ADVERTISEMENT

26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Wrestling, Men’s Basketball, Football, Baseball, Men’s track & field

I’m not sure if asking tough questions is ever ill-conceived. I might be wrong but I’m really curious as to why top guys seem to shy away from IC.
It would be one thing if Iowa City West was year in and year out among the best HS programs in the country and those kids were all ending up at PSU. They aren’t and they’re not. Two of PSUs top recruits are at Wyoming Seminary in PA and two others are from New York. They also have the Misola brothers out of Wisconsin. Obviously Cael’s success is going to bring in more recruits. It’s a perfect storm when the state of PA has far and away the best high schoolers in the country. When the top high schoolers in the country were from Iowa and we had Gable, Iowa landed a lot of the top recruits and Iowa was consistently winning titles.

All you said is true, imo. But it’s the perception that counts with potential recruits. Is it possible some stay away for what is baked into the product? Is it possible that intensity doesn’t sit well with more and more kids these days? I’m just asking.
I think you are almost certainly right, el dub, that some recruits have stayed away. Strong personalities elicit strong emotions. But it works both ways. (See Spencer Lee. Or Ferraris.)

I've come full circle on this, btw.

I was one of the first on this board to sound the alarm about Penn State's top-10 P4P recruiting strategy and its mathematical superiority to Iowa's recruiting strategy of letting multiple mid-tier guys sharpen each other's iron.

PSU's strategy was basically, get 10 studs. Even if only 6-7 pan out, we win. Every year. That has proven to be a brilliant strategy.

Iron sharpens iron? Less brilliant.

We pissed away our edge with the hubris that coaching was the magic ingredient. It turns out that the magic ingredients were recruiting and fundraising. Cael nailed both.

Where I've come full circle is that I'm not sure anyone could've stopped the Cael train. He did too many things right.

No one is getting a lot of top-10 studs at this point--except Penn State. It's not that Iowa sucks. It's that everyone sucks compared to Penn State. We're doing a lot more things right than we were a few years ago. But it's like the universe (if you'll indulge my science metaphor): Cael is moving away from every other team with ever-increasing speed.

What ever you say. I’ll go with the opinions of guys who were on the team over those living in a wet dream any day.

A guy who was on the team 30 years ago.

Who you needed to explain what you meant. “…uhhhh yeah…what he said! That’s what I meant. I’m sure of it.”

😂

A guy who was on the team 30 years ago.

Who you needed to explain what you meant. “…uhhhh yeah…what he said! That’s what I meant. I’m sure of it.”

😂
I’m not the only one here with the views expressed. A guy who was on the team probably has a better idea of their teammates than a keyboard warrior eating Cheetos and fantasizing about his sister. Somethings never change, as much as we’d like them to. But you keep doing you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
This analogy doesn’t work. Shooting a basketball is a totally different motion and form of muscular coordination — and not perfected by wrestlers because wrestling & basketball seasons overlap (no wrestlers play on the basketball team).

Our off-season sport is baseball, which of course is the proper analogy from a throwing perspective. Wrestlers can (and do) throw eggs like champs!
Fifty bucks says as a right hander you’re stepping with your right foot. ;)

Reactions: el dub and manatree
Thanks for the reality check. I trust your take on that point.

But from here, PSU has been consistently out recruiting and out performing us by a wide margin.
I would say Location has the most to do with it (coaching is great also, but when you can just get the best from your backyard it makes it a lot easier.

In its notice of disciplinary action, the Big Ten told Michigan it was informed by the NCAA of "uncontroverted" evidence that Connor Stalions "coordinated a scheme by which individuals were directed to attend games of future opponents for scoung purposes."

In its letter to Michigan today, the Big Ten confirmed something we'd been told: NCAA president Charlie Baker called the conference himself to deliver the news of the investigation, something the Big Ten called "extraordinary."

The penalty from the B1G: Michigan must compete without its Head Football Coach for the games remaining in the 2023 regular-season, effective immediately.

Nov 11 at Penn State
Nov 18 at Maryland
Nov 25 vs Ohio State

It’s a week later and the issue is still going strong with revelations on a near daily basis.

Like I said, a long, long way from playing out.

I would say Location has the most to do with it (coaching is great also, but when you can just get the best from your backyard it makes it a lot easier.
Location is part of the equation but if you look at their starting roster the last two years it has consisted of wrestlers from all over including kids from the midwest and west coast.
125- Steen (NY) / Howard (NJ)
133- RBY (AZ) / Nagao (CA)
141- Bartlett (AZ)
149- SVN (NJ)
157- Haines (PA)
165- Facundo (MI) / Mesenbrink (WI)
174- Starocci (PA)
184- Brooks (MD) / Truax (CA)
197- Dean (MI) / Brooks (MD)
285- Kerk (MN)

It’s a week later and the issue is still going strong with revelations on a near daily basis.

Like I said, a long, long way from playing out.

Not sure why you continue to say this because this is clearly not a normal NCAA investigation.

A private investigation firm was hired by anonymous individuals. This private investigation firm handed over a ton of evidence to the NCAA, laying everything out. As a result, things have and will play out a lot faster than in a normal NCAA investigation.

The B1G has already closed its investigation. 2 heads at Michigan have rolled and Head Coach Jim Harbaugh has been suspended.

When it comes to how quickly things have played out:

* On Nov 3, Connor Stalions the low-level Michigan football staffer who is at the center of the NCAA investigation into sign stealing and alleged scouting improprieties, resigned.

* In its Nov 10 letter to Michigan, the Big Ten confirmed that NCAA president Charlie Baker called the conference himself to deliver the news of the investigation, something the Big Ten called "extraordinary."

* Yesterday, Nov 16, Michigan & Jim Harbaugh accepted Harbaugh's 3 game suspension that came from the B1G Conference.

* Yesterday, Nov 16, the B1G agreed to close its investigation.

* Today, Nov 17, Michigan fired linebackers coach Chris Partridge. Evidence points to Partridge destroying a computer or at least computer files documenting the in-person scouting scheme.

* Today, Nov 17, the NCAA presented Michigan with evidence that points to a UM booster - “Uncle T” - as having partially funded the scouting scheme.

From yesterday, Nov 16:

F_FQyAEXEAA-FsW

Last edited:
Not sure why you continue to say this because this is clearly not a normal NCAA investigation.

I continue to say it because this is a long way from being over and you seem to the the only one really anywhere who doesn’t realize this.

Location is part of the equation but if you look at their starting roster the last two years it has consisted of wrestlers from all over including kids from the midwest and west coast.
125- Steen (NY) / Howard (NJ)
133- RBY (AZ) / Nagao (CA)
141- Bartlett (AZ)
149- SVN (NJ)
157- Haines (PA)
165- Facundo (MI) / Mesenbrink (WI)
174- Starocci (PA)
184- Brooks (MD) / Truax (CA)
197- Dean (MI) / Brooks (MD)
285- Kerk (MN)
This is way too appropriate for a wrestling forum. If you’re going to talk wrestling keep it to page 1.
#CesspoolRules

If location was the biggest factor, Penn State would have been a powerhouse for decades. Why the long dry spell after 1953?

Reactions: el dub
If location was the biggest factor, Penn State would have been a powerhouse for decades. Why the long dry spell after 1953?
I'm no expert on the ground in PA, but I think the trend toward it and neighboring states being wrestling hot beds is more recent. And then you need a catalyst like Cael to be able to capitalize on it.

I'm no expert on the ground in PA, but I think the trend toward it and neighboring states being wrestling hot beds is more recent. And then you need a catalyst like Cael to be able to capitalize on it.

This list covers 1961-2011 NCAA champs & All Americans. I don’t think it is a recent phenomenon. The number of DI programs in Pennsylvania, currently eleven, might have been a factor.

1 - Pennsylvania
2 - Iowa
3 - Ohio
4 - Oklahoma
5 - Illinois
6 - California
7 - New Jersey
8 - New York
9 - Michigan
10 - Minnesota

But did you really? Seems to me you did not actually confess to thowing said eggs but a lesser charge of attempt. For God sake did they not think you could actually chuck an egg?
@el dub, coincidentally I just chucked two hard-boiled eggs into the woods from my front porch. They had spoiled from sitting in the fridge for 4 weeks while I was elsewhere.

Not sure of the relevancy.

IMHO, after doing something wrong, it's far better to not get caught, make restitution of one's own volition, and commit to being better. I prefer this to counting on an effect (e.g. improved self-accountability) from a cause beyond one's control (e.g. getting caught).

What 'restitution' had Iowa and Iowa State planned once they found out, before (or after) the NCAA came down with its final decision on a penalty?

I didn't hear anything about this. But perhaps I am asking the wrong people the wrong question.

Last edited:
@el dub, coincidentally I just chucked two hard-boiled eggs into the woods from my front porch. They had spoiled from sitting in the fridge for 4 weeks while I was elsewhere.

Not sure of the relevancy.

IMHO, after doing something wrong, it's far better to not get caught, make restitution of one's own volition, and commit to being better. I prefer this to counting on an effect (e.g. improved self-accountability) from a cause beyond one's control (e.g. getting caught).

What restitution had Iowa and Iowa State planned once they found out, before (or after) the NCAA came down with its final decision on a penalty?

I didn't hear anything about this. But perhaps I am asking the wrong people the wrong question.

Thank you for letting us know you don't what the word "restitution" means.

Thank you for letting us know you don't what the word "restitution" means.
?

Clean up the house, do yard work for the offended - or pay for same

As in egg throwing.

Second used is as an analogy (not to be read literally). Maybe should've put in single quotes for clarity.

'restitution' >> 'punishment' with respect to character development, IMHO.

Reminded of this when reading 'Holes' with 4th-5th grade book club over the past 4 weeks.

Last edited:
This list covers 1961-2011 NCAA champs & All Americans. I don’t think it is a recent phenomenon. The number of DI programs in Pennsylvania, currently eleven, might have been a factor.

1 - Pennsylvania
2 - Iowa
3 - Ohio
4 - Oklahoma
5 - Illinois
6 - California
7 - New Jersey
8 - New York
9 - Michigan
10 - Minnesota
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Population and number of schools has to play in, but I think Cael was a big draw for a lot more recruits than before. And now their sustained success keeps that ball rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT