ADVERTISEMENT

26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Wrestling, Men’s Basketball, Football, Baseball, Men’s track & field

I'm no lawyer, but it says a loss of one year of eligibility. So if you if you have a red shirt or medical or olympic shirt, you can not take that and return next year. The loss isn't a physical year, it's a year of eligibility. So all seniors get the death penalty.

• Angry
Reactions: el dub and Iron Doc
So is the NCAA going to check into any other schools now, or just leave it up to them to self report? Looks like Iowa and ISU are going to fall on the sword for everyone else. I'm sure glad they piddled around for 3 or 4 months to change basically nothing. Dangle the carrot for awhile, then snatch it away. Such horseshit, but at least they can move forward now.

I'm no lawyer, but it says a loss of one year of eligibility. So if you if you have a red shirt or medical or olympic shirt, you can not take that and return next year. The loss isn't a physical year, it's a year of eligibility. So all seniors get the death penalty.

This is correct.

So is the NCAA going to check into any other schools now,

The NCAA didn’t check Iowa, either.

That's the way I understand it too. So even though Assad still has a redshirt available, he can't just use it through the suspension and come back next year.

Where it gets murky for me is if Nelson truly does have a chance at a medical hardship, which would give an additional year of eligibility after this year

My understanding from compliance is that while there won't be a death sentence for the guys involved, they are all going to lose this year with no chance of saving the year of eligibility. In a nutshell, the seniors are done.
It’s pretty much what compliance told the coaches and athletes last week to expect is what happened.

I was still holding out hope that my information was not accurate and the ncaa would be better than this, but at least Jim Harbaugh is going to be ok.

The full text of the tweet below:

More quotes from Kirk Ferentz tonight on the Noah Shannon situation, after he was ruled ineligible for the season (his career) today by the NCAA.

“The humanistic part of it is probably the most disturbing. My takeaway on this whole thing is I’ve long thought the NCAA is just a very big, cumbersome organization that really has a hard time reacting to anything in real time. ... And that's really evident in our sport.”

“Our world has changed so much, and I don't think they're taking that into account. He didn't commit a crime, didn't bet on an Iowa football game. Punishment, yes. And he’s been very straightforward with his remarks (and) very cooperative with everybody that spoke with him. I don't know what else you can do. It just seems like it's really a very dramatic penalty for something that I'll predict two years from now, it's going to be looked at (as) not that big a deal. Well, let me rephrase that. Two years? Maybe five with this organization.”

“It's history now. And we'll move forward, and Noah will move forward. He’s a great young guy. He is still part of our team. I have such a great respect for him. He's a really good football player, but more importantly, he's a great kid and he's done everything he could to get back and ready. My first thoughts are with him and his family, it’s just very disappointing. But life goes on. It won't be the first bucket of crap he's got to deal with.”

It’s pretty much what compliance told the coaches and athletes last week to expect is what happened.

I was still holding out hope that my information was not accurate and the ncaa would be better than this, but at least Jim Harbaugh is going to be ok.

Gary Dolphin on the KF radio show tonight said that Tom Brands told him that 7 wrestlers were involved; I thought it was these 6:

Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad
Cobe Siebrecht
Cullan Schriever
Patrick Kennedy

2 questions:

(1) Who's the 7th?

(2) All 7 will be suspended for the entire 2023-2024 season, correct?

So is the NCAA going to check into any other schools now, or just leave it up to them to self report? Looks like Iowa and ISU are going to fall on the sword for everyone else. I'm sure glad they piddled around for 3 or 4 months to change basically nothing. Dangle the carrot for awhile, then snatch it away. Such horseshit, but at least they can move forward now.
Everyone was so giddy happy when gambling on NCAA event became legal in Iowa. This was going to be the result. All Iowa coaches can be blamed somewhat for not harping to the athletes to shun gambling. They didn't get the message home.

Everyone was so giddy happy when gambling on NCAA event became legal in Iowa. This was going to be the result. All Iowa coaches can be blamed somewhat for not harping to the athletes to shun gambling. They didn't get the message home.
You plainly said on the football board only Noah is to blame. But when it comes to wrestling the coaches are also to blame?

Reactions: HawkeyePA
You plainly said on the football board only Noah is to blame. But when it comes to wrestling the coaches are also to blame?
Noah does have himself to blame and cannot place blame anywhere else. The coaches are to blame for not taking extra precaution to influence kids away from gambling. 2 separate blunders.

Our guy on the inside is saying 197 for AJF.

He's not without talent but he has work to do to even qualify for the NCAA at this point in his career, let alone get on the podium.

No. Bet on your own team and you are 100% done. Bet on another team at your school and lose a year. Which is why Cass and Shannon are done.
I must not have been following well enough before this big meeting. I'm not seeing anything different than before this reconsideration.

Here is the full text of the tweet that follows:

And now an official statement through the UI from Kirk Ferentz, who isn't letting up on the Noah Shannon ruling.

“I am heartbroken for Noah (Shannon) and his family that the NCAA has come to this conclusion. Noah did not break any laws. He did not commit any crimes. And yet he is being severely over-punished by a membership committee that refuses to see perspective or use common sense. I have said many times that I think it is peculiar that the state of Iowa is uniquely the focus of this investigation. Noah is being sidelined because the NCAA is ruling on an investigation that they did not instigate, using an uneven system of justice to severely punish an excellent young man. It is just wrong.”

Noah does have himself to blame and cannot place blame anywhere else. The coaches are to blame for not taking extra precaution to influence kids away from gambling. 2 separate blunders.
Multiple blunders can be a part of a singular event. You said only Noah is to blame and the exact context is the end of his eligibility.

Two separate blunders both carrying blame for a suspension.

And as I have already opined, there is more blame, that is, to the NCAA.

Multiple blunders can be a part of a singular event. You said only Noah is to blame and the exact context is the end of his eligibility.

Two separate blunders both carrying blame for a suspension.
2 blunders and both do have consequences. Noah is out and justly so because of stated rule.

Iowa coaches don't suffer legally because they did nothing illegal. They suffer professionally because they have lost athletes from the team.

All suffer the consequences.

2 blunders and both do have consequences. Noah is out and justly so because of stated rule.

Iowa coaches don't suffer legally because they did nothing illegal. They suffer professionally because they have lost athletes from the team.

All suffer the consequences.
True. My only point is there is more blame to go around than with just the athlete.

Peace.

Can Cass use this year as an Olympic Redshirt year as I'm sure he's qualified for that being a former world champ and come back next year?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Can Cass use this year as an Olympic Redshirt year as I'm sure he's qualified for that being a former world champ and come back next year?
Not sure if he can use an OR this year or not, but even if he could next year would count as his loss of eligibility/ punishment year then. OR or not, Cass is done with college wrestling :mad:

We all know the answer to this. NCAA compliance is a complete joke and disgrace.

Jim Harbaugh will be fine. The refs in the women's bb championship game will be fine. And all of the NCAA athletes who use PEDs will be fine.

Not sure if he can use an OR this year or not, but even if he could next year would count as his loss of eligibility/ punishment year then. OR or not, Cass is done with college wrestling :mad:
Such a travesty. Insanely harsh punishment for the rule being violated. Makes me think that the people involved with making this decision didn't compete as college athletes themselves.

has anyone (reputable news outlet/reporter) definitively outlined who's in/out + penalties?

perhaps they did and i haven't seen it. but is a little frustrating.

Here you go, from tonight:

Iowa coaches Terry Brands, Kirk Ferentz blast NCAA, are 'battling for logic to prevail'

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Published 9:24 pm CT Nov 8, 2023

The NCAA dropped some news Wednesday that affected athletes at the state of Iowa's two biggest universities, and it wasn't good news.

The governing body issued guidance that athletes who placed any wager on their own school (but not their own sport) would be subject to a loss of one year of eligibility, which was a reduction of the previous punishment of a lifetime ban from NCAA sports. However, indications a few weeks ago were that those athletes would be reinstated immediately.

That reversal irked some heavy-hitting coaches at the University of Iowa, who sounded off with criticism to what they felt was an outdated NCAA.

f8836c22-6977-4567-9941-f07b2cb40234-230120-Nebraska_Iowa_wr-049.JPG

Iowa associate wrestling coach Terry Brands is calling for an overhaul to what he feels are outdated guidlines surrounding sports gambling from the NCAA. His son, Nelson, is facing a suspension that would end his Iowa career.

For Iowa football, the career effectively ended for defensive tackle Noah Shannon, who reportedly placed a single wager on an Iowa women's basketball game.

For Iowa wrestling, four senior starters were impacted by the ruling:

157-pounder Cobe Siebrecht,
174-pounder Nelson Brands,
184-pounder Abe Assad and
heavyweight Tony Cassioppi.

More: Who fills the void left by Iowa wrestling's suspended athletes?

Iowa State football and wrestling also had athletes affected.

Brands' father, Terry Brands, is Iowa wrestling's longtime associate head coach.

Here is what Brands told the Des Moines Register in a text-message statement on Wednesday night:

"Hawkeye nation and our brothers from Iowa State are battling for logic to prevail in an unprecedented, standalone struggle," Brands wrote. "Only athletes from 2 institutions in Iowa have been targeted. No other D1 institution in this country has been targeted. This is an NCAA membership committee that has a chance to modernize our NCAA and they continue not to account for a rapidly changing culture.

"The penalty for athletes who did not break any laws, did not bet on themselves, did not bet on their sport somehow is the same as for those who compromised the integrity of college athletics. Cass, Nelson, Cobe and Abe have been steadfast through this all and will remain so. We have appeals left with two of these awesome individuals and will never rest on working for an overhaul of an outdated NCAA and its leadership."

Earlier Wednesday, Iowa football coach Ferentz teed off on the NCAA during his weekly radio show, arguing that the organization has been way too slow to react to the times during the past decade. Then, via an official statement, he swung again.

“I am heartbroken for Noah (Shannon) and his family that the NCAA has come to this conclusion," Ferentz said. "Noah did not break any laws. He did not commit any crimes. And yet he is being severely over-punished by a membership committee that refuses to see perspective or use common sense. I have said many times that I think it is peculiar that the state of Iowa is uniquely the focus of this investigation. Noah is being sidelined because the NCAA is ruling on an investigation that they did not instigate, using an uneven system of justice to severely punish an excellent young man. It is just wrong.”

Last edited:
Another question is will there be any accountability for the coaches?

I was thinking about this as it reminded me of back in the day when a commander got fired because of a trend of DUIs in his squadron. You know how this goes: Two DUIs happen and we were getting briefed almost daily. They started having enlisted all calls on Fridays to powerpoint us (once again) on DUIs. Invited a cop into speak on his experience picking body parts off the road etc. No matter...some dumbass still went out and got popped for a DUI.

I was pondering this when I remembered that if one of these wrestlers actually got a DUI, say over the summer, they would probably be back in the lineup second semester even though what they did was actually against the law and put lives at risk. These guys broke no laws, didn't bet for or against themselves/own team yet they are done. These rules cannot be applied equally by the NCAA because it would take each state's (where college gambling is legal) investigative organizations to work in concert with the NCAA...or at least report them to their respective universities. This will not happen.

If i were in the position of these Iowa wrestlers I would IMMEDIATELY file a discrimination lawsuit against the NCAA for selective persecution... I mean they ONLY investigated the Iowa and Iowa state football and wrestling teams... I guess all the other sports teams BOTH male and Female in the state and THE REST of the country are safe??? How about we just give CASH bonuses out to the members of those 2 sports ?? would anyone be crying FOUL ??? I think a good legal team could find plenty for which to find discriminatory practices being implied. The standard is that all must share and be treated equally regardless of sex or institution.... UNLESS its Iowa and Iowa state football and wrestling ??? I would be seeking a good law firm and at least annoy the $HIT out of the NCAA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT