ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Nagao in the Portal

No reason Minnesota shouldn't have a sh*t ton of NIL money considering all the big businesses in the twin cities. Cargill, Land O' Lakes, etc. headquartered within a 30 mile radius.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Absolutely devastating news for a program that has sustained a *lot* of devastating news over the past 10 years. One step forward two steps back in a sport that is devolved into an annual two team race. Be grateful that you cheer for one of those two teams, lol.
Honestly, its kinda flattering that you even consider it a two team race.
I think Iowa can get there, but it feels like PSU and everyone else, even if Iowa is the clear leader of the 'everyone else'

Reactions: Cradle_king27
Not sure why there is surprise.

These days it seems most wrestlers in lower tier programs who have success will transfer to a bigger and more successful program.

Reactions: Bones Malone
Sadly, I think it's more likely that PSU ends up with both than we end up with 1. Hope like hell that I'm wrong. I still think there is good portal news for us coming, but in these types of instances... more often than not Cael gets who he wants.
So far who has Cael gotten from the portal? After they have had any sort of success anywhere else? Dean is the only one that comes to mind. The 25 pounder from Central Michigan a few years ago but that didn't really work out. So far we seem to be doing pretty good in the portal wars.

So far who has Cael gotten from the portal? After they have had any sort of success anywhere else? Dean is the only one that comes to mind. The 25 pounder from Central Michigan a few years ago but that didn't really work out. So far we seem to be doing pretty good in the portal wars.

Kyle Conel got injured and barely saw the mat when he went there. I think that was the 2020 year when they were trying to catch up to Iowa being the heavy favorite and at least make it closer. Turned out we didn't have a tournament anyway.

No reason Minnesota shouldn't have a sh*t ton of NIL money considering all the big businesses in the twin cities. Cargill, Land O' Lakes, etc. headquartered within a 30 mile radius.
C’mon man, you think a college wrestler with cauliflower ear is gonna help a company sell dairy products?
Think about it. 😉

Reactions: HawkMD
Kerklivet

C’mon man, you think a college wrestler with cauliflower ear is gonna help a company sell dairy products?
Think about it. 😉
I thought Howard was going to be there 133 next year, unless he can make the cut to 125?? Was the Minnesota 133 highly ranked coming out of high school??

Unfortunately they haven't really needed it to win and they still don't next year. Wick would have went there if his credits were accepted like he needed. I added it up before and over the years they had actually brought in a lot of transfers but many were pre portal and not necessarily blue chip transfers. Dean winning it his first year was really the best success, other than that transfers have not necessarily done much after going there compared to the rest of their wrestlers. I don't count Kerk, he was basically a new recruit.

Unfortunately they haven't really needed it to win and they still don't next year. Wick would have went there if his credits were accepted like he needed. I added it up before and over the years they had actually brought in a lot of transfers but many were pre portal and not necessarily blue chip transfers. Dean winning it his first year was really the best success, other than that transfers have not necessarily done much after going there compared to the rest of their wrestlers. I don't count Kerk, he was basically a new recruit.
Penn State was his 3rd school. Lol

I thought Howard was going to be there 133 next year, unless he can make the cut to 125?? Was the Minnesota 133 highly ranked coming out of high school??
PSU will recruit over guys. I don’t blame them cause the coaches job is to get the best guys and win. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem like TNT mentality. I feel Iowa should be looking for better options at 133, 157, 165, 184, & 197.

Cael generally doesn’t look to the portal for top end talent. Dean approached him to come to PSU and was told he needs to beat out Beard, which he obviously did. Cael didn’t pursue him. Compared to Iowa’s success with Eierman, Woods, ADS, etc., PSU has done very little. Cael spends far more energy recruiting. With that said, I’m sure he’ll at least inquire about Nagao and Truax. They’re too good not to.

PSU will recruit over guys. I don’t blame them cause the coaches job is to get the best guys and win. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem like TNT mentality. I feel Iowa should be looking for better options at 133, 157, 165, 184, & 197.
You want to get rid of Kennedy??? That would be a PSU move, recruiting over a blue chip recruit for not being AA his first year in the lineup in the toughest weight class in the country. I was disappointed also, but not ready to throw him under the bus. I agree with the other weights. Tesky may wish he stayed at UNI

Absolutely devastating news for a program that has sustained a *lot* of devastating news over the past 10 years. One step forward two steps back in a sport that is devolved into an annual two team race. Be grateful that you cheer for one of those two teams, lol.
Totally agree. I don’t care if we even get him. This transfer portal business is out of control. Parity will be a thing of ancient history.

Reactions: Pitteefool
You want to get rid of Kennedy??? That would be a PSU move, recruiting over a blue chip recruit for not being AA his first year in the lineup in the toughest weight class in the country. I was disappointed also, but not ready to throw him under the bus. I agree with the other weights. Tesky may wish he stayed at UNI
Teske starts at Iowa.

Teske starts at Iowa.
Obviously, I mean if we are looking to recruit over him. I don’t know if the coaches are looking to upgrade at his weight, but many of you guys can’t wait to throw him aside. Personally I think he could be much better if he finds the weight room in the off season.

Reactions: Bones Malone
Obviously, I mean if we are looking to recruit over him. I don’t know if the coaches are looking to upgrade at his weight, but many of you guys can’t wait to throw him aside. Personally I think he could be much better if he finds the weight room in the off season.
He wouldn't have started at UNI.

It's pretty clear the gap will widen even more after the top five or six

The portal will be the minor league for the best schools.

Hard to see how the Big 12 schools flourish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightweight87
I'm not referring to just portal. Just recruiting in general, which the portal is an extension of. Cael has done a good enough job loading talent on the front end recruiting, he hasn't had the need to go hunting for the best transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT