ADVERTISEMENT

Burglary charges filed....

I heard Zain is going 149. Anyone confirm that?
Don't think there is confirmation, but there seems to be plenty of buzz about it.

One thing to caution is that just because 141 is losing a lot of hammers, doesn't mean it won't re-load. 133 graduated a lot when Ramos, Graff, Colon, and a couple others left, but you saw guys quickly make that one of the toughest weight classes.

Well, that's a bummer............................

Hope Carton hits the freestyle circuit this summer.

Tough deal about these three young lads...but am glad Iowa, Brands, and staff are being tough on crime. Being a student athlete is a privilege most people never have the opportunity to experience. Lets hope these three can get some education and pursue fields/jobs that will allow them to be productive members of our communities. It won't be easy.

Tough deal about these three young lads...but am glad Iowa, Brands, and staff are being tough on crime. Being a student athlete is a privilege most people never have the opportunity to experience. Lets hope these three can get some education and pursue fields/jobs that will allow them to be productive members of our communities. It won't be easy.

Agree with that. In their defense (of their characters - not the crimes), they got drunk on St. Patrick's day and broke into some cars and 2 garages on a drunken outing. It very likely was not premeditated robbery. It was not robbery over several nights. They didn't break into houses, just the garages. No real chance for personal contact with the owners. I'm sure they thought it was harmless in their drunkenness. Hopefully, the courts take it easy on them so as not to ruin their lives over one stupid, stupid night.

They are presumed innocent in the U.S. of A.

But beingk icked off the team is the obvious right move.

Reactions: MCPOHawk
What are people's thoughts on Topher? Low level recruit, getting into the starting line-up this year after people were screaming for him to get the nod over Jeva the past two years.

Carton is ranked #65 at 141 by WrestleStats. 12-4 record last year (0-1 against ranked D1 opponents), 35-11 career record; most notable win: 9-7 over #40 Canfora (Penn). He's been in the room 3 years. Suffice it to say he'd better step on the gas now if he wants to help the Hawks win a title.

I haven't been able to find videos of any of Carton's matches over the past year. There were a few matches on Flo from the April 2014 Fila Nationals where Carton took second, losing by tech fall to McKenna in the finals. McKenna took Carton down twice, and looked more skilled overall. If I am not mistaken, McKenna beat Dziewa at Midlands so it is not the worst loss in the world, but it also suggests that at least as of last year, Carton was a tier or two behind the top guys. Based on what I've seen of him, Carton appears to be significantly stronger than either Dziewa or Gross. He has an athlete's build, and some of his older matches on youtube show a guy with decent speed and power. My own personal view is that I would not have expected Gross or Ryan to have beaten him out for the starting spot at 141 next year. It's obviously academic now. Tommy made several laudatory comments about Carton at the beginning of last season. He clearly saw a kid who had bought into the program and who warranted encouragement. I never stop hoping that a guy with guts and desire can make the quantum leap to the upper echelon. Topher: Time to start channeling your inner Dan Dennis. I'm rooting for you.

Topher looked athletic with a great gas tank. He was fun to watch and I hope he can make the next leap if Brody can't make 41.

Agree with that. In their defense (of their characters - not the crimes), they got drunk on St. Patrick's day and broke into some cars and 2 garages on a drunken outing. It very likely was not premeditated robbery. It was not robbery over several nights. They didn't break into houses, just the garages. No real chance for personal contact with the owners. I'm sure they thought it was harmless in their drunkenness. Hopefully, the courts take it easy on them so as not to ruin their lives over one stupid, stupid night.

I guess I don't get this reasoning. How is it any different breaking into the garage vs. the house? It's not your property. You shouldn't be taking stuff from other persons' homes. Being drunk is not an excuse. On what basis do you say this is not "premeditated" robbery? How does burglary happen on the spur of the moment? You have to actually drive to the locations, go into the buildings and take stuff. And then do it repeatedly. By that same logic, people who get high and then break into cars or garages just thought it was "harmless."

There is a huge difference between what they are accused of doing and getting drunk and turning over trash cans or urinating in the street. Whatever punishment comes to them will not be the courts ruining their lives. It will be (hopefully) appropriate punishment for crimes committed. They are the ones to blame for any ruining of their lives.

The instances of highly rated recruits who don't pan out for the Iowa program or fail to live up to expectations for one reason or another are becoming disturbingly frequent.

Slaton, skon, baldosaro, anyone named ballweg or Moore, Carew, dziewa, berge, marlin, gross, just off the top of my head.

Now you're just being a WANG

I doubt Grothus goes @141. Why?

1) the cut is apparently too much for him and would take a consistent effort on his part for the better part of an entire year, Grothus has never proven he can consistently perform at the D1 level for extended periods of time. the discipline required to make the weight for a full season would appear a bridge too far for Grothus.
2) makes too much sense from a planning perspective regarding the line-up next year, this would be the best solution for Grothus and the team so it won't happen

Reactions: Krupnyakov
I guess I don't get this reasoning. How is it any different breaking into the garage vs. the house? It's not your property. You shouldn't be taking stuff from other persons' homes. Being drunk is not an excuse. On what basis do you say this is not "premeditated" robbery? How does burglary happen on the spur of the moment? You have to actually drive to the locations, go into the buildings and take stuff. And then do it repeatedly. By that same logic, people who get high and then break into cars or garages just thought it was "harmless."

There is a huge difference between what they are accused of doing and getting drunk and turning over trash cans or urinating in the street. Whatever punishment comes to them will not be the courts ruining their lives. It will be (hopefully) appropriate punishment for crimes committed. They are the ones to blame for any ruining of their lives.

I guess I am able to give kids the benefit of doubt because I did so much stupid stuff in college when I was drunk that I never would have done when sober. Never something as serious as burglary, but minor infractions that would be very out of character for me. Fortunately, I never got caught. It keeps me off a high horse and understanding of the stupid things that college kids do - athletes and regular Joes.

If you break into somebody's house, you are invading their personal space and may have a face to face confrontation. A garage is a whole different animal to me.

If they planned on doing this while sober and then did it, that is premeditated. If they got drunk, broke into a car or garage and then decided to do it again, that is just continued drunken stupidity to me, not premeditated burglary. But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

It is still possible that one of these guys was just along for the ride and didn't participate in the break ins at all - just didn't stop the other two from doing it.

You will get no argument from me that it was stupid and harmful to others. Alcohol can make you do really stupid stuff that is very out of character. It doesn't always mean that you are a terrible person, just that you made a terrible error in judgement.

JackHawk go read an article on this after the burglary charges were filed...

"According to the Marion Police Department and Linn County Attorney’s Office, the three men worked together to enter and steal items from two garages and seven cars in Marion in the early morning hours of March 18. Police said the men were found in possession of stolen property that was valued between $1,000 and $10,000. The different levels of burglary charges represent breaking into an occupied structure — the attached garages — versus the unoccupied vehicles."

They broke into garages attached to houses, that constitutes an occupied structure. Big difference compared to a detached garage out back, there were people in these structures, peoples homes and sense of security were violated. I was a victim of a burglary a couple of years ago, I was angry that someone had the audacity to come into my property and steal my belongings. How can you serious state that alcohol makes you do stupid stuff, these are felonies. Thank God most college kids can still make good decisions after drinking or there would be a 1000 burglaries every weekend in Iowa City...

Reactions: el dub
Regarding the pre-mediation point, I'm on the side of the law in this one. In one of the garages they broke into, Ross was very aware that the family was on a spring break vacation and therefore not home. He also knew the home had an ADT system so was smart enough to not try to enter the home. The more I'm learning about the events of that night from those in my neighborhood, the more I'm happy these kids are gone.

Regarding the pre-mediation point, I'm on the side of the law in this one. In one of the garages they broke into, Ross was very aware that the family was on a spring break vacation and therefore not home. He also knew the home had an ADT system so was smart enough to not try to enter the home. The more I'm learning about the events of that night from those in my neighborhood, the more I'm happy these kids are gone.

Reading that ^^, it would seem as though he knew the people that he was robbing...niiiice. So much for the notion that a couple of college kids got drunk and then ended up doing random stupid acts, etc.

Although it is very sad that these young men have marred their own record, my sympathy level here is quite low.

"According to the Marion Police Department and Linn County Attorney’s Office, the three men worked together to enter and steal items from two garages and seven cars in Marion in the early morning hours of March 18. Police said the men were found in possession of stolen property that was valued between $1,000 and $10,000. The different levels of burglary charges represent breaking into an occupied structure — the attached garages — versus the unoccupied vehicles."

They broke into garages attached to houses, that constitutes an occupied structure. Big difference compared to a detached garage out back, there were people in these structures, peoples homes and sense of security were violated. I was a victim of a burglary a couple of years ago, I was angry that someone had the audacity to come into my property and steal my belongings. How can you serious state that alcohol makes you do stupid stuff, these are felonies. Thank God most college kids can still make good decisions after drinking or there would be a 1000 burglaries every weekend in Iowa City...

You made the point better than I did. I also get JackHawk's point about second chances and making poor choices with alcohol involved. All of the persons involved can certainly turn their lives around. But what they did is more serious than just making dumb choices.

And just because alcohol is involved doesn't make what a person does any less serious. People are still responsible for their actions, whether or not alcohol is involved.

If it was premeditated and against people they knew, they are just bad kids. I try to give people every benefit of doubt. The more we learn (if true), the harder that is to do.

Off the team for a year....give them the chance to come back after all legal matters resolved. If they come back, they'll be stronger, smarter, more dedicated. If they don't have the fire and don't come back, no loss.

Never quit on a kid (or a person) the first time...never.

Off the team for a year....give them the chance to come back after all legal matters resolved. If they come back, they'll be stronger, smarter, more dedicated. If they don't have the fire and don't come back, no loss.

IF Brands wants them back and it's a big IF then they'll have to earn their ways back and prove themselves just like Marion did in his situation but this is a bigger deal then what Marion did and as more comes out (if it is indeed true) it does not bode well for them

Reactions: smiter

If they get convicted of felony burglary, I'm not sure getting back on ANY team in a year is going to be possible.

If they get convicted of felony burglary, I'm not sure getting back on ANY team in a year is going to be possible.

I'm not sure either. That's why I said "...give them the chance to come back after all legal matters resolved."

I think it's safe to assume Ross Lembeck will not be back on the team - ever - after another arrest on Friday.

I think it's safe to assume Ross Lembeck will not be back on the team - ever - after another arrest on Friday.

Interference with official acts and public intoxication. I think we can bid him adieu.

These will probably be plead down to misdemeanors, with the possible exception of Lembeck. I say this as a criminal defense attorney, though not in Iowa.

Reactions: el dub
Given it was in his home town that the 1st trouble went down I get the feeling Lembeck was X factor here.

MVP...usually it is one driving the others. I was telling my Dad about it cause he read about it in the papers. I told him its a damn shame. I asked him to imagine the time I put into the sport and then double it for guys like Gross and Ryan. His reply: "Holy sh*t, what a waste."

Actually guys it's the exact opposite...heard they were at different parties and Lembeck went over to pick those two up after they called and asked for a ride. Either way completely stupid situation. Gross still has Iowa wrestler on his Twitter account. I could see the young man work his tail off to get back on the team. Remember right, wrong or indifferent these are freshmen kids who made a mistake. Learn and grow and don't let this define you.

Reactions: whejoe
Remember right, wrong or indifferent these are freshmen kids who made a mistake. Learn and grow and don't let this define you.

Agree. I serve on a high school expulsion panel several times a year. It's very common to see kids change and grow after they hear the "Pop" when they pull their head out of their ass. The "pop" usually comes after they've been hammered by the law or the school.

Agree. I serve on a high school expulsion panel several times a year. It's very common to see kids change and grow after they hear the "Pop" when they pull their head out of their ass. The "pop" usually comes after they've been hammered by the law or the school.

I like the imagery! Very well-put!

I heard Zain is going 149. Anyone confirm that?
Well Zain just competed at 145 at the Freestyle Junior Nationals losing to Pico in the finals. It would seem that he would be pretty undersized at 149 6 months from now. Zain's a good-sized 141 (not huge, but perfect frame for the weight, he'd look small next to the top 149 lbers) Zain would certainly be the pre season #1 at 141 with Steebler, Mitchell Port and Devin Carter graduating. The highest returning all American is Dean Heil, who was mediocre until the national tournament. I think Zain would be a heavy favorite to win at 141. 149 on the other hand has some returning studs in Tsirtsis, Sorensen and Clagon. Also Richardson from Old Dominion and Neff from Lock Haven are returning all Americans as well. Assuming Hunter Steiber is healthy, he's at least a strong AA candidate and I'm not buying the rumor that he's cutting down to 141.

My 2 cents

First of all they aren't charged with "robbery". Robbery is taking something from someone using force or fear (like putting a gun in someone's face, or give me your cell phone or I'm gonna kick your ass!) They got charged with burglary. Which is entering a structure with the intent to steal. They don't need to "premeditate" to be guilty of the crime of burglary. If they sat at home for hours planning it ahead of time, or got drunk and decided to break into some cars and garages on a whim it doesn't really matter in the eyes of law. I imagine none of them have criminal records, so that's good for them, I assume that they will be able to plea down some of the charges, but unfortunately that night will likely haunt these boys the rest of the lives. Nothing more frustrating than wasted talent.

Reactions: hawks150
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT