Johnson’s legs were moving backward, away from Quan. The point of contact was Quan’s shoulder and Johnson’s upper arm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT