ADVERTISEMENT

26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Wrestling, Men’s Basketball, Football, Baseball, Men’s track & field

I think I got it. Finally.

2021 simply doesn’t count. If we ignore the suspension, he could redshirt this year and wrestle next year. However, an athlete can’t use a redshirt to serve their suspension, so he’s done.
This is my understanding as well, although I don't pretend to know any of this stuff for sure. One thing is clear, the NCAA absolutely sucks at making clear, logical rules and decisions. It shouldn't be this confusing to understand. The Covid free year was nonsense while the 2020 seniors got totally screwed, and the gambling crap being drawn out for six full months is totally unacceptable imo. They just suck at the one job they have.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
There is no such thing as a covid year. That year just didn't count for eligibility. It's not some year that can be applied in the future. Just ignore that year when calculating how many years someone has used.

There is no such thing as a covid year. That year just didn't count for eligibility. It's not some year that can be applied in the future. Just ignore that year when calculating how many years someone has used.

It not counting is what makes it a Covid year.

My God, man…I just got what the deal is for Abe through my thick skull. I don’t need you trying to confuse at this point!

This is great. Technically it was not the Dept of Justice but the public does deserve answers on the timeline of this whole damn thing.

check this out & watch

jfc, this doesn’t help. The freakin’ Department of Justice? Are you kiddin me? Do TnT really think their gonna have any influence with this stuff?

This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but the season has started, and our coaches need to shut the eff up and coach. The it’s not fair rants are a distraction. Rules were broken, take the medicine and move forward.

Yes, why was an arm of the government of the state of Iowa IN the state of Iowa, investigating potential crimes committed in the state of Iowa?

Does Tom Brands know that the federal DOJ is not, in fact, the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission?

Maybe this has already been explained and I missed it so I hope this isn't a completely idiotic question. If this originally started because of a tipoff about ONE case of someone's phone potentially getting hacked, why wasn't just that one case investigated and taken care of? Why/how did it evolve into a full blown investigation of all of the athletes involved?

Yes, why was an arm of the government of the state of Iowa IN the state of Iowa, investigating potential crimes committed in the state of Iowa?

Does Tom Brands know that the federal DOJ is not, in fact, the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission?

he misspoke and is referring to the dci (department of criminal investigations) who is supposed to be investigating crimes. what they ended up doing was mostly digging up non criminal activities and referring them to the ncaa regulatory body. that is what tom is talking about and i think it’s a valid point.

there should be transparency about what led to the the dci agent using the geofencing software to solely focus on university athletic facilities.

The time to fight rules of punishment is before you get caught breaking the rules. If you say nothing until you get caught, you ain’t got much of a leg to stand on. Nelson being involved doesn’t exactly make TnT’s stance credible, either.

he misspoke and is referring to the dci (department of criminal investigations) who is supposed to be investigating crimes. what they ended up doing was mostly digging up non criminal activities and referring them to the ncaa regulatory body. that is what tom is talking about and i think it’s a valid point.

there should be transparency about what led to the the dci agent using the geofencing software to solely focus on university athletic facilities.
This is the crux of the weakness of the argument. We haven’t denied breaking the rules, but somehow we think we are not subject to punishment because we don’t agree with the way we were caught and believe it is unfair other states didn’t catch/report their athletes. Talk about avoiding responsibility. That’s like 8-year-old logic.

This is the crux of the weakness of the argument. We haven’t denied breaking the rules, but somehow we think we are not subject to punishment because we don’t agree with the way we were caught and believe it is unfair other states didn’t catch/report their athletes. Talk about avoiding responsibility. That’s like 8-year-old logic.
Not sure where you showed up from but you going away would certainly improve this place.

This is great. Technically it was not the Dept of Justice but the public does deserve answers on the timeline of this whole damn thing.

check this out & watch

I know what happened. Cassiopi/Brands/whoever talked about gambling to other wrestlers, it went through the wrestling pipeline, eventually made it to Cael, and Cael made some calls. Amirite?

giphy.gif

To be admissible evidence needs to be legally obtained. There are good reasons for this.
Your 4th Amendment Rights

If the evidence was obtained illegally the NCAA set a dangerous precedent. What’s to stop boosters at one school from launching investigations into players at other schools, then filtering incriminating evidence to the NCAA through media aka Mineo.

Last edited:
This probably won’t be a popular opinion, but the season has started, and our coaches need to shut the eff up and coach. The it’s not fair rants are a distraction. Rules were broken, take the medicine and move forward.
You’re right but more like a crappy opinion. Perhaps you need to listen to his response again. He said they control what they can control and go forward but the question needs to be asked. He’s responding to a freaking question about the final ruling. You expect him to say it’s unfortunate, they got what they deserved and we’ve moved on? Weak. Like KF, the coach said his peace and deservedly so. Much respect for both coaches who always have their athletes backs.

Maybe this has already been explained and I missed it so I hope this isn't a completely idiotic question. If this originally started because of a tipoff about ONE case of someone's phone potentially getting hacked, why wasn't just that one case investigated and taken care of? Why/how did it evolve into a full blown investigation of all of the athletes involved?
Because that’s kinda how criminal investigations work. You stop a guy for speeding, you find the drugs, you leverage the guy to flip somebody upstream.

To be admissible evidence needs to be legally obtained. There are good reasons for this.

If the evidence was obtained illegally the NCAA set a dangerous precedent. What’s to stop boosters at one school from launching investigations into players at other schools, then filtering incriminating evidence to the NCAA through media aka Mineo.
If evidence was illegally obtained, the defendants should absolutely contest the charges against them in the criminal process. But the ncaa is not the forum for that defense. It’s the courts. Indeed, even if they won in court the ncaa could make its own findings, relying on illegally seized evidence, if it really wanted to.

At the end of the day there’s no reason not to have a full and open discussion about what the rules and sanctions should be for gambling by college athletes. (And indeed, the ncaa has done just that to a degree) But in that vein we also shouldn’t be completely dismissive of the case for harder rules — just about every sport takes a pretty hard line on this, and consider how the general public dumped on Michelson for running to the saudis to fix his cash flow.

But here again, as to the past the rules were pretty clear. These athletes had the bad luck to get caught up in an independent criminal investigation, and ncaa penalties have flowed from that.

None of the Iowa wrestlers committed any crimes though.
Hypothetical. The justice system was investigating potential crimes committed at your workplace - which do not involve you. In the process they found that liked to dink around and watch 30 minutes of YouTube videos in your office twice a day while your boss is not around, your coworker takes an 1 1/2 lunch when he is only supposed to get an hour, the front desk secretary is on her cell phone for 3 hours out of the day, etc. Along with their criminal report that they turn over to be prosecuted by state government, they send a report of all the legal activities that are described above to your office management. You all get fired for the above described activities. Is it okay for the justice system to meddle in these affairs? I personally think they should stay out of it. Does that make it okay for the people described above to take advantage of their employers while they are in the clock? No.

Reactions: TNTwrestle and eb05
This is not true. They did not just investigate wrestling and football. Other sports are involved as well.
oh please.... do tell and which other sports teams and which other Iowa Colleges were involved. That would be a Hell of a selling point if these Crystal clean universities could brag about being INCIDENT FREE when it comes to the NCAA.

take your grievance up with james madison. he felt so strongly about the process that he introduced the 4th amendment.

Reactions: LIV4GOD

This is all Iowa DCI and a rogue agent. This is what the Iowa Racing and Gaming head thinks of the investigation, Brian Ohorilko:

During a Sept. 7 call, Hanika questioned how the DCI agents obtained search warrants for the case.

"It's a really good question," Ohorilko said. "And yeah, I mean, you know, off the record, you know, the same question goes to the county attorneys, too.”

He added: “A lot of people don’t agree with how things have been handled.”

Words count spoonman. Get them wrong, people scratch their heads. Get them wrong while presenting a thesis, people have a hard time taking the thesis seriously. Get them wrong while presenting a thesis angrily, people roll their eyes and laugh at you.

Sorry--my bad. I forgot that in today's world we must appeal to the simple minded while nuance, purpose, and meaning is secondary.

Except it wasn't anyone filtering evidence to the NCAA, it was Iowa and isu self reporting the violations to the NCAA.

Reactions: manatree and el dub
Sorry--my bad. I forgot that in today's world we must appeal to the simple minded while nuance, purpose, and meaning is secondary.
Meaning is primary. Angry coach getting details wrong on presser like this doesn’t help the cause and actually hurts recruiting, imo. Apparently a LOT of top pfp kids have passed on the opportunity to be coached by our staff. I wonder why?

Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
jfc, this doesn’t help. The freakin’ Department of Justice? Are you kiddin me? Do TnT really think their gonna have any influence with this stuff?

I would be more on board of you shutting the eff up on this rather than Tom.
He has legit questions and facts.
I really think it could be arranged for you tell Tom to take his medicine, move on and shut the eff up.

Tom was asked a QUESTION about the gambling investigation. And guess what? Part of the head coach's job is to have press conferences, where he answers questions, and that's what he did. And don't you think he's right when he says the Iowa DCI should be asked QUESTIONS by reporters, where the public gets some ANSWERS?

Or, are you ok with just rumors and speculation on what sparked this whole thing, on what the DCI did, on who the DCI targeted, etc?

You call it a distraction; I call it getting to the bottom of it where the public has a right to know.

You say rules were broken and they need to take their medicine. Well, on Tuesday, Kirk Ferentz said what Noah Shannon did was essentially like you or I getting a speeding ticket. The punishment should fit the "crime," and we all know that losing a year of eligibility is not even close to appropriate.

that's a question that the DCI should be asked

some state Supreme Courts have ruled that traffic cameras being used to issue speeding tickets was unconstitutional and the speeding tickets were all thrown out.

Ironically, Kirk on Tueday said this was like getting a speeding ticket. Well, guess what? The DCI turned over these speeding ticket violator names to the institutions, who then had to turn the names over to the NCAA.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT