ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Nagao in the Portal

Who is “you guys”? I want him to choose Iowa. Just thinking from his point of view. Howard is an option at 133 but hasn’t been healthy for a couple years.
My bad, thought you were PSU fan. Question still stands about Howard

Howard has openly stated on Twitter that he is planning to wrestle 125 this upcoming season.
Surprised after a few years in college he can still make the cut, was pretty thick and muscular in high school, don’t think we considered him very long for 125 when we recruited him, but who knows.

The cool thing about recruiting is we eventually find out where a kid decides to go. I really don't worry much until then.
this is true... but early predictions allow for better mud slinging and then afterwards a lot of " I knew it the whole time " comments. I mean honestly, this is the cesspool and the only rules are : " there are NO RULES " and i am still shocked that besides the NIL money , what" Hot Mom value" is added to a recruits resume when its Crunch Time ????

Sadly, I think it's more likely that PSU ends up with both than we end up with 1. Hope like hell that I'm wrong. I still think there is good portal news for us coming, but in these types of instances... more often than not Cael gets who he wants.
Other than Dean, who followed his brother after a coaching change at Cornell, who of value has PSU picked up in the portal?

this is true... but early predictions allow for better mud slinging and then afterwards a lot of " I knew it the whole time " comments. I mean honestly, this is the cesspool and the only rules are : " there are NO RULES " and i am still shocked that besides the NIL money , what" Hot Mom value" is added to a recruits resume when its Crunch Time ????
What is funny is the confirmation bias. Usually you hear from someone who hears from someone etc. This one is easy, it's PSU because they havbe an open spot. But wait! It's Iowa because of geography, closer to Ca. and his relationship to Brands. Or maybe Cornell die top academics and whatever. Or PSU again because of Sanderson.
If I'm guessing I say PSU because of an open spot and the other stuff, but who really knows? This portal stuff and NIL has changed things and I think PSU is in great position for a lot of reasons in wrestling. The other sports not as well if I had to say.

Surprised after a few years in college he can still make the cut, was pretty thick and muscular in high school, don’t think we considered him very long for 125 when we recruited him, but who knows.

Plus he has been riddled with injury. The cut to 125 isn’t going to help with that.
Robbie Howard is a small person. He would be an undersized 133. Getting horsed around by 133 pounders would not be good for that shoulder.

Obviously, I mean if we are looking to recruit over him. I don’t know if the coaches are looking to upgrade at his weight, but many of you guys can’t wait to throw him aside. Personally I think he could be much better if he finds the weight room in the off season.

Teske seems like a good kid. I cannot envision him ever scoring significant points at Nationals.

Hildebrandt came to PSU after finishing fourth in the nation at CMU. Just because he regressed drastically at PSU doesn't mean he wasn't of value in the portal.
Kyle Conel came to PSU, too, but was never healthy. Regardless, it’s clear Iowa has had more success with the portal/transfers. PSU tends to concentrate more on recruiting. Nonetheless, I’m sure Cael will at least look at Truax and Nagao. They’re both too good not to look at all.

Reactions: kjb32812
I watched Aaron's Basch appearance. Seems like his personality would fit well within PSU. One helluva an audition for their 133 part.

Wow, a PSU homer thinks a guy would fit well at PSU. Shocking.

Let me try.

I watched his interview and I think his personality would fit well at Iowa.
Well, being that he's checking into Iowa, Cornell, PSU, or staying at Minnesota it's a fair take. My take is if he want to win an individual and team title both his best choice is PSU.
What he wants from a program or school might make a different school a better fit however. He is from California from what I understand so geography is a wash for his choices schools. Cornell might have the academics he desires on one hand, then the rest comes down to what wrestling school is his best fit. Shocking, isn't it?

Well, being that he's checking into Iowa, Cornell, PSU, or staying at Minnesota it's a fair take. My take is if he want to win an individual and team title both his best choice is PSU.
What he wants from a program or school might make a different school a better fit however. He is from California from what I understand so geography is a wash for his choices schools. Cornell might have the academics he desires on one hand, then the rest comes down to what wrestling school is his best fit. Shocking, isn't it?
If he's from California then he needs to look no further than A.C. Slater.

He knew Iowa was the only place to go for the best wrestlers from California.

Seems like a done deal.

If he's from California then he needs to look no further than A.C. Slater.

He knew Iowa was the only place to go for the best wrestlers from California.

Seems like a done deal.
Yeah.....lolol. I don't think there's many best school for any particular wrestler. I say geography because if my kid was a D1 top recruit it would've been PSU, then Cornell, then Lehigh due to school success followed by academics.
Because we already factored in Geography. He in fact applied to all of those schools and chose Lehigh. 75 minutes from home. PSU was just over 2 hours away and Cornell was 4.5. He was no college wrestler though, he rowed for one year then decided to just concentrate on school work. He's now a rocket scientist lol so he's doing well.

Yeah.....lolol. I don't think there's many best school for any particular wrestler. I say geography because if my kid was a D1 top recruit it would've been PSU, then Cornell, then Lehigh due to school success followed by academics.
Because we already factored in Geography. He in fact applied to all of those schools and chose Lehigh. 75 minutes from home. PSU was just over 2 hours away and Cornell was 4.5. He was no college wrestler though, he rowed for one year then decided to just concentrate on school work. He's now a rocket scientist lol so he's doing well.
Does he know how many cups of sugar it actually takes to get to the moon?

Team title - I can't disagree. Individual title - Iowa's history with the lighter weights is pretty top notch. I would argue Iowa's training partners at 141 and below are superior too.

Team title - I can't disagree. Individual title - Iowa's history with the lighter weights is pretty top notch. I would argue Iowa's training partners at 141 and below are superior too.
Really? I think he'd have RBY, Lee, Rutherford , Howard, Lindenhall coming in. I wouldn't say iowa is really much better if they were. I mean how much sparring does Spencer Lee do anymore?
RBY has bested Desanto recently and I'd argue Lee > woods.
But if he chose Iowa I'm sure he'd do just fine. I just think PSU would give him a little edge but I see your point.

Really? I think he'd have RBY, Lee, Rutherford , Howard, Lindenhall coming in. I wouldn't say iowa is really much better if they were. I mean how much sparring does Spencer Lee do anymore?
But if he chose Iowa I'm sure he'd do just fine. I just think PSU would give him a little edge but I see your point.
RBY has stated he is moving towards MMA. You have Lee, Ayala, Woods, Eierman and Desanto would take apart RBY in freestyle. He is now highly ranked after not even participating in freestyle until several years ago. Go up another weight and you have Lugo. You have an Olympian in Daniel Dennis and then we can go with the Brands brothers. Henry Cejudo gives quite a bit of his Olympic success to Terry. PSU just isn't the best at everything.

RBY has stated he is moving towards MMA. You have Lee, Ayala, Woods, Eierman and Desanto would take apart RBY in freestyle. He is now highly ranked after not even participating in freestyle until several years ago. Go up another weight and you have Lugo. You have an Olympian in Daniel Dennis and then we can go with the Brands brothers. Henry Cejudo gives quite a bit of his Olympic success to Terry. PSU just isn't the best at everything.
Correct me if I'm wrong but college is folk style so if RBY is in the area he could be an asset. I also know there's an MMA gym in the state college area that Bo Nickal Trains out of.
PSU would be able to prep him just fine . They did quite well at 133-157 this year.

Reactions: psuguy31
Correct me if I'm wrong but college is folk style so if RBY is in the area he could be an asset. I also know there's an MMA gym in the state college area that Bo Nickal Trains out of.
PSU would be able to prep him just fine . They did quite well at 133-157 this year.
You can stop being a smart ass any time you want. This isn't politics. I'm trying to have a decent and civil discussion with you about this. Of course college is folk style but don't kid yourself about what the top wrestlers want to train in as well. Otherwise PSU wouldn't have such an advantage at the higher weights. And I think Nagao did just fine riding RBY.

And world gold and silver medalist Gilman.

You can stop being a smart ass any time you want. This isn't politics. I'm trying to have a decent and civil discussion with you about this. Of course college is folk style but don't kid yourself about what the top wrestlers want to train in as well. Otherwise PSU wouldn't have such an advantage at the higher weights. And I think Nagao did just fine riding RBY.
How am I being a smart ass? Seriously ? I do not think iowa has a serious advantage room wise , psu is close to equal or maybe even ahead.
They're down lately at 125 but have done well at 133 -157 this year along with other training partners .

Don't waste your time or energy. He's clearly an idiot.

Reactions: DirkTang1
How am I being a smart ass? Seriously ? I do not think iowa has a serious advantage room wise , psu is close to equal or maybe even ahead.
They're down lately at 125 but have done well at 133 -157 this year along with other training partners .
Just proof read your comments and if they don't come off as being snarky, well I guess that's just an east coast thing. There, I've sunken to the level.

And I never said they have a serious advantage. I said the are just as good. You were the one who said if they wanted to win an individual title he should go to PSU. I just gave you reasons why Iowa was just as good, and in my estimation, better at the lighter weights. You disagreed. Leave it at that. Every discussion does not have to have a winner and a loser. For f sake this is tiring. You're on the Hawkeye Board so expect some push back and if you truly want to have discussions, save the PSU is greater at everything need.

I think when assessing the lightweight training partners between HWC and NLWC, a lot will depend on Spencer's involvement. Clearly, he said he's going to remain a part of HWC, but he apparently wasn't doing much training during the season due to his health/knees, and it would seem that he will be (or should be) doing whatever it takes to be healthy for his senior freestyle wrestling in the Olympics and Worlds, etc., which means he might not be available for training the college kids much going forward, either (although obviously as part of HWC, he will at least be there for support and advice). We'll see. Either program is a great landing spot regardless.

Just proof read your comments and if they don't come off as being snarky, well I guess that's just an east coast thing. There, I've sunken to the level.
@bourbon n blues I have to agree a little with @ChiPackHawk here. Any time someone starts with "with all due respect" or "correct me if I'm wrong" usually has a snarky taint. Especially given that we are visitors to the Hawkeye forum. So we need to go a little above and beyond in being polite and non-argumentative. I had a little episode myself this season and had to apologize to a few members here. So I'm not riding a high horse. I learned from a mistake and am trying to be more cognizant of the fact I'm an uninvited visitor here. I don't think you had ill intentions but the post did read a little snarky. You both have valid arguments and neither is likely to sway the other.

@bourbon n blues I have to agree a little with @ChiPackHawk here. Any time someone starts with "with all due respect" or "correct me if I'm wrong" usually has a snarky taint. Especially given that we are visitors to the Hawkeye forum. So we need to go a little above and beyond in being polite and non-argumentative. I had a little episode myself this season and had to apologize to a few members here. So I'm not riding a high horse. I learned from a mistake and am trying to be more cognizant of the fact I'm an uninvited visitor here. I don't think you had ill intentions but the post did read a little snarky. You both have valid arguments and neither is likely to sway the other.
Okay... now you're starting to sound like a kiss ass, which some in here also won't like. I recommend trying harder. Perhaps finding a better middle ground?
For me, that's usually reminding people that if they mention their wife or girlfriend or even someone else's wife or girlfriend then they are required to post pictures.

That usually brings us all back to common ground, which I appreciate. Just food for thought.

(I'm joking. But I did like what you said)

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
Well stated - I hope to "argue" with you someday;)

You forgot that trying too hard is frowned upon here too!
giphy.gif

For the record, my non-snarky allegedly PSU homer-tastic take was mostly based on his reliance on God in guiding his decision, and his quoting Bible chapter and verse during the interview.

I think a few Hawk fans may have expressed they don't have faith that extends to a belief God cares about wrestling (at least not since Samson). Not saying these sentiments extend to the Hawks room, but some wrestlers read the boards.

Aaron Nagao may be another 'no false prophets' Aaron, is all I'm saying.

Reactions: el dub
In Aaron's interview the other day, I thought he said he was interested in doing ju jit su (no idea on how to spell that) after college wrestling. Maybe I misunderstood, but I gathered that that was his future asperations, not freestyle.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT