ADVERTISEMENT

Your least favorite sports cliches

“Our game.” Doesn’t matter the sport, but just because you played whatever game at a high level Mr./Mrs. announcer person doesn’t make it yours.

Reactions: Rudolph
Seems like they pick a term each season to beat into the ground. A few years back they were always asking is certain players were "elite". Then it was all about the "highest point" as mentioned earlier in the thread. This year the hot phrase seems to be "getting home" and I hear it about 15 times a game it seems.

Lunch pale, coach on the field, hard hat, gritty, high fb iq- which is used for any white wr type player ie Chrebet, Largent, Welker, Edelmen, etc.
Those guys are “possession receivers”. As opposed to (evidently) “turnover receivers”, who are fast enough to “take the top off the defense” but can’t catch for shit.

Those guys are “possession receivers”. As opposed to (evidently) “turnover receivers”, who are fast enough to “take the top off the defense” but can’t catch for shit.
That's a polite way of calling them white and slow

Reactions: LesClaypool
When anyone refers to players in a plural form. "Then you have your Brett Favres, and your John Elways..." There's only one Brett Favre, and only one John Elway.

Reactions: mstp1992
Not a fan of every sports broadcaster talking about story lines. "There are some great story lines in the upcoming Georgia-Alabama game." When they say stuff like that, get ready for some lame story about how the starting QB used to date the opposing coach's niece's best friend. The only story lines I care about are the lines of scrimmage.

Reactions: TheCainer
It’s not a sports cliche, but “Houston…you have a problem” every damn time one of the Houston teams are down in a series or game is the most annoying thing

Reactions: DFSNOLE
There are still a couple of outdoor stadiums that run east-west (Oklahoma State and Georgia come to mind). But, having them situated north-south makes a lot of sense.
Why? I’m apparently missing an obvious point.

It’s never once dawned on me to think which way a field was headed, nor is it Intuitive (at least to me) that it would be North-South.

Reactions: runkpanole
This is a fun thread. I don't think anything said in this thread bothers me and I've been trying to figure out if there is any that bother me.

It's not a cliche but I hate when they use the words "shuffle pass". It's a shovel pass, not shuffle. I know shuffle has become acceptable but it's still wrong.

Why? I’m apparently missing an obvious point.

It’s never once dawned on me to think which way a field was headed, nor is it Intuitive (at least to me) that it would be North-South.
Doak heads east and west. Never thought it made a difference either.

Not technically a legit term, but I never again wanna think or hear anything about boats and the steerage of them. Ever. One day of that shit was enough enough.

Reactions: hawkbirch
I would think you'd want the field going north/south so the sun isn't directly in the eyes of one side.

Reactions: mstp1992
When they use the term "unanswered" points to describe any string of consecutive points.

If a football game is 10-10 at the half, and then the game ends 37-10, then yes there were 27 points scored unanswered.

But if the other team scores at all, those aren't unanswered. A game that's 10-10, and then 37-10, and then the winning team holds on 37-21, does not feature "27 points unanswered in the third quarter."

It's especially annoying in basketball, where it's almost never applicable. A 12 to 0 scoring run wasn't 12 points "unanswered" unless the opponent is shut out the rest of the way. Because once the other team scores at all, then there's the answer. It is, at most, 10 points unanswered, because at least the last bucket was answered, right?

It can be used while it's happening, as in "FSU has scored 12 points unanswered", but once the other team scores, it's been answered. It doesn't belong in recaps or game summaries (unless the half or game did end without the other team scoring at all).

I will admit that I am the only person I have ever met who is bothered by this, and when I point it out, nobody agrees with me.

This is a fun thread. I don't think anything said in this thread bothers me and I've been trying to figure out if there is any that bother me.

It's not a cliche but I hate when they use the words "shuffle pass". It's a shovel pass, not shuffle. I know shuffle has become acceptable but it's still wrong.
I used to think it was shuttle pass. lol

I used to think it was shuttle pass. lol
Don't I feel dumb. I've always said "cuddle pass."

No wonder those kids always beat me up.

y0wbwV.gif

Reactions: runkpanole
When they use the term "unanswered" points to describe any string of consecutive points.

If a football game is 10-10 at the half, and then the game ends 37-10, then yes there were 27 points scored unanswered.

But if the other team scores at all, those aren't unanswered. A game that's 10-10, and then 37-10, and then the winning team holds on 37-21, does not feature "27 points unanswered in the third quarter."

It's especially annoying in basketball, where it's almost never applicable. A 12 to 0 scoring run wasn't 12 points "unanswered" unless the opponent is shut out the rest of the way. Because once the other team scores at all, then there's the answer. It is, at most, 10 points unanswered, because at least the last bucket was answered, right?

It can be used while it's happening, as in "FSU has scored 12 points unanswered", but once the other team scores, it's been answered. It doesn't belong in recaps or game summaries (unless the half or game did end without the other team scoring at all).

I will admit that I am the only person I have ever met who is bothered by this, and when I point it out, nobody agrees with me.
Hey! That's a good one. I agree 100 percent.

Reactions: Nole Lou
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

While this may be true there is another side to this coin as well.

Hardworking talented people pisspound less talented people.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Every opposing coach and /or commentators only reason why Iowa can beat any team is because they
“shot them selves in the foot”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT