ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin's Popularity Will Never Translate to the WNBA

I follow many of our athletes on X, only a few of the women. But I feel like you are arguing with yourself. I made a fairly benign observation about the league, which is a bit obvious I suppose. But someone like CC shouldn’t have the WNBA’s politics jammed down her throat, and she seems to do a good job of being apolitical. Kind of refreshing.
Apolitical people are the worst. Everything is political. WNBA players (and again, most of our players) get that, I find that refreshing.

...and Ace tickets are really cheap compared to the other live shows in Vegas. Vegas is a desert. People do not want to be outside.

I am very impressed with how both Clark and the WNBA are using this.....but at the end of the day it is an inferior product to the NBA and 2 dozen Clarks will not change that. Even if she kills it in the WNBA... .people will soon tire of watching her great shooting. As for her great passing and assists? Are there going to be some monster dunks on the end?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your opinion has no effect on millions of others.

Its not like Iowa City is a weeks wagon ride from Chicago either "Dude".......
I get what you’re saying but the difference IMO is that, for many people, Chicago is kind of in the middle of nowhere lol. By that metric, that means Iowa City is, well, nowhere haha.

CT is very densely populated, so there is stuff to do and see from Providence all the way to NYC, with midsized cities, beaches/coastal stuff, and destinations like Mohegan Sun/Foxwoods in between (the former of which has a WNBA team!). The Berkshires / Hudson Valley / Catskills aren’t far either — not to mention Boston. Lots of history, good food, college towns, events, diversity you name it

A four hour drive to Chicago (with really nothing worth stopping for in between) doesn’t rly compare. Just giving my opinion as someone who has lived both just outside Hartford and in Iowa City — while dating someone who lived in Chicago (which FWIW is my favorite city in the US, I’ve probably visited 40 times in my life and would love to go back 40 more).

Last edited:
Its not like Iowa City is a weeks wagon ride from Chicago either "Dude".......
It's not. But the surrounding area overall...very different.

U.S-Population-density-Map.jpg

Very informative. Just gets old the whole attitude people have about Iowa being flyover country. Its been funning watching the housing BOOM in the midwest as the coastals (mostly from the left coast) head to the midlands because their world is crumbling into the sea, destroyed by the wrath of God, or financial chaos. The housing construction here in KC is insane.....

Very informative. Just gets old the whole attitude people have about Iowa being flyover country. Its been funning watching the housing BOOM in the midwest as the coastals (mostly from the left coast) head to the midlands because their world is crumbling into the sea, destroyed by the wrath of God, or financial chaos. The housing construction here in KC is insane.....
Hate to break it to you but KC is a cowtown to people on the coasts. I lived in Boston for 4 years and I gave up on getting annoyed by it. I just said I’m from Iowa one of the vowel states. I had a shirt that said aptly said:

Iowa
Idaho City, OH

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop-71
Hate to break it to you but KC is a cowtown to people on the coasts. I lived in Boston for 4 years and I gave up on getting annoyed by it. I just said I’m from Iowa one of the vowel states. I had a shirt that said aptly said:

Iowa
Idaho City, OH
They can say what they want. Thats not my point. The area, and many other midwestern locals are BOOMING because people are moving away from the coasts. I've lived in KC since 1989 and I've never seen the kind of growth and sprawl thats going on right now. I have a few friends in real estate, and this is their take as people flee California in particular. What the snobs think, is their issue, but it is happening....

They can say what they want. Thats not my point. The area, and many other midwestern locals are BOOMING because people are moving away from the coasts. I've lived in KC since 1989 and I've never seen the kind of growth and sprawl thats going on right now. I have a few friends in real estate, and this is their take as people flee California in particular. What the snobs think, is their issue, but it is happening....
I understand reality as well as perception.

Reactions: littlez
The problem with the WNBA is it's a summer basketball league. Just think that alone limits it's growth potential....

The reason they went with that is that many of the players play in over seas leagues and make more money there.

If the WNBA increases in popularity they should seriously consider shifting to a winter league.

Take a Sunday drive through Waukee, Clive, Urbandale and Grimes. Astounding the number of new homes being built. Beautiful homes in the 500k-700k price range. Homes that would cost 5X that much on the East and West Coasts. Couple that with gas that costs twice as much, higher taxes, traffic congestion, dirty air, crime, etc. and it's a wonder anyone still lives there.

Take a Sunday drive through Waukee, Clive, Urbandale and Grimes. Astounding the number of new homes being built. Beautiful homes in the 500k-700k price range. Homes that would cost 5X that much on the East and West Coasts. Couple that with gas that costs twice as much, higher taxes, traffic congestion, dirty air, crime, etc. and it's a wonder anyone still lives there.
Well not surprisingly there’s a difference between “hub of global commerce, world-class entertainment and unlimited culture/events where a car isn’t needed bc of comprehensive public transit” and “great place to buy a house bc real estate is a fraction of the cost” lol.

Different people want different things in life. Those things change of course. In my 20s I loved living in a major city for all those reasons. In my early 30s I decided I wanted to buy a house so I left the city for a smaller town 90 minutes away bc real estate was much cheaper.

If I won the lottery I’d head back to the city in a heartbeat and ditch my car lol. RE is pricier where I live than in the Midwest but not so much that it prevented me from becoming a first time homeowner. I head to Boston/NYC at least once a month and I appreciate all that those places offer, and there’s nothing like my location in the Midwest that can compare. But I don’t have kids so I don’t have to worry about schools
or whatever. Different strokes, different folks.

Last edited:
The problem with the WNBA is it's a summer basketball league. Just think that alone limits it's growth potential....

The reason they went with that is that many of the players play in over seas leagues and make more money there.

If the WNBA increases in popularity they should seriously consider shifting to a winter league.

The NBA was not going to create a league to compete against the NBA...that would be foolish and would tell everyone they didn't want it to succeed. So no it is not moving to be played at the same time as the NBA.

As I have said, you are looking at summer through an Iowa set of eyes. Summer is not the get outside and do outside stuff everywhere. We do outside stuff in the winter where I live. Still do it during the summer for the experienced, but many do not enjoy going on hikes and such when it is 115.

Summer is not the get outside and do outside stuff everywhere. We do outside stuff in the winter where I live. Still do it during the summer for the experienced, but many do not enjoy going on hikes and such when it is 115.
Yep. I was born in Texas, lots of family there. Summer is indoor weather. Winter is when you go out and enjoy a drink on a patio.

What a lot of people aren’t getting IMO about what Clark can do for the W is that the bar is really, really low.

Their viewership is atrocious. They averaged 500k per game last year. I watch a lot of reality tv and ratings always get discussed every week. If The Real Housewives of (insert any city) regularly come in under 1 million, people get fired. If it doesn’t change, it’s at very high risk of getting canceled. The million mark is generally considered the bare minimum expected — it’s not great but it’ll do.

If Clark (and Reese and the other newbies who are also very popular if not the phenomenon that is Clark) can even bring in a modest bump, so that average W viewership approaches a million (or perhaps exceeds it even), that would go a very long way IMO in terms of profitability and buzz.

Last edited:
The NBA was not going to create a league to compete against the NBA...that would be foolish and would tell everyone they didn't want it to succeed. So no it is not moving to be played at the same time as the NBA.

As I have said, you are looking at summer through an Iowa set of eyes. Summer is not the get outside and do outside stuff everywhere. We do outside stuff in the winter where I live. Still do it during the summer for the experienced, but many do not enjoy going on hikes and such when it is 115.
Fair enough.

I’m biased because I made an agreement with the Frau I wouldn’t watch sports during the summer 😂

Trade off for watching too much football and basketball. Summers are for going to the beach and watching the crap she likes 😞

I do not and I imagine others do not watch baseball during the summer. I watch the W.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I've never watched an WNBA game but if it's inferior to an NBA game it must be pretty bad. For me the NBA game is terribly boring to watch - no defense and basically nothing more than a dunk-a-thon with a bunch of overpaid uninterested players.
Inside the WNBA national broadcast schedule
By Aya Abdeen
You want Caitlin Clark? You're getting Caitlin Clark
“Want to chart the Caitlin Clark effect? Look no further than the 2024 national TV schedule released by the WNBA on Wednesday [4/10/24]…”

Reactions: BGHAWK
Why would I give a shit? There are actual problems happening all around the world, trans kids playing sports doesn’t keep me up at night. Live and let live.
So if Lebron James decided he was a woman, you would have no problem with him competing against Caitlyn Clark?

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Why would I give a shit? There are actual problems happening all around the world, trans kids playing sports doesn’t keep me up at night. Live and let live.
I bring it up because you said last year that, anti trans legislation in Iowa hurt Iowa in the portal. My guess is women in sports aren’t as supportive of trans in sports.

I bring it up because you said last year that, anti trans legislation in Iowa hurt Iowa in the portal. My guess is women in sports aren’t as supportive of trans in sports.
Well Jada and Aj have made it known on social that they detest anti-lgbt legislation coming from Iowa. Kennise, Ava, Kate and Monika are all proudly queer and AFAI can tell celebrate the entire queer community. The only interviews I’ve ever seen done with women in the WBB world were with players from Maryland and Dawn Staley, and none of them had any problem with it 🤷🏽‍♂️ My guess is they’re more concerned about having to submit to genital examination or document their periods or whatever other weird ass transphobic right wing proposals have been suggested across the country.

Last edited:
Well Jada and Aj have made it known on social that they detest anti-lgbt legislation coming from Iowa. Kennise, Ava, Kate and Monika are all proudly queer and AFAI can tell celebrate the entire queer community. The only interviews I’ve ever seen done with women in the WBB world were with players from Maryland and Dawn Staley, and none of them had any problem with it 🤷🏽‍♂️ My guess is they’re more concerned about having to submit to genital examination or document their periods or whatever other weird ass transphobic right wing proposals have been suggested across the country.
Pretty loud and opinionated coming from someone with no children. Perspective might change if you had daughters working hard to compete in sports

I don't think any of the legislation that you were upset about target LGB or Q .....only T that chose to participate as women when they started out as men. I know several gay men and a couple lesbians who feel like their fight for equality has been hi jacked but the trans community.. They are supportive of the legislation to protect women's sports. Dawn's comments were shocking to me, so I hope several trans women get together and play at Coastal Carolina and dominate Dawn's Gamecocks. We will see how she feels then.

Pretty loud and opinionated coming from someone with no children. Perspective might change if you had daughters working hard to compete in sports
Doubt it. Maybe your opinion would change if you took a moment to think about why trans people are not a threat to your precious little family. No one cares about your kids, get over yourself and your pathetic little life. You care far more trans kids and their genitals than anyone cares about you. Let kids live their lives.

Reactions: pnw_hawkeye
Doubt it. Maybe your opinion would change if you took a moment to think about why trans people are not a threat to your precious little family. No one cares about your kids, get over yourself and your pathetic little life. You care far more trans kids and their genitals than anyone cares about you. Let kids live their lives.
Bro...when it comes to sports and scholarships, fairness matters. You are right though, other than that, let them live their lives, we can agree on that.

I don't think any of the legislation that you were upset about target LGB or Q .....only T that chose to participate as women when they started out as men. I know several gay men and a couple lesbians who feel like their fight for equality has been hi jacked but the trans community.. They are supportive of the legislation to protect women's sports. Dawn's comments were shocking to me, so I hope several trans women get together and play at Coastal Carolina and dominate Dawn's Gamecocks. We will see how she feels then.
Those gay men and lesbians you know must be as small minded as you. You were “shocked” bc your worldview reflects your small mind, and you have no idea how the wider world works. You’re clearly living in a bubble. Dawn has been applauded by her fans as well as fans of other teams for her comments. I retweeted the clip with clapping hands bc she is a brave queen. She pissed off a lot of crazy conservatives with those remarks and the rest of the world loved it. Oh and btw AJ and Jada WERE talking about anti-trans legislation specifically.

...and Ace tickets are really cheap compared to the other live shows in Vegas. Vegas is a desert. People do not want to be outside.

I am very impressed with how both Clark and the WNBA are using this.....but at the end of the day it is an inferior product to the NBA and 2 dozen Clarks will not change that. Even if she kills it in the WNBA... .people will soon tire of watching her great shooting. As for her great passing and assists? Are there going to be some monster dunks on the end?
Were there any monster dunks at the end of her passes at Iowa? And she drew some pretty big eyes here by the way. Her viewing numbers are going to be huge at the beginning. Now if they don't play exciting ball and she struggles and they lose more than they win obviously they will go down. But she's going to be a ratings monster for awhile.

I've never watched an WNBA game but if it's inferior to an NBA game it must be pretty bad. For me the NBA game is terribly boring to watch - no defense and basically nothing more than a dunk-a-thon with a bunch of overpaid uninterested players.
Tell me you've also never watched an NBA game either since Jordan retired.

Reactions: pnw_hawkeye
Those gay men and lesbians you know must be as small minded as you. You were “shocked” bc your worldview reflects your small mind, and you have no idea how the wider world works. You’re clearly living in a bubble. Dawn has been applauded by her fans as well as fans of other teams for her comments. I retweeted the clip with clapping hands bc she is a brave queen. She pissed off a lot of crazy conservatives with those remarks and the rest of the world loved it. Oh and btw AJ and Jada WERE talking about anti-trans legislation specifically.
I may be living in a bubble, but we will see what happens with male to female transitioned athletes in the NCAA and other levels going forward. I obviously fall on the side of protect the integrity of the sport, you don't. We can agree to disagree, but you don't need to call everyone who disagrees with you crazy, narrow minded, bigoted, etc. I don't care to step on rights, but playing sports isn't a right, it's a privilege.

They would need available arenas. And now you have people spending money on the NBA that would need to buy a ticket for a WNBA game the next night? They can't and don't want to compete against the NBA.

I may be living in a bubble, but we will see what happens with male to female transitioned athletes in the NCAA and other levels going forward. I obviously fall on the side of protect the integrity of the sport, you don't. We can agree to disagree, but you don't need to call everyone who disagrees with you crazy, narrow minded, bigoted, etc. I don't care to step on rights, but playing sports isn't a right, it's a privilege.
I see a little bit of both sides on this and I'm a crazy liberal. Some of the crazy stuff like @blubberhawk talking about LeBron transitioning and playing against CC. It's not happening. What is the % of trans kids that even participate in sports? Have any of your daughters truly lost a position on a high school team to a trans kid? or any of your daughters lost a college scholarship to a trans kid? I"m guessing not. You guys are acting like they're lurking out there waiting to take positions away from your daughters. Is it 1% of athletes in Iowa that are Trans? Now I understand the trans population is growing and things are continuing to change. And I also am a huge supporter of women's sports. And I understand the challenges they have faced over the years to get where they have to have anyone really care about them. Title 9 changed everything for women, for the good. But some of you on the trans and boogeyman taking all these spots from women just isn't a reality, at least at the moment.

I see a little bit of both sides on this and I'm a crazy liberal. Some of the crazy stuff like @blubberhawk talking about LeBron transitioning and playing against CC. It's not happening. What is the % of trans kids that even participate in sports? Have any of your daughters truly lost a position on a high school team to a trans kid? or any of your daughters lost a college scholarship to a trans kid? I"m guessing not. You guys are acting like they're lurking out there waiting to take positions away from your daughters. Is it 1% of athletes in Iowa that are Trans? Now I understand the trans population is growing and things are continuing to change. And I also am a huge supporter of women's sports. And I understand the challenges they have faced over the years to get where they have to have anyone really care about them. Title 9 changed everything for women, for the good. But some of you on the trans and boogeyman taking all these spots from women just isn't a reality, at least at the moment.
trying to just keep it from happening, doesn't mean I think it's a widespread issue. Why wait until it's a bigger problem?

Reactions: warriors dad
Because there aren't any indications that it's ever going to be that big of an issue? It's not like trans people just started existing
there is evidence, not just in the US. So in order to keep it from happening, what harm happens in acting now at the NCAA level, State level, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT