ADVERTISEMENT

26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Wrestling, Men’s Basketball, Football, Baseball, Men’s track & field

The Michigan stuff is like 2-3 weeks old. Maybe take a breather on the references as it’s a long, long way from playing out. We’re only at the beginning.

Things are playing out right now. The B1G commisioner has had conference calls with both the B1G coaches and the B1G ADs. They all want the B1G Commissioner to act now.

From ESPN: "...the B1G has enough information to prove that Michigan broke its sportsmanship policies by illegally stealing signs."

Based on this, there was speculation Jim Harbaugh could be suspended as soon as today. Michigan has 3 regular season games left. Michigan followed up stating they would pursue all legal action if the B1G does anything now.

3 videos to watch:

Do you think that the coaches wish they had been more informative and had done a more convincing job warning the athletes?
For me to answer this the way I really want would be a bit long. Not going to put everyone through that.
I'm sure they do. As a coach when things don't go right, you question what you could have done differently. An example I will use is myself as a high school coach. You always give the team a talk about the schools conduct policy. Many kids hear it from the football coach and other coaches they have at the school. At Christmas break with a lot of college kids back and New Years coming I really emphasize staying away from parties and not drinking because there can be consequences. It doesn't happen very often but there have been years when one of them went out and tested it and got in trouble and ended up ineligible. I thought I was very direct and forward when I spoke to them, but appears it doesn't always soak in. Do I question myself on whether I was convincing enough, sure I do. But the only way I could really stop it is to follow them around all break and that just isn't possible.

He also teched Braunagul in the same tourney. Not to mention he has a National title in NAIA. There is no reason to expect Swafford to be a rd of 12 type guy at 184 imo.
Correct, but I suspect you mistyped and meant to say no reason *not* to expect that.

You guys really underestimate how hard it is to be that good. The last 184 lber who was r12 or better was Sam Brooks in 2017.

Correct, but I suspect you mistyped and meant to say no reason *not* to expect that.

You guys really underestimate how hard it is to be that good. The last 184 lber who was r12 or better was Sam Brooks in 2017.
that can't be true?? We have Bobby Telford as our coach of the uppers... you telling me he isn't good at developing??? i'm shocked

Reactions: todiebyyourside
He does not. He was injured during the "free year". Wrestled in the 2020 lost year, 2022 and 2023 season. This was his last year of eligibility.
Without the gambling thing, Abe had a redshirt yet to use plus a year of eligibility, so 2 years to wrestle 1. With the loss of a year of eligibility though it's a moot point, he can't redshirt through it and wrestle next year

Reactions: vhsalum
Things are playing out right now. The B1G commisioner has had conference calls with both the B1G coaches and the B1G ADs. They all want the B1G Commissioner to act now.

From ESPN: "...the B1G has enough information to prove that Michigan broke its sportsmanship policies by illegally stealing signs."

Based on this, there was speculation Jim Harbaugh could be suspended as soon as today. Michigan has 3 regular season games left. Michigan followed up stating they would pursue all legal action if the B1G does anything now.

3 videos to watch:

Correct. It is still early and playing out, like I said.

For me to answer this the way I really want would be a bit long. Not going to put everyone through that.
I'm sure they do. As a coach when things don't go right, you question what you could have done differently. An example I will use is myself as a high school coach. You always give the team a talk about the schools conduct policy. Many kids hear it from the football coach and other coaches they have at the school. At Christmas break with a lot of college kids back and New Years coming I really emphasize staying away from parties and not drinking because there can be consequences. It doesn't happen very often but there have been years when one of them went out and tested it and got in trouble and ended up ineligible. I thought I was very direct and forward when I spoke to them, but appears it doesn't always soak in. Do I question myself on whether I was convincing enough, sure I do. But the only way I could really stop it is to follow them around all break and that just isn't possible.
Looks like we are in agreement after all.

He also teched Braunagul in the same tourney. Not to mention he has a National title in NAIA. There is no reason to expect Swafford to be a rd of 12 type guy at 184 imo.

Edit: 2X NAIA national champ

Not only was that freestyle, it was at 79 kg.

And NAIA is no evidence of anything.

Swafford can be fun to watch. Has a shot at the NCAAs. Step back from Abe, however.

He does not. He was injured during the "free year". Wrestled in the 2020 lost year, 2022 and 2023 season. This was his last year of eligibility.

Definitely has a year left. As a covid guy, he has 6 years to wrestle 5:

Year 1: 2019-2020. NCAA qualifier but tourney cancelled.

Year 2: 2020-2021: Did not compete. Redshirted.

Year 3: 2021-2022. NCAA qualifier.

Year 4: 2022-2023. NCAA qualifier.

Year 5: 2023-2024. Suspended.

Year 6: 2024-2025. Has this if he wants it.

Swafford can be fun to watch. Has a shot at the NCAAs. Step back from Abe, however.

Year 1: 2019-2020. NCAA qualifier but tourney cancelled. Year 1 of eligibility used

Year 2: 2020-2021: Did not compete. Redshirted. Free year Redshirt doesn't matter

Year 3: 2021-2022. NCAA qualifier. Year 2

Year 4: 2022-2023. NCAA qualifier. Year 3

Year 5: 2023-2024. Suspended. Ineligible - lost year 4

Year 6: 2024-2025. Has this if he wants it. He will be out of eligibility
From my understanding, the rule isn't 6 years to wrestle 5, that is only applicable if he wrestled during the free year, which he did not. So excluding the 2020-21 season he has 4 years of eligibility plus a redshirt. He never used a redshirt, but he wrestled 3 seasons and had a 4th ruled as ineligible.

IF this is wrong you'll have to point us to where the rule says 6 years to wrestle 5

So we ultimately view 184 the same way. I’m just an optimist and you are a pessimist. (I already know that you will say that you are a realist so you can save that one.)

From my understanding, the rule isn't 6 years to wrestle 5, that is only applicable if he wrestled during the free year, which he did not. So excluding the 2020-21 season he has 4 years of eligibility plus a redshirt. He never used a redshirt, but he wrestled 3 seasons and had a 4th ruled as ineligible.

IF this is wrong you'll have to point us to where the rule says 6 years to wrestle 5

See this link. All fall and winter sports athletes in 2020-21 automatically qualified for a Season of Competiton waiver which extends their eligibility by one year. Redshirt or not, doesn’t matter. It’s an automatic qualification.

See this link. All fall and winter sports athletes in 2020-21 automatically qualified for a Season of Competiton waiver which extends their eligibility by one year. Redshirt or not, doesn’t matter. It’s an automatic qualification.
Tell that to Josh Humphries.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Correct. It is still early and playing out, like I said.

Actually, this is what you said:

The Michigan stuff is like 2-3 weeks old. Maybe take a breather on the references as it’s a long, long way from playing out. We’re only at the beginning.

And this was my reply:

3 videos to watch:

Actually, this is what you said:

And this was my reply:

3 videos to watch:

Want…wish…hope…pray…

Post as many Tweets and vids as you want but this isn’t going to fully play out for some time.

Nope. Assad is done. You get 4 cracks, 5 if you wrestled in the "free" year. Unfortunately one of the cracks was the cancelled year (no one gets that back) and another is taken way by the suspension.

Nope. Assad is done. You get 4 cracks, 5 if you wrestled in the "free" year. Unfortunately one of the cracks was the cancelled year (no one gets that back) and another is taken way by the suspension.

If this were true then every true freshman football player who didn’t see the field in 2020-21 wouldn’t be eligible for a covid year. Yet they are.

Cody Goodwin lays it out here.

Yes, that is true, but, Assad was not a true freshman. You get 4 shots at NCAA's, 5 IF you participated in the 2021 NCAA championships. He already had his 3 and he loses a year of eligibility. Brands has a possibility at an extra year because he only had 2 shots at NCAA's.

Yes, that is true, but, Assad was not a true freshman. You get 4 shots at NCAA's, 5 IF you participated in the 2021 NCAA championships. He already had his 3 and he loses a year of eligibility. Brands has a possibility at an extra year because he only had 2 shots at NCAA's.
Looking back at Abe career he never took a RS and wrestled 3 years and this year would be 4.

Last edited:

The Covid year has nothing to do with number of NCAA championships competed in, or when. Whether one was a true freshman or not is also not relevant.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Want…wish…hope…pray…

Post as many Tweets and vids as you want but this isn’t going to fully play out for some time.
Also, the NCAA was going to have their gambling decision made a while ago, then they were going to change the rules favorably towards the Iowa athletes, then they made what sounded like 180 decision. Then once they make a second on Michigan/Harbaugh, there will definitely be appeals. I don't believe anything is imminent at the moment

Abe is done. He does not have a covid year left.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

The question is...why? As Cody Goodwin wrote:

The eligibility rules are simple. Everybody currently on a Division I roster gets a freebie year, so the 2021 season does not affect eligibility.

One reason I could think of is that he doesn't have the progress towards a degree or interest in a 2nd degree which would put him out of contention for a 6th year.

The eligibility rules are simple. Everybody currently on a Division I roster gets a freebie year, so the 2021 season does not affect eligibility.

One reason I could think of is that he doesn't have the progress towards a degree or interest in a 2nd degree which would put him out of contention for a 6th year.
The article was written in 2021. The context of the article means that those competing in 2021 would have a free year of eligibility to use (2021 would not count toward their 4 seasons of competing). If you did not compete in 2021, you were not given an extra year to use somewhere else.

Reactions: rmg78

The article was written in 2021. The context of the article means that those competing in 2021 would have a free year of eligibility to use (2021 would not count toward their 4 seasons of competing). If you did not compete in 2021, you were not given an extra year to use somewhere else.
2019-20 - 1st year of eligibility used (true freshman)
2020-21 - redshirt (did not take advantage of the free covid year that was given)
2021-22- 2nd year of eligibility used (redshirt sophomore)
2022-23 - 3rd year of eligibility used (redshirt junior)
2023-24- 4th year of eligibility used by suspension (redshirt senior)

Also, the NCAA was going to have their gambling decision made a while ago, then they were going to change the rules favorably towards the Iowa athletes, then they made what sounded like 180 decision. Then once they make a second on Michigan/Harbaugh, there will definitely be appeals. I don't believe anything is imminent at the moment

This is a really good segment of Scott's & Chad's podcast where they discuss how the NCAA gave the athletes hope (where the punishment was going to be education) & then took it away. The question is, who and why?

check this out & watch:

Whats interesting is Wrestlestat now has a medical redshirt symbol listed there (it wasn't there the other day) So maybe he is applying for it?

Cody is pretty clear in his belief that it is everyone on a roster. Abe was most definitely on the Iowa roster. Also, that's not what the NCAA regs said that I posted earlier. I have never heard that football and basketball players who redshirted that season do not get an additional year.

I get that I might be wrong. It happens. :) I appreciate the back and forth, my friend.

Reactions: sunshinedynomite
Cody is pretty clear in his belief that it is everyone on a roster. Abe was most definitely on the Iowa roster. Also, that's not what the NCAA regs said that I posted earlier. I have never heard that football and basketball players who redshirted that season do not get an additional year.

I get that I might be wrong. It happens. :) I appreciate the back and forth, my friend.
I'm not able to give all the specifics on how the covid, redshirt and on or not on the roster works.
Covid year makes a lot this confusing. At least to me.
Anyway, my comment on Abe being done comes from "the horse's mouth."
Maybe there's something about it he doesn't understand but I doubt it.

I'm not able to give all the specifics on how the covid, redshirt and on or not on the roster works.
Covid year makes a lot this confusing. At least to me.
Anyway, my comment on Abe being done comes from "the horse's mouth."
Maybe there's something about it he doesn't understand but I doubt it.

I think I got it. Finally.

2021 simply doesn’t count. If we ignore the suspension, he could redshirt this year and wrestle next year. However, an athlete can’t use a redshirt to serve their suspension, so he’s done.

ISU had a wrestler place one $25 bet on the ISU-Iowa football game 2 years ago. The only bet he ever placed on anything. Took ISU to win and lost the bet. And his career is done.

Just ridiculous punishment.
who was this?

In its notice of disciplinary action, the Big Ten told Michigan it was informed by the NCAA of "uncontroverted" evidence that Connor Stalions "coordinated a scheme by which individuals were directed to attend games of future opponents for scoung purposes."

In its letter to Michigan today, the Big Ten confirmed something we'd been told: NCAA president Charlie Baker called the conference himself to deliver the news of the investigation, something the Big Ten called "extraordinary."

The penalty from the B1G: Michigan must compete without its Head Football Coach for the games remaining in the 2023 regular-season, effective immediately.

Nov 11 at Penn State
Nov 18 at Maryland
Nov 25 vs Ohio State

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT