ADVERTISEMENT

26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Wrestling, Men’s Basketball, Football, Baseball, Men’s track & field

Hypothetical. The justice system was investigating potential crimes committed at your workplace - which do not involve you. In the process they found that liked to dink around and watch 30 minutes of YouTube videos in your office twice a day while your boss is not around, your coworker takes an 1 1/2 lunch when he is only supposed to get an hour, the front desk secretary is on her cell phone for 3 hours out of the day, etc. Along with their criminal report that they turn over to be prosecuted by state government, they send a report of all the legal activities that are described above to your office management. You all get fired for the above described activities. Is it okay for the justice system to meddle in these affairs? I personally think they should stay out of it. Does that make it okay for the people described above to take advantage of their employers while they are in the clock? No.
Yeah, I'm wondering why they would include the 1 1/2 hour lunch break, youtube videos and cell phone activity in their report? What does it have to do with the investigation

Except it wasn't anyone filtering evidence to the NCAA, it was Iowa and isu self reporting the violations to the NCAA.
So why, again, was there no presumption of innocence by UI on behalf of their student-athletes? Why no question about the legality of what they were being presented?

If MI, PSU, and a lot of other schools (we compete against for students and athletes) were sent that info they would have asked those questions and stood behind their students and coaches until answers were in hand. Why is UI so eager to fold, again and again?

Too many unanswered questions and too many easily answered questions not being asked.

It’s a screwed up system, that’s for sure. Too bad for everybody involved.

I once got in trouble for “attempt to throw eggs,” at a teacher’s house in hs. The principal told me he knew we didn’t throw any eggs the ONLY night I went along. The school superintendent told us nobody would get in trouble if we confessed. I was made ineligible from wrestling for the night in question. My parents told me to take my medicine like a man because they knew I had thrown two eggs that night, even though the school promised there would be no punishment if we came clean. (They never asked me if I threw eggs, rather they told me they knew I hadn’t.) I feel like it made me a better person by taking responsibility for my actions.

• Love
Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz

I once got in trouble for “attempt to throw eggs,” at a teacher’s house in hs. The principal told me he knew we didn’t throw any eggs the ONLY night I went along. The school superintendent told us nobody would get in trouble if we confessed. I was made ineligible from wrestling for the night in question. My parents told me to take my medicine like a man because they knew I had thrown two eggs that night, even though the school promised there would be no punishment if we came clean. (They never asked me if I threw eggs, rather they told me they knew I hadn’t.) I feel like it made me a better person by taking responsibility for my actions.
But did you really? Seems to me you did not actually confess to thowing said eggs but a lesser charge of attempt. For God sake did they not think you could actually chuck an egg?

But did you really? Seems to me you did not actually confess to thowing said eggs but a lesser charge of attempt. For God sake did they not think you could actually chuck an egg?
Not sure. They never asked me if I threw any eggs, rather told me they knew that I didn’t but were still making me ineligible.

I’m guessing the eggs hit low-hanging tree branches in front of house. Apparently none thrown that night hit the intended target.

Interesting. My junior year, we had two carloads of dudes with beer in each trunk driving around to find out where the after prom parties were. We went to the prom in downtown Tucson to see and the front car drove up the wrong way on the parking ramp where the cops just happened to be standing. Welp, they confiscated the beer and took us down to where our principal and superintendent were waiting. The cops handed us off and our admin yelled at us and told us we were in trouble. However, the school couldn't do jack since we were off campus. So after after another stern talking to with a lot of "Yessirs and Nosirs," we were good to go.

Reactions: el dub
OK, I'm going to chime in, and I'm sure this will get long. If you don't agree with some of what I'm going to say, that's your right, but hear me out, and I believe most of you will see my point, even if you disagree.
This really sucks for these athletes. Not just the wrestlers, but all the ones losing eligibility at both schools, but they brought it on themselves, as explained below.

It stinks that only Iowa and ISU athletes are being singled out and punished. I'm sure that if every state investigated athletes at every NCAA-sanctioned institution (I don't know if NAIA has similar rules), there would be thousands of violations found, all over the country.

Our society has gradually accepted gambling as an acceptable behavior, especially since the government realized that it couldn't stop it, so it might as well get its cut and benefit from it. Wrong or not, kids growing up today think of it as normal, as it is legal in so many places now, and don't even think of it as unacceptable.

It's a shame, if this story is true, that one such athlete decided they couldn't tell their parent(s) that they were using their credit card to gamble, if indeed that is what led to this investigation in the first place.

It is wrong if a government agent violated students' Constitutional rights to obtain information in this investigation. Unfortunately, that is the way our government is headed, mainly at the Federal level. If you think your rights have never been violated in this way, you are probably naive.

I hate that this whole thing, as minor as it probably really is, has impacted our team and these athletes as much as it has. For some (maybe or maybe not as much the wrestlers) it could profoundly affect the rest of their lives.

All that being said, the bottom line is, that these guys knew, or at least should have known, that they were violating a long-time (even if maybe outdated) NCAA regulation. If they willingly broke that regulation they should willingly accept the punishment handed down, whether it is fair or not.

This whole ordeal makes me sick for these guys, but we have no control over it, and they gave up their control when they broke the rules.

Last edited:
Meaning is primary. Angry coach getting details wrong on presser like this doesn’t help the cause and actually hurts recruiting, imo. Apparently a LOT of top pfp kids have passed on the opportunity to be coached by our staff. I wonder why?

Yes I'm sure recruits are VERY concerned he said DOJ instead of DCI. That is totally something they would know and concern themselves with. Recruits are very dialed into the name of each state's crime unit names.

And they definitely not like coaches who have their athlete's backs.

Be better. Try harder.

And what does someone of legal betting age gambling have to do with a criminal investigation?

I think the nuance you're looking for is that some athletes were betting on their own games which is illegal, so all athletes are going to have their betting scrutinized. They don't know what their bets were on until they investigate. The result was vindication for many, but with an unfortunate circumstance.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Yes I'm sure recruits are VERY concerned he said DOJ instead of DCI. That is totally something they would know and concern themselves with. Recruits are very dialed into the name of each state's crime unit names.

And they definitely not like coaches who have their athlete's backs.

Be better. Try harder.
I’m guessing many recruits prefer a coach not seen as a hot- head. It appears the coaching staff needs to be better and try harder as well, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: T8KUDWN
I’m guessing many recruits prefer a coach not seen as a hot- head. It appears the coaching staff needs to be better and try harder as well, eh?
Or they see a coach who will stand up and fight for his guys.

And it's pretty sad if seeing a coach get angry makes him a "hot head".
Your logic gets a little more peculiar every day.

Well, Tom is Tom. Nothing I saw in that interview that surprised me. He's a passionate guy, and there's a fine line between passionate and hot-headed. But with the Brands brothers, that's kind of baked into the product; it's a feature, not a bug.

I appreciate him standing up for his guys (whom we love, btw), and I get the frustration.

The situation sucks. The punishment was over the top, and it was unevenly meted out to only two teams.

Alas, we're not going to change anyone's minds at the NCAA at this point. A little rant was probably good for the soul. Now, time to suck it up and move forward, as they say.

Tom is an intense guy. Not every recruit is looking for a coach who comes off as intense as TB, imo.

Reactions: kkhawk

Btw, I grew up with TnT. I’ve watched them since they were in grade school. Some things never change, apparently.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Btw, I grew up with TnT. I’ve watched them since they were in grade school. Some things never change, apparently.
I like Tom more for demonstrating he’s not a p*ssy. I bet everyone of his athletes respect him a little bit more, knowing he doesn’t throw them under the bus. I wonder what those kids parents think of Tom defending their sons. You think most D-1 coaches would be sitting on their hands and simply taking what the NCAA handed down like a bunch of simps? I hope they’d be fired up and demanding questions be asked. If a recruit hesitates to commit to a program, because the coach raises his voice in a presser and says “bullshit”, I’m not sure they’ve got the stones to survive a D-1 season.

Last edited:

Yes!! I, too, had to face consequences for throwing eggs. Except I kinda did throw them. Paid half the fine by carrying a “Scrotz’s Egg Fund” can around school to accept loose-change donations.

Interesting. My junior year, we had two carloads of dudes with beer in each trunk driving around to find out where the after prom parties were. We went to the prom in downtown Tucson to see and the front car drove up the wrong way on the parking ramp where the cops just happened to be standing. Welp, they confiscated the beer and took us down to where our principal and superintendent were waiting. The cops handed us off and our admin yelled at us and told us we were in trouble. However, the school couldn't do jack since we were off campus. So after after another stern talking to with a lot of "Yessirs and Nosirs," we were good to go.
You having trouble separating your real
life from your avatar? 🤣

And not every recruit is looking for a coach Carl, which is evident by the 1000's that choose to go elsewhere.

Come on, man. You're trying way too hard right now.
Huh? Look at the success of the two programs. There aren’t thousands of top 10 pfp recruits out there. Why do so many go to PSU when we have top notch coaches and a history of success. We’ve had three national champs in ten years. What is keeping the best of the best out of IC?

I like Tom more for demonstrating he’s not a p*ssy. I bet everyone of his athletes respect him a little bit more, knowing he doesn’t throw them under the bus. I wonder what those kids parents think of Tom defending their sons. You think most D-1 coaches would be sitting on their hands and simply taking what the NCAA handed down like a bunch of simps? I hope they’d be fired up and demanding questions be asked. If a recruit hesitates to commit to a program, because the coach raises his voice in a presser and says “bullshit”, I’m not sure they’ve got the stones to survive a D-1 season.
Serious question…. Why do do so few top pfp guys end up in IC? Why have we only had three national champs in the last ten years?

Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
Well, Tom is Tom. Nothing I saw in that interview that surprised me. He's a passionate guy, and there's a fine line between passionate and hot-headed. But with the Brands brothers, that's kind of baked into the product; it's a feature, not a bug.

I appreciate him standing up for his guys (whom we love, btw), and I get the frustration.

The situation sucks. The punishment was over the top, and it was unevenly meted out to only two teams.

Alas, we're not going to change anyone's minds at the NCAA at this point. A little rant was probably good for the soul. Now, time to suck it up and move forward, as they say.
All you said is true, imo. But it’s the perception that counts with potential recruits. Is it possible some stay away for what is baked into the product? Is it possible that intensity doesn’t sit well with more and more kids these days? I’m just asking.

Huh? Look at the success of the two programs. There aren’t thousands of top 10 pfp recruits out there. Why do so many go to PSU when we have top notch coaches and a history of success. We’ve had three national champs in ten years. What is keeping the best of the best out of IC?
You didn't specify top recruits. You just said recruits don't want an intense coach like TB.

We all understand what you're trying to say, but the truth is not everyone wants PSU, Sanderson, or their culture.

OK, I'm going to chime in, and I'm sure this will get long. If you don't agree with some of what I'm going to say, that's your right, but hear me out, and I believe most of you will see my point, even if you disagree.
This really sucks for these athletes. Not just the wrestlers, but all the ones losing eligibility at both schools, but they brought it on themselves, as explained below.

It stinks that only Iowa and ISU athletes are being singled out and punished. I'm sure that if every state investigated athletes at every NCAA-sanctioned institution (I don't know if NAIA has similar rules), there would be thousands of violations found, all over the country.

Our society has gradually accepted gambling as an acceptable behavior, especially since the government realized that it couldn't stop it, so it might as well get its cut and benefit from it. Wrong or not, kids growing up today think of it as normal, as it is legal in so many places now, and don't even think of it as unacceptable.

It's a shame, if this story is true, that one such athlete decided they couldn't tell their parent(s) that they were using their credit card to gamble, if indeed that is what led to this investigation in the first place.

It is wrong if a government agent violated students' Constitutional rights to obtain information in this investigation. Unfortunately, that is the way our government is headed, mainly at the Federal level. If you think your rights have never been violated in this way, you are probably naive.

I hate that this whole thing, as minor as it probably really is, has impacted our team and these athletes as much as it has. For some (maybe or maybe not as much the wrestlers) it could profoundly affect the rest of their lives.

All that being said, the bottom line is, that these guys knew, or at least should have known, that they were violating a long-time (even if maybe outdated) NCAA regulation. If they willingly broke that regulation they should willingly accept the punishment handed down, whether it is fair or not.

This whole ordeal makes me sick for these guys, but we have no control over it, and they gave up their control when they broke the rules.

So as a thought exercise, if the punishment on the books was execution, they and we should just accept it? Bad argument. The punishment is quite frankly absurd and the penalties being enforced to this extent deserve ridicule and scrutiny.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
You didn't specify top recruits. You just said recruits don't want an intense coach like TB.

We all understand what you're trying to say, but the truth is not everyone wants PSU, Sanderson, or their culture.
Seriously? Look at the number of top recruits that end up at PSU. Those are the guys winning national championships on an individual and team level. Those are really the only ones who matter in that context, imo. And there is no comparison. PSU’s second string team would beat the brakes off our squad.

Seriously? Look at the number of top recruits that end up at PSU. Those are the guys winning national championships on an individual and team level. Those are really the only ones who matter in that context, imo. And there is no comparison. PSU’s second string team would beat the brakes off our squad.
Duuuuuuuuub…. Love ya, but come on.

They’re second string ain’t shit. (This year)

having seen wrestlers try to shoot basketballs, it's entirely possible.
This analogy doesn’t work. Shooting a basketball is a totally different motion and form of muscular coordination — and not perfected by wrestlers because wrestling & basketball seasons overlap (no wrestlers play on the basketball team).

Our off-season sport is baseball, which of course is the proper analogy from a throwing perspective. Wrestlers can (and do) throw eggs like champs!

Duuuuuuuuub…. Love ya, but come on.

They’re second string ain’t shit. (This year)
Thanks for the reality check. I trust your take on that point.

But from here, PSU has been consistently out recruiting and out performing us by a wide margin.

I agree with this statement, in fact no one disagrees with it.
But blaming Tom's intensity ain't the reason why and eluding to it is ill-conceived.
I’m not sure if asking tough questions is ever ill-conceived. I might be wrong but I’m really curious as to why top guys seem to shy away from IC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT