ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Worst Iowa game you’ve attended.

By far the most intense game I’ve been to. On the long Iowa TD pass I about blacked out ha. Was so cool standing at the tunnel where the team busses entered the stadium. Hear was absolutely ripped out but one of the coolest parts was the whole stadium chanting let’s go Hawks as the swarm left the field after the game.
A lot of big Iowa wins in the last decade or so, were what I call “Iowa State” type wins. Beating a top 5 team at home but in an average season where you lose like four or five games, just doesn’t mean as much to me. Nothing was really on the line in Michigan 2016 or Ohio State 2017. Everything was on the line in that title game in 2015. Similar to Michigan in 1985 and Ohio State in 2009. Those are the type of games that Iowa doesn’t get to play in often, but when they do, it’s memorable.

Best was probably Trick or Treat Iowa City against Indiana.
Worst maybe also against Indiana when Randal El made us look silly.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Best at Wisconsin during our undeafeated season

The worst 2 years later at Wisconsin where is was a brutal cold night game we lost despite 2 pick sixes by Jackson

Best: #1 Iowa vs #2 Michigan 1985

Worst: Tie between any of the home losses to ISMoo, the inexplicable loss to Western Michigan in 2007 or Hayden's finale in Minnesota. Watching him walk off the field I knew it was over.

Figured I’d try to start something new to talk about for awhile. What’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite game you’ve attended. My favorite is 09 Michigan at night, Sat in the end zone Moeaki scored both TDs in and where Clayborn smoked Tate Forcier. My least favorite game was the 2012 Central Michigan game 🤢 honorable mention 2015 big ten title game might be my favorite (but the most I’ve had my heart ripped out all in one) looking forward to hearing everyone’s.
Best was the ‘85 Michigan game. I am of the Lauterber era so it’s tough to single out the worst.

Best
- Beating Neb 1981 (I was a hs classmate Roger Craig’s brother Curtis)
- #1 Iowa beating # 2 MI
- 2021 Penn St. (My kids were there. Dolphin told me loudest he’d heard Kinnick)

Worst
The Rose Bowls
2021 B1G Championship loss to MI
Fake punt loss to Wisky
When we have games at Central I will point out the pictures in the lockerroom of D-1 running back after D-1 running back as to why Central was such a power for many years.

Best - at PSU in 1996 when Tim Dwight returned a punt for a long TD and the hawks won. I was invited by some of the brass from the Weis grocery chain, who were naturally PSU fans. It was kind of a boring hour ride back to Lewisburg because there was no cheering those guys up. Not that I wanted to.
Worst - Alamo Bowl against Texas in 2005 or 6. we could have won that game against a good UT team but just fell short.
The good thing that came from that was I became an annual ticket holder for that game and while I usually sell my tickets for a nice profit, I go occasionally. Hoping that one day the Big Ten will once again be a participant.
All the miserable games I attended as a student in the late 60‘s don‘t count as I was usually pretty well gassed by kickoff.

WORST: Either the 1996 loss at Tulsa, 2007 home loss to W Michigan or pick any home game in 1973.
BEST: Too many to choose from - 1974 win over ranked UCLA (ended horrific losing streak), 1977 win over Iowa State, 1981 win over Michigan St (to go to Rose Bowl), 1985 over Michigan. 20 more after that...

Worst:
2024 Citrus Bowl (0-35)
2017 Outback Bowl (3-30)
1980 vs. Arizona (3-5)

Best:
2005 Cap One (30-25)
1985 Michigan (12-10)
1985 MSU (35-31)

BEST: 1981 opener vs. Nebraska, my first Iowa game as a freshman student at the U of I.

WORST: 2022 last regular season game vs. Nebraska. Watching us come up empty and handing Purdue the West division title was a complete day of suck.

Reactions: lonhawk
Best:
1990 at Minn (refs giving Iowa fans noise warning. we lost the game but I'd never seen anything like it)
1991 at OSU (stripped decal game)
2000 vs MSU (Rebound under way)
2002 vs Purdue
2004 vs LSU (hugged complete strangers)
2009 at PSU (safety & blocked punt)
2013 at Neb (hadn't won their in over 80 years)

Worst:
1990 vs OSU (still mad about this as we doubled their yardage. Hanks just knock it down!)
2005 vs Mich (we were hosed)
2005 vs Flor (we were hosed again)

• Love
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Best & worst... 2015 B1G championship. Great atmosphere and great road trip. Great Friday night bars scene..... Worst ending ever.

Best WINS:
2009 Indiana trick-or-treat

2008 Purdue - was damn fun watching Greene go nuts. Got Free tickets, was surprised that fans hadn't fully jumped onboard in a sparsely attended game.

2015 Purdue - I don't remember how good the game was, but soaking in that season and clenching the B1G west was great.

Worst Loses:
2015 championship

2010 - Wisconsin - Ugh, Kinda blocked this from my memory until someone mentioned it in this thread. Ugh

2012?? PSU. Only game I've seen ever left early (3rd quarter). Could hear PSU continue to score as we walked away from the stadium 😔

Western Michigan 😔. Whatever year that was...07?

Last edited:
Best is easy: Beating Iowa State in '77. We hadn't played them in decades, and it was a Big Deal. Don't remember exactly how it went (I was a freshman), but we won 12-10. And there was much rejoicing.

Best 1981 win vs Michigan State to earn our first Rose Bowl in decades.

Worst loss to NDSU in 2016

While I was there for "All Up" my favorite is still 2002 vs. Purdue.

The worst is harder to pick. 2010 WI, 2007 WMU, 2009 NW, and 2006 OSU all stand out. WMU might take the cake because those other years felt like IA was on the verge of bigger and better and were gut punched, but that was just needing to beat a MAC team at home on senior day for a bowl game, and it was never competitive.

Best - Versus Purdue in 2002 (the Dallas Clark game). Was exhausted and tingly all evening.
Worst - losing to Purdue on senior day a few years ago. Purdue receivers kept beating Iowa secondary deep. Buddy and I had tickets from Rockwell-Collins at field level, right behind the north end zone. Froze my arse off and I thought I had dressed appropriately.

Losing to McCarney & ISU in Kinnick in 1998, breaking the 15 year winning streak was right up there. Was the beginning of the end for Hayden's regime at Iowa.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Bad: OSU 98 or 99. Joe Germaine and his giant facemask and David Boston torched Iowa.

Great. PSU when Stanzi and the boys (Myers) marched down for the GW FG.

HM: Anthony Dean late TD to beat Wiscy in the early 90s.
TD? Wasn’t it a 2pt conversion?

Worst by far is MSU in 15' for the B10 championship for games I actually attended.

Best
09' at ISU
10' at Michigan
04' OSU
09' Orange Bowl GT

I've thought this over before.

Best:
1) 2021 Penn St. The prefect day. Tailgated with my best friends from HS and College that traveled in and sat with my 13 year old son on my left and my parents who introduced me to Kinnick and Iowa football on my right. Can't beat that.
2) Michigan 85.
3) Michigan St 85
4) Michigan St 81
5) Michigan 2003
6) Purdue 2002

Edit: Didn't know we were including road games:
2002 Minnesota
2021 ISU/son's first game at CSJTF. That was such a satisfying victory. Seeing how confident clone fans were all year leading up to that game made game week/day so much fun. I was supremely confident in the Hawks and won a boat load on the ML.

Worst:
Ohio St 90

Last edited:
I sort of actually prefer watching on TV and even when I was an undergrad I’d only typically go to one game a year.

Best was 2009 vs Michigan, as a freshman.

Worst was 2012 vs Central Michigan, as a senior.

What a difference 4 years made there.

Best is easy: Beating Iowa State in '77. We hadn't played them in decades, and it was a Big Deal. Don't remember exactly how it went (I was a freshman), but we won 12-10. And there was much rejoicing.
All the points were scored in the first half in a span of about 7 1/2 minutes of game time.

ISU scored first on a 63 yard punt return and the PAT made it 7-0.

On Iowa's next possession Dennis Mosley had a 77 yard TD run and the PAT failed, 7-6.

The ISU QB fumbled the ball a short time later and the Hawks recovered it on ISU's 19 yard line.

Iowa's Joe Lazar scored two plays later after his two runs of 9 & 10 yards. The 2 Point conversion failed, 12-7.

ISU kicked a 42 yard FG after they recovered an Iowa fumble, a 12-10 win for the good guys.

Reactions: bawlmerhawk
I sort of actually prefer watching on TV and even when I was an undergrad I’d only typically go to one game a year.

Best was 2009 vs Michigan, as a freshman.

Worst was 2012 vs Central Michigan, as a senior.

What a difference 4 years made there.
Was at the 09 Michigan game and loved it.
Also unfortunately was at 2012 Western Michigan game and that is my worst.

Reactions: bulletproof90
Best
  • October 19, 1985.
    • If you need the opponent, circumstances or stakes explained to you, just go ahead and turn in your fan card now.
Worst
  • Blowout variety: Nov 8, 2014 @Minnesota.
    • 51-14 buck-toothed, disease-ridden rodents, and frankly it wasn't even that close.
  • Rip Your Guts Out variety: Nov 10, 1990.
    • In the immortal style of Matt Roth, Ol' Doodle has two words for you: Bobby F--king Olive.
I second Doodle's list! I had just moved to Florida the prior January but was back in Iowa for a wedding and attended two October games in 1985.
Maybe a runner up would be the Capital One bowl with Tate to Holloway. We had a huge crew sitting together with some LSU fans right behind us.
The Bobby F--king Olive game was the worst feeling ever!

Bad: OSU 98 or 99. Joe Germaine and his giant facemask and David Boston torched Iowa.

Great. PSU when Stanzi and the boys (Myers) marched down for the GW FG.

HM: Anthony Dean late TD to beat Wiscy in the early 90s.
I was at that OSU game too. I think it was 98. Funny side story: my brother and I were sitting in the 2nd row around the 45 yard line on the OSU sideline (No idea how we got those tix!) when somebody near us started heckling David Boston and Antoine Winfield as they were sitting on the bench. David Boston turned around and yelled something back and John Cooper chewed him out in front of everyone for responding to hecklers. You could definitely tell he was embarrassed. Maybe that's why he kicked the crap out of Iowa that day!

That's an interesting choice for "Worst game ever attended." That game (it was '98) went pretty much as everyone expected, and Iowa's season was already trash by that point. I wonder if it hit hard because it was Hayden's last home game and you knew he was toast?

Or maybe you've just been very fortunate not be be present for one of Iowa's absolute gut-wrenching losses over the years...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT