ADVERTISEMENT

Clark turnover to end 1st half

uiowa08

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2004
I feel like this moment sealed the game. We had a chance to take a lead into the half with momentum. That moment took the wind out of the sails and the result was coming out the 2nd half really flat, allowing them to build a big lead that was just too much to overcome.

If you look at the box score, it was an evenly played game in almost every area besides rebounds.
Yup. Second chance points is pretty much the major difference. We ran out of steam at the end and forced some things too. Feel like Bluder should have taken another timeout with a couple min left to get us reset. But it likely doesn’t matter. They were better

I feel like this moment sealed the game. We had a chance to take a lead into the half with momentum. That moment took the wind out of the sails and the result was coming out the 2nd half really flat, allowing them to build a big lead that was just too much to overcome.

I disagree, S.Carolina has far too much size and a roster full of 5 stars, Look at bench scoring and rebounds, IMO game didn’t come down to one single play.

I'm not going to argue with you, but 10 points from our bench changes this whole game.

Don't put everything on CC because it's the easy way.
Who exactly did you expect off the bench to do that when they did nothing last game?

Yup. Second chance points is pretty much the major difference. We ran out of steam at the end and forced some things too. Feel like Bluder should have taken another timeout with a couple min left to get us reset. But it likely doesn’t matter. They were better

It's an aspect of the game that I wish would change ruleswise but sadly I don't think it ever will be.

This has been discussed countless times, She tried, She can only reach out, Cannot make the players return interest, She also said Iowa wasn’t in the ballpark in regards to NIL. Hardly dropping the ball.
There were more than 120 WBB players 6ft 2 or taller who were in the transfer portal. Several ended up on other Big Ten teams. She apparently made a few phone calls. OK, thanks for trying.

There were more than 120 WBB players 6ft 2 or taller who were in the transfer portal. Several ended up on other Big Ten teams. She apparently made a few phone calls. OK, thanks for trying.
Not to mention they could have played with CC and potentially won it all.

This has been discussed countless times, She tried, She can only reach out, Cannot make the players return interest, She also said Iowa wasn’t in the ballpark in regards to NIL. Hardly dropping the ball.
Still find it very hard to believe there wasn’t someone interested and affordable. Just about anyone would be an upgrade over AOG.

Reactions: IGot5onIt
Affolter trying to outrun two of their players after a steal and getting poked from behind also hurt bad. Ogrady trying to shoot into Cardoso multiple times and getting blocked also hurt. The strategy should have been hammered into these girls to take almost all jumpshots this game and fight like hell on the boards. They have the best rim protection of any team.

No, it didn't.

37-0 bench points sealed this game.
Iowa has been winning all season losing the bench scoring matchup. So you’re 100% incorrect here.

It was shooting a lower percentage from 3 and being outscored from fast break. Those two stats are what usually lead to Iowa wins this season. A couple more threes made and connecting on open layups would have had this go down as one of the most exciting national title games.

Instead Iowa had to let them dribble it out,

That turnover was absolutely rough and is hard to have your team ready to talk strategy going into half like that. But that momentum swing wouldn’t have mattered as much if Iowa shoots moderately better from three and is successful on their open looks in paint.

Not to mention they could have played with CC and potentially won it all.
Another major reason why failing to pull in a transfer C/F stings - Iowa should have been a very attractive home for a transfer big….

— the opportunity to join a veteran team; 4 returning starters on a team that played in the national championship game;

— the opportunity to play with arguably the best passer ever to play WBB; numerous high percentage shot opportunities virtually guaranteed every game;

— instant national exposure and the opportunity to play before regularly sold-out crowds;

etc., etc. Bluder had A LOT to sell a quality transfer.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
They have 3 point shooters this time. We beat them last time because they could not shoot. They added a couple players who could and we still couldn't rebound against them and that was the difference. Caitlin needed to be extra special today and the 1st quarter she was but it just fell apart after that.

Iowa has been winning all season losing the bench scoring matchup. So you’re 100% incorrect here

I never said they had to win the bench scoring matchup.

Getting 0 points from our bench killed us vs the best team in the country.

Not sure how that isn't obvious

I never said they had to win the bench scoring matchup.

Getting 0 points from our bench killed us vs the best team in the country.

Not sure how that isn't obvious
and yet Iowa could have won with zero bench points. Iowa doesn’t get much out of their bench all year yet made it to the title game. They had 3 bench points vs UConn, it’s not why they lost.

South Carolina was going to excel in bench scoring as that is what they’ve been doing. This wasn’t a surprise. But if Iowa was going to win they needed to score more from 3. Doesn’t matter if it was starters or bench. But kind of tough to throw McCabe in there when she barely played the last 8 games.

I didn’t really agree with Stuelke sitting so long. So with playing Grady the minutes she got this game and not coming up with points is yes contribution to lost but far from the reason.

IMO, Affolters 1 on 3 turnover was a bigger play than clarks turnover before half. Had the momentum, got a steal and then instead of picking the ball up she tries to beat 3 girls down the floor and gets picked
agreed, that seem to seal the fate of any hope of making the comeback...

Reactions: sm_hawkeye
No way, Clark was looking at a teammate in the corner and got lazy with her dribble. But my gawd the team had one or two good shooting spurts in the 2nd half but overall it was poor shooting when behind that got them.

USC formula half the time is to throw the ball by the rim and with their size gobble up ORebounds and score a whole bunch of 2nd chance points. And wow their depth and bench scoring killed the hawks

Reactions: MilleGinja
I'm not saying Iowa wins the game if not for that. But it kind of sealed the fate looking back at how it played out.

I'm not going to argue with you, but 10 points from our bench changes this whole game.

Don't put everything on CC because it's the easy way.
The problem is they don't really have a bench. Affolter was the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT