ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Nagao in the Portal

Never noticed how Bo always extended a hand to help his opponent up after a fall or any win for that matter? It wasn’t always wanted, but was always there.

As I understand it, Bo lead a bible study group in college and met his wife at one such meeting.

He may be a trash talker, but I believe his faith to be real and not an act.
Intent is the big question behind the helping them up thing. Was it truly a genuine act to help, without ever realizing how condescending it truly was? Did no one ever point out to him how condescending it was? Did he keep doing it, even after someone pointed it out to him?

Maybe the intent was truly genuine. However, it was talked about so much that I simply can't believe he didn't realize what it looked like...

I didn't hear the commitment so I'll just move on from the religious part. It's a weird battle to fight though and I wonder if you also question Bull's motives.

In regards to recruiting over kids, it's sour grapes. We are long past the days of wringing our hands over a coach not being loyal. As long as Cael isn't making anyone any promises, then he can do whatever he likes. A kid can transfer at any point and, last I checked, Cael gets paid to graduate kids and win wrestling matches. You see the exact same thing in football every single year. Hard to believe that you would have a problem with Iowa recruiting the absolute best talent they could every single year.

Finally, who has this strategy hurt in your opinion? Beard? Teske? Nevills? These kids all know exactly what they are getting into when they commit. Doesn't seem to be coming back to bite PSU in the ass
I didn't hear the commitment so I'll just move on from the religious part. It's a weird battle to fight though and I wonder if you also question Bull's motives.

In regards to recruiting over kids, it's sour grapes. We are long past the days of wringing our hands over a coach not being loyal. As long as Cael isn't making anyone any promises, then he can do whatever he likes. A kid can transfer at any point and, last I checked, Cael gets paid to graduate kids and win wrestling matches. You see the exact same thing in football every single year. Hard to believe that you would have a problem with Iowa recruiting the absolute best talent they could every single year.

Finally, who has this strategy hurt in your opinion? Beard? Teske? Nevills? These kids all know exactly what they are getting into when they commit. Doesn't seem to be coming back to bite PSU in the ass.
Bull didn’t say he chose the Iowa program because that was were he can serve God, like your new dude did, and I didn’t even know Bull was that religious until the end of his career when he started wearing that shirt. I never said there was anything wrong with the over recruiting of blue chip you guys do, since you said Cael makes it clear they may ride pine and if you don’t like it, goodbye. My point was many of us Iowa fans wished Brands would have been more like that instead of being loyal to his guys.

Reactions: kjb32812
Parity is good for every sport. What's happening at PSU is not good, and if Cael is this great coach, he will realize this. I'd pull back if I were him; too many eyes are on the program, you can only start 10 guys and it's bad for the sport. The football team was winning too, as people kept turning a blind eye to JoePa and his assistants. And it won't look good when 6 of his guys hit the portal.

Parity is good for every sport. What's happening at PSU is not good, and if Cael is this great coach, he will realize this. I'd pull back if I were him; too many eyes are on the program, you can only start 10 guys and it's bad for the sport. The football team was winning too, as people kept turning a blind eye to JoePa and his assistants. And it won't look good when 6 of his guys hit the portal.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Some preach, some practice, some do both. It seems to me that Iowa is more about practicing than preaching. That is the more "PC" thing to do, especially considering you represent a Public University. However, it seems PSU has fostered this to a point where it no longer can be contained or they even try to.

Mind you, it may also show a lack of inclusivity by coming off as such a secular, God fearing program. PSU is doing so well, they have that luxury. But, does Iowa want to risk losing out on a big recruit because he isn't religious and doesn't want to go somewhere were it is so heavily indoctrinated?
I do not know why the PSU guys mention God so much, but it seems to be a real part of their life. One would think that only including people with strong faith would limit the team. I am guessing that Cael does not make that a requirement to be recruited.

I do notice that PSU guys and Cael talk about being better every day and reaching their potential and having fun. Iowa talks about winning. That strikes me as the difference between having a parent who tells you to be a good person and do the right thing and a parent that tells you to make a lot of money and be successful.

We cannot argue that the messaging of PSU and Iowa is different. The coaches may have the same level of faith and morality, but the messaging is sure different.

Also, if I am not mistaken - one of the core beliefs in Mormonism is the there are levels of heaven. So one person who lives a good life will end up in a certain place and a person who lives a better life will end up in a better place. Now don't ask me what a good life and a better life means. It is just a belief. that allow for the Mormons to be more accepting of other faiths and ways of living.

I do not know why the PSU guys mention God so much, but it seems to be a real part of their life. One would think that only including people with strong faith would limit the team. I am guessing that Cael does not make that a requirement to be recruited.

I do notice that PSU guys and Cael talk about being better every day and reaching their potential and having fun. Iowa talks about winning. That strikes me as the difference between having a parent who tells you to be a good person and do the right thing and a parent that tells you to make a lot of money and be successful.

We cannot argue that the messaging of PSU and Iowa is different. The coaches may have the same level of faith and morality, but the messaging is sure different.

Also, if I am not mistaken - one of the core beliefs in Mormonism is the there are levels of heaven. So one person who lives a good life will end up in a certain place and a person who lives a better life will end up in a better place. Now don't ask me what a good life and a better life means. It is just a belief. that allow for the Mormons to be more accepting of other faiths and ways of living.
I wouldn't argue against a single thing you said. Personally, I am actually quite religious. However, I learned early on that my religion isn't for everyone and my one and only argument against some of my fellow Christians is the "my way is the ONLY way and you have to TELL everyone that" mentality. I truly believe in tolerance for other religions.

On its face, I personally like the Iowa approach more where you KNOW where they stand with religion, but they don't preach it out in the open, they practice it. But, I also do get that if you can put together a strong nucleus like PSU has where you can get a lot of like minds together, it can and does flourish.

In my experience, religion wasn't nearly at the forefront of wrestling. I am sure it may have been different for other programs, but I never really ran into it as a "team focus" However, it sure seems like it is a much bigger deal now. I just think it takes a very special person to be able to cultivate it in a team setting and there is such a fine line you would have to walk to get it done at most universities.

I wouldn't argue against a single thing you said. Personally, I am actually quite religious. However, I learned early on that my religion isn't for everyone and my one and only argument against some of my fellow Christians is the "my way is the ONLY way and you have to TELL everyone that" mentality. I truly believe in tolerance for other religions.

On its face, I personally like the Iowa approach more where you KNOW where they stand with religion, but they don't preach it out in the open, they practice it. But, I also do get that if you can put together a strong nucleus like PSU has where you can get a lot of like minds together, it can and does flourish.

In my experience, religion wasn't nearly at the forefront of wrestling. I am sure it may have been different for other programs, but I never really ran into it as a "team focus" However, it sure seems like it is a much bigger deal now. I just think it takes a very special person to be able to cultivate it in a team setting and there is such a fine line you would have to walk to get it done at most universities.
If they foster a live and let live mentality they're probably ok.

Whenever a Jehovah's Witness comes a knockin' at my door and asks me, "Do you realize the world is going to hell in hand basket?" I answer "Yes." We'll talk politely, I will get invited to their church, I will thank them for stopping by, and I'll send them on their way.

Testifying is part of their religion. I am tolerant of it. They seem to genuinely care about saving my everlasting soul. I am appreciative of that.

I don't know why someone else testifying to their faith should bother another in the least, when their intention is to save--even when nobody is asking to be saved. I suspect it has something to do with the ego of those who do not wish to be offered another's form of salvation.

For the record, I am an inculcated Roman Catholic by birth who rarely practices formally. I am also philosophically (not religiously) Tibetan Buddhist by choice, where continual practice is essential.

The universe is 14 billion years old; there are 30 octillion stars in the sky, give or take; that's a 3 followed by 27 zeros; the sun is a minor star; the earth is 4.5 billion years old; it's a small planet orbiting a minor star; humans have been around for only 140,000 years, less than a blade of grass if a football field captured all of time; the three major religions were founded before man or woman had invented the wheelbarrow, much less understood quantum physics or Darwin's theory of natural selection, which unlike the three major religions has withstood the scientific method. The idea that all of this was put here for humans, at this point in time -- call me skeptical.

But I don't know why there's something rather than nothing, so maybe I'm wrong.

Nagao is a good wrestler. If there's a God, I doubt he/she cares where Nagao has decided to wrestle or whether Aaron Brooks wins nationals or whether Penn State is any good. Same for Iowa.

Whenever a Jehovah's Witness comes a knockin' at my door and asks me, "Do you realize the world is going to hell in hand basket?" I answer "Yes." We'll talk politely, I will get invited to their church, I will thank them for stopping by, and I'll send them on their way.

Testifying is part of their religion. I am tolerant of it. They seem to genuinely care about saving my everlasting soul. I am appreciative of that.

I don't know why someone else testifying to their faith should bother another in the least, when their intention is to save--even when nobody is asking to be saved. I suspect it has something to do with the ego of those who do not wish to be offered another's form of salvation.

For the record, I am an inculcated Roman Catholic by birth who rarely practices formally. I am also philosophically (not religiously) Tibetan Buddhist by choice, where continual practice is essential.
When they knock on my door, I say no thanks and shut the door. Then I follow them home and knock on their door and tell them why their worldview is bs and mine is better, and that I'm willing to save them. They don't like it, so I guess it means they have an ego problem. 🙄

When they knock on my door, I say no thanks and shut the door. Then I follow them home and knock on their door and tell them why their worldview is bs and mine is better, and that I'm willing to save them. They don't like it, so I guess it means they have an ego problem. 🙄
I think you and I would get along really well in real life, lol.

They don't like it, so I guess it means they have an ego problem.
@Trapper85, that would be exactly correct. It happens when one is told
their worldview is BS.

For what is one's worldview but a manifestation of their ego. It is their dependent arising that causes them to be so strongly attached to the resultant self-identity and beliefs. And the same causes a strong aversion to alternatives.

Now if they arrived in the middle of dinner ...

I was polite when they came to my door. I was 19, it was summer, I mowed the lawn, and I had a cold beer. I talked briefly and mentioned I was a Lutheran and solid in my faith.
Then I mention how I am hot, sweaty, and tired and just wanna watch my ball game and enjoy a cold beer. The lady said so you're trying to tell me nicely to bug off? I just smiled and said yes please, you just go have a good day.
You could be polite, but direct to these people and they'll take the hint.

Another time at PSU we had an evangelist stop at our apartment trying to save us. He seemed to be a little nuts and I upset him by saying no thanks I like drinking and whoring too much. I'll just repent later because God forgives right? That prodigal son BS is a thing right??
He got mad so we told him to leave in an impolite way. Good times at Beaver Hill.

Last edited:
I was just making a point, I was/am respectful and polite to anyone who knocks on my door (unless they are pointing a gun). I do confess though that I have wanted to follow them home and preach on their doorstep.

And the same causes a strong aversion to alternatives.

Rest assured, I have changed my thoughts on many topics (work and personal) over the years. I'm imperfect at objective self-analysis for sure, but I'd bet big money that the volume and diversity of books on my shelf shows that I explore far more alteratives (on any topic) than someone who knocks on doors to share their worldview, or does so on social media regularly.

I think you and I would get along really well in real life, lol.
If I join Facebook, will you be my friend? I need at least 1 to show my wife I really do have friends, after which I'll close my account while I'm still ahead.

I now tap out of this worldview discussion.

I was just making a point, I was/am respectful and polite to anyone who knocks on my door (unless they are pointing a gun). I do confess though that I have wanted to follow them home and preach on their doorstep.

Rest assured, I have changed my thoughts on many topics (work and personal) over the years. I'm imperfect at objective self-analysis for sure, but I'd bet big money that the volume and diversity of books on my shelf shows that I explore far more alteratives (on any topic) than someone who knocks on doors to share their worldview, or does so on social media regularly.

If I join Facebook, will you be my friend? I need at least 1 to show my wife I really do have friends, after which I'll close my account while I'm still ahead.

I now tap out of this worldview discussion.
I'm sure you are very polite, but sometimes you need to get a little forward. JWs seem to be polite. Some evangelical types can be over baord.

Congrats! This post wins the internets for the week. I’m guessing this will travel. Lol

Btw, you meant parody, not parity, right?

Where was the parody during the Gable years that we all enjoyed so much?

Congrats! This post wins the internets for the week. I’m guessing this will travel. Lol

Btw, you meant parody, not parity, right?

Where was the parody during the Gable years that we all enjoyed so much?
Take a poll of Iowa fans , if they don't 100% agree that they would like the same results you know some are fibbing,

I was polite when they came to my door. I was 19, it was summer, I mowed the lawn, and I had a cold beer. I talked briefly and mentioned I was a Lutheran and solid in my faith.
Then I mention how I am hot, sweaty, and tired and just wanna watch my ball game and enjoy a cold beer. The lady said so you're trying to tell me nicely to bug off? I just smiled and said yes please, you just go have a good day.
I was hoping that was becoming a Dear Penthouse story. Should of showed her your dead lift.

If and I mean this is a Huge If and Star would take over the Club with Telford I would pay Nolf and Cox whatever they want!! Those would be my only 2 I would even consider trading for Ryan and/or Bobby!!

the three major religions were founded before man or woman had invented the wheelbarrow, much less understood quantum physics or Darwin's theory of natural selection, which unlike the three major religions has withstood the scientific method.
I couldn't disagree more heartily with the core of your message, but I'm not getting into a debate on here.

My questions is this: What do you consider the three major religions to be?

I’d like to see Terry take over the HWC. Then I’d like to see an assistant with a new perspective come on board.
I haven’t seen it mentioned much, but doesn’t it feel like the right time to get Gable Steveson on staff as that assistant or to drive a dump truck of HWC money up to get him to switch Clubs?

1. Upper weight
2. Gold medalist, Hodge, etc.
3. Not locked in to NLWC $ (yet)
4. Huge name recognition
5. Seems unlikely to get WWE pay day
6. Seems (I’m no expert) to have a favorable opinion of Iowa.
7. Still close-ish to home for him.
8. Don’t know the make-up of Gopher WC, but have to imagine Cass and Telford would be comprable training partners.
9. Other Gophers have been welcome in the room before (Dardanes, Berhow).

Feels like a win-win.

I agree Nolf, Cox, Dake, Taylor, etc. bring a lot of similar qualities, but I never see GS mentioned. Too young? Concern over past allegations? Feels like he’s still trying to figure out what he wants and there’s a window to present the Iowa option.

I couldn't disagree more heartily with the core of your message, but I'm not getting into a debate on here.

My questions is this: What do you consider the three major religions to be?
Let's not debate. I don't think less of you because of your faith. It's all good.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT