ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube TV 4k

theiacowtipper

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2004
I'm a tech dufus. I get it. No issues with that. I'm thinking of upgrading my YouTube TV to 4k for the Super Bowl. How do I know if my TV will support that? Is the only way looking at the manual, if I can find that? We got it probably two years ago so I would assume it supports 4K. FWIW I stream directly to the app on the TV, not through Roku or anything like that.

I'm a tech dufus. I get it. No issues with that. I'm thinking of upgrading my YouTube TV to 4k for the Super Bowl. How do I know if my TV will support that? Is the only way looking at the manual, if I can find that? We got it probably two years ago so I would assume it supports 4K. FWIW I stream directly to the app on the TV, not through Roku or anything like that.

Unless your TV is 55"-60" or larger, 4K resolution isn't gonna make that much difference over 1080/regular HD.

Reactions: General Tso

Google the model # printed on the back of the TV

Or, go into the menu/onscreen setup

main-qimg-a350c1fd1cf6f1fd498b57dd20e1691b-pjlq

Here's a generic chart of screen size vs viewing distances, and whether your eyeballs will be able to discern a difference between normal 1080 HD or 4K (Ultra HD).

So, get out your tape-measure and see how far away your couch is from your TV. If you have a 60" screen, and sit 7' or more away, you will not see a discernable difference in clarity. If you have a 70" or larger screen, you can be 9' or more from the TV, and you'll see a difference.

Charts like these are based upon human eye resolution; and it's only with the larger TV sets that you get any real advantage from the higher resolution.

Most people are 6'-8' or further from their TVs. Which means 4K only becomes significantly clearer for 50" to 65" or larger TVs.

tv must be 4k and the content must be shot in 4k. Not everything is.
for youtube this season FS1/Fox and NBC had some 4K games. Outside that not much for games. Not sure who owns the rights to the superbowl. If it's CBS, there wouldn't be 4k to my knowledge on youtube tv

I have 4k from youtube - but not for the 4k programming. You're allowed unlimited instances/devices streaming at the same time. I have my parents on my account and they tend to leave fox news on every tv in the house at the same time. It was causing issues.
I hardly every tune in to the 4k broadcast as the difference isn't that noticeable. Even on a 65" screen.

tv must be 4k and the content must be shot in 4k. Not everything is.
for youtube this season FS1/Fox and NBC had some 4K games. Outside that not much for games. Not sure who owns the rights to the superbowl. If it's CBS, there wouldn't be 4k to my knowledge on youtube tv

FauxK

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Not sure if the CBS sports app works like Fox, but I don't have the 4K addon for YTTV. But I can get sports in 4K by using the Fox Sports app and then logging into that with my YTTV credentials.

Reactions: VodkaSam
main-qimg-a350c1fd1cf6f1fd498b57dd20e1691b-pjlq

Here's a generic chart of screen size vs viewing distances, and whether your eyeballs will be able to discern a difference between normal 1080 HD or 4K (Ultra HD).

So, get out your tape-measure and see how far away your couch is from your TV. If you have a 60" screen, and sit 7' or more away, you will not see a discernable difference in clarity. If you have a 70" or larger screen, you can be 9' or more from the TV, and you'll see a difference.

Charts like these are based upon human eye resolution; and it's only with the larger TV sets that you get any real advantage from the higher resolution.

Most people are 6'-8' or further from their TVs. Which means 4K only becomes significantly clearer for 50" to 65" or larger TVs.

Yeah but who has 50” or smaller TVs anymore other than retro gamers and Boomers holding on to yet one more useless and worthless antique?

The only place I have TVs smaller than 50” are my CRTs in my retro game room. There I have a 40“ Sony Trinitron (largest CRT released to retail stores I believe and it weighs about as much as a Honda Accord), a 36” Sony Trinitron, a 15” Hot Wheels Themed CRT, a 13” Batman Themed CRT, a 13” Pirates of the Caribbean Themed CRT, a 13” Transparent Prison Inmate CRT, a 13” Spongebob Themed Tv and a 9” JVC Videosphere (looks like an old astronaut helmet). But all of those old CRTs are hooked up to PlayStation 1 and older game consoles. My largest tv in my retro game room isn’t even the 40” Sony Trinitron, it’s a 60” Samsung Plasma where I have PS4, PS3, XBox 360s and other newish consoles hooked up. In my main living room which has my PS5, Nintendo Switch, Analogue NT and Analogue SuperNT set up I’ve got a 77” 4K OLED tv (I thought about the 83 or 92 but couldn’t rationalize spending the extra several k$$$$$). In my main bedroom I’ve got a 65” 4K LCD, in the primary guest bedroom I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD, on the backyard patio I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD and in the spare guest room I’ve got a 55” 1080p LCD.

In my main bedroom I’ve got a 65” 4K LCD, in the primary guest bedroom I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD, on the backyard patio I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD and in the spare guest room I’ve got a 55” 1080p LCD.

...and if you're sitting >8' from any of those, 4K is a waste of streaming bandwidth.

Which I why I'd said 70" or larger are the sets most folks will see a difference with higher resolution.

Yeah but who has 50” or smaller TVs anymore other than retro gamers and Boomers holding on to yet one more useless and worthless antique?

The only place I have TVs smaller than 50” are my CRTs in my retro game room. There I have a 40“ Sony Trinitron (largest CRT released to retail stores I believe and it weighs about as much as a Honda Accord), a 36” Sony Trinitron, a 15” Hot Wheels Themed CRT, a 13” Batman Themed CRT, a 13” Pirates of the Caribbean Themed CRT, a 13” Transparent Prison Inmate CRT, a 13” Spongebob Themed Tv and a 9” JVC Videosphere (looks like an old astronaut helmet). But all of those old CRTs are hooked up to PlayStation 1 and older game consoles. My largest tv in my retro game room isn’t even the 40” Sony Trinitron, it’s a 60” Samsung Plasma where I have PS4, PS3, XBox 360s and other newish consoles hooked up. In my main living room which has my PS5, Nintendo Switch, Analogue NT and Analogue SuperNT set up I’ve got a 77” 4K OLED tv (I thought about the 83 or 92 but couldn’t rationalize spending the extra several k$$$$$). In my main bedroom I’ve got a 65” 4K LCD, in the primary guest bedroom I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD, on the backyard patio I’ve got a 60” 4K LCD and in the spare guest room I’ve got a 55” 1080p LCD.
I just bought a 50” 4K tv a few weeks ago. I didn’t want my tv to dominate the space I was putting it in.

Pretty much the only recent TVs that are NOT 4k these days are the small ones. Like 32" models.

I just bought a 50” 4K tv a few weeks ago. I didn’t want my tv to dominate the space I was putting it in.

I’m the opposite, I want it to wallpaper the wall it’s on. In the main living room it’s definitely the central focal point facing away from the two main couches. Hanging above it are three small watercolors of the Florida keys coastline and to the left and right of it are bamboo and succulent on top of living edge cypress stools/stands. To the right side of the room is my useless in Florida but mandatory for some reason fireplace with some of my antique leather book collection over it and a large Florida brackish river coastline oil painting. Behind is the accent wall with a darker blue green aqua color and three larger oil paintings all Florida beach themed. Looking to the left from the main couches you can see my 150 gallon reef tank along the wall separated by a large bay window from the tv. And directly to the left is the open area into my kitchen separated by a bar table that has a 40 gallon long freshwater aquarium with open top that has living bamboo coming out about 2-3 ft over the lid of the aquarium. Everything in the living room is a blend of two ideas 1) pure white furniture with an “Apple” design aesthetic accented in small doses with a medium aqua color I added myself to highlight spots and 2) light “honey” woods and living edge cedar or mangrove woods with a Japanese and/or Swedish spa feel.

I would never take pictures of my home and what’s in it and paste them on the internet for security reasons but I don’t mind talking about it.

Last edited:
Unless your TV is 55"-60" or larger, 4K resolution isn't gonna make that much difference over 1080/regular HD.
In my experience, that is not true, depending on the tv. While our TVs are larger than that, there can be a dramatic difference. When we were watching the world cup for US/Netherlands (I take full responsibility for the loss as that was the first match I tuned into) the regular feed looked like a different game than the 4k feed. Perhaps it was the orange jerseys that the non-4k feed was having trouble with, but the 4k was spectacular, despite the result. I would say if you have a good 4k tv, preferable OLED, there is marked difference. With that being said, if you have a bad 4k tv, the regular feed actually looks better. One of our tvs does not handle the 4k very well, and it is a lot dimmer and less dynamic looking that regular HD.

Reactions: Chuck C
I’m the opposite, I want it to wallpaper the wall it’s on. In the main living room it’s definitely the central focal point facing away from the two main couches. Hanging above it are three small watercolors of the Florida keys coastline and to the left and right of it are bamboo and succulent on top of living edge cypress stools/stands. To the right side of the room is my useless in Florida but mandatory for some reason fireplace with some of my antique leather book collection over it and a large Florida brackish river coastline oil painting. Behind is the accent wall with a darker blue green aqua color and three larger oil paintings all Florida beach themed. Looking to the left from the main couches you can see my 150 gallon reef tank along the wall separated by a large bay window from the tv. And directly to the left is the open area into my kitchen separated by a bar table that has a 40 gallon long freshwater aquarium with open top that has living bamboo coming out about 2-3 ft over the lid of the aquarium. Everything in the living room is a blend of two ideas 1) pure white furniture with an “Apple” design aesthetic accented in small doses with a medium aqua color I added myself to highlight spots and 2) light “honey” woods and living edge cedar or mangrove woods with a Japanese and/or Swedish spa feel.

I would never take pictures of my home and what’s in it and paste them on the internet for security reasons but I don’t mind talking about talking about it.
we have a uhhhhh.. brown couch, and a couple end tables. Tons of baby toys laying around. Some local art. Pretty minimal.

I would never take pictures of my home and what’s in it and paste them on the internet for security reasons but I don’t mind talking about talking about it.
Hell yes. We have a 75 above the fireplace that is on the clock. The picture is horrible compared to an OLED we have elsewhere, and it is doing some weird shit where the feed gets all wonky with pixelation and off colors. We have to unplug everything and plug it back in, and its good for another day or two. I will replace it soon with the 83 OLED.

I've never tried the above-the-fireplace placement. Doesn't that viewing angle make your neck hurt?
No. But, my typical seating position is probably 10 to 15 feet away from the screen, so the angle isn't that severe. When we have a bunch of people over, I take one of the worse spots closer to the tv where I have to crane my neck a bit, but it doesn't really bother me.

$20/month for a few months during football season for 2-3 college games a weekend on the 85" tv, hell yes. That included 2-3 iowa games this year??? well worth it. It's sometimes hard to watch HD sports after 4k.
It helps to have good high speed internet and a wired ethernet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT