ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Worst Iowa game you’ve attended.

Easthawk1062

All-Conference
Jun 28, 2021
Figured I’d try to start something new to talk about for awhile. What’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite game you’ve attended. My favorite is 09 Michigan at night, Sat in the end zone Moeaki scored both TDs in and where Clayborn smoked Tate Forcier. My least favorite game was the 2012 Central Michigan game 🤢 honorable mention 2015 big ten title game might be my favorite (but the most I’ve had my heart ripped out all in one) looking forward to hearing everyone’s.

Figured I’d try to start something new to talk about for awhile. What’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite game you’ve attended. My favorite is 09 Michigan at night, Sat in the end zone Moeaki scored both TDs in and where Clayborn smoked Tate Forcier. My least favorite game was the 2012 Central Michigan game 🤢 honorable mention 2015 big ten title game might be my favorite (but the most I’ve had my heart ripped out all in one) looking forward to hearing everyone’s.
Best - Versus Purdue in 2002 (the Dallas Clark game). Was exhausted and tingly all evening.

Bad: OSU 98 or 99. Joe Germaine and his giant facemask and David Boston torched Iowa.

Great. PSU when Stanzi and the boys (Myers) marched down for the GW FG.

HM: Anthony Dean late TD to beat Wiscy in the early 90s.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Best
  • October 19, 1985.
    • If you need the opponent, circumstances or stakes explained to you, just go ahead and turn in your fan card now.
Worst
  • Blowout variety: Nov 8, 2014 @Minnesota.
    • 51-14 buck-toothed, disease-ridden rodents, and frankly it wasn't even that close.
  • Rip Your Guts Out variety: Nov 10, 1990.
    • In the immortal style of Matt Roth, Ol' Doodle has two words for you: Bobby F--king Olive.

Worst for me has to be 1993 at home against an Illinois team that finished 5-6. They whipped Hayden's Hawks that day 49-3. You thought it was embarrassing losing to highly ranked teams this past year in the way they did, how about something worse against a bad team. Good thing message boards and social media didn't exist back then.

Best: 2005 Capital One Bowl, 2004 Wisconsin
Worst: 2012 Central Michigan, 2006 Outback Bowl (Florida fans are the worst!)

Reactions: 59DAWG
Best is tough..

Hayden upset over the Huskers
Beating MSU to go to the 82 Rose Bowl
Dallas Clark beats Purdue
Beating Troy Smith the Unicorn Lover

Worst

Losing to Central Michigan.

Loss -> Indiana 2007. James Hardy went OFF on Adam Shada.

Wins -> A ton of good ones, but Minnesota 2008 55-0 sticks out & LSU Holloway catch.

Forgot to add Purdue 2002 - just a chess match!

2017 OSU - one of last games with late father.

Best is a tie between capital 1 Tate to Holloway & 2009 at Michigan st.

Worst 2021 purdue at Iowa

Iowa beating nebby back in 1981
Iowa at the last rose Bowl

Best - 3 way tie between
- 1985 v Michigan #1 v #2.
- 2004 v Wisconsin to claim the B1G title. Fans stood the whole game
- 1981 v Michigan St to earn a Rose Bowl berth after two decades of futility.

Worst -
- Just about every game I went to in college (1973-1976)

Worst:
Northwestern @ Kinnick Stadium. I can't remember what year, but it's been within the past 6-7 years. We lost the game, the weather was overcast all day, a NW player got injured and was carted off the field and wasn't moving, it took around 40+ minutes to get him off the field.

I remember it being a slow, painful, disgusting slog of a game. Puts me in a bad mood just thinking about it. And it's one of the reasons why I absolutely hate playing NW, because it feels like they force us to play the ugliest kind of football imaginable.

Best:
PSU 07
MSU 10

Best:

Best that ever would have been............................ Iowa vs Minnesota 2023..................gd replay ref!

Iowa at Mich State in 2009 when 7 got 6 and Dantonio looked like someone just nut punched him.

Iowa vs Ohio State in 2017.

Iowa at Wisconsin in 2015.

One back in 2003 ish timeframe where we beat the tar of out Ohio State in Kinnick.

Iowa at Minnesota in 2002

Nate Stanleys first road game in 2017 when he tossed a walk off TD to ISM in overtime to beat Iowa State in Ames.

Worst: I would have to say vs Nebraska in 2022 would be right up there. West title on the line against a crap team and we poop ourselves.

Also Penn State when they beat us in the last minute (2018-ish) with McSorley tossing the TD.

I’ll get flack for this but the most fun (maybe not the best) time I’ve ever had at an Iowa game was the 2015 big ten title game loss to Michigan State. It was electric and exhilarating.
The two worst experiences by far were the only bowl games I’ve ever been to. The Rose Bowl against Stanford and the 2006 Outback Bowl against Florida and the refs.

Michigan at Iowa, 1984.

I was 12, and watched Iowa win 26-0.

I even booed Bo Schembechler one of the many times he was out on the field complaining to the refs. And that was the first time I got to experience the "Tastes Great" vs. "Less Filling" chants in the stands at Kinnick.

Awesome day.

Reactions: lonhawk and Hwkfn1
Best- I've always had 3... for 3 different reasons.
Orange Bowl vs GT to FINALLY get that BCS Bowl win.
Ohio St. for most enjoyable from start to finish.
Capital One vs LSU for most exciting finish.

Worst. Freaking Rose Bowl.

Reactions: wilson reborn
Worst was a freezing ass cold low scoring home loss to Northwestern when Stanley was QB. Pathetic and awful game.

WORST - PSU 1993, 31-0. Did see KiJana and Collins at the Union that night, which seemed kind of odd.

BEST - LSU. I was on the sideline. In THE corner, when Holloway caught the ball. Got to celebrate on the field after as well. Amazing experience.

Best 1985 vs Illini 59-0

Worst Bobby Fin Olive

I believe I remember Merton Hanks tipping a pass in the air which OSU caught and housed just before halftime. Never watched the replay but we had sooooo many chances before BFO happened.

BEST: 2000 Michigan State

WORST: choose....2007 Western Michigan or 2012 Central Michigan

I will say went to many when Hayden was coach also. Best I watched in person back in that day was probably when we beat UCLA in Kinnick. UCLA was a bigger thing back then.

WORST - PSU 1993, 31-0. Did see KiJana and Collins at the Union that night, which seemed kind of odd.

BEST - LSU. I was on the sideline. In THE corner, when Holloway caught the ball. Got to celebrate on the field after as well. Amazing experience.
Penn State players were having some fun on our campus after kicking our ass?

Reactions: BlameIt
Worst: 1998, Iowa St @ Iowa...clowns win 27-9...ending Fry's 15 year streak.

Best: 2002, Iowa @ Michigan...Iowa dominates the second half, silences the 110K fans and wins 34-9.

2004, Iowa @ Penn St...Iowa 6-4 is a close best!

Best Beating Nebraska in 80 or 81
Best Beating Michigan in 1 vrs 2 game
Best @MSU Stanzi to McNutt

Worst losing to Western Michigan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT